Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

I don't care a whit about FC1 but will buy it anyway..........and FC2...........and FC3..........to support the guys who love those shoestring box kites as much to support the DEVs.

• Upvote 4

I own everything in ROF just short of the Muromets and I’m happy to pay for all of it again to see it ported to IL-2: Great Battles.

I wuv this guy.

I don't care a whit about FC1 but will buy it anyway..........and FC2...........and FC3..........to support the guys who love those shoestring box kites as much to support the DEVs.

That's the spirit.

Soon as I'm done with my X-mas shopping I'll be pre-ordering everything.

I happen to love the WW1 stuff as well - and tanks...though I'm not sure I'll have much time for them. :-(

Hi Jason,

Yes, we completely agree with you. Most of us have bought aircraft and addons from 777 not because we desperately wanted them, but because we wanted to support your company, which in the long run, means more of the stuff we do want, BUT....

Let me explain is the most polite terms why the FC1 decision upsets some of us. For the multiplayer community, ROF was great, but for those who were after a single player experience (for me, mainly do to poor internet options) we were promised a single player mode. Myself I spent over $300 on ROF always being told our concerns were being addressed and single player would be delivered. And it never was. Never. We did get the Beta Career, but it was never finished and even you have to admit it was terrible; and true, PWCG was better but it was third party and resulted in a lot of jumping around to play a simple mission. The result was I spent most of my time in a game i'd payed $300 flying endless quick missions. 

I'm NOT asking for FC1 to be free or even discounted to ROF owners but please understand that some of us do feel a little betrayed by ROF that we payed for a game that never was finished and now are being asked to do it again.

Thankyou for reading this.

Spoon

Mulitplayer may be where the money is made, but singleplayer is the gateway drug to the multiplayer addiction. Most of us started there.

I have to agree with Bloodsplatter, this view sees 99% of true fans of Rise of Flight.

Jason,

When you said Flying Circus in VR, what VR devices are you referring to? any device supporting OpenVR?

As you know Windows MR devices are in the market from few weeks ago and people are planning their budgets for this Christmas.

So far this poll collects most of people with a VR device in IL-2:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27278-about-vr-and-vr-devices-used/

Many of them has to update their vote after this black friday prices!! In fact many of those who said "wait two years and see" ...... :o:

Edited by chiliwili69

I'm so happy with the news!! Pre-ordered everything! 

Many thanks to Jason and the team!

:biggrin: 

I have to agree with Bloodsplatter, this view sees 99% of true fans of Rise of Flight.

Bullhockey!

I don't believe that any "true fans of Rise of Flight" agree with Bloodspatter on these points.  Apparently at least 2 people do feel that way, so I won't try to say nobody agrees, but I don't believe anybody who feels that way could fairly characterize themselves as a "true fan" of RoF.

I think that the number of people who were upset by the Flying Circus announcement is tiny in comparison to the number who were delighted by it.  Up until active development of RoF stopped when the team turned towards WWII and BoX, our concerns were being listened to, and the career mode they delivered may not have been as finished/polished as we would have liked but it was certainly far from "terrible".  Anybody who spent all their time playing QMB missions certainly missed out on the chance to have some wonderful experiences with career mode, PWCG and MP play - but even then, I'd wager that they got their money's worth just doing QMBs with all the different content RoF supplied.

Like many true fans of RoF I also spent more than $300 buying everything the dev team offered for RoF, and I was disappointed that the economics of the devs' situation dictated that RoF never got the chance to evolve into something even more truly amazing than it was.  And I also spent about the same amount of money buying everything the team made available for BoX, with the hope (though not the promise) that it might help the team survive long enough to someday return their attention to WWI and RoF.  But that money bought me several years and countless hours of fun, education and enjoyment, and has been well worth every penny I spent on it.  And here we are roughly 9 years into the life cycle of RoF, and it seems like that hope is about to be realized.

I understand and share a sense of disappointment that RoF itself never reached the level of truly epic greatness that it could have reached if the devs could only have (i) agreed with my definition of epic greatness, and (ii) devoted enough time and resources to achieve it (it's the same way I've felt about some other storied franchises that reached for greatness and fell just that little bit short of realizing their full potential, like Silent Hunter III/IV, but that didn't stop me from playing the heck out of them for several years, either - nor would it stop me from being willing to pay for them "again" if they would create a new version at this point that held any promise of getting closer to the goal).

