Highwayman

API for export of flight data

API for export of flight data  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this API is important?

• Yes I believe this is an important feature
    • Yes I would like it, but not at the expense of delaying other features
    • No I do not think that it is needed
    • I still don't understand what this does

I'd like to put a poll up for the guys at IL-2 to see their customers desire for this feature that was previously listed as coming, but now seems to be absent.

This was one of the most anticipated features in the works for me when BoK was announced as it would enable software like the SimShaker for Aviators software and other software used with motion platforms to interpret aircraft movement and forces within the simulator and translate that directly into tactile feedback.

Other simulators like Digital Combat Simulator, Prepar3d and Falcon 4 offer this and the use of tactile feedback devices with them in conjunction with VR in those simulators that support it is amazing.

Flying a Spitfire in DCS with VR and tactile feedback really is amazing. You can feel the bumps of the undercarriage running across the field, stalls and buffeting is directly translated to feelings from the tactile sensors and lets you react to them before you notice your wing dropping, and taking fire from enemy aircraft can be felt directly as distinct thumps as the rounds impact your air frame. With all the cutting edge features and the next gen implementation of VR offered by IL-2, this really is a complimentary feature that would help it stand even further out from its competition.

• Upvote 4

Perfect addition to VR. Il2 great battle is late compared to other sims on that matter. But isn't it supposed to come with Kuban?

Unfortunately, still no sign of that it will be really implemented. Please read this my post https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28664-devs-any-plans-make-game-compatible-gametrix-jetseat/?do=findComment&comment=534029

I would love to see this happen.  Buttkickers, Jet seats, and Shakers are becoming much more popular since they are easy to implement and add a new element of immersion.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Highwayman, the combination of all these things especially in VR is terrific and is a must for me. I would love to see Il2 adopt an API for flight export data to allow the use of the various gadgets.

• Upvote 1

Dear IL-2 Developers,

Please support this feature if you can.  It would be greatly appreciated and would add value to the IL-2 flight simulation experience.

Thank you in anticipation.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Upvote 1

Buttkickers dont need any API, they work with sound.

So when using Teamspeak I can just shout "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" and shake the crap out of your Buttkicker..  You'll like that.

So when using Teamspeak I can just shout "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" and shake the crap out of your Buttkicker..  You'll like that.

You can use CrossTalk or other plugins to remove the bass so TS doesn't trigger your ButtKicker

API would allow a 3rd party application to take your own aircraft telemetry data and create EVENT-driven effects, while Buttkicker, connected to the game sound stream, creates SOUND-driven effects. 

On my opinion there is a big difference between those two approaches. Telemetry data based event-driven effects may be precise enough to let you "flying by the seat of pants", sound-driven effects are not.

Edited by Andre
  • Upvote 1

If you're talking about sound-driven effects here, you probably didn't understand the topic.

Telemetry will give you stall, flaps, G, gear up and down, airbrake, overspeed, and many others effects.

I use it on DCS and I can truly feel the plane. Nothing to do with only sound effects.

Edited by -IRRE-Rolluptito
  • Upvote 1

This is a great feature for not only FFB devices like the JetSeat, but is essential for any motion platform setup. VR + Motion Platform will really bring out the immersion factor by +1000%. :salute:

• Upvote 1

I do hope it will be implentated into Flying circus and BoBpl. While no decent new joystick does have FFB, this device will become more and more important to feel the flying force while gaming.

Come on Jason, think it is not that difficult to help this guy.

Export APIs can be very interesting for some people. 

For DCS, I was able to build a MiG-21 cockpit panel complete with working lights and switches that talked to the game via a microcontroller. 

However, I do understand why such things are not a priority in Il-2. DCS is quite different in its goals. 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32759-final-release-battle-kuban-delayed-little-bit/?p=544299

- External Gauges API for app makers (I've discussed this many times and no one has reached out to me with a proper API or app to build to) (This is a request of my lead programmer before he spends time on it and he has limited time so we cannot waste his time.)
  • Upvote 1

I'm not complaining here because I think current development is rockin' but I would LOVE jetseat.  (Not that I know what API is...code or something that makes people make jetseat work.)

