chiliwili69

Measuring rig performance: Common Baseline (for IL-2 v3.010)

Do we have, or are we expecting a new track? 

I'm wondering if the way to go might be to create a scripted test mission rather than relying on a recorded track? 

4 hours ago, Voyager said:

Do we have, or are we expecting a new track? 

I'm wondering if the way to go might be to create a scripted test mission rather than relying on a recorded track? 

my thought s excatly, make a mission and leave it on auto-pilot would be best

The problem with recorded tracks are two:

1.- Frequently they don´t work after a game update (which is understandable since new tech/features are introduced or modified for the good of IL-2)

2.- They might not fully replicate the full load of CPU/GPU since some items might been already calculated (Flying model, AI, etc). This is a minor problem anyhow.

The problem with missions with Autopilot is that the AI acts differently every time. Alonzo tried that some months ago.

The best solution would be that the Dev team would create a base track (always updated) to test the performance. But the problem is that they are always busy with other priorities, which is also logical since the team is always delivering what is more demanded and/or more profitable for the company (remember Companies are made to earn money)

It is clear that performance is still the big issue in VR, specially with the latest devices and future to come. There are many variables out there:

- Settings of individual headsets (WMR, Pitool, SteamVR, etc)

- Settings of the IL-2 game

- Hardware and their settings: CPUs/Overclock (Intel, AMD, frequency), GPUs, RAM freq, etc

I think a performance test would be a worth item to be implemented in IL-2. I don´t think it will require a very big effort.

We will be able to use it for four reasons:

- To know objectively the influence every IL-2 setting.

- To know the best hardware for IL-2 and IL-2 VR

- To test how different VR headset behaves

- To know why someone is obtaining less performance that it should be.

I think this is important for the IL-2 VR users, and ultimately for the 1C/777 profits.

If you agree with that you can vote here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39713-il-2-in-game-benchmark/

On 10/6/2019 at 9:07 AM, adonys said:

do we have any benchmark results for eGPU? is it really worth it or not?

I've identified @blitze and @stupor-mundi until now as using eGPUs..

I've not tried to run benchmarks. Also I don't have a 'regular' rig which would enable me to do comparisons.

Guess I should mention, playing IL-2 wasn't an objective when I decided on buying the laptop/eGpu combo.

From reading the various threads, and considering the issues I've had / have , around microstutters/stutters and disappointing fps in multiplayer, I get the impression that beyond the general expected performance hit compared with a normally installed 1070, the graphics issues which have (weirdly, to me) to do with multiplayer data transfer (netcode), seem to be particularly bad with eGpus.

I've looked into whether the relatively weak mobile cpu might be the bottleneck but it appears not to be the case, at least according to task manager.

So, for running IL-2, I'd advise strongly against getting an eGpu.