What I don't understand or agree with (or believe that any true fan of RoF would agree with) is the notion expressed by Bloodspatter that there's any reason to view the Flying Circus announcement, or the fact that the devs are going to need to charge people for Flying Circus whether they bought RoF or not, as any sort of "betrayal".

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 12

I‘d more than happily spend full price again to get the WWI planes tucked in the current game engine. I don‘t care for rebates as much as for the devs having a profitable outlook to get all the planes ported. I think good work deserves to be paid well.

• Upvote 1

All games whatever they are will only have a certain life span, peoples attention and technology moves forward to the point any development team needs to then ask itself the question "can we sustain this particular game/genre any further with diminished resources", with R.O.F I personally think it soldiered on long after it might have died because Jason and his team created a fresh direction for it and it became what we currently use today. :salute:

I have no complaints with them starting again and incorporating what they can into the newer game engine and paying again for hopefully a much improved experience with far greater potential for further development along side a now much more varied company product, sadly gone are the days where any development team can continue to give further free upgrades indefinitely.

Those here that have supported the new BoS, BoM, and BoK series so far accepted the series could go under at any time, most of the realists amongst us still do, so enjoy what we have so far, at least if BoK gets to be the final release product then we all got what we paid for and enjoyed partaking in the development process along the way because of early access. 

Flying Circus should make it possible to add all the refinements that users wanted, DX.11, VR and others that might have taken far more in resources than any development team could really be expected to risk bearing in mind that even with those improvements it might not bring a larger player base to sustain it, bringing everything into the same fresh development might at least give a future to this particular genre, without fresh income we will get nothing but what we have already.

Anyway, I ordered all the new pre-orders whether I actually see them come to fruition is too far in the future to know but I am happy to on the basis of what we have so far.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Upvote 1

Folk are not asking for a discount on BoS, BoM, BoK because "well i bought all the original il2s up to and including '46 can i get a discount because it's being ported to a new engine?"

C'mon folk you dont ask Chevy for a half priced 2017 Malibu because you bought a 2012 one do you?

• Upvote 2

I would like a discount on my new graphics card I just bought, I supported the dev's though their previous models and now my bottom is feeling rather sore..

Tottally joking but I do feel like I have just been ***raped, at least that's how I imagine it feels like

Cheers Dakpilot

I would like a discount on my new graphics card I just bought, I supported the dev's though their previous models and now my bottom is feeling rather sore..

Tottally joking but I do feel like I have just been ***raped, at least that's how I imagine it feels like

Cheers Dakpilot

Jokes aside,

my GTX 780 which works very good in all games/simulators I own just doesn't work well in BoX .

:(

Edit:

And I really think there should be a warning in BoX shop not to buy the game if you own 700 series NVidia video card...

Edited by ST_ami7b5

The dream of skinning late war planes together with missions within the last days of the Luftwaffe :)

Really worth a dime ;)

Preordered of course  :salute:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Edited by RaFiGer

When the HD craze hit tv in the USA I jumped on board with a Samsung tv using DLP technology.  After several years of enjoying a great picture I decided that a new flat panel smart tv would be a great step up.  Since I enjoyed the picture quality of my Samsung, I stuck with the brand and shipped the old tv off to my son.  Guess what Samsung gave me for my move to newer tech and better features?  Nada, zip, zero, nothing at all.  I didn't even get 10% off.  What a rip off right?  I mean they made newer TV's with better functions and those of us who bought the old tv's got totally ripped off by Samsung!!!  If this sounds like nonsense, that's because it is.  Just like Samsung didn't owe me anything for having bought a TV 10 years ago, 777 doesn't owe us anything for having enjoyed their old game for lo these many years.  I will happily buy the newer version on the strength of the quality of the older version!

• Upvote 6

As a day 1 ROF player and having purchased (nearly) every asset, I am delighted with this news. A VR enabled WWI flight sim is niche within a niche within a niche product, which I doubted would ever happen. I will happily pre-purchase FC and all addons. Thanks Jason and team.

As a day 1 ROF player and having purchased (nearly) every asset, I am delighted with this news. A VR enabled WWI flight sim is niche within a niche within a niche product, which I doubted would ever happen. I will happily pre-purchase FC and all addons. Thanks Jason and team.

Don't forget the ability to shoot 1910s planes with your fw-190  :lol:

And I really think there should be a warning in BoX shop not to buy the game if you own 700 series NVidia video card...

ami I understand there is a problem with 780's but I've got a 770 and it's just fine.  My system also has an ancient i7 930 o.c'ed to 3.8Ghz.  I'm constantly pleased and delighted that they keep optimising this game.

