6./ZG26_McKvack

Would you rather have a new Battle of X that follows BOM and BOS(plane capabilities) or would you like something new?

Pacific - Guadalcanal - early war Solomons/Slot Map.

That gives us Cactus Air Force and the early, FIERCE fighting for Guadalcanal (Wildcats, P-400's vs Zeke, Betty) where there was force parity (important factor) and almost daily aerial engagements.

Then from there you move up the slot after Guadalcanal is taken and we can then have Corsairs, P-38's and Blacksheep campaigns and the like. Not to mention float plane operations (too much fun)

Then bring carriers in later when development resources allow - carriers were a non-factor more or less during the Solomons campaign.

If they would do this, they'd increase their revenue drastically. The mere announcement and pre-order would have most of use throwing money at them.

They'd increase their user base, then they'd have resources to go back and return to and flesh out Russian fronts later.

This would probably be the wisest move, even from a financial standpoint. I'm not holding my breath.

That gives us Cactus Air Force and the early, FIERCE fighting for Guadalcanal (Wildcats, P-400's vs Zeke, Betty) where there was force parity (important factor) and almost daily aerial engagements.

Then from there you move up the slot after Guadalcanal is taken and we can then have Corsairs, P-38's and Blacksheep campaigns and the like. Not to mention float plane operations (too much fun)

Then bring carriers in later when development resources allow - carriers were a non-factor more or less during the Solomons campaign.

If they would do