=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

How was this campaign won / lost -> on planes lost.

How was this achieved mainly - > by defensive / offensive flights from the VVS fighers.

Which type of planes won the campaign -> FIGHTERS.

What was the most effective way of wining the campaign for VVS in the end -> kill enemy planes faster than ours get killed.

What should I fly to ensure victory????

What am I good in???

For me the answer was fighters and goal was to destroy planes / pilots - which I did.

The problem is that we do not have enough targets for the bombers. I saw only depot (usually TOO far and only 1 or 2) and AF. 

Usual story for the red or blue fighters:

just stay high over own AF, wait the bombers, attack them and go to land after that. 

I am not sure that it is OK. I see no way to survive there for attacking side because USUALLY there are enough starting planes. I can arrive at 5..10k and attack the red/blue planes but they will just go lower for 1k than I am and i can't go lower and lower and lower and do more pressure because as I said before there are a lot of starting planes and soon or later someone will help the enemy that is under attack.

I suppose some ground target should be added and not in the zone 10 km from the enemy AF.

Edited by Kra
  • Upvote 2

remeber also to disable all russian planes, so they stay on ground and will not make the LW life miserable and finally we might see no more LW whining posts...

I'm flying red next time but I'll offer you a little challenge. Fly in the next one as a LW ground attack aircraft.Not in an La-5 or a Pe-2, fly a Stuka or a 110-E and then we can have a chat about the campaign after its over.  

well hopefully we will see some mass stuka formations from the LG guys next time of maybe some low strikes in 110's?

No for that, for sure, because attacking ground targets from low altitude is asking for trouble. And it's excatly the reason why we can't fully agree that 61K is OP. We don't know how many of that 61K kills are from bad decision, which is low strikes with 110, attacking without recon (is there AAA or not?) etc.

• Upvote 4

No for that, for sure, because attacking ground targets from low altitude is asking for trouble.
Ah but you see the problem is when you have a completely overcast sky with very low cloud and it's raining you have no choice but to fly lower. So unless you stay back at base what are you supposed to do?   

IIRC lowest cloud level is set to 2000m. It's enough for dive bombing. When I'm ground pounding I'm droping bombs from high dive angle, and I never getting lower then 1000m. Maybe it's not too accurate but until there is AAA, better that then dead.

Kill the AAA by a group of fighters first, than attack with the slow cumbersome planes.

Teamwork is key. 

And fast dive towards target is easy for AAA - you need to change trajectory of plane to make the AAA adjust the aim - so fly past it on the edge of its range so it tracks you and at the same time your mate comes from the other side and takes it out. So what if you fly at 700km/h - as long as your trajectory is straight towards the AAA you are going to get hit - unless the AAA is tracking another plane and it is pointed away from you. 

Edited by PeterZvan

I'm flying red next time but I'll offer you a little challenge. Fly in the next one as a LW ground attack aircraft.Not in an La-5 or a Pe-2, fly a Stuka or a 110-E and then we can have a chat about the campaign after its over.  

Ah, but I planned to do exactly that - fly blue side attack and bomber planes.

So challenge accepted :)

Kill the AAA by a group of fighters first, than attack with the slow cumbersome planes.

Teamwork is key. 

And fast dive towards target is easy for AAA - you need to change trajectory of plane to make the AAA adjust the aim - so fly past it on the edge of its range so it tracks you and at the same time your mate comes from the other side and takes it out. So what if you fly at 700km/h - as long as your trajectory is straight towards the AAA you are going to get hit - unless the AAA is tracking another plane and it is pointed away from you. 

there are good advises but they do not work for the blue side (I mean for the cases if you are alone in the target area).

As I said before i did about 40 sorties in the row for the red side with Pe2 87 series (WOL) and was not killed at all by the working AAA (just dived all the time from 3k). For the blue side it does not work at all (WOL). I have some experience with that, about 15% of the time played with 110 or 88.

The diving speed is just not enough to survive with 110 or 88 with good chances.

