chiliwili69

Measuring rig performance: Common Baseline (for IL-2 v3.010)

Sorry but no it is just not the same.

I will bow out now, but I would certainly encourage anyone in VR to do their own actual gameplay testing when making decisions.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

There is more at play than just raw cpu frequency. Granted it has a large effect. Memory, memory speed, GPU memory, GPU clock and memory speed,cache size,  etc.

Yes, of course. We keep those things constant whenever possible. I should rephrase my question.

Can you detect a difference in Il-2 between 8600K and 8700K with all other parameters constant? That would be a bold claim with significant implications for anyone trying to save money by purchasing the i5.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:38 PM, chiliwili69 said:

Congratulations for your new achievement!

Yes!, the i5-8600K (6 cores) is a very good choice for IL-2. It can be overclocked well and your performance is as good as the flaship CPU i7-8700K (6 cores + 6 logical cores), and you saved a nice money!

Thank you to you also for reporting your nice results. This is the nice thing of the benchmarks, your data can be seen by many other people who are thinking to upgrade their PCs.

If you have some time during this summer, you could try to run the test at different overclocking (3.6, 3.8, 4.0,... until 5.0), just to know how worth is every step in OC.

That's actually incorrect the 8700k is 6 cores and 12 threads. Meanjng it has 12 logical processors. Each of those 6 real cores has 2 logical processors giving you a total of 12.

Any recommended settings for a GTX 1080 w/ 6700k and 16GB DDR4-3200. I am trying balanced and noticing that my FPS drops below 90 quite often....this is with steam set at 52% resolution, balanced settings, 20km draw distance, no AA, ect...seems low, doesn't it?

9 minutes ago, Padinn said:

Any recommended settings for a GTX 1080 w/ 6700k and 16GB DDR4-3200. I am trying balanced and noticing that my FPS drops below 90 quite often....this is with steam set at 52% resolution, balanced settings, 20km draw distance, no AA, ect...seems low, doesn't it?

Don't  sweat it. No rig at this time is going to run this sim without dropping below 90 fps.

Main thing is it smooth for you , if so turn the fps counter off and have fun.

My rig is a 4820k at 4.50 GHz with 1080 Ti, I run at high graphics, 70km draw, 2xAA and ASW ( Rift) off. Mine is below 90 fps quite often, but still very smooth for me.

I pay no attention to the fps counter. Unlike monitor flying it is not so much about tweaking for the last bit of fps one can get, more about tweaking for smooth gameplay.

Are you overclocking that 6700k at all? Might have a little headroom for more performance there if not.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, Padinn said:

Any recommended settings for a GTX 1080 w/ 6700k and 16GB DDR4-3200.

On the GPU and memory speed you are well cover.

For the 6700K, to get the most of it, you can overclock it. It is quite safe and straightforward nowadays. And you will get a nice fps bump.

But as Don say, don´t be worried for the fps counter (best is to switch off if the experience is pleasant).

In the original post of this thread you will see the instructions to run a benchmark, just to check that you get similar performance to your peers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k

Also please, don´t run SS at 52% in SteamVR, it will be too ugly the images, with your card you can safely have 180% or 200%.

20 hours ago, Padinn said:

Yes. Thats very close my set up.  I think I have it figured out to max

My testing says there is no way to stay at 90 fps anymore like before patch.  My 6700 @4.69 and 1080 both overclocked to the stable max. See sig

I haven't been in game in a while, but if I recall I was at balanced too (but with Coconut cloud mod only..otherwise ick ) Steam VR 66%

800x600

landscap normal

70km - tried at 40km for a while. meh

filte r0ff

quality normal

quality high

dynamic resolution .8 **

aa x2 (had to do it...but you can off it you must,  large engagements could be crushed ) 

HDR check

Sharpen check

Use 4K check

Edited by katdog5

Thanks guy. My CPU is oc to 4.5 and my 1080 is heavily oc as well. I'll play with settings. If I run at 200% that's like 4k per eye isnt it? The 52% is default resolution for the vive

3 hours ago, Padinn said:

If I run at 200% that's like 4k per eye isnt it? The 52% is default resolution for the vive

I didn´t know you were using Vive, I thought you were using Rift.

