Han

Developer Diary, Part 185 - Discussion

Hello everybody,

Today is the last working day of 2017. Officially. Part of our team that finalizes the game bits that are required for 3.001 release will continue to work on holidays. This is a personal decision of each team member and I can only respect them.
Total of 5 new aircraft will be released in 3.001. We still need to texture P-39L-1 cockpit and finish Bf 109 G-6 flight model. A-20B, Yak-7B ser.36, and La-5FN ser.2 are almost done, there are some skins and details left to do.
Cooperative multiplayer mode and new statistics system are being tested. The new Career is finished from functionality point of view, it is being tested, debugged and filled with missions and locations content. We plan to have as many as 40 generated mission types; 20-25 of them will be ready for 3.001 and the rest will be added during the course of the year. Generated missions will have randomized locations, mission route and target parameters, weather conditions and other details, so each sortie will play differently.
Other stuff planned for 3.001 is ready. Today we plan to start 3.001 alpha testing, hopefully our testers will help us finalize all the work we were busy with for 4 last months quickly and effectively.
We, IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles team, would like to wish you a Happy New Year and all the best in the coming 2018. To make this Dev Diary more visually appealing, here are several A-20B cockpit in-game screenshots and the video showing all five aircraft coming in 3.001.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
  • Upvote 16

Awesome...though "randomized missions" in a career mode brings me slight concerns.

Edited by sinned

Yeah ok....

the LA5FN looks REALLY fun....

I guess I will have to get it then....

It's all looking great. Thanks guys.

Sorry I did not read the whole history about the carreer mode. But I do like to know, this new ingame carreer mode, sounds all a lot of effort, why not make an SDKit so modders can simply make there own in game carreer mode. Sounds to me this cost lesser labour effort.

Edited by Dutch2
  • Upvote 1

Sorry I did not read the whole history about the carreer mode. But I do like to know, this new ingame carreer mode, sounds all a lot of effort, why not make an SDKit so modders can simply make there own in game carreer mode. Sounds to me this cost lesser labour effort.

Maybe in the future, a SDK right now will eat a lot of time, man power and resources

The A-20 looks like an amazing plane, probably it will become one of my new favorites.

I hope the team members that are taking a break have a great time and recharge their batteries over the break.

It is impressive work and would not have expected members of the team to work on holidays when we where told otherwise.

They have my respect, but I do not think less of those who chose to get some R&R. I hope you give those who chose to work thought the holiday time of when needed so they do not burn out. I wish you all a happy new year :biggrin:

Like the rest of us, I am waiting in suspense.

See you in the new year :salute:

• Upvote 1

Looks damn yummy!

Happy New Year to the team. Enjoy your holiday as much as you can while still putting hours into making a great sim even more fantastic. :salute:

Guys I admire you, as Computer Engineer I am jealous about how awesome you are, the amount of dedication, passion and quality you bring to us is really admirable...You guys are my top favourite game devs, and I game a lot... a lot, but none come close to you. I am 28 right now, and I hope some day I will be soo good as you, I will work hard to reach your level of profesionalism and dedication.

I wish to you the best for the next year and I hope you can keep the great and quality work you are doing for us...  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

• Upvote 1

Holy $#!t are these planes for real??? Great work! I can't wait to jump into that p39 and the Boston gunner mechanics look nice. Though I hope we will have an option to command our gunners to stations reasy so they don't have to keep unpacking and packing g up thier guns..

I hope you guys have a wonderful new year and thank you for all your efforts to make one of the best Sims ever.

Now I just need a new rig to keep up with all the goodies!

So finish up quick so we can all sit down and fly together!

@DEV

what  Computer you guys are using ?  because there were some massive shutters and low fps  during the video...

Love the scene when the P-39 throttles up with brakes still on. Of course the rest looks great too.

Awesome...though "randomized missions" in a career mode brings me slight concerns.

Indeed I would like some more insight on this... Too many things described as "randomized", I would just like to know that the randomness has parameters that keep the "random" factor in line with the situation on the front.

"Part of our team that finalizes the game bits that are required for 3.001 release will continue to work on holidays. This is a personal decision of each team member and I can only respect them."

00S1wEo.gif

• Upvote 11

Now I am happy we are flying red on next TAW  :P

So.... Those tailguns on A20 are .50 or .30 ??? Had a quick look on cell phone and could not  be sure.  

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

Now I am happy we are flying red on next TAW  :P

So.... Those tailguns on A20 are .50 or .30 ??? Had a quick look on cell phone and could not  be sure.  

Should be a .50 on top and .30 on bottom iirc.

Notable that they were both fed from small boxes, not a lot of sustained fire gonna come from those.

Looking excellent though, great to hear the collector planes are coming together with the rest of Kuban.

Edited by Windmills

Did I see a thermos on the back deck of the A-20, with coffee?  Nice.  I also think the telescopic sight on the dorsal gun is going to make shooting easy.

Someone was able to measure the roll rate of the FN

This is the IL2 forums, OF COURSE some one did!

Not only that, but also started a thread complaining how it doesn't match some old pilot's account and how other tests show different results.

• Upvote 5

Indeed I would like some more insight on this... Too many things described as "randomized", I would just like to know that the randomness has parameters that keep the "random" factor in line with the situation on the front.

This has been discussed a lot in previous DDs.  The missions do not follow a set series as in a scripted campaign, but are generated according to a set of parameters based on the time, front, your squadron, and what is going on, but randomly.  As in the RoF career mode. So that you do not know exactly what you are going to get and each time you play a career you will get a somewhat different experience.  

Let us just let them release this mode - then you will see.

Love the gun position detail in the A-20!

• Upvote 1

This has been discussed a lot in previous DDs. The missions do not follow a set series as in a scripted campaign, but are generated according to a set of parameters based on the time, front, your squadron, and what is going on, but randomly. As in the RoF career mode. So that you do not know exactly what you are going to get and each time you play a career you will get a somewhat different experience.

Let us just let them release this mode - then you will see.

Love the gun position detail in the A-20!

Thank you, indeed I was expecting a RoF-like mission generator but how it was described now in the DD looked a little too much randomized and indeed I was a little puzzled to what looked like a change of direction. Glad that it was my fault in reading something that it isn't :)

BTW: I have RoF and even just a remake of the career mode (without the improvements that the team added for BoX) would have made me happy, that is why I am eagerly waiting for this new version ;)

Edited by Alexmarine28
  • Upvote 1

I don't think that you are going to be able to prise me way from the A-20 anytime soon; great work.

Thanks Han - a Happy New Year to all.