Han

Developer Diary, Part 192 - Discussion

looks amazing, even the partial snow fields,  agree with coconut, though it could be easily late spring, where the snow melts by the afternoon ;)

8 minutes ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

looks amazing, even the partial snow fields,  agree with coconut, though it could be easily late spring, where the snow melts by the afternoon ;)

interesting..does this mean we ll go to say, april of 1945 in the game?

Very impressive, did not think we would see the map so soon.:salute:

So do you know yet the actual area to be covered or is it a case of adding some objects and roads and seeing what the game can take before finalizing the boundaries?

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

The airfields list is ready and we have collected enough information to make them.

Well the next question can only be, what are they? :lol: Phenomenal looking WIP map!

next stop Western Europe, would be so nice if we had a portion of the channel though..

i'll be cruising in the Spitfire Mk.IX that's for sure

(i guess the FW 190-D will be a matter of time)

Thanks!!!  And concratulations for that new map tech! Thats big thing i assume.

Thanks

For great work and for all your dedication and skill to seeking to make the game even better'

Appreciated.

As you are using geodata, there are a lot of websites available that have original airfield photographs. Would it be possible to use these to create authentic airfield textures and layouts on your map?

14 hours ago, coconut said:

You are working fast, that's impressive.

One thing I didn't like was the snow/frost over green fields. I would expect more brown, muddy colors. If the period is late winter/early spring, nature shouldn't have had time to get green yet. If it's late fall/early winter, it should already have gotten brown.

I can tell you that in wintertime (early and late winter) underneath snow the fields are very green here.

Almost like it is in summertime.

Green Fields01.JPG

Sneeuw Weiland.jpg

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

I can tell you that in wintertime (early and late winter) underneath snow the fields are very green here.

Yep! Except for the Ardennes/Eifel area we (Belgium, Netherlands and Lower-Rhine Region of Germany) usually have mild winters with only few days (if weeks at all) of snow. We get mostly rain here, english summer so to speak :P.

However Winter 1944/45 was unusually cold, also in western europe. That was, amongst other causes, one reason for the so called Dutch famine of 1944–45, known as the Hongerwinter ("Hunger winter"). The canals froze over and became impassable for barges. Estimates suggest at least 22,000 civilian deaths by starvation in the still nazi occupied parts of the netherlands. Most of the victims were reported to be elderly men. Sad times...

First I must say, I am from Belgium!

The pictures, that are fantastic by the way, in today update are only a little part of Belgium.

Belgium is divided by big and little rivers and is +- 300km long for +- 150 km from North to South.

But first in 1944 the winter was terrible? with snow falls outside normality, and temperatures way lower than normal.

Then Belgium on the coast (west/north side the altitude rises slowly from zero toward the center of country passing the first big/major river l'Escaut/Schelde to later get to height of between 20 to 100 meters. Still going South/East you shall sometime later encounter the second big river, the Meuse/Maas but altitudes are now a bit higher to 200 or 300 meter is you continue in the direction of Luxembourg or Germany a little more to the north you could encounter heights of up to 700meters before reaching the border. the next big River you do cross is the great barrier of the Rhin/Rhein/Rijn this is in Germany or the Nederland’s.

One last note there a lot of rivers in Belgium, lot of little towns and villages, but also at the time 10 or so big cities, for a population of +- 6 million for the country in 1944.

Ho yes I forgot My parents, I am 63, did live and where adults during the war in Belgium. :salute:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diggun said:

Based on geodata eh? Right then Forum: Name That River!

thats because there's no shading, but its the same area as the post below yours.

26 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

Green Fields01.JPG

Nice.

Thousand thanks and yes Belgium is a unique weather country. You need 20 other countries to find all the weather of Belgium’s type of Belgium...:salute:

4 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

thats because there's no shading, but its the same area as the post below yours.

Belgium earth is Brown and heavy even were it is sandy it is like clay, look at all the WW1 descriptions of it.

When shall they release the map?!

If they want somthing very realistic....

Later a lot later..:salute:

1 hour ago, coconut said:

You are working fast, that's impressive.

One thing I didn't like was the snow/frost over green fields. I would expect more brown, muddy colors. If the period is late winter/early spring, nature shouldn't have had time to get green yet. If it's late fall/early winter, it should already have gotten brown.

...also shouldnt the trees be leafless unless they are pines? (nah, I think this is more than good enough)

actually, I can't remember if I have pre-paid for this now?

Edited by 1./KG4_OldJames

3 minutes ago, senseispcc said:

When shall they release the map?!

If they want somthing very realistic....

Later a lot later..:salute:

7 minutes ago, 64sTomio_VR said:

Cool DD ;)

Now, what we need to know is when is Devs plan to release Bodenplatte map ?

In 2018 ? in 2019 ?

Isn't it on pre order right now? Very soon it looks to me.

Oh Mama! Honestly, I was being patient. Well, so much for THAT now. Yeah, that's going to be some serious fun flying over that. As to when...well, they are working very quickly, it seems. We may see an early version of this before the year is up. 