When I said 200% it means 2.0 according to this table:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36160-supersampling-ratios-rift-vs-vivepro-vs-odyssey/

So 200% in the Rift is about the same number of total pixels (both eyes) than a 4K monitor.

But if you use the Vive then you can have 170%, or 1.7, so it means 70% more than default.

When you said 52%, are you meaning 152%. It would help me if you could post a screenshot of your SteamVR supersampling slider bar.

No I am at 52%, which is roughly the Vives default resolution per eye. If I set it to 100% it's basically at 1.4x - by default steamvr has supercomputing of 1.4x for the vive. I'll post some pics later

I went ahead and tweaked my settings and its much better now. I am basically using the recommended settings in the stickied thread, with 170% SS, and it looks and plays great. 

1 hour ago, Padinn said:

I went ahead and tweaked my settings and its much better now. I am basically using the recommended settings in the stickied thread, with 170% SS, and it looks and plays great. 

13 hours ago, Padinn said:

Thanks guy. My CPU is oc to 4.5 and my 1080 is heavily oc as well. I'll play with settings. If I run at 200% that's like 4k per eye isnt it? The 52% is default resolution for the vive

You're welcome fella. Those aren't recommended settings 

Edited by katdog5

12 hours ago, Padinn said:

I am basically using the recommended settings in the stickied thread, with 170% SS, and it looks and plays great. 

Glad to see this VR section helped you to have a better experience. With your GPU, there is no reason to go below 170%.

Here you have sample pictures with different SS%:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30771-how-much-ss-is-desirable-image-quality-samples/

Yea I notice the fps drops considerably against bombers, but is playable. I think it's due to all the tracer effects. I prefer the look a great deal.

Edited by Padinn

Hey I finally bit the bullet and got a Rift for simming (iracing, DCS and ofc il2) I should have it in a few days hopefully. However upon reading the forums I'm a bit worried that my fps might not be up to the task in this game. My rig is:

i5 4690k (Stock 3.5ghz)

16gb RAM

Nvidia geforce 1070

1tb Samsung SSD

Its the CPU I'm most worried about as some people seem to report issue with it in IL2 VR, I have no issues in standard IL2 I'm just wondering what should I expect in advance? Thanks.

Edited by Mukai

1 hour ago, Mukai said:

Hey I finally bit the bullet and got a Rift for simming (iracing, DCS and ofc il2) I should have it in a few days hopefully. However upon reading the forums I'm a bit worried that my fps might not be up to the task in this game. My rig is:

i5 4690k (Stock 3.5ghz)

16gb RAM

Nvidia geforce 1070

1tb Samsung SSD

Its the CPU I'm most worried about as some people seem to report issue with it in IL2 VR, I have no issues in standard IL2 I'm just wondering what should I expect in advance? Thanks.

Congrats!

Ever tried overclocking that 4690K? Pretty easy to do, basically just changing the multiplier - of course a decent cooler would be needed.

You will be ok, however would certainly gain some good performance if you got that cpu over 4 GHz.

You can count on fps being approximately half of what your monitor fps runs.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Congrats!

Ever tried overclocking that 4690K? Pretty easy to do, basically just changing the multiplier - of course a decent cooler would be needed.

You will be ok, however would certainly gain some good performance if you got that cpu over 4 GHz.

You can count on fps being approximately half of what your monitor fps runs.

No never, I've considered it (and even bought my gear wayback when to accommodate OCing) but have always worried about screwing it up haha. Oh and to add to the above specs i have a Gigabyte z97x-ud3h cf Mobo.

I'm not running a stock cooler atm, but its not top of the line by any regards, its a cooler master hyper 212 evo. It came bundled with the chip when I first got it. (idles at 30c at 70% load gets to about 37 maybe 40c)

Just now, Mukai said:

No never, I've considered it (and even bought my gear wayback when to accommodate OCing) but have always worried about screwing it up haha. Oh and to add to the above specs i have a Gigabyte z97x-ud3h cf Mobo.