One of Jade Monkey's single missions.  Everything set on Ultra, plenty of HE-111's, plenty of clouds, plenty 'kersplosions;

Arthur the problem is not the quality, I have Ultra settings also with stable 60 FPS.
Game just freezes... sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 2 minutes...
Very frustrating.  

Arthur the problem is not the quality, I have Ultra settings also with stable 60 FPS.

Game just freezes... sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 2 minutes...

Very frustrating.  

Oh dear. It's Xmas soon. Why don't you put a 1080 on your list for once? ;)

Seriously, those feezes can have other reasons as well. I'm starting to get these freezes too, having a 1080 in place. In my case, I suspect that 4 years running sims with the CPU OC'd, the mainboard (an ASUS Hero VI that was a monday make from the beginning) is about deep fried by now. VRM's are probably less than healthy. So, time for a new system. I'm glad still having the old 780 Titan. I can use that one to produce OC profiles for the 7900X. Once I have stable parameters, then swap the 1080 GPU to the new rig and I'll make a clean new install. No point in buying a 1080 Ti. I'd rather wait for the nect generation of GPU's.

If you have a 780, then you are running your CPU at high clock for a long time. When was the last time you changed your thermal paste? Did you measure core temps when running tests like Prime95? You will have to run this test at least over night and check CPU clocks and temperatures. Electronic parts do age.

Edited by ZachariasX

The new ROF is going to be so much fun again. Old squadrons hunting each other every night for years to come. 

Happy days

• Upvote 1

This time put mirrors in planes (there are now in IL2) but you need to do it...

I love WWI planes

I own everything in ROF just short of the Muromets and I’m happy to pay for all of it again to see it ported to IL-2: Great Battles.

Same! Would gladly pay for it all again to see it ported over and have full multiplayer servers again!

You may have a new best friend HerrMurf!  :cool:

Bullhockey!

I don't believe that any "true fans of Rise of Flight" agree with Bloodspatter on these points.  Apparently at least 2 people do feel that way, so I won't try to say nobody agrees, but I don't believe anybody who feels that way could fairly characterize themselves as a "true fan" of RoF.

I think that the number of people who were upset by the Flying Circus announcement is tiny in comparison to the number who were delighted by it.  Up until active development of RoF stopped when the team turned towards WWII and BoX, our concerns were being listened to, and the career mode they delivered may not have been as finished/polished as we would have liked but it was certainly far from "terrible".  Anybody who spent all their time playing QMB missions certainly missed out on the chance to have some wonderful experiences with career mode, PWCG and MP play - but even then, I'd wager that they got their money's worth just doing QMBs with all the different content RoF supplied.

Like many true fans of RoF I also spent more than $300 buying everything the dev team offered for RoF, and I was disappointed that the economics of the devs' situation dictated that RoF never got the chance to evolve into something even more truly amazing than it was.  And I also spent about the same amount of money buying everything the team made available for BoX, with the hope (though not the promise) that it might help the team survive long enough to someday return their attention to WWI and RoF.  But that money bought me several years and countless hours of fun, education and enjoyment, and has been well worth every penny I spent on it.  And here we are roughly 9 years into the life cycle of RoF, and it seems like that hope is about to be realized.

I understand and share a sense of disappointment that RoF itself never reached the level of truly epic greatness that it could have reached if the devs could only have (i) agreed with my definition of epic greatness, and (ii) devoted enough time and resources to achieve it (it's the same way I've felt about some other storied franchises that reached for greatness and fell just that little bit short of realizing their full potential, like Silent Hunter III/IV, but that didn't stop me from playing the heck out of them for several years, either - nor would it stop me from being willing to pay for them "again" if they would create a new version at this point that held any promise of getting closer to the goal).

What I don't understand or agree with (or believe that any true fan of RoF would agree with) is the notion expressed by Bloodspatter that there's any reason to view the Flying Circus announcement, or the fact that the devs are going to need to charge people for Flying Circus whether they bought RoF or not, as any sort of "betrayal".

Totally agree with Pathercules on this one. The vast majority of ROF veterans are thrilled by this news. We are not expecting the first installment of Flying Circus to be the "end-all-be-all" WW1 flight simulator. Rather, I'd say most of us expect it to be an epic jump-off point from which further development will spawn. And that is why we are so excited - the potential of it all is staggering! 

The new ROF is going to be so much fun again. Old squadrons hunting each other every night for years to come. 