Edited by Kra
  • Upvote 1

IRC lowest cloud level is set to 2000m. It's enough for dive bombing. When I'm ground pounding I'm droping bombs from high dive angle, and I never getting lower then 1000m. Maybe it's not too accurate but until there is AAA, better that then dead.
Our squad did several Stuka missions, we came in at around 3500m, did a wing over diving attack and got shredded by AAA. I think out of a flight of 6 or 7, 2 survived and one of those was damaged. Our squad is not a rookie outfit.

Ah, but I planned to do exactly that - fly blue side attack and bomber planes.

Excellent, I'll look out for you in your Stuka  ;)       

• Upvote 1

IIRC lowest cloud level is set to 2000m. It's enough for dive bombing. When I'm ground pounding I'm droping bombs from high dive angle, and I never getting lower then 1000m. Maybe it's not too accurate but until there is AAA, better that then dead.

It's gonna be absolutely hillarious. Get used to the Taste of Hat, cause you are gonna eat one. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann
  • Upvote 1

Once i spot a [edited], it goes directly to my ignore list and i stop replying to him; experience says it's like trying to discuss with a brick wall... a total waste of time..

My list already has four guys included, and three are from 6/ZG26.

See you in the virtual skies.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 1

Once i spot a [edited] it goes directly to my ignore list and i stop replying to him; experience says it's like trying to discuss with a brick wall... a total waste of time..

[edited]

Not here.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 3

My only suggestion is to include two additional fields in the stats:

- Best ground streak (showing the best achieved ground streak while mantaining the current streak field)

- Best fightet streak (same as above bit for fighters)

And use those to classify the best ground attackers and fighters of the campaign. Same thing could be done with Tank destroyers as well ...

What do you think?

• Upvote 2

- Best ground streak (showing the best achieved ground streak while mantaining the current streak field)

And use those to classify the best ground attackers and fighters of the campaign. Same thing could be done with Tank destroyers as well ...

What do you think?

+1, would take my vote if only one change to stats was made. This should be used as the final determination of awards at the end of a campaign. Just because someone might have had a hot streak on the later maps doesn’t mean they should take the award for “Top fighter/bomber/tank killer” in the campaign. It really should be based on who had the overall highest streaks, not the last people that could maintain one before the campaign ends.
  • Upvote 1

We know what it is with current settings as they haven't been changed since 5 campaigns or more :)

And about your hope sorry but TAW dev team already decided few days ago to make changes to AAA, especially to 61k.

I'm sorry Artur, but this is not correct.

For example, AA positioning in tank columns was changed within the last 5 campaigns. 61-k used to be forward facing in convoys. It was then changed that some were facing rear as well. 

• Upvote 1

Our squad will go LW, and we started some training with a saved TAW map.

We noticed that in the defense position there were only one 61-K and one heavy 85mm, is this correct? or the position we got in the map was spawned as damaged from an earlier mission? Because we didn't find it hard to engage. We find more dangerous the 72-Ks in the tank columns, mostly because of the higher rate of fire.

I'm sorry Artur, but this is not correct.

For example, AA positioning in tank columns was changed within the last 5 campaigns. 61-k used to be forward facing in convoys. It was then changed that some were facing rear as well. 

But the tank columns don't have 61-K?? IIRC they have 25mm 72-Ks and quad maxims.

Once i spot a [edited], it goes directly to my ignore list and i stop replying to him; experience says it's like trying to discuss with a brick wall... a total waste of time..

I bet if we all got on voice comms and flew together, we’d find we have much more in common than different. Pretty sure everyone would also have a great time together, no matter who normally flies blue or red in TAW. Just a few simple differences of opinion and perspective, no need to call people whiners and what not.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 10

What do you think?

I think you should not panic when playing BoX. If you know what I mean.  :lol:
Anyway, we are considering this.

Columns have the truck mounted ZSU-61k

Columns have the ZIS5-72K, the only available truck with an anti-aircraft gun (in game) made in CCCP.

Columns have the ZIS5-72K, the only available truck with an anti-aircraft gun (in game) made in CCCP.