I'm not running a stock cooler atm, but its not top of the line by any regards, its a cooler master hyper 212 evo. It came bundled with the chip when I first got it. (idles at 30c at 70% load gets to about 37 maybe 40c)

You should be fine for overclocking.

Again all you really do is up the multiplier on each core, likely won't need any voltage increase either unless you get crazy with it.

So your main bclock - or bus speed, would be 100 MHz.  So it is likely using 35x multi on each core, which gives you the 3.50 GHz.

Just up that multi a little at a time and test. A multi of 40x then would give you 4 GHz.

I personally use Prime95 small FFT's to test stability while monitoring my cpu core temps. LinX is another good testing program.

I would start out shooting for around 4GHz and see how it does. Likely can easily go higher. I run my 4820k at 4.50 GHz day in and day out, have been for 4.5 years.

But anyway main thing is to get the Rift and get it set up and running to see how you like it. Might do that first and see how performance is, then if you would like more you certainly have some headroom to get more.

4 hours ago, Mukai said:

i5 4690k (Stock 3.5ghz)

16gb RAM

Nvidia geforce 1070

1tb Samsung SSD

Welcome to the growing VR club! :drinks:

With the 1070 you are quite OK.

What RAM speed do you have? (the Original Post explain how to read it)

The weakest point is the i5-4690K CPU.

Other people with that CPU, even with overclocking at 4.5GHz were not achieving the same performance than others CPUs at 4.5GHz.

You can check that in the spreadsheet of the tests:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k

As it happen to me, I didn´t do Overclocking until I really needed it. In case of IL-2 VR, it´s a must.

In this post I explain how I did it:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/

You can try to learn as much as possible how to do a safe overclocking with your CPU (you could reach 4.3 or even more). Then try first with Low settings and 150%SS in SteamVR.

Then you can try with Balanced settings and see how good is your performance.

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Welcome to the growing VR club! :drinks:

With the 1070 you are quite OK.

What RAM speed do you have? (the Original Post explain how to read it)

The weakest point is the i5-4690K CPU.

Other people with that CPU, even with overclocking at 4.5GHz were not achieving the same performance than others CPUs at 4.5GHz.

You can check that in the spreadsheet of the tests:

As it happen to me, I didn´t do Overclocking until I really needed it. In case of IL-2 VR, it´s a must.

In this post I explain how I did it:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/

You can try to learn as much as possible how to do a safe overclocking with your CPU (you could reach 4.3 or even more). Then try first with Low settings and 150%SS in SteamVR.

Then you can try with Balanced settings and see how good is your performance.

Hey thanks guys :)

I've 2x crucial ballistix sport 8gb ram in dual channel at 1600mhz

I really hope I can get some good performance for VR as this game is one of the reasons for getting VR (among others ofc) 

8 hours ago, Mukai said:

I've 2x crucial ballistix sport 8gb ram in dual channel at 1600mhz

1600MHz is a bit low freq.

We have done some some tests with IL-2 VR and RAM speed has a significant impact:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3/?do=findComment&comment=495403

Once you receive the Rift  you could try first the Oculus deck experiences or games were you have constant 90 fps, just to be confortable with VR.

Then you can move to IL-2 VR with Low settings and some simple taxing or flying alone at high altitude. Then check your fps and how you feel about.

If you are OK, then you can complicate the scene a bit more.

IF you are not satisfied with the experience (stutters, low fps, sickness) then you will need to upgrade your CPU and RAM. (either keeping Mobo or changing Mobo)

I've mentioned this here before but worth doing so again.

Apart from cpu and  memory clock, I've found cache frequency makes a significant enough difference to try upping for those that know how and left it at default (if you have a modern enough rig to set it individually from cpu frequency). There just seems to be a lot of swapping going on with these large world games.

4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

1600MHz is a bit low freq.

