Bullets

Hawker Hurricane: Collector Plane??

Hawker Hurricane: Collector Plane  

498 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the Hawker Hurricane to be added as a Collector Plane

• Yes
    • No

I would love to see this workhorse chugging about in this amazing sim how about you?  :salute:

Also nearly 3000 Hurricanes were send to the Soviet Union from Britain (&Canada) so It shouldn't fatally wound the historical guys in our community  :happy:

Shes beautiful in a kind of ugly way  :P  ;)

Hawker_Hurricane_-_VE_Day_Airshow_Duxfor

• Upvote 7

I'll buy it.

I'll buy it today.

I'll buy it right this very second.

Sell it to me and take my money.

• Upvote 8

A lot of us would like to see *all* the Brit lend Lease aircraft in game but I doubt their current budget stretches to it at the moment.

I hope it's on a dev wish list though :)

If its good enough for Johnny Red it's good enough for me!

Would I like a Hurricane in BoX? Yes, of course. Would it be my number one choice? Probably not, though it would depend on the alternatives offered. Do I think the developers would be wise to chose this one, given their limited resources? I have my doubts.

Sort of a flying brown paper bag.  Not my first choice of aircraft either.  But yes, I'd buy it.

• Upvote 2

Probably, but mostly it fought in Murmansk area, and I think around Finland 

If this turns out to be a resounding yes with massive support how realistic would it be that it could be made once Kuban is finished and before work on the next chapter begins?  :huh:  :happy:

I am sure everyone would pre-order the same as with the Ju52 & Yak1b as its such a well loved and popular airframe  :biggrin:

I can just imagine the scenarios with E7's flying against hordes of I16's and Hurricanes  :o:  :cool:

Also talking about Variant I assume the Mk II (A) would be the standard and then Have the (B) with bomb racks as a field mod?  :)

Edited by Bullets

Maybe a RoF style selection of every possible aircraft would get the devs the cash they say they need.

Who cares if it's not all following the proper historical geography and timeline. Make a Hurricane, make a P-51, make a P-38 and watch the do-ray-me come sailing in.

Is this a game business or a history essay?

Sell me planes!

• Upvote 2

Maybe a RoF style selection of every possible aircraft would get the devs the cash they say they need.

Who cares if it's not all following the proper historical geography and timeline. Make a Hurricane, make a P-51, make a P-38 and watch the do-ray-me come sailing in.

Is this a game business or a history essay?

Sell me planes!

Ohh god please no... I'm all for more planes, but give them a proper scenario. We all ready have DCS for a mindless plane fest.

Grt M

• Upvote 4

Another useless landlease plane...like spit or p40..sorry but no

Another useless landlease plane...like spit or p40..sorry but no

Useless may be your opinion but I think it would fit early war scenarios quite well especially against 110e2 & 109e7's :biggrin: .

Also the P40 is not useless if you use it right which obviously you are not, it is very good as a ground attack aircraft or interceptor against enemy bombers  :salute:

Can't support your logic here I am afraid  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Ohh god please no... I'm all for more planes, but give them a proper scenario. We all ready have DCS for a mindless plane fest.

Grt M

I don't see why it would be a mindless plane fest. It would be plane fun. :cool:

If it's a case of the MP crowd not wanting unlimited scenarios, they can set their rules and run their servers as they see fit. But to limit sales potential and the bottom line based on an abstract sense of video game purity seems... questionable. The devs want money - let them sell planes to people who say they want them.

I'm here for the fun. If I want hardcore reality, well, I get that when I go to work tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I voted absolutely yes in the poll. I would love to see the Hurricane, however, and I hate to be THAT guy but I'll quote myself from another thread:

"If they have time to build them, I would be stunned if we don't get a G6 and La-5FN as collectors. Development time is crazy tight and the team is small. If they don't have time to build these it is unlikely we will get anything else for Kuban before gearing up for Midway."

(Still sorry Gambit)

Grt M

And to belabour the point...

No one, not one single person, will ever force you to buy or fly a plane you do not want to buy or fly.

That being true, and it is, who cares what the other guy is flying? If he's having fun its fine with me. :cool:

• Upvote 2

I voted YES but I'm also aware, from Jason's talks with the community, how these things work.  A collectors plane?  It'll have to go on the waiting list with all the other requests.  Having said that, lets not forget that over twenty VVS regiments were equipped with the Hurricane in '41-'42.  Historically, it is a very important plane in any BoM scenario. 

