=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

On 3/12/2019 at 2:59 AM, I./JG62_Knipser said:

Guys, could you please stop flooding this thread with all this nonsense and personal discussions!! Do you really want the TAW devs to go through all this bullshit? what is this, a f***in' kindergarten?!?

Overcast weather in game is unrealistic.

But if the mission editor can use snow weather (even in summer maps) with no snow precipitation, the weather looks much more like an overcast, dont know if the editor allows to select this weather in non winter maps

53588193_2130485437004552_8352767636081213440_o.thumb.jpg.c0d40210670301d80a6c5e6ccce39452.jpg53628890_2130493720337057_2083590404539678720_o.thumb.jpg.375d1a20adef1e7e3fa1c85b553fe21d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Overcast weather in game is unrealistic.

this screenshots from VR?

9 hours ago, STOIKIY said:

this screenshots from VR?

Yes VR.

Go ahead and put in the bad weather every damn day.  I'll fly above it drop through the clouds over the target destroy the target and climb back above it and fly home.  Navs are easy when you have a compass and a stop watch!  Now let's get less chit chat and more movement to the next campaign.

I'll be seeing you above the crappy weather.

>S<

JG51_Ogg

CO JG51Molders

42 minutes ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Navs are easy when you have a compass and a stop watch!  Now let's get less chit chat and more movement to the next campaign.

Before we get on with the show, does anybody know a website to learn from or formula to look at to convert TAS + time into distance flown?  I kind of prefer instrument flying inside the blind layer on days like that. Trouble is, I have to drop down from time to time to get map references because I don't know how to do the calculation. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Before we get on with the show, does anybody know a website to learn from or formula to look at to convert TAS + time into distance flown?  I kind of prefer instrument flying inside the blind layer on days like that. Trouble is, I have to drop down from time to time to get map references because I don't know how to do the calculation. 

Assuming Pe-2 at 2000m at 400 IAS = 452.  50km/452 * 60 = 6.63 min (.63 *60 = 6:37) So 6 min 37 secs to fly 50 km at this speed/alt.

If flying on a server with working NDBs.  Pe-2's have a distance gauge on right panel in top gunner seat.  (Reads 0-7 with 7 being the strongest)  It varies with alt how it reads the strength of signal so you will have to test at different alt's to see what is the equivalent of 25, 50, 75 km as I am not at gaming computer atm. 

IasTasChart.jpg

Edited by Plurp
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

To ballpark TAS add 2% to IAS for every 300m of altitude. You can then calculate distance flown more accurately.

• Thanks 1

Even just copying the cloud settings from the D-Day mission on the combat box server for use in a good deal of missions on TAW would be a good start. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Do you think we will ever get tank spawns incorporated into the campaign? With the advent of tank crew, some combined arms in TAW could really take the server to the next level in my opinion, especially for co-coordinating for assaulting defenses etc. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

https://il2missionplanner.com/#moscow

This if for the moscow map.  Use the settings icon in lower right to change maps.

click on the aircraft icon middle upper left. place first check where you are starting from, subsequent waypoints to any desired place and the final destination. When completed simply "finish " the flight whereyou input overall speed.  You can change speeds for individual legs by clicking on the route info and simply change the airspeed.

You can input a speed and if you have a stopwatch you can fly above the clouds to your destination within about 1.5Kilometers accurately.

I set a climb speed of 325Km/H and a cruising speed of 425 Km/H  Climb from airfield to 5K is usually around 20Km.  Once you learn your airframe it's pretty easy to use.

It's easy peasy quick and sleazy

>S<

Edited by JG51_Ogg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

So when is the next TAW?

+ 1 week

Dear admins,

can you share some information about your plans to start a new campaign? 

Elapsed time 900h 08m

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Norz said:

Dear admins,

can you share some information about your plans to start a new campaign? 