We have done some some tests with IL-2 VR and RAM speed has a significant impact:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3/?do=findComment&comment=495403

Once you receive the Rift  you could try first the Oculus deck experiences or games were you have constant 90 fps, just to be confortable with VR.

Then you can move to IL-2 VR with Low settings and some simple taxing or flying alone at high altitude. Then check your fps and how you feel about.

If you are OK, then you can complicate the scene a bit more.

IF you are not satisfied with the experience (stutters, low fps, sickness) then you will need to upgrade your CPU and RAM. (either keeping Mobo or changing Mobo)

Damn :/ 

Well I won't be able to upgrade my PC for a very long time unfortunately, maybe in a year or 2 time but not soon :(

Hopefully I can get some OC out of the CPU and some decent FPS ingame. If not, it sucks but thats life :)

1 hour ago, Mukai said:

Damn 😕

Well I won't be able to upgrade my PC for a very long time unfortunately, maybe in a year or 2 time but not soon :(

Hopefully I can get some OC out of the CPU and some decent FPS ingame. If not, it sucks but thats life :)

Trust me, getting some overclock out of that CPU will yield you the biggest gain.

I am still running 16GB of 1333 MHz ram and it is doing just fine.

And I run at High settings.

Edit: My bad, not enough coffee this morning yet, I have 2133 MHz ram.

You will however still see the largest gain from a CPU overclock.

I would wait and see how it does for you first before really delving into it. Then if you do you can see the difference it makes for you. Keep in mind unlike a monitor VR is really not about trying to gain 5 fps here or 10 fps there, as what counts is going to be 45 or 90 mainly, and getting a smooth experience. Utopia is a constant 90 fps no matter what, and there is no system today that can provide that in combat flight games.

Best thing a VR player can do if they are getting a smooth experience, is turn that FPS counter off.

Edited by dburne

42 minutes ago, dburne said:

Trust me, getting some overclock out of that CPU will yield you the biggest gain.

I am still running 16GB of 1333 MHz ram and it is doing just fine.

And I run at High settings.

Edit: My bad, not enough coffee this morning yet, I have 2133 MHz ram.

You will however still see the largest gain from a CPU overclock.

I would wait and see how it does for you first before really delving into it. Then if you do you can see the difference it makes for you. Keep in mind unlike a monitor VR is really not about trying to gain 5 fps here or 10 fps there, as what counts is going to be 45 or 90 mainly, and getting a smooth experience. Utopia is a constant 90 fps no matter what, and there is no system today that can provide that in combat flight games.

Best thing a VR player can do if they are getting a smooth experience, is turn that FPS counter off.

Ok, thanks for the words of encouragement :) I'll be waiting a week or so for the VR so I might start trying to OC my system in the meantime so i can hit the ground running. As it is only running at 3.5ghz atm. With a bit of luck I won't have a lemon for a CPU and I can get comfortable frame rates :)

As for the RAM, well I'm kinda goosed there, I mean maybe down the line I could upgrade but I'm severely limited on money atm after the VR purchase so I doubt there will be much movement in that regard.

Has anyone any good beginner OC guide? I was going to follow this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE ) and this guide https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1411077-haswell-overclocking-guide-statistics.html ? I'll shoot for 4.5ghz and keep voltages below 1.3v, tbh I'd say I'll reach my thermal limit before anything as I only have a cooler master hyper 212 evo.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help, it really is greatly appreciated!! :):)

10 minutes ago, Mukai said:

Ok, thanks for the words of encouragement :) I'll be waiting a week or so for the VR so I might start trying to OC my system in the meantime so i can hit the ground running. As it is only running at 3.5ghz atm. With a bit of luck I won't have a lemon for a CPU and I can get comfortable frame rates :)

As for the RAM, well I'm kinda goosed there, I mean maybe down the line I could upgrade but I'm severely limited on money atm after the VR purchase so I doubt there will be much movement in that regard.

