Jade_Monkey

Community made radio commands for SP

Posted (edited)

I wanted to gauge the interest on making community made radio commands (mp3 files) that we can then all use for SP missions or campaigns. A pool of files that we can share among mission makers and improve add as a community by combining our talents.

I tried recording a few myself but they didn't sound very good with my accent. Also the radio effects were kind of poor but someone here might know how to make them better.

Anyone has any interest in making something like this?

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm VERY interested, and was thinking about looking for volunteers to help.The need arises for my upcoming P-47 campaign.

I have no previous sound editing experience, and I'm looking to make this as simple as possible.

Some good free-ware program, a simple recorder, and simple static sound to mix in with the commands.

I hadn't yet begun my research into this. I also wasn't planning on using my own voice, I hate the way I sound recorded, over the phone etc...I always think I sound like a kid.

I need chatter...ambience. I've asked/suggested to the devs that a library of English mp3 files be provided for use in the editor etc, but that might not happen on their end.

It was done in 46. Is it possible here? If so it would definitely improve things. Who made that RAF voice pack for 46 where the skipper was always on about drinking too much wine? Cracked me up for quite a while.

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I have no idea how to edit soundfiles but if you need a native german speaker with a decent microphone just send me a PM, I'll try to help you out in recording some things.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Some good free-ware program, a simple recorder, and simple static sound to mix in with the commands.

I hadn't yet begun my research into this. I also wasn't planning on using my own voice, I hate the way I sound recorded, over the phone etc...I always think I sound like a kid.

Check out Audacity, a free audio editor and recorder.

• Upvote 1

Will do - thank you.

That's the start I needed.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Will do - thank you.

That's the start I needed.

For static, you could try Generate > Noise > White, in Audacity. There is a preview button in the Noise dialog.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1

I played around in Audacity before, it seems like using the equalizer is the way to go for radio comms.

I've used the MP3 files from the original IL2 46 in some of my missions but I'm not sure to what point that's considered fair use.

They do have a very decent library of unencripted mp3 files under the Speech folder. Maybe we dont need to re-do if if someone can confirm that by using them we are not stealing. They might even be from the community made patches in Il2 46, i really dont know.

Where can those be found?

I need some specific sound files as well, certain forward 9th Air Force controllers and such.

"Turndown Blue One, this is Marmite, contacts bearing 240, Angles 10"...etc etc.

As well as "cut the chatter!" and things like that.

Still, I'd like to look at those 1946 files...pretty sure we can use them, 1C and all....

I am German and have experience with voice work. If you need to take some lines in German or English with accents of varying thickness, PM me.

• Like 1

@Gambit21 if you have the original IL2 installed, look for a folder called "Speech". Might be buried in other folders.

@Raban. Thanks! Im definitely interested. Can you also do fake russian accent by any chance? I am thinking of making all radio chatter in english with accents for germans and russians. Otherwise many people wont know what's happening.

What do you guys think?

On 13/3/2018 at 6:26 PM, Jade_Monkey said:

I wanted to gauge the interest on making community made radio commands (mp3 files) that we can then all use for SP missions or campaigns. A pool of files that we can share among mission makers and improve add as a community by combining our talents.

I tried recording a few myself but they didn't sounds very good with my accent. Also the radio effects were kind of poor but someone here might know how to make them better.

Great idea. I use (with permission) the radio coms of Veteran66 of Velikie Luki in my personal missions and are great. But great for those who don´t understand german, because I used for situations that maybe don´t match with the radio coms.

Only for " improve the ambient"

Salute!

On 13/3/2018 at 6:26 PM, Jade_Monkey said:

I tried recording a few myself but they didn't sounds very good with my accent. Also the radio effects were kind of poor but someone here might know how to make them better.

If you want spanish voices, I cand do that for some voices. Spanish from south america.

Bros. I have Cubase 8 pro. I make music primarily but I have touched up and recovered voice recordings before (eq, compression, stereo-imaging ect). I'd post a link to some music I made recently but I think that sort of self-promotion is probably breaking some sort of forum rule. To put my love of sound into perspective... my speakers cost more than any computer I've ever built...

On 14.3.2018 at 5:31 AM, Gambit21 said:

I need some specific sound files as well, certain forward 9th Air Force controllers and such.

"Turndown Blue One, this is Marmite, contacts bearing 240, Angles 10"...etc etc.

Can record those in German and in English with deep german accent. Than upload them to my Dropbox and you or someone else can enhance/edit/cut/whatever them.

One Question, what is meant with "Angles 10"? You give the pilot a bearing at 240 degrees... I just don't understand the term "Angles"

5 minutes ago, ToBr79 said:

I just don't understand the term "Angles"

'Angels': Kirchturm, Halo

3 minutes ago, JG4_dingsda said:

'Angels': Kirchturm, Halo

Ah Flightheight of the contact. Ok, usual term was "Kirchturm" in German if im correct.

Thx :)