• Upvote 3

I voted YES but I'm also aware, from Jason's talks with the community, how these things work.  A collectors plane?  It'll have to go on the waiting list with all the other requests.  Having said that, lets not forget that over twenty VVS regiments were equipped with the Hurricane in '41-'42.  Historically, it is a very important plane in any BoM scenario. 

I am aware if the devs are interested in making the hurry it possibly will end up on the bottom of a list somewhere.

I just wanted to show the devs the forums lust for her haha  :biggrin:  :salute:

• Upvote 1

And to belabour the point...

No one, not one single person, will ever force you to buy or fly a plane you do not want to buy or fly.

That being true, and it is, who cares what the other guy is flying? If he's having fun its fine with me. :cool:

I have to agree with you here.

I understand the need and want for authenticity, but surely that's down to how one plays at home or the server host?

Some of us simply don't mind if something is slightly (or entirely) out of  place.

If I dont like it, then I wont buy it.

When Kuban Comes out, Ill be playing with my Spit against Me's and pretending i'm over the channel, it doesnt hurt anyone.

The Hurri does have a place in the East even if its not quite geographically correct.

For me, BoX is all about *flying* (and combat) not location. Im happy to suspend belief.

If there's a demand *and* it's profitable for the devs then it's a win win situation.

I do understand why folk would dislike any OOP element, but think about how sales will help the elements you like :)

• Upvote 3

I have to agree with you here.

I understand the need and want for authenticity, but surely that's down to how one plays at home or the server host?

Some of us simply don't mind if something is slightly (or entirely) out of  place.

If I dont like it, then I wont buy it.

When Kuban Comes out, Ill be playing with my Spit against Me's and pretending i'm over the channel, it doesnt hurt anyone.

The Hurri does have a place in the East even if its not quite geographically correct.

For me, BoX is all about *flying* (and combat) not location. Im happy to suspend belief.

If there's a demand *and* it's profitable for the devs then it's a win win situation.

I do understand why folk would dislike any OOP element, but think about how sales will help the elements you like :)

Amen.

And to your point: "Some of us simply don't mind if something is slightly (or entirely) out of  place." That is the crux of this entire show. I can't tell what others are doing, but I'm at my desk in Canada in 2017 flying a Russian aircraft from WWII and shooting down German bombers. I'm willing to guess others are in somewhat the same situation.That is "slightly (or entirely) out of  place" taken to the extreme.

People who insist on historical purity in a video game are like smokers who go the country for fresh air.

• Upvote 2

Of course yes... The Hurri was going out of date performance wise when it was introduced to the lend lease system, but it was at a time when Russia badly needed aircraft to help stem the German onslaught.

I'm all for it... Was it used by Soviet forces?... Yes!

Will we eventually use it in a meaningful way to enhance the game play in it's correct setting?... in the future probably yes.

Do we care that a minority has a narrow and closed mindset that would deny the enjoyment of this aircraft for others?... not a bit.

If it came out as a 'collector plane' and could generate more income for the development team, would I buy it?... in an instant.

As it happens, just like with RoF, if the devs went down the route of making historically accurate WWII aircraft to gather more income, I suspect that a great many would gladly support them in that endeavour...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

I for one would love to see this in the game and it does fit the time period of the maps we currently have and if the Murmansk map is completed and added it has even more significance. ;)

From a book in my collection the Polish publication ‘Hurricane w obcej stuuzbie’ (Hurricane in Foreign Service 2) by Mirostaw Wawrzynski.

‘A Division of Hurricanes in the Battle of Stalingrad.