Has anyone any good beginner OC guide? I was going to follow this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE ) and this guide https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1411077-haswell-overclocking-guide-statistics.html ? I'll shoot for 4.5ghz and keep voltages below 1.3v, tbh I'd say I'll reach my thermal limit before anything as I only have a cooler master hyper 212 evo.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help, it really is greatly appreciated!! :):)

Really as I previously mentioned it is just a matter of increasing the multi of the cores ( little at a time and testing). That is the beauty of the Intel K processors. And keeping an eye on core temps. If you reach a point of instability early on, can add a little voltage to the vcore. ( cpu voltage).

However, I would strongly encourage you to look into the MFG of your motherboard's forums , you should be able to get some good info in there along with feedback to any of your questions. Each brand can have their own little quirks and can be a little finicky on certain things. Many even have overclocking guides posted.

I have EVGA motherboard and video card, and I have gained a lot of info over time from their forums.

Edited by dburne

56 minutes ago, Mukai said:

For the RAM, if your main goal is IL-2 in VR optionally you might get 8 GB 2666 MHz RAM and sell the 16 GB 1600 MHz ones. IL-2 doesn't need more than 8 GB. You may even end up saving some money but not sure about the prices.

The hyper 212 evo is not a bad cooler. It might not be sufficient for crazy overclocks but can be OK for a reasonable one.

18 hours ago, dburne said:

Really as I previously mentioned it is just a matter of increasing the multi of the cores ( little at a time and testing). That is the beauty of the Intel K processors. And keeping an eye on core temps. If you reach a point of instability early on, can add a little voltage to the vcore. ( cpu voltage).

However, I would strongly encourage you to look into the MFG of your motherboard's forums , you should be able to get some good info in there along with feedback to any of your questions. Each brand can have their own little quirks and can be a little finicky on certain things. Many even have overclocking guides posted.

I have EVGA motherboard and video card, and I have gained a lot of info over time from their forums.

17 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

For the RAM, if your main goal is IL-2 in VR optionally you might get 8 GB 2666 MHz RAM and sell the 16 GB 1600 MHz ones. IL-2 doesn't need more than 8 GB. You may even end up saving some money but not sure about the prices.

The hyper 212 evo is not a bad cooler. It might not be sufficient for crazy overclocks but can be OK for a reasonable one.

Thanks to everyone for all the help :) I've preemptively started to OC my processor before my Rift arrives (next Friday, T Minus 7 days :D ) so I'll have a stable OC well in advance of getting the Rift. 

I've gotten the 4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz (from the 3.5ghz) at 1.25v. I ran Prime95 for 1 hour, no issues or errors and the temperatures hovered around 70-75c with spikes to 79c but they didn't last there for long. I'm going to do further stress testing over the weekend and maybe bump it up to 4.6ghz if i can because I'm definitely close to my thermal limit with this cooler so I don't want to go messing with the voltages too much. Hopefully this will be Ok for VR.

17 minutes ago, Mukai said:

Thanks to everyone for all the help :) I've preemptively started to OC my processor before my Rift arrives (next Friday, T Minus 7 days 😄 ) so I'll have a stable OC well in advance of getting the Rift. 

I've gotten the 4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz (from the 3.5ghz) at 1.25v. I ran Prime95 for 1 hour, no issues or errors and the temperatures hovered around 70-75c with spikes to 79c but they didn't last there for long. I'm going to do further stress testing over the weekend and maybe bump it up to 4.6ghz if i can because I'm definitely close to my thermal limit with this cooler so I don't want to go messing with the voltages too much. Hopefully this will be Ok for VR.

:good:

Good job! 

My 4820K I settled for 4.5 GHz, I could not get it any higher unless added significantly to the vcore and I just did not want to do that. Mine has been running at this ever since I originally did the build back in Dec 2013, solid as a rock.

Your overclock will definitely help you especially with VR.

Edited by dburne

54 minutes ago, Mukai said:

Thanks to everyone for all the help :) I've preemptively started to OC my processor before my Rift arrives (next Friday, T Minus 7 days 😄 ) so I'll have a stable OC well in advance of getting the Rift. 

