Coconut's dynamic campaign hardcore and casual

coconut

=GEMINI=Framais
1 hour ago, coconut said:

It's as you say, updated in the next mission. Also if people take off with more bombs than you replenish, the number may still go down in the next mission, just not as far down as it would if you had not flown that mission.

Thinking about this point... if it's at all technically possible, it would be good to see the bombs amount for the receiving airport increase (in the map screen) as soon as the cargo is unloaded on the airfield. This way transport pilots would receive feedback that they actually contributed to the overall mission (another motivator for transport pilots).

Edited by =GEMINI=Framais

In the manual it show that when a factory / warehouse is spotted it will appear on the map,.

i noticed that there are some building that were referenced as factory/warehouse on previous map and are still present on the ground but the icon dont appear on the map when spotted.

Those group of buidling can be destroyed, and you still get point in game as well it increase your stat.

Is that a bug ? if they are destroyed will it affect the campaign even if they are not marked as an icon ?

Only the 10 biggest depots and the 10 biggest factories on each side are now spottable, to keep the number of icons and associated checkzones to a reasonable level

All can be attacked though

=GEMINI=Framais
On 4/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, EAF_T_Therion said:

As you noticed you cannot unload on inactive fields - to unload your cargo you need to open the main door (bomb bay door button)  and unload (drop bomb button).

You will get a message when unloading is finished - you have to wait for this message to come, it takes some time. So be patient...:salute:

To open the main door of the Ju52 you need to use the 'open canopy' button, not the 'bomb bay'. Then hit the 'drop bomb' button to unload the cargo.

I've been getting a bug a lot recently where my aircraft will spawn with no ammo. After an an initial flight if I land, make no changes and take off from the same airfield my plane will have no ammo

SvAF/F16_radek
12 hours ago, FFS_Fauster said:

I've been getting a bug a lot recently where my aircraft will spawn with no ammo. After an an initial flight if I land, make no changes and take off from the same airfield my plane will have no ammo

I have the same bug. Though presumed it was game rather than server related. Hoping the upcoming patch will fix this.

On a similar subject: tank draw distance is very low. Heard someone else mention this so guessing it's not just me. Once tank tents are destroyed you need to get very close to the tanks for them to appear. So close so that I use the tent poles from the destroyed tent as a marker for aligning my bombrun properly. Those still draw and are visible from much further than the tank itself. Is this a game bug or an intentional mission thing for more challenging level bombing? Apologies if this has been discussed previously.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, a_radek said:

I have the same bug. Though presumed it was game rather than server related. Hoping the upcoming patch will fix this.

On a similar subject: tank draw distance is very low. Heard someone else mention this so guessing it's not just me. Once tank tents are destroyed you need to get very close to the tanks for them to appear. So close so that I use the tent poles from the destroyed tent as a marker for aligning my bombrun properly. Those still draw and are visible from much further than the tank itself. Is this a game bug or an intentional mission thing for more challenging level bombing? Apologies if this has been discussed previously.

I have seen both of these issues, was in an i16, no ammo bug. Found out while going in on an attack run on an 87.

And yes, experience the same thing with tents

• Thanks 1

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier
3 minutes ago, -DFA-Retrofly said:

I have seen both of these issues, was in an i16, no ammo bug. Found out while going in on an attack run on an 87.

And yes, experience the same thing with tents

The thing with the tents and tanks render distance did put me off aswell. Thought it was my graphics settings.

37 minutes ago, a_radek said:

tank draw distance is very low

I know, it's a game bug in my opinion. I asked a question about that when the static tanks came out, Han replied it was supposed to be that way.

An alternative would be to use trucks instead of tanks, they can be seen from further away, but it's a bit silly.

• Upvote 2

SvAF/F16_radek
7 minutes ago, coconut said:

I know, it's a game bug in my opinion. I asked a question about that when the static tanks came out, Han replied it was supposed to be that way.