Elapsed time 900h 08m

+1 week

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 1:59 AM, AKA_Relent said:

Something odd about the map - currently mission #421... Maikop is not marked "Defend", yet there are still hangars and other buildings and parked aircraft and such (landed there).  Shouldn't this airfield be safe from attack since there are no adjacent enemy territories (e.g. Ust-Labinskaya is back to Russian control), and of course there is no "Defend" on the map for the airfield as mentioned?  Obviously, the depot is just south, and that has a "Defend", but I didn't think this applied to the nearby airfield.  Also, there was a German aircraft there, as the attack emblem came up (knife, with the blue aircraft icon below), but the AAA did not spawn.

@=LG= can you check this out?

Thanks!

It will be fixed. 

On 3/25/2019 at 1:29 AM, Ala13_knightcrow said:

Hello

I would like to understand why I've just been caputured, if I had an emergency landing in my zone, allied side of the map. I mean I was flying a spitfire and I landed inside the russian zone of the map (1533.1  at Kuban #432).

Kind regards,

Ala13_Knightcrow

It will be fixed. 

On 3/26/2019 at 1:43 AM, 72AG_Obi said:

This is for TAW devs. I consider it as a bug. If you get shot by friendly AAAs and bailed out, you got penalized by loosing the plane and negative score. It occurred to me twice, one was over our defense that I tried to protect, another one above friendly AF when I attacked a bomber.

I don't think the pilot should be penalized by dumb action of our AAAs.

I will check it.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:59 AM, =IS=Rammzess said:

=LG=Kathon, show statistics of anti-aircraft guns please.

Type                                                                         Shot down aircraft

52-K 62
61-K 337
72-K 296
GAZ-AA M4 41
M4 13
ZiS-5 72-K 243
Flak 36 349
Flak 37 39
Flak 38 73
MG-34 AA 18
Sd Kfz 10 Flak 38 170

On 3/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, Norz said:

2 Admins:

is it possible to track in the log that the navi lights were switched on/off (or the aerobatics traces) ?

In old Il2 it was possible (traces) and was used for the recon missions.

In this case we can use Po2 in the same way as Ju52.

Unfortunately there is no info about lights in the log files.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:21 AM, Carl_infar said:

The bad weather as you call It that we have in taw is not a real bad weather. Its just overvast with light rain , slight fogging (where still you have something like 7-9 km visibility )And unrealistic high cloud base of 1.8 to almost 3 km (You can call It bad weather for armchair pilots). In europe even in summer when the weather is good the base of the good weather clouds (cumulus clouds) is rearly as high as 1.8km . If You want a real bad weather (about which You are quoting Patton)the clouds base should be much much lower (much below 1000m And sometimes even just above the ground)And visibility in rain also shorter. Additionally the icing is not moddeled in il2 which was also hampering the real life missions  quite often during bad weather in winter, early spring etc

There are five different types of clouds in general. Here are stats from the last campaign:

Type    Number
clear    109    24%
light    128    29%
medium    126    28%
heavy    43    10%
overcast    39    9%

Give me "historical" ratio for each type plus cloud base range and I will try to add it to the script.

=============================================================================================================================================

Next TAW campaign will probably start next weekend (~11-12.05). We are in the test stage now. Stay tuned ;) 

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

Next TAW campaign will probably start next weekend (~11-12.05). We are in the test stage now. Stay tuned ;) 

Will there be list of changes since last campaign? 

p.s really looking forward to next TAW

21 minutes ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

Will there be list of changes since last campaign? 

p.s really looking forward to next TAW

Sure they will :)

• Like 3

Very much looking forward to the next campaign  - thanks for all of your hard work guys! 

Hoping to play Blue this time if the balance isn't too off-kilter.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Non issue

Edited by JG7_X-Man

14 hours ago, AirshowDisaster said:

Very much looking forward to the next campaign  - thanks for all of your hard work guys! 

Hoping to play Blue this time if the balance isn't too off-kilter.