Sounds very promising. Voltage and temps are good.

37 minutes ago, dburne said:

Good job! 

My 4820K I settled for 4.5 GHz, I could not get it any higher unless added significantly to the vcore and I just did not want to do that. Mine has been running at this ever since I originally did the build back in Dec 2013, solid as a rock.

Your overclock will definitely help you especially with VR.

Similar for me with 4790K. Dead stable at 4.7 GHz at 1.26v, but was not able to make it stable at 4.8 GHz even on 1.32v. So I am using it on 4.7.

7 hours ago, Mukai said:

I've gotten the 4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz (from the 3.5ghz) at 1.25v. I ran Prime95 for 1 hour, no issues or errors and the temperatures hovered around 70-75c with spikes to 79c

That´s pretty good indeed with your current cooler. Good job!.

I don´t know how many threads you use in Prime95, but running IL-2 VR is like running one thread.

I commented that at this post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3/?do=findComment&comment=514455

The OC procedure I followed is explained here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3/?do=findComment&comment=565743

I would suggest always running 4 threads when stress testing with Prime95.

At least an hour, me personally I prefer to get 2-3 hours once settled in on an exact overclock to make sure.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I would suggest always running 4 threads

I only do OC to play IL-2 VR. 

So if I want to determine my maximum OC in my CPU and I base those calculation on Prime95 with 4 threads (instead of 1 or 2), then I will reach the thermal limit earlier and will reach a lower OC frequency. Resulting in a lower performance when playing IL-2 VR.

If you only do OC for IL-2 VR, there is no reason to run Prime95 with more that 1 or 2 threads.

In my case I use 4.9GHz for all cores, and IL-2 VR is 100% stable at that freq.

But probably, if I run Prime95 with 4 threads at 4.9GHz my system would not be stable, pushing me to reduce it to maybe 4.7 or 4.6.

In summary, If your OC limit with prime95 (4 threads) was 4.5 GHz, you will be probably fine running at 4.6 or 4.7 with IL-2 VR. So you have been always leaving 0.2 GHz on the table. Well, just my theory as usual... :blush:

Edited by chiliwili69

12 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

So if I want to determine my maximum OC in my CPU and I base those calculation on Prime95 with 4 threads (instead of 1 or 2), then I will reach the thermal limit earlier and will reach a lower OC frequency. Resulting in a lower performance when playing IL-2 VR.

If you only do OC for IL-2 VR, there is no reason to run Prime95 with more that 1 or 2 threads.

But probably, if I run Prime95 with 4 threads at 4.9GHz my system would not be stable, pushing me to reduce it to maybe 4.7 or 4.6.

In summery, I your OC limit with prime95 (4 threads) was 4.5 GHz, you will be probably fine running at 4.6 or 4.7 with IL-2 VR. So you have been always leaving 0.2 GHz o the table. Well, just my theory as usual... :blush:

I will respectfully disagree with you here.

I go for overall true stability, not just results in one game.

Others can certainly make their own minds how they wish to do their overclocking.

I would also strongly advise anyone overclocking to do their own research on their MB mfg forums. Lot of great info and help can be had on them.

Also if reaching thermal limit on CPU, likely need better cooling. Or maybe has too much voltage, which would not be worth the risk.

I have been overclocking since the days of the Celeron 300a chip. Got that puppy to 450 MHz.  And have seen many times over the years how an unstable system can behave over course of time.

Thankfully now it is not as tough as it used to be, not having to mess with the FSB for our overclocks but mainly a multiplier and core voltage ( with the K chips). Too many times I have seen folks that thought they were stable start to experience game crashes ( or other programs) or lockups and pulling hair out trying to figure them out. I have had an unstable system do fine in one particular game, but lock up whilst doing something else, even less demanding than the game.

Edited by dburne

15 hours ago, dburne said:

I will respectfully disagree with you here.

I go for overall true stability, not just results in one game.

Others can certainly make their own minds how they wish to do their overclocking.