I stand corrected thank you :)

Honestly going up against that and 61-k in defensive positions I could not tell difference. And thats with a lot of TAW experience on blue. 

I stand corrected thank you :)

Honestly going up against that and 61-k in defensive positions I could not tell difference. And thats with a lot of TAW experience on blue. 

Well, it's meant to be very Challenging to fly Ground Attack (for one Side). 

And because flying Fighters shouldn't be too hard, the Gunners are only ornamental and the guns look nice, but shoot as straight as a Catholic Priest. 

Sorry for the off topic LG guys but...

Guys, next one that insult another member cus of its nationality, be it Belgian, Ethopian or wherever you want to think of, or any other personal attack will be gone for at least 1 month. Im really really tired of people getting personal with others and insulting them in any fashion and form.

Its Xmas, be good and enjoy the family

Haash

• Upvote 16

Hi all friends.

Me no comment nothing about AAA, im sure LG guys will made good work about it.

Seems next edition many big squad go to blue side, any big group come to red?

thx

With us switching over to Red, [edited] making up for a comparatively low number

Really poor taste. Last warning, as usual

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Tumu is right, LG going blue and it seems that no relevant squadron it's joing the red side. TWB maybe staying red?. Anyway, we will fly with what we have, and will enjoy ourselves.

PS. Thanks moderators for the reply. I think insulting people for their nationality or any kind of ethnic hate it's the lowest kind and should not be tolerated.

• Upvote 1

But I'm absolutely looking forward to flying my P-40 again.

[edited]

You didnt say that, you lost your oportunity to say it right the first time. I recommend you to step back and think thru your next post.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Once again, this thread is more fun than flying the game. I look forward to the last map just so I can read all this BS. Lol

• Upvote 1

I am going to red as well, I try to switch every campaign. P-39 and A-20 should be out by next campaign it should attract enough squad and players to play red ;)

A-20 is gonna be absolute Fun, but I appear to be the only one in my Squad to reserve more Excitment for it than the P-39. 

And the Yak-7b will be a big Surprise to many as well and I feel quite alone in being giddy to get my Hands on it. It's gonna the first Yak I really like ingame, with Range, Firepower, Speed and Stable Manouvering. And it looks beautiful 

Here is something else i observed during last campaign . 

1 / some few ju 87 flying pairs or lonely ,maybe discouraged by slow speed but huge payload ..

( i m dreaming about flying +12 ju 87 dive bombing ) 

2/ the fantastic amount of jabos  190 / 109  in my idea more than 60 % of the flights  ( a single 190 = 1/2 pe 2 payload ..) 

3/ i  never see a hs 129  

1+2 +3 / Hans-Ulrich Rudel, "Stukas pilot  "  doesn't describe HIS war with jabos only ... but full squadrons of ju 87  ground attack .  ( i know we are in a game and not at  real war , and looking for fun all together  )

This to show a  potential working axe for the next  campaigns . 

I wrote it a few times so far. Since every tank in the game can be killed by even the 50 kg bomb, the 109 is the best tank killer for Germans. You can load four small bombs and kill four KV-1 during single sortie. If there is no AA of course.  There's no other LW plane that could do similar job effectively. The VVS has plane which is far more suitable for ground attacking role than any other plane in its inventory. LW doesn't. The only reason why to fly any German ground attacker instead of Jabo on TAW is just that you are the fan of such aircraft. 

Just my two cents.

I wrote it a few times so far. Since every tank in the game can be killed by even the 50 kg bomb, the 109 is the best tank killer for Germans. You can load four small bombs and kill four KV-1 during single sortie. If there is no AA of course.  There's no other LW plane that could do similar job effectively. The VVS has plane which is far more suitable for ground attacking role than any other plane in its inventory. LW doesn't. The only reason why to fly any German ground attacker instead of Jabo on TAW is just that you are the fan of such aircraft. 

Just my two cents.

The best tank killer is Ju88. You can kill all 16 tanks just for one person (the same result you can reach with IL2). Do you have in your stat 4 killed KV1 with 109? No? I know it. Sometimes the theory and the practicy are not the same.

Edited by Kra