An alternative would be to use trucks instead of tanks, they can be seen from further away, but it's a bit silly.

Strange really. I can understand the point of them compensating for the lack of real world terrain fidelity and tanks being too visible from afar against nothing but low res textures. But not to this point.

hi coconut , did you program the AA at airfield to attack incoming tanks? I was at krimskaya in a russian tank and never saw an AA , only empty AA position. At some other airfield the AA spawn only if a russian plane come in range then start to target russian tank on the airfield. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, =R4T=bushmantw said:

hi coconut , did you program the AA at airfield to attack incoming tanks? I was at krimskaya in a russian tank and never saw an AA , only empty AA position. At some other airfield the AA spawn only if a russian plane come in range then start to target russian tank on the airfield. 

Good catch, I'll have to fix that.

Coconut, you said your software is available for all. I'd like to see how dynamic campaigns work. Where can I find it?

Our squad often finds there are not enough aircraft (say 8+). How would Squad assigned a/c work? Would we be sent to a particular base or would we have a 'wildcard' allowing us to get more a/c?

EDIT: Sorry I meant there aren't enough aircraft (not players).

Edited by 56RAF_klem

Coco what is AAA set too .I did a mission in storm clouds rainfall ,  the vis very low and AAA still found me on the deck through trees . Sniper kill . 

WithStrangeAeons

Alrighty guys, one more poll!

We got a good response to my original poll asking where players on this server are located( https://www.strawpoll.me/15338738/r ), and now it's time for the next step: to figure out the best time for us to get together!

With that in mind, here is a link that will let everyone state their preferred playtimes, and after enough replies we can choose the best days/hours for getting together and winging up:

http://whenisgood.net/coconutwingnight

I'm guessing that we'll need two timeslots, one for NA and one for EU, but we shall see. Be sure to state your timezone when you reply, and the website will handle all the background calculations automatically as it aggregates the times. Please note that no registration of any kind is required for this poll.

Edited by WithStrangeAeons
dumb fingers

11 hours ago, 56RAF_klem said:

Coconut, you said your software is available for all. I'd like to see how dynamic campaigns work. Where can I find it?

See

and https://bitbucket.org/johdex/sturmovikcampaign

11 hours ago, 56RAF_klem said:

Our squad often finds there are not enough aircraft (say 8+). How would Squad assigned a/c work? Would we be sent to a particular base or would we have a 'wildcard' allowing us to get more a/c?

There is no such thing in the campaign at the moment.

4 hours ago, II./JG77_Con said:

Coco what is AAA set to

Normal. Used to be low, but that offered too little protection to assets and players on the ground.

That normal AAA found me in stormy weather at Speeds of 500 or more , low on the deck behind trees ... Visibility down to God's knows . Talk about super human x-ray vision . I think normal is the same as ace . Lol . 

11 hours ago, II./JG77_Con said:

That normal AAA found me in stormy weather at Speeds of 500 or more , low on the deck behind trees ... Visibility down to God's knows . Talk about super human x-ray vision . I think normal is the same as ace . Lol . 

I have think I’ll degrade the AA skill level one level in stormy weather and see how that goes. 

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to say how great this dynamic campaign server is.

Yesterday I experienced for the first time a dusk flight. I had never seen the searchlights before, it was amazing, especially in VR!

1 hour ago, dagraytest said:

hi, one question, will the server be set up in the near future were you will receive a score for transporting cargo?

Note that in general there is no such thing as near future in hobby work.

When it comes to the stats web page, no I will never do that, because I don't develop the software behind the stats.

When/if I implement a personal reward system in the campaign, I will include successful cargo missions in the system.

• Upvote 2

Thanks coco for your server and time this is the best server for our squad to train on.

We enjoy it . 

Edited by II./JG77_Con

[CPT]CptJackSparrow

And on the flip side id be thrilled if all AI were removed once server count reaches 12 or more.