In early June 1942 a whole fighter division equipped entirely with Hurricanes, 235 IAD became part of 6 VA (8th Air Army).  The unit was commanded by Lt. Col I. D. Podgornly.  It comprised 46, 191 and 436 IAP.  On 25 June it was joined by 180 IAP equipped with 20 Hurricanes.  All those regiments, apart from 191 IAP, have been trained at Ivanovo.  In order to facilitate rapid conversion to the British equipment, 3 British pilots and 16 fitters were presentat Ivanovo.  When moving to the front line, the division was largely equipped with aircraft fitted with Soviet armament, or Mk IIC aircraft.  It entered combat north of Kharkov.  During the first five days of fighting the entire unit claimed 29 aircraft shot down.  The largest number of victories was claimed by 436 IAP (20 kills).  It was commanded by Major A. B. Panov.  Apart from air combats and air defence, the regiments were also tasked with ground attack duties.  During these missions Hurricanes caused substantial losses among the enemy, as well as sustaining severe losses themselves.  On 16 July 12 Hurricanes of 191 IAP destroyed a motorised column on the road Velikly Burlok-Noviy Oskol.  In heavy fighting, with constantly changing unprepared landing grounds, the Hurricanes started to wear out rapidly.  For example 436 IAP changed air fields no less than 12 times within 2 months.  On 22 July 1942 two surviving Hurricanes of 191 IAP were handed over to a neighbouring unit.  Two days later also 46 and 180 IAP were sent back for replenishment at Ivanovo.  All the surviving and serviceable aircraft were assembled in 436 IAP.  On 1 August 1942 8 VA had a total of 11 Hurricanes, of which only 3 combat-ready.  During the rapid retreat of the Russians, all remaining Hurricanes were destroyed by own ground personnel at Kalach-on-Don airfield.  Between 13 June and 30 July 1942 pilots of 235 IAD claimed 69 enemy aircraft destroyed.  During that period the regiment lost 54 Hurricanes in combat and in accidents.’

Unfortunately Jason has already stated the resources are not available but there is no denying these aircraft were there.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:  

I will buy all the collector planes, regardless of whether I'd fly that particular aircraft or not.

However the Hurricane would see some stick time.

Of course yes... The Hurri was going out of date performance wise when it was introduced to the lend lease system, but it was at a time when Russia badly needed aircraft to help stem the German onslaught.

I'm all for it... Was it used by Soviet forces?... Yes!

Will we eventually use it in a meaningful way to enhance the game play in it's correct setting?... in the future probably yes.

Do we care that a minority has a narrow and closed mindset that would deny the enjoyment of this aircraft for others?... not a bit.

If it came out as a 'collector plane' and could generate more income for the development team, would I buy it?... in an instant.

As it happens, just like with RoF, if the devs went down the route of making historically accurate WWII aircraft to gather more income, I suspect that a great many would gladly support them in that endeavour...

Got it spot on Trooper!  :salute:

:salute:  The Hurri has always been one of my favourite aircraft, (there are quite a few, lol)

As to other aircraft that would be snapped up as collectors planes... I-153, I-15, Su-2, Po-2, Ju-87B, Fw-189, P-40B Tomahawk... I could go on, lol!

Im going to move the thread in a slightly offtopic direction for a moment.

How would you feel if generic maps were created with points of interest but not fully real and planes from all sorts of theatres/timescales of ww2 released? would it be something of interest or are many after full realism within a narrow period/location?

How would you feel if generic maps were created with points of interest but not fully real and planes from all sorts of theatres/timescales of ww2 released? would it be something of interest or are many after full realism within a narrow period/location?

We have something close to that already; it's called DCS.  

When the early access for Midway starts kicking out aircraft we'll be able to fly the F4 Wildcat over Stalingrad.  When the map is released we'll be to fly Messers and Migs over Midway.

Absolutely!!!

I would buy it, I would fly it, I don't care what they charge for it, (with-in reason), I was really surprised it didn't make the original plane list.

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

The Horribus would certainly fit the Murmansk scenario when that is released post-Kuban.  It's a shame that although it was  a vital cog of the early war RAF it is a fugly hunchback slow rubbishy thing.

Armstrong and Miller had it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGp4DvFEgh8

von Tom

I would buy it, is most definitely iconic plane of WW2, with the Spitfire that coming and with a Hurricane we will have full story.

Nothing wrong with "fantasy maps". If it makes the sim more fun and more interesting, it will only mean that people will fly more.

Il2-46, in its present "BAT" iteration, has some fantastic! fantasy/action maps in the QMB. You air start, and five-seconds later the **** is on!  Air targets, ground targets, naval targets, murderous AAA, mountains, islands, lakes, cities on fire, all on one map. The map is alive.

BOS desperately needs some QMB action like that. And with a Hurricane of course. :cool:

I loved the desert maps that were produced for the old IL2... in my old squadron we had some great fights on those maps.

Edited by Trooper117

I'd love to have it. It'd be absolute crap and ugly to boot, but fun nonetheless.

• Upvote 1