Han

Developer Diary, Part 192 - Discussion

9 hours ago, UF_Viking said:

What p-47 will be flyable ? The Bubbletop or the Razorback ?

It is ma favorite plane :)

Bubble, confirmed by Jason in the Q&A.

• Thanks 1

The 40% discount email also mentions:

Soon, customers who placed their pre-order will be able to fly the first two aircraft of the Bodenplatte plane-set, stay tuned!

Any idea which two planes?

11 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Bubble, confirmed by Jason in the Q&A.

Gimme the Bubble Top :popcorm:

avp47_04.png851719ddc3bebc0950add1511514f779.jpg

Edited by PA_Spartan-
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

With every photo and every artist's rendering it always strikes me anew just how bloody massive the P-47 is/was.

Really, really, really looking forward to it. More so than anything else in Bodenplatte.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Gimme the Bubble Top :popcorm:

avp47_04.png851719ddc3bebc0950add1511514f779.jpg

I love the look of the razorback Jug, always have... the bubble top version does nothing for me at all.

Same goes for the P-51, the B and C versions, love them... but not the bubble top version...

• Upvote 1

Well the razorback would be perfect for 1943 scenarios but I doubt this was the norm in 44, also what il-2 player right in his mind would want to have zero rear visibility on yet another plane?

• Upvote 1

Bubble top ftw! Gutted the spit isn’t getting one :dry:

Beloved devs, new map looks top notch. Is it possible to implement more variation on vegetation? It needs more imperfections like tree cutting, scattered areas.. Maybe more different tree height and types. I know it can be cpu expensive but it could be set in ultra vegetation sort of. I also believe trees can´t receive shadows right? The game is beautiful but this is the only thing the bother me and not only on Il-2 series but in general.

Cheers.

God, I love the P-47. It was great to fly in Il-2 1946. I can't fly the thing worth a crap but I love it. I can't wait to see how they handle it in new Il-2. Given the higher fidelity of modeling here, I wonder how they're going to do the turbocharger?

I like the razorback better than the bubble top too, but lets be honest, the cockpit vis in the razorback is truly awful. "Do you like cockpit visibility? Screw you, have a bar right down the middle of the front windscreen! And rear visibility? What's that, some kind of hippy-commie bullcrap?"

Seriously, no one who designed that canopy seemed to think fighter pilots needed to see anything. At least you could run around inside the cockpit when someone decided to shoot at you.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Seriously, no one who designed that canopy seemed to think fighter pilots needed to see anything. At least you could run around inside the cockpit when someone decided to shoot at you.

Well, when the '47 was being designed, that was pretty much the norm for American fighters. Look at all the late thirties fighter designs. They melded the canopy into the fuselage shape for "streamlining." It wasn't done on the Aircobra, probably because of the need for the engines air intake behind the canopy.  And the P-38, either, of course, since it wasn't hindered by having a fuselage back there. 

Only flight simmers would want to have the old models because they're "cool looking." Real fighter pilots were happy to finally be able to see behind them without kicking the rudder to move the tail section out of the way.

1 minute ago, Poochnboo said:

Well, when the '47 was being designed, that was pretty much the norm for American fighters. Look at all the late thirties fighter designs. They melded the canopy into the fuselage shape for "streamlining." It wasn't done on the Aircobra, probably because of the need for the engines air intake behind the canopy.  And the P-38, either, of course, since it wasn't hindered by having a fuselage back there. 

Only flight simmers would want to have the old models because they're "cool looking." Real fighter pilots were happy to finally be able to see behind them without kicking the rudder to move the tail section out of the way.

Yeah but why the bar right in the middle of the front window?

That was typical of the Seversky and early Republic designs by Kartveli. It, also, was done for streamlining. It was felt that it allowed a smoother flow of air around the cockpit rather that a resistant, flat, piece of glass. Experience in combat, of course, showed that the flat piece of bullet poof plexi-glass was a hell of a lot more important. Rather than redesign the windscreens on the razorbacks, the flat panel was bolted on inside the cockpit, instead. Naturally, the later models benifitted from all of that combat experience and the bubble canopied jugs had bullet proof windscreens built into them.

15 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Yeah but why the bar right in the middle of the front window?

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2018 at 10:59 AM, RedKestrel said:

God, I love the P-47. It was great to fly in Il-2 1946. I can't fly the thing worth a crap but I love it. I can't wait to see how they handle it in new Il-2. Given the higher fidelity of modeling here, I wonder how they're going to do the turbocharger?

I like the razorback better than the bubble top too, but lets be honest, the cockpit vis in the razorback is truly awful. "Do you like cockpit visibility? Screw you, have a bar right down the middle of the front windscreen! And rear visibility? What's that, some kind of hippy-commie bullcrap?"

It's definitely my favorite plane in IL-2 1946 too.  I love how fast it was above 21000 feet, how it could dive like missile and shoot right back up the same way in an unloaded zoom climb.  I will gladly wait for the greatest simulation of a Thunderbolt ever, and I mean that.  The degree of fidelity of which these planes are modeled will most likely never be repeated as WW2 pilots are fewer and fewer and no one has been able to match this studio's commitment to detail and the "feel" of flying the aircraft.  One of my favorite moments was when I landed my Sturmovik in heavy snow.  I was flying the "Ghosts in the Snow" mission in Battle of Stalingrad.  I couldn't find the trucks but got two Stukas.  I've driven in snow and heavy rain.  Now it felt like I was flying in it with the rain bands on the windshield.  I managed to trace my route back along the road and find the river, following it until I reached the bridge and headed east.  Moving my head around the cockpit I managed to find my airfield and land.  I pulled up next to a group of trees with snow laden branches.  After I shut down the engine, I looked around the cockpit and noticed the snow melting on the windshield, I opened the canopy and the snow started melting on my goggles.  Wow, just wow. Thank you 1C.

• Like 1

It's been a while since the last dev diary. Don't know about the rest of you,  but latelly I have been checking several times a day for the new dev diary entry. Boy oh boy!

2 hours ago, danielprates said:

It's been a while since the last dev diary. Don't know about the rest of you,  but latelly I have been checking several times a day for the new dev diary entry. Boy oh boy!

Just subscribe to the Announcements--> Developer Diary section and you will get an email when there is a new one. You can do the same with the Game Update section.

• Sad 1

I Would like to see dev diary every week,no matter what update or development event or some pictures.
no dev diary in this two weeks,what a long long two weeks:blink: 

Edited by Takuya_liang
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, danielprates said:

Yeeesssss... let the addiction flow through you....

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Just subscribe to the Announcements--> Developer Diary section and you will get an email when there is a new one. You can do the same with the Game Update section.

You’ve changed my life

8 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Great idea!  Tks

7 hours ago, Takuya_liang said:

I Would like to see dev diary every week,no matter waht update or development event or some pictures.

Funny how it feels like much longer!

10 hours ago, Takuya_liang said:

I Would like to see dev diary every week,no matter waht update or development event or some pictures.

I would love to see that too, but I imagine it takes a lot longer to write those things than one would think. It's always a bit nerve wracking drafting a report for public consumption, so even a small 'diary entry' probably takes a while to write/edit/scrap entirely because you're not happy with it and try again.

Perhaps better to wait a while longer and do one big one every once in a while. Get enough depth to it so @Space_Ghost can properly baste himself.

• Upvote 2

so i'm trying to figure out how multiplayer servers gonna integrate the new spitfire and G-14 e.g in TAW and WOL .. are we gonna have a front with only two planes !!!! how it's gonna work , the second thing . will the developers drop a campaign for those two airplanes or will they wait for the whole BodenPlatte to drop then drop the campaign .. 

third it's a suggestion for developers . it will be very nice to drop a news letter every weekend . litteraly every dev diary makes us happy and more attracted to the content , we have an addiction-like sympotoms to the diaries 

thank you guys for the really good game and hard work , keep it up ,you are the best guys .

Edited by =RD=BlackRaven

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I would love to see that too, but I imagine it takes a lot longer to write those things than one would think. It's always a bit nerve wracking drafting a report for public consumption, so even a small 'diary entry' probably takes a while to write/edit/scrap entirely because you're not happy with it and try again.

Perhaps better to wait a while longer and do one big one every once in a while. Get enough depth to it so @Space_Ghost can properly baste himself.

Absolutely agree. As simple as they look, writing these kinds of updates is really stressful and requires a million re-writes. Even more so when they are being read by so many people and the community is very vocal.

I used to write updates on an internal company blog and those short posts took a long time to write.

1 hour ago, =RD=BlackRaven said:

so i'm trying to figure out how multiplayer servers gonna integrate the new spitfire and G-14 e.g in TAW and WOL .. are we gonna have a front with only two planes !!!! how it's gonna work 

Thats totally up to the MP server owners.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Absolutely agree. As simple as they look, writing these kinds of updates is really stressful and requires a million re-writes. Even more so when they are being read by so many people and the community is very vocal.

I used to write updates on an internal company blog and those short posts took a long time to write.

Thats totally up to the MP server owners.

In my job most of the stuff I write is intended to be publically available. I can't tell you how much more effort goes into one paragraph when there's a good chance my writing will end up quoted in the newspaper, part of a FOIA request, or read out at a government meeting. 

As far as multiplayer goes, I could see the BF109G-14 and Spit IX being useable in a really late Kuban scenario, available in limited numbers (maybe the last map of a TAW campaign or something?). Some version of the Spit IX were available in 1943 and the G-14 isn't that much crazier performance-wise than the G-6 right?

And you can always fly them on Berloga, I was fighting Bf-109Gs and FW-190s with an I-16 last night and it was still a ton of fun. (the kind of fun where you get blown into tiny fragments)

• Like 1

On 16/05/2018 at 6:27 PM, RedKestrel said:

In my job most of the stuff I write is intended to be publically available. I can't tell you how much more effort goes into one paragraph when there's a good chance my writing will end up quoted in the newspaper, part of a FOIA request, or read out at a government meeting. 

What are you writing that could end up in the news or subject to a FOIA request?

2 minutes ago, Royal_Flight said:

What are you writing that could end up in the news or subject to a FOIA request?

How about we stay on topic for once?

10 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

How about we stay on topic for once?

Uh oh, the fun police are here... classic. 

13 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

Well, I work in local government. So any document I write, with some exceptions, can get FOI'd. And I give comments to the local reporters often enough. And anything I say at a public meeting can be quoted/misquoted later on in the newspaper.

Anyway, how about that Il-2 Sturmovik? I hear its a hell of a game, shame there's nowhere we can go to talk about it, instead of talking about work.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

Uh oh, the fun police are here... classic. 

I'd love for once - just once - to have a DD topic not go off on stupid tangents. But, I know that'll never happen.

• Upvote 2