Happy days

Oh yeah! Looking forward to many more years of duels over the front!!! Maybe at long last I'll finally be able to get ya back for that time in Flanders in Flames where you single-handedly shot down our whole flight of Se5as lol. :lol:

Edited by II./JG1_HotleadColdfeet

Jason,

When you said Flying Circus in VR, what VR devices are you referring to? any device supporting OpenVR?

As you know Windows MR devices are in the market from few weeks ago and people are planning their budgets for this Christmas.

So far this poll collects most of people with a VR device in IL-2:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27278-about-vr-and-vr-devices-used/

Many of them has to update their vote after this black friday prices!! In fact many of those who said "wait two years and see" ...... :o:

As far as I know none of the Windows MR devices are working properly.  It has been confirmed that the Lenovo and the Samsung HMD have some sort of IPD bug messing with the view.  The the HP headset is "better" but he still reported some FOV issues.  

Hopefully they will look into this, as these headsets are probably going to be quite numerous soon.

As far as I know none of the Windows MR devices are working properly.  It has been confirmed that the Lenovo and the Samsung HMD have some sort of IPD bug messing with the view.  The the HP headset is "better" but he still reported some FOV issues.  

Hopefully they will look into this, as these headsets are probably going to be quite numerous soon.

Cant do anything about it right now and until we can get one of each in the Moscow office there is nothing we can do.

Jason

Cant do anything about it right now and until we can get one of each in the Moscow office there is nothing we can do.

Jason

I will overnight my Samsung to Moscow (at my expense) if you send it back to me sometime next year.  PM me if you want it.

Edited by WISredcoat22
  • Upvote 4

I will overnight my Samsung to Moscow (at my expense) if you send it back to me sometime next year. PM me if you want it.

Wow. Bravo sir. Well done.

Looks great,really stoked for Flying Circus. The only thing I could ask for is to drop the Dolphin from the list and replace it with the Pup or even one of the Newports.

Looks great,really stoked for Flying Circus. The only thing I could ask for is to drop the Dolphin from the list and replace it with the Pup or even one of the Newports.

Bit of a long shot but I'm really hoping for a N.28 with an updated FM.

I can't support with data but, while I loved the 28, it never felt right to me, losing so much E if you tried to do anything other than go straight and fast. IIRC it was included in the original ROF release and was one of the few that never got a FM review.

Just as BOS, BOM, and BOK mesh seamlessly together, will BOB mesh with them..? For example, so we can use some eastern front planes in BoB...such as the BF110s, JU87s & 88s, He111s, BF109E7, etc etc.?

Also, will you be re-modelling the ROF FM in Flying Circus? I rarely play ROF because I find the flying parameters, and shooting far too over-sensitive and difficult, highly unreal,The ROF FM is a mess, compared to the BoS series where there is a real feel of realism.

Finally, will the "Great Battles" series mesh into the BoS,BoM, BoK, BoB series?

Edited by onlyforbrian

User error? What is user error?? I'm a licensed pilot and long time flight simmer... so I can tell the difference between a realistic FM and nonsense... I'm sorry..but ROF FM is pure nonsense...so if you're not changing it I won't waste my money on FC, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you. But I do enjoy the well done IL series. By the way...I use a Thrustmaster T1600

Then please point it out because obviously I missed it, and your glib response doesn't answer anything... so thanks...I guess

And how many hours do you have in world war one aircraft?

Anyway, about the tank sim, can we maybe get a teaser in the form of a tank campaign in Il-2? Just to see what the tanks are currently able to do?

With respect the overall flight model is more than fine...you're experiencing user error, and no the flight models will not change.

That's not what Jason aparently explained. A forum member at ROF said "after listening to Jason’s Q&A, that the first small step is to import the planes as they are which means existing FMs as in ROF now. It is possible that down the road they may address FM issues in regards to speed etc". Now if these tweaks will be before the launch only they know. Which also does not stop us from asking after the release. There are some blunders that requires fixing.

User error? What is user error?? I'm a licensed pilot and long time flight simmer... so I can tell the difference between a realistic FM and nonsense... I'm sorry..but ROF FM is pure nonsense...so if you're not changing it I won't waste my money on FC, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you. But I do enjoy the well done IL series. By the way...I use a Thrustmaster T1600

Then please point it out because obviously I missed it, and your glib response doesn't answer anything... so thanks...I guess

From the announcement Jason wrote:

In addition to the demo, our entire collection of products will be made part of the IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles series. Any product displaying this logo will be compatible with one another and part of the overarching collection.

