Bullets

Hawker Hurricane: Collector Plane??

Hawker Hurricane: Collector Plane  

459 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the Hawker Hurricane to be added as a Collector Plane

• Yes
    • No

Was at York Air Museum this week and was stood in awe at the beauty of the Hurry.. Made me once again lust for it to be simulated in the BOX series¬†ūüėď

Of course we'll get a Hurricane! Jason said he wants to add more planes so he practically promised us a Hurricane!

10 hours ago, Danziger said:

so he practically promised us a Hurricane!

No, he didn't, so quit saying things like that.

24 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Mate, you need to chill.

59 minutes ago, Haza said:

Mate, you need to chill.

It's ok. I don't think Luke was built with humor and sarcasm detectors.

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

He said he wanted to add more planes. What more do you need? Right there he basically promised we will get a B17 and a Hurricane and an IAR80 and and I153 and whatever plane you want! PROMISED! 

• Haha 2

Just now, Danziger said:

It's ok. I don't think Luke was built with humor and sarcasm detectors.

He said he wanted to add more planes. What more do you need? Right there he basically promised we will get a B17 and a Hurricane and an IAR80 and and I153 and whatever plane you want! PROMISED! 

Is that pic from "The Bill"?

EDIT:  Humour with "or", so guessing not UK "The Bill"

Edited by Haza

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

Is that pic from "The Bill"?

EDIT:  Humour with "or", so guessing not UK "The Bill"

Inspector Derek Grim, Gasforth CID.

Come on 1CG    p l e a s e     make this a reality. :P

d7f4b7fe6b5ce223916f9ad8f455fde6.png

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bullets said:

Come on 1CG    p l e a s e     make this a reality. :P

d7f4b7fe6b5ce223916f9ad8f455fde6.png

Rare historical photo of Hurricane pilot trying to capture Me-262 in flight by spray painting red stars over Luftwaffe markings:biggrin:

Edited by Arthur-A

Seeing you guys are talking about the Hurricane I thought you might be interested in the author's opinion from a book I am currently reading called Swastika in the gun sight.

The author Igor Kaberov and his squadron were given Hurricanes in May 1942 :

"One characteristic of the construction was that in calm level flight the aircraft would first dip, then raise its nose. That's how it flew, bowing as it did. The radio worked magnificently, like a domestic telephone, neither noise nor crackle. But the speed, the speed.... No this aircraft was far from being a Hurricane. it was slow to gain height and not good in a dive, as for vertical maneuverability  - not good at all!"

He much prefered the Yak he was flying previously in every way. He had the armor behind the pilots seat changed as it only had two vertically placed 4mm plastic sheets one above the other. He also had the armaments changed to two 20 mm cannons and two heavy calibre machine guns.

That bowing sounds like longitudinal instability... potentially something wrong with that aircraft? All reports I have read, especially British ones from British tests state it was a very stable gun platform and very manoeuvrable being able to easily out turn 109's down low.  

Posted (edited)

Yes I had heard the same Bullets. Sound like a center of gravity issue with that aircraft. I was surprised how highly they thought of the Yak though not knowing much about the aircraft.

Edited by TimJ147

I just started flying BoK in VR with the Samsung Odyssey Plus, and found myself giggling like a schoolboy. So more collector planes is always a good thing. I'd love to see the Hurricane, (and maybe a DO-17). We already¬†have a P51, Tempest, P-38, and B-25 on the way, and with the 4k skins, and the new Fmod sounds, this sim is going to be insane. Well done, developers!! With these planes, and if they add a western Europe campaign after BOK, the Hurricane would fit right in.¬†ūüĎćūüėä

• Upvote 1

A Hurricane is a must for this game. Amazed to hear Russian pilots dissing this plane. Wonder if it was because of their late start with it and lack of time or inability to train properly to get to know the nuances of the aircraft. BoB British, Canadians, Poles loved it and some preferred as a warhorse due to its maneuverability and stability as a gun platform, hence its later role as ground attack fighter. I miss flying one as I often used it in Il2 1946. So in short, would definitely welcome the chance to own one again, PLEASE!!!

11 minutes ago, HylaHyla said:

A Hurricane is a must for this game. Amazed to hear Russian pilots dissing this plane. Wonder if it was because of their late start with it and lack of time or inability to train properly to get to know the nuances of the aircraft. BoB British, Canadians, Poles loved it

I agree, the Hurricane really should be in the planeset.    As to the attitude of Russian pilots who got to fly these planes;  whilst the Hurricane was undoubtedley a very capable inteceptor in the summer of 1940,  it was already outclassed by the '109E3/4.  By the summer of '41 and into '42 it had became hopelessly outclassed by the E7, let alone the F2/4.