Ceowulf<><

• Upvote 1

I do hope it will be implentated into Flying circus and BoBpl. While no decent new joystick does have FFB, this device will become more and more important to feel the flying force while gaming.

+ 1

• Upvote 2

Just ordered Gametrix JetSeat KW-908 AM for DCS and X-Plane 11. I think  flight data export is a key component of a modern flying simulator. 

+ 1

My sentiment exactly! I think the Gametrix JetSeat KW-908 AM will feel more realistic than my MS FFB 2 because your whole seat will shake verses just the joystick.

• Upvote 4

I think this feature it´s a MUST HAVE in a modern flight sim too...

• Upvote 2

BUMP! Mine is one the way - in transit!!! 

• Upvote 1

On 06/03/2018 at 4:18 PM, lefuneste said:

I hope that one day Jason will change his mind...

+1

• Upvote 1

As soon as I saw the new Forcefeel on preorder I bet a coin on it.

Even if I don't already own a VR headset ( which I plan to do as soon as I have rebuilt a complete new config to replace my old I7 950 ), I am sure that Gametrix / Forcefeel are the next steps for pilot immersion , this should completly replace the FFB that is missing since I upgraded from MS FFB2 to VKB Gladiator Pro , and give pilots the essential info / feeling.

I cross my fingers and hope that Jason still read this post and help to push this sim to a new higher level. This could be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

I would like having such API which can be used to build real cockpit or some element.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

API would be great for us that own this product.

For now - just using the Gametrix 908 Jet Seat in sound mode only. With no API, there is no way for the vibrator motors to distinguish b/w engine/gun/wind/rounds hitting your aircraft/gear retracting and lowering/flaps lowering and retracting/air over control surfaces etc...

To be honest the seat vibration does distinguish between rpm changes and guns only - but only a tad. 

I think the IL-2 team has always strived to makes this air combat simulator as real as possible for us, adding API will go along way to continue doing just that.

h4su4yv.png

Edited by JG7_X_Man
  • Like 1

Guys, if anybody attends FlightSimExpo 2018 in June, please tell that to Mr. Williams and the IL-2 team members face-to-face.

I'd love to, but have failed to obtain visa from the US government this time. 

Hard time for international conferencing :(

• Like 1

I really hope that the developers will listen to the players and make an excellent opportunity for the API.

• Like 1

Personally I can think of many much better uses of Dev time than implementing what is currently at best a niche feature within a niche market. This is a very small team and their time is precious. Two questions would need to be answered I think...

a) What would you give up in order to make this a reality?
b) Would the community as a whole agree with that forfeit?

IL-2 itself is a niche game within a niche market.

Following by such a logic, should it be developed at all? Why not everybody to play GTA V?

• Upvote 1

Oh, now I see what it does

Well, I have that in my carseat 😜

Personally if I had to answer the question : "Would you pay for an extra tool development to allow telemetry usage for external devices " I would answer yes.

Of course it depends of the costs , but is it technically so difficult and so expensive to do ?

I still cross my finger hoping that Jason and the devs push this sim to a next level of immersion by adding such possibility.

• Like 2

I suggest, the problem may be rather in psychological rigors of loosing a tight control over the game process, than in technical matter.

Giving other people a tool to use game data, you never know exactly the way it will be used.

The team as well should be ready to interact with more creative thinkers, than currently skins and missions makers.

Yeah Andre you're probably right. The truth is maybe in between ... 

But on the other hand such games like Project Cars 2 , DCS  ... have been opened to the telemetry and I don't think that it caused them a prejudice. On the contrary it helped them to emerge from other sims.

I'm really feel frustrated thinking that Forcefeel / Gametrix are top notch ( and not so well known ) devices for simmers. 

In a few month I will got mine but it is really a shame to not be able to use it at 100% in BOS BOM BOK. 

Well at least I will be able to use it on other games...

Working on SimShaker I took part as a tester in DCS telemetry fixing/improving, that was definitely a resource-consuming workload for the dev team.

Every team decides which way to spent resources. Every team is unique.