They have no control over that - let not beat a dead horse. :blink:

On 5/2/2019 at 8:30 PM, =LG=Kathon said:

Sure they will :)

I hope that for U-2 will invent something new

About bad weather: the airplanes at WWII can not be considered really as All Weather airplanes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that if the weather was bad - planes where grounded and nobody flew. Especially not any operations. (For example: battle of the Bulge, or Ardennes operation - Germans were successful as long as the weather stayed overcast and Allies could not bomb their panzers).

Hence I suggest one removes the really bad weather from the rotation altogether. There would have little to no air activity, and this is a flight simulator - pilots would have enjoying drinks of different colors at their clubs or shelters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

About bad weather: the airplanes at WWII can not be considered really as All Weather airplanes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that if the weather was bad - planes where grounded and nobody flew. Especially not any operations. (For example: battle of the Bulge, or Ardennes operation - Germans were successful as long as the weather stayed overcast and Allies could not bomb their panzers).

Hence I suggest one removes the really bad weather from the rotation altogether. There would have little to no air activity, and this is a flight simulator - pilots would have enjoying drinks of different colors at their clubs or shelters.

They offer to take into account the weather in the days when there was aviation activity at the front. This is confirmed by documents

Those who do not want to fly in bad weather can they say what is bad weather for them, please?

Those who do not want to fly in bad weather can they say what is bad weather for them?
For me, fly constantly under a blue sky, without wind, with little clouds, no mist, no low clouds etc... I
t has no interest!

I had already noticed on IL2 and IL2 1946, people shouted "We want more realism", "yeah ... more realism" And when at a COOP or on a server there were a lot of clouds, or a bit of rain the same ones were crying "please no clouds !!!" "Argh not rain !!!"

Buzz

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Those who do not want to fly in bad weather can they say what is bad weather for them, please?

Buzz

Snow/Rain = bad weather

Spoiler

Edited by Norz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, but a bad weather like that for 3 or 4 hours on the 168 hours of a TAW week is really not too much. Flying in bad weather is also a challenge, do not you think? It's all about finding a balance in this weather management. Certainly, "more good weather" than bad weather but bad weather anyway, from time to time.

Edited by 615sqn_Buzz

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Yes, but a bad weather like that for 3 or 4 hours on the 168 hours of a TAW week is really not too much. Flying in bad weather is also a challenge, do not you think? It's all about finding a balance in this weather management. Certainly, "more good weather" than bad weather but bad weather anyway, from time to time.

Why do you think it is only 4 hours in the week (168 hours of a TAW week, what is that, is it the usual calendar week?) Do you have any statistic? I saw it time to time more than once in 48 hours (that means 4 hours in 6..7 hours where I was online. I don't have any idea what the weather was in another 35 hours in these 48 hours). 

P.S: The statistic from the post above:

overcast    39    9%

My choice is not more than 5% (once in 48 hours as I wrote before).

Edited by Norz

No Norz, sorry I don't have stat, it was just an example. 168h it's the number of hours in a week. And 5%  it's already that.  it's not a lot but it's already that ;)

11 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

No Norz, sorry I don't have stat, it was just an example. 168h it's the number of hours in a week. And 5%  it's already that.  it's not a lot but it's already that ;)

Hm. As I can see 5% <> 9%.

I'm with Norz on this one: Snow/Rain = bad weather.

Especially when Rain/snow covers the whole map area - which typically is the case in the server. If we can have showers of rain in limited areas of the map, moving with wind - I'm ok to fly in those conditions. Some operational air activity would have been possible in real world too as some of the AFs would have been open.

For Buzz: I fly this for war/tactical realism - not for the challenge of flying in bad conditions. And I still stand by my earlier statement (until otherwise proven) - in general operations were not flown in rain or snow, and therefore - that is weather realism from tactical warfare perspective.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

Snow/Rain = bad weather.

Bad weather for the blue, but many reds are happy to fly in this weather and are happy with it.

What do you think about it?

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Bad weather for the blue, but many reds are happy to fly in this weather and are happy with it.

Or... Clear weather for blue, but many reds are not as happy to fly in this weather and are not happy with it.