[CPT]Crunch

The supply system is cool, but maybe someday we can see a manpower element added.  Kind of buggers belief when new tanks show up in such numbers with fully capable crews trained and ready to go, same with pilots and seamen.   Something like a fixed number of combatants and fixed number of reserves to draw upon once the combatants are eliminated.  There isn't any value attached to the fighting forces, unlimited ships and men going down, and yet no one bothers defending them, it ain't necessary.  You can punch all the equipment you want out of the factory every three hours, but how are you recruiting and training for it.  If you have unlimited manpower, what's our role again?

• Upvote 1

But then what happens when one side runs out of pilots? It's just going to be a race to get the most kills.

Manpower attrition certainly was a problem in the war, but my campaigns really are battles that are a couple weeks long at most.

What I could do is enforce a kind of dead-is-dead. Each player gets a number of pilots, and once they are all dead or captured, you have to wait until the next campaign before you can fly again. I fear that might annoy the majority, and will cause severe frustration when shot in a parachute or bombed/strafed on one's airfield. Not to mention disconnects.

Was your suggestion intended to address the issue of the seemingly unstoppable Russian tank tsunami on the current campaign on Kuban?

[CPT]Crunch

It doesn't seem to be just tanks.  It's everything, trains, convoys, bridges, flak, and ships.  Never seem to see them slow down any, every three hours a brand new onslaught, rinse, recycle and repeat.  Reckon its not so easy on your end, game structural limitations and all.  The massive and sudden line changes suck, but probably stuck with that.  Hoping some day we can have the lines move slower and more complex with actual frontal units on the ground, with the tank battles release and smarter ground units.

Maybe some future fine tuning on supply rates.

Would be nice to have replacements a bit more structured and based upon actual AI/men, material, and equipment lost, instead of 500+ planes setting on one base and no tanks in the neighborhood.  Everything having a strategic and tactical value factor, each side gets only so much credits based on territory and production they own and can protect.  Combat forces have a starting reserve to draw upon, its not on the map and can't be hit, but it can be depleted since all combat replacements are drawn from it.  It's the reserve that sends resupply based on losses and a strategic priority system.  Once factories are damaged and combat losses mount reserves get drained far enough to where its side must prioritize.  It gets short on aircraft, less tanks produced, short on tanks, less trucks produced, short on trucks, less trains repaired, short on trains, no ships refloated and so on.  On the other hand, reserve gets maxed out, combat units grow in size on the map.

You could set the reserves rather large, but only fill them 50% to start, productive capacity can start to fill them immediately.    

What I don't understand is....when an airfield is bombed intensely and as soon as the map is renewed, the airfield doesn't seem to have suffered any damage...indeed, the kg is actually increased.

As a btw, I went on to the Normal server this morning and I couldn't load ANY bombs on to a PE2, even though (according to the map) there were plenty of munitions available.

It also looks as though the map is lost anyway....hektorblack 1 = Allies 0

No_85_Gramps
3 hours ago, No.85_Camm said:

It also looks as though the map is lost anyway....hektorblack 1 = Allies 0

Lol! Thanks for the morning laugh Camm! 

10 hours ago, No.85_Camm said:

What I don't understand is....when an airfield is bombed intensely and as soon as the map is renewed, the airfield doesn't seem to have suffered any damage...indeed, the kg is actually increased.

Possible bug in result extraction. Can you point at the mission where you observed this?

Sorry Coconut, I cant to the actual mission. However, I can say that it was over the last week and the Airfield was Mohzaisk. There is also a bug where one can see friendly icons (on the map) when one is over 70kms away from the Airfield (Toshino).

Just got auto banned for exceeding wrecking limit. Was at too low of an altitude when I dropped the 1800 I guess. Instant killed the pilot with no additional apparent damage to the plane.(?) It assessed Two separate penalties, one for about 2.1 or so and the other for 3.something. Is this extra penalty for the extra stupid factor or a bug? Also, seems a bit stiff of a penalty to have to sit out for an hour after blowing yourself up with a bomb:( .

• SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic