Han

Developer Diary, Part 192 - Discussion

I imagine this map will not take too much time, since they will have to make another map for Flying Circus, and then a map of Kursk for the tank game. That I think was the biggest driving need for a new way to do maps for in game.

If you were not doing this for the other maps I hope this becomes a new.standard for you.  Not that there is any issue with the others but these new shots look very nice and the speed that you delivered them in is truly impressive.  What a great job team!

48 minutes ago, Rjel said:

That would be a Christmas present many of us are hoping for. If it doesn't happen, I'd be ok with flying my shiny new Mustang over Kuban all the same.

Sinatra is good. Great even. But, to my mind, I'll go with Bing or Dino everyday for those classic Christmas songs. Better actors than Sinatra too.

IIRC remember correct from their FAQ (YouTube 2017) announcement of Bodenplatte in 2017 it is planned to be released 2019. First early access planes will be 109 G14 and Spit IX in Mai 2018. So most likely it will be a release date similar to BoK. Somewhere in the March/April range of 2019 for the full version. 

This new technology, does it mean that the Devs will start producing more maps in a much faster pace?

Many maps and planes is what we need right now.

I love these half snowed maps!

Edited by PA_Spartan-

That map is looking amazing...I'm floored once again.

As far as settlements etc.

I know you guys are under the gun and you'll do what you can do - period.

As a mission designer however I'm hoping you include many/most of the villages etc, as they are important for ambience, for landmarks, and most importantly for cover for advancing/retreating units, and reference points for air strikes. 

I'll be happy with whatever I get, just saying.... :ph34r:

Screenshots look awesome, in fact BoX landscapes and terrain/vegetation details made my day everytime I fly :) 

One note, however: Autumn forests should be much more colorful, than uniform brown. As we can see:

4 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

We still do not know the region covered by the Bodenplate map? If it is the same size than one of the Russian maps it shall at least cover a major part of Belgium. From Brussels to Germany in case of Moscow map and from the sea to Germany in case of the Stalingrad map for the Kuban map something in betwen the two. And from North to South from the French frontier to the Dutch one to the north in any case. Otherwise like in many game the map shall be very small. No?! :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

Its a great thing to see the development progressinf this fast.

From the little I can see of the map,  it looks gorgeous. Actually,  to be fair,  it looks as good as the others,  which is to say a lot. And it kinda feels european too!

Edited by danielprates

Map looks great. Now im wondering what the RAF and USAAF pilots are going to look like. Wonder if the work has started on those? If were going to get a new spitfire in may im guessing work has already started on the chap in the cockpit. Be nice for a sneak peak next DD.

Great job on the map again.

Looking really good, and unexpected to see so much progress this soon.  One small nit - is there any way to address/tone down the white banks of the rivers?  They look like they have sandy beaches along the edges, and I don't remember seeing rivers over there (or anywhere else I've been) looking like that.

I will buy every settlement you make :)

Astounded that the map is this far along so soon after the Kuban release! Nor did I think it possible to make a map even prettier than Kuban, but you went and did it!

Honestly, maps are a big part of the game for me.  I appreciate updates like this just as much or more than about new aircraft.  

Ceowulf<><

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, NETSCAPE said:

In particular the winter season looks better. 

It's all about the winter on this map.

I don't think I'll ever have a reason to even load up the other season pre-sets in the editor.

Le tits now

Looking real nice! :).

Cannot wait to fly the Tempest on that map, along with the P-51 and Mustang. Another set of multiple careers :).

3 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

This new technology, does it mean that the Devs will start producing more maps in a much faster pace?

Many maps and planes is what we need right now.

I love this half snowed maps!

I'm not clear on what parts will be handled by a third party but I'm guessing that the map team will have their hands full directly supporting all three projects. The Bodenplatte map, the Flying Circus map, and the Prokhorovka map for Tank Crew (and that's supposed to be done with a few more low level details - which probably means a little more work for the team).

109Ks and Doras will seed those fields with allied aircraft smoke collumns :ph34r:

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

109Ks and Doras will seed those fields with allied aircraft smoke collumns :ph34r:

Sure. After all, they had Jan. 01, 1945 to practice it. Maybe it'll work this time!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

109Ks and Doras will seed those fields with allied aircraft smoke collumns

And the gauntlet has been thrown down. We'll meet you goose-stepping savages over Belgium and we'll see whose remains are laying in those smoking holes in the ground. 

• Like 1

nice i cant wait everything that you guys will put out i will buy i cant get enought of IL-2 at work i just wanna go home and fly lol:wacko:

Edited by Winglesschip209

Looks AWESOME. I'm really looking forward to the early release so that we can (hopefully) have a totally new experience. Well done the dev team and thank you,:salute:

11 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

[...]

I can't believe that people are already nitpicking about the colors while it's still very much a work in progress, though. [...]

Well it makes more sense now than when it's already released

11 hours ago, Rjel said:

I've been hoping for a transitional map like that. I know it's an early work in progress map but I hope the snow-non snow tiles will blend together more. It looks like a snow tile plunked down in the middle of a green field in those pictures. I'm sure there will be a much more subtle change as the map matures.