Flying Circus has the logo.

It's in keeping with what the team has been doing which is making sure everything works together all in one package.

That's not what Jason aparently explained. A forum member at ROF said "after listening to Jason’s Q&A, that the first small step is to import the planes as they are which means existing FMs as in ROF now. It is possible that down the road they may address FM issues in regards to speed etc". Now if these tweaks will be before the launch only they know. Which also does not stop us from asking after the release. There are some blunders that requires fixing.

I'm not talking about "possibly down the road"

I'm talking about current reality and what I know from Jason.

"Possibly down the road" anything can happen.

How many hours do you have in a Spad? I'm betting I have more REAL flying time than you though

See above.

Glad you're happy with BoS in any case.

I'm not talking about "possibly down the road"

I'm talking about current reality and what I know from Jason.

"Possibly down the road" anything can happen.

Do you know when "down the road" means? He said "the first small step is to import the planes as they are". You can interpret that down the road means further steps down the road -- in other words it can happen before the release. And he's acknowledging FM doubts. So it is incorrect of you to say "and no the flight models will not change". Even if it comes after the release, don't the 109 and the 190 got a revision? Doesn't the game get revisions all the time?

So I'm explaining to other members that no, contrary to what you say the FM can change and some of them are likely to change (and they need to change as well). And this is good. The recent BOX revisions brought a lot of hype towards the Il-2 series. Improvements are always welcomed and people react positively (meaning more support to the developers).

Edited by SeaW0lf

Do you know when "down the road" means? He said "the first small step is to import the planes as they are". You can interpret that down the road means further steps down the road -- in other words it can happen before the release. And he's acknowledging FM doubts. So it is incorrect of you to say "and no the flight models will not change". Even if it comes after the release, don't the 109 and the 190 got a revision? Doesn't the game get revisions all the time?

So I'm explaining to other members that no, contrary to what you say the FM can change and some of them are likely to change (and they need to change as well). And this is good. The recent BOX revisions brought a lot of hype towards the Il-2 series. Improvements are always welcomed and people react positively.

I know what you're saying, and I'm certainly not opposed to some things being looked at.

I'd be surprised if revisions were made in the short term, again based on what we were told, but who knows.

We've been surprised before. ;)

Complaints though were in the "the Camel is too fast" category rather then the FM being "wrong" as it were from what I remember.

Thanks for taking the time to respond... my biggest issue with ROF, was for example when targeting another plane while following it , the nose of my plane would yaw back and forth from side to side so extremely that it was impossible to get even a single hit on the target. At first I thought, maybe it's in the joystick settings, not enough dead zone...but no matter how I set it up, the same problem remained... then I said to myself , it can't be the joystick because it works beautifully in all my other flight sims, finally out of frustration, I deleted ROF from my computer. Interesting though...I had the same issues with War Thunder and deleted that too. But IL Series...works like a dream. No issues with X-plane 11 either.  I will say I have been to WW1 replica airshows and they seemed very slow and docile... that's why the FM in ROF.. had me thinking something's not right... but I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer, minus the insults.[/size]

Seems to me that I dialed out some undesirable tendencies with the in-game/controllers curves setting.

I mostly flew the D8, Se-5a and D7 though...all of which are already fairly stable compared to some others.

I was useless in the Camel, and the Dr1 had me wondering how it didn't kill every pilot who tried to learn it.

Complaints though were in the "the Camel is too fast" category rather then the FM being "wrong" as it were from what I remember.

This is not the appropriate thread to discuss it, but yes, the need for reviews exists.

Thanks for taking the time to respond... my biggest issue with ROF, was for example when targeting another plane while following it , the nose of my plane would yaw back and forth from side to side so extremely that it was impossible to get even a single hit on the target. At first I thought, maybe it's in the joystick settings, not enough dead zone...but no matter how I set it up, the same problem remained... then I said to myself , it can't be the joystick because it works beautifully in all my other flight sims, finally out of frustration, I deleted ROF from my computer. Interesting though...I had the same issues with War Thunder and deleted that too. But IL Series...works like a dream. No issues with X-plane 11 either.  I will say I have been to WW1 replica airshows and they seemed very slow and docile... that's why the FM in ROF.. had me thinking something's not right... but I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer, minus the insults.

You have to work with the joystick curves, which in ROF is pretty advanced and allows you to do almost everything. It has nothing to do with flight models.