Also, I think it's important to remember that all those Hurricanes which did so well in the BoB.......those were the same planes we sent to Russia the following year.

By which time they were pretty clapped out.    What did the Russians like most about the Hurricane?

It had a two way radio that worked.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/11/2019 at 1:51 PM, DD_Arthur said:

As to the attitude of Russian pilots who got to fly these planes;  whilst the Hurricane was undoubtedley a very capable inteceptor in the summer of 1940,  it was already outclassed by the '109E3/4.  By the summer of '41 and into '42 it had became hopelessly outclassed by the E7, let alone the F2/4.

Also, I think it's important to remember that all those Hurricanes which did so well in the BoB.......those were the same planes we sent to Russia the following year.

By which time they were pretty clapped out.    What did the Russians like most about the Hurricane?

It was a very similar situation to the Spitfire Vs sent to the Soviets: a good plane in its prime, but by 1943 they were worn out and outclassed by both the opposition and by of course the Mk. IX. Plus, as I read in a newspaper article from 1943, the Spitfire Vs sent to the Soviets were veterans of North Africa, so they had seen especially hard use.

One of the ways how to get rid of used up stuff you don't need anymore. Like used up cars from west that noone would buy there, in Ukraine bazaar.

Same system was applied to russian deliveries as to British units.

Sojet spitfire supplies.png

This game clearly suffers from a lack of collector planes. I guess they easily could sell 20 odd additional planes, if they would find a reasonable way to produce them.

Really, as much as you may like the Hawker Hurricane, it really was an, okay, fighter. I've never heard any RAF pilot who flew both the Hurri and the Spit say that he preferred the Hurricane. Yes, I know, "Oh yeah, well in the Battle of Britain they shot down more German planes than the Spitfire!" True. But do you truley think that the reason is because it was the better fighter? It's because there were 18 Spitfire squadrons and 29 Hurricane squadrons. 

Pilots did like the airplane's ability to take damage. That was because of it's fabric construction. Cannon or bullet rounds would often pass right through the fabric sections of the airplane without doing any serious damage. The "fitters" would patch the holes and she was ready to go. A big plus.

Not sure about the "beauty" of the Hurricane. Comparing the Spit and Hurricane is like comparing a racing thoroughbred to a plow horse, really. But the Hurri did the jobs she was called on to do. Much like the American P-40. 

I know the airplane has a fan base, but there are so many other airplanes I'd rather see them put their time into. It's popular, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if you see one, eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Really, as much as you may like the Hawker Hurricane, it really was an, okay, fighter. I've never heard any RAF pilot who flew both the Hurri and the Spit say that he preferred the Hurricane. Yes, I know, "Oh yeah, well in the Battle of Britain they shot down more German planes than the Spitfire!" True. But do you truley think that the reason is because it was the better fighter? It's because there were 18 Spitfire squadrons and 29 Hurricane squadrons. 

Pilots did like the airplane's ability to take damage. That was because of it's fabric construction. Cannon or bullet rounds would often pass right through the fabric sections of the airplane without doing any serious damage. The "fitters" would patch the holes and she was ready to go. A big plus.

Not sure about the "beauty" of the Hurricane. Comparing the Spit and Hurricane is like comparing a racing thoroughbred to a plow horse, really. But the Hurri did the jobs she was called on to do. Much like the American P-40. 

I know the airplane has a fan base, but there are so many other airplanes I'd rather see them put their time into. It's popular, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if you see one, eventually. 

Since I fly IL2 in VR... I think the Hurricane has a great looking cockpit and canopy, I'd like to see it for that reason alone lol. By the way, I think it was part of the Russia lend/lease program so it would fit right in.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, DD_Arthur said:

I agree, the Hurricane really should be in the planeset.    As to the attitude of Russian pilots who got to fly these planes;  whilst the Hurricane was undoubtedley a very capable inteceptor in the summer of 1940,  it was already outclassed by the '109E3/4.  By the summer of '41 and into '42 it had became hopelessly outclassed by the E7, let alone the F2/4.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the the big weakness in the Hurricane was that it had a carburated engine (at least the early models) and the engine would temporarily cut out when nosing over into a dive.

33 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the the big weakness in the Hurricane was that it had a carburated engine (at least the early models) and the engine would temporarily cut out when nosing over into a dive.

The Hurricane had the same engine as the Spitfire and they both did that.

• Like 1