Like several other people said, these pictures were unexpected. I did not expect to see this much progress so soon after Kuban. :)

That is actually what happens in real life this checkboard pattern when snow falls on the fields.

Some parts are covered with snow and others not.

I've seen this happening so many times and never knew how it comes. I've read on several webfora unsatisfying answers like short grass/long grass, ploughed/unploughed fields, partially fertilized fields.

Couldn't find a video with early snow but even with more snow the patchwork is still visible.

01.jpg

7 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I'm not clear on what parts will be handled by a third party but I'm guessing that the map team will have their hands full directly supporting all three projects. The Bodenplatte map, the Flying Circus map, and the Prokhorovka map for Tank Crew (and that's supposed to be done with a few more low level details - which probably means a little more work for the team).

But, I guess that in the new IL2 GBS everything will be intertwined, right? So, you can use the maps of  one of the tittle for the the other ones, that is to say, you can fly in the Prokhorovka map, use the tanks in any map and even fly the WW1 planes along the WW2 as in an Airshow. Am I right? :pilot:

Edited by PA_Spartan-
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

But, I guess that in the new IL2 GBS everything will be intertwined, right? So, you can use the maps of  one of the tittle for the the other ones, that is to say, you can fly in the Prokhorovka map, use the tanks in any map and even fly the WW1 planes along the WW2 as in an Airshow. Am I right? :pilot:

I'm kind hoping you are, because the gameplay possibillities you're describing in this way are very nearly endless!

The new map looks great.

Looking forward to the final product.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Pretty cool!

Im kind of sad that my home (Lorraine) won't be part of the map, I would have loved to fly over Metz.

Or Maybe you did add Metz Frescaty Air Base?

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

11 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Pretty cool!

Im kind of sad that my home (Lorraine) won't be part of the map, I would have loved to fly over Metz.

Or Maybe you did add Metz Frescaty Air Base?

I'm kinda sad my home isn't in Lorraine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

There's no reason I would expect otherwise. It's always been a sandbox environment so we'll be able to fly over whatever you own.

Prokhorovka will be interesting as its primarily oriented at the ground warfare but Jason did say in the Q&A that the map would have airfields on it and its supposed to be 100x100km(ish - I think) so we've got some space to operate in. It's not War Thunder tanks. That's for sure :)

20 minutes ago, BOO said:

I'm kinda sad my home isn't in Lorraine!

Why though? Because of how the ground is filled with history? I have to say it was a very interesting place to grow up in.

The cool part was exploring the underground networks of bunkers running throught the hills, the sad part is there's tons of cemeteries and frankly that didn't exactly made me want to go in the army.

In my village (Marange-Silvange) we still have an old Prussian cemetery from the war of 1870, a castle (with some traces of the revolution still visible (the coat of arms got hammered) and a Church that dates back the the middle ages we even have a mass grave below the Church where all the victims of the black plague are buried.

Where my Grandparents lived there are still the remains of an old roman aquaduc dating back to Emperor Augustus also a bunch of roads are still the old Roman ones.

The remains of 291 Prussians are under those crosses:

800px-Cimetiere_prussiens_Marange_Silvange.jpg.0b3db5ab47a726a4168083258a4c49af.jpg

This is where you enter the underground world:

underground.thumb.jpg.af3dfa991b6b3ad755d6efafeebaef55.jpg

The aquaduc :

aqueduc_metz1.thumb.jpg.c073345c0e83310a3b56daaded753e3e.jpg

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

And the gauntlet has been thrown down. We'll meet you goose-stepping savages over Belgium and we'll see whose remains are laying in those smoking holes in the ground. 

10 hours ago, Rjel said:

Sure. After all, they had Jan. 01, 1945 to practice it. Maybe it'll work this time!

This time you won't have 20 to 1 ratio advantage ;)

18 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Why though? Because of how the ground is filled with history? 

History, Culture, People, Place and scenery (in any order you like :-))

• Like 1

I was amazed when I heard that even today the German KMBD remove about 2000 tons of unexploded ordnance and  the French Department Of Mine Clearance clears 900 tons of unexploded ordnance *every* year!   Most of the German stuffis post WWII and concentrated near the major cities while the majority of the French stuff dates back to WW1 and often includes gas & chemicals.

Can one of the locals guess at outline which areas the pics cover? Can help indicate what the entire map might span.

The semi-snow one looks drop dead gorgeous. Like.. wow. :o:

Easily the most beautiful landscape you have created for this series so far.

Unfortunately all I can think of now is that I want a similar thing for the older maps, hah :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Can one of the locals guess at outline which areas the pics cover? Can help indicate what the entire map might span.

I've heard Nandrin mentioned a couple of times now. It's a small area near Liege, Belgium..

Please, please, please can we have a 21.9 screen shot of the new map so I can use it as my desktop wallpaper 😎

3 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

This is where you enter the underground world:

The aquaduc :

aqueduc_metz1.thumb.jpg.c073345c0e83310a3b56daaded753e3e.jpg

ça serait y pas du côté de Ars sur Moselle ce viaduc ? ;)