I would also strongly advise anyone overclocking to do their own research on their MB mfg forums. Lot of great info and help can be had on them.

Also if reaching thermal limit on CPU, likely need better cooling. Or maybe has too much voltage, which would not be worth the risk.

I have been overclocking since the days of the Celeron 300a chip. Got that puppy to 450 MHz.  And have seen many times over the years how an unstable system can behave over course of time.

Thankfully now it is not as tough as it used to be, not having to mess with the FSB for our overclocks but mainly a multiplier and core voltage ( with the K chips). Too many times I have seen folks that thought they were stable start to experience game crashes ( or other programs) or lockups and pulling hair out trying to figure them out. I have had an unstable system do fine in one particular game, but lock up whilst doing something else, even less demanding than the game.

16 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

In summary, If your OC limit with prime95 (4 threads) was 4.5 GHz, you will be probably fine running at 4.6 or 4.7 with IL-2 VR. So you have been always leaving 0.2 GHz on the table. Well, just my theory as usual... :blush:

Hey guys :) In P95 I ran 4 torture test threads for the hour. 

Also to get a sort of 'second opinion' I ran x264 stability test for 12 hours overnight, came back and everything was still running (good start :) ), every time I looked at it the temps were around 60-65 (checked every hour or so) but looks like it spiked to 73c at some point. But the system seemed stable after the 12 hours, even with the test still running everything on my system was responding :)

@Mukai

Sounds like your rock stable and the boys explained both sides of the coin if you want to go further.

I fully stand behind Dburnes recommendation of checking you motherboards manufacturer forum for overclocking guides. Preferably you might find those specific to the bios you have. Those general overclocking guides tend to get both lengthy and confusing as every manufacturers differs in both logic and naming of the exact same thing.

28 minutes ago, Mukai said:

checked every hour or so

The best way to monitor temps (and many other variables like GPU temps, GPU clock, fan speeds, ) is to use a trending application. I use MSI Afterbuner which free and valid for any motherboard manufacturer:

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe//vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip

You can configure the trend to log many hours if you want by adapting the sampling frequency of the trend. I normally set it to 1 second. So you can see if after 10-20 minutes your PC tends to overheat.

Just for comparison you can also run Prime95 with 1 or 2 threads and also IL-2 in monitor or VR. You will see that IL-2 doesn´t demand more.

3 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

The best way to monitor temps (and many other variables like GPU temps, GPU clock, fan speeds, ) is to use a trending application. I use MSI Afterbuner which free and valid for any motherboard manufacturer:

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe//vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip

You can configure the trend to log many hours if you want by adapting the sampling frequency of the trend. I normally set it to 1 second. So you can see if after 10-20 minutes your PC tends to overheat.

Just for comparison you can also run Prime95 with 1 or 2 threads and also IL-2 in monitor or VR. You will see that IL-2 doesn´t demand more.

Sorry I misled there, I used MSI after burner and HWmonitor to log max temps. What I meant was that every now and then I would check to be sure things weren't going nuclear and the temps were hovering around 60-65 in x264 and 70-75 in p95, sorry for the miscommunication :)

So I'm at my thermal limit with this cooler for sure, I tried going to 4.6ghz but it just wasn't as stable for me, over an hour I got an error in P95 (after 30mins). So I'll keep it at 4.5 for now. Thanks again for all the help guys, it really is appreciated as I had no idea what i was getting into :)

5 minutes ago, Mukai said:

Sorry I misled there, I used MSI after burner and HWmonitor to log max temps. What I meant was that every now and then I would check to be sure things weren't going nuclear and the temps were hovering around 60-65 in x264 and 70-75 in p95, sorry for the miscommunication :)

So I'm at my thermal limit with this cooler for sure, I tried going to 4.6ghz but it just wasn't as stable for me, over an hour I got an error in P95 (after 30mins). So I'll keep it at 4.5 for now. Thanks again for all the help guys, it really is appreciated as I had no idea what i was getting into :)

4.5 is a very nice improvement for you, enjoy!