What do you think about it?

(According to your logic, as long as the weather is random; both sides will be 'happy' or not 'happy'.)

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ACG_Sketch said:

Or... Clear weather for blue, but many reds are not as happy to fly in this weather and are not happy with it.

(According to your logic, as long as the weather is random; both sides will be 'happy' or not 'happy'.)

clear    109    24%
light    128    29%
medium    126    28%
heavy    43    10%
overcast    39    9%

data of last war

As you can see clear sky is found on the server almost 2.5 times more often.
But historically, during this period rather bad weather dominated.

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1
  • Upvote 1

I think that if those those numbers are accurate, they perfectly make sense for an online flight simulation server.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, Plurp said:

Assuming Pe-2 at 2000m at 400 IAS = 452.  50km/452 * 60 = 6.63 min (.63 *60 = 6:37) So 6 min 37 secs to fly 50 km at this speed/alt.

If flying on a server with working NDBs.  Pe-2's have a distance gauge on right panel in top gunner seat.  (Reads 0-7 with 7 being the strongest)  It varies with alt how it reads the strength of signal so you will have to test at different alt's to see what is the equivalent of 25, 50, 75 km as I am not at gaming computer atm. 

IasTasChart.jpg

PLURP,

I'm asking out of ignorance here.  Is this chart taken into account in IL2?  In other words do they change with altitude as they should?

>S<

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Lets not make this red/blue thing - for the record LLv24 plans to fly RED on the coming TAW.

Sure - low visibility reduces the speed advantage BLUE fighters have as they cannot see to zoom/boom as easily. And that is not why I suggested this.

5 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

As you can see clear sky is found on the server almost 2.5 times more often.
But historically, during this period rather bad weather dominated.

Historically operations were not flown at low visibility conditions for several reasons (and I'm not going there). For me, TAW is emulating the air war war at Eastern Front - why should we try to fly operations in conditions where they were not flown historically?

all-weather fighter

all-weather fighter

[′ȯl ¦weth·ər ′fīd·ər]
(aerospace engineering)
A fighter aircraft equipped with radar and other special devices which enable it to intercept its target in the dark, or in daylight weather conditions that do not permit visual interception; it is usually a multiplace (pilot plus navigator-observer) airplane.
Edited by LLv24_Kessu
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think many of us are advocating for a serious increase in the rain or snow missions on TAW. 

Personally what I'd like to see is more heavy/low cloud cover missions. As I mentioned in a previous post, the ambience and effect on tactics of the cloud settings used on the D-Day mission on the combat Box server is fantastic. This type of heavy overcast/cloud with partial breaks is very typical to the weather in the area represented as well. 

Once again, I don't think many here are advocating for weather in which the pilots did not fly in real life. 

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

PLURP,

I'm asking out of ignorance here.  Is this chart taken into account in IL2?  In other words do they change with altitude as they should?

>S<

If you are asking about TAS, then yes, it seems to be modeled.

I did some tests in a pe-2:  @ 300m I was able to go 437 km/h IAS or 444.4 TAS [10 km took 81 secs]

@5000m I was able to go 381 km/h IAS or 493 TAS  [10 km took 73 secs] 

So at alt you gain a 48.6 km/h speed increase or 8 secs for every 10km.

Tests done on Stalingrad Autumn map:  Going by game specs: if you can achieve stated speeds, it would be a 52 km/h speed increase.

Edited by Plurp
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

Historically operations were not flown at low visibility conditions for several reasons (and I'm not going there). For me, TAW is emulating the air war war at Eastern Front - why should we try to fly operations in conditions where they were not flown historically?

Historically, in the 41st year in the fall, there were very few sunny days near Moscow. This is confirmed by military records from the archives.
Perhaps we will make a table with the real weather of that period by the days when the aircraft was active, and present it to the server administration.

• Upvote 1

I like how the weather is done right now. 😄

I feel no need to fly in rain every mission.

• Upvote 5