I can't believe that people are already nitpicking about the colors while it's still very much a work in progress, though. But, yeah, coming in low over that landscape in a P-38 or P-47...a WW2 flight simmers wetdream.

Edited by Poochnboo

Extremely impressive..I've been involved in flight simulators for over twenty years..and I've not seen a development studio move as quickly, with fantastic quality, as the IL2 team has. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, [CVW8]JohanLoton said:

Extremely impressive..I've been involved in flight simulators for over twenty years..and I've not seen a development studio move as quickly, with fantastic quality, as the IL2 team has. 

True. The pacing they have is impressive.  I also like that with every iteration, patch or hotfix the whole BoX system gets better and better and every subrelease, may it be BoM, BoS or BoK benefits from the newly introduced features. Great concept.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sevenless said:

True. The pacing they have is impressive.  I also like that with every iteration, patch or hotfix the whole BoX system gets better and better and every subrelease, may it be BoM, BoS or BoK benefits from the newly introduced features. Great concept.

Indeed. I've been in the DCS world for a long time and it's so hard with multiplayer given how it can break the multiplayer community. I love the IL2 model, and obviously they're not hurting for customers. 

2 hours ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

I've been hoping for a transitional map like that. I know it's an early work in progress map but I hope the snow-non snow tiles will blend together more. It looks like a snow tile plunked down in the middle of a green field in those pictures. I'm sure there will be a much more subtle change as the map matures.

Like several other people said, these pictures were unexpected. I did not expect to see this much progress so soon after Kuban. :)

1 hour ago, Smoke_Fan said:

Isn't it on pre order right now? Very soon it looks to me.

They said Early Access starts Spring 2018, however it's fair to say they're going to miss that target..and that's okay. Kuban is still very new and It wasn't realistic to expect Bodenplatte to show up only two or three months later. 

I'm curious how bodenplatte will fit into the current scheme of the great battle series...?

For example, will we be able to fly Russian planes in bodenplatte maps?

Will we be able to fly American planes on Russian maps? 

Will this mean that until the day of release with the map, will we have no access to the planes on multiplayer (because 1944 vs 43, unless a map maker makes exceptions)

The maps are looking good.

Can't wait for the new aircraft; only problem for me then will be which one to choose to fly :biggrin:

Just now, [CVW8]JohanLoton said:

They said Early Access starts Spring 2018, however it's fair to say they're going to miss that target..and that's okay. Kuban is still very new and It wasn't realistic to expect Bodenplatte to show up only two or three months later. 

Might be that the Mk IX spitfire and the G-14 constitute their way of early acces

2 minutes ago, [CVW8]JohanLoton said:

As summer doesn't start until June 21st, I'd say they're right on track for a Spring start. Wasn't it recently said the first two planes were soon to be released?

7 minutes ago, GridiroN said:

I'm curious how bodenplatte will fit into the current scheme of the great battle series...?

For example, will we be able to fly Russian planes in bodenplatte maps?

Will we be able to fly American planes on Russian maps? 

Will this mean that until the day of release with the map, will we have no access to the planes on multiplayer (because 1944 vs 43, unless a map maker makes exceptions)

Since we were able to use every plane from every module on any map so far, even if it isn't fitting into the historical time frame, it seems to be very likely that we'll be able to fly Russian planes on the coming Western map and American planes on the maps we already have. Therefore we most likely won't be forced for the Bodenplatte map to be finished to try out the new rides.

Of course this is just an educated guess, but it seems very plausible to me due to how things have been handled by the developers so far.

Edited by Fritz_X

8 minutes ago, [CVW8]JohanLoton said:

How So? Spring doesn't end for another 2 months. Bulk of the work is done, have faith young padawan.

You know what I dream of?

There is 25, maybe 26.12.2018, some early morning hour, my Wife and Son are still sleeping, CD player is playing Frank Sinatra's Christmas songs that my Wife bought last year. I am starting Il-2, choosing P-51 and I am cruising and cruising and cruising over Belgium...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Smoke_Fan said:

They said Early Access starts Spring 2018, however it's fair to say they're going to miss that target..

I thought I read that, next month, we are getting the first Bodenplatte airplanes. Next month is still Spring. Geez, guys! If I were a game developer, I dion't think I'd say anything until the game was ready for release!

11 minutes ago, sunrrrise said:

You know what I dream of?

There is 25, maybe 26.12.2018, some early morning hour, my Wife and Son are still sleeping, CD player is playing Frank Sinatra's Christmas songs that my Wife bought last year. I am starting Il-2, choosing P-51 and I am cruising and cruising and cruising over Belgium...

That would be a Christmas present many of us are hoping for. If it doesn't happen, I'd be ok with flying my shiny new Mustang over Kuban all the same.

Sinatra is good. Great even. But, to my mind, I'll go with Bing or Dino everyday for those classic Christmas songs. Better actors than Sinatra too.

Edited by Rjel
Musical interlude.

40 minutes ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

is there a hotfix list some where?  Updating now.

bump up !

?

Just now, TWHYata_PL said:

bump up !

?

here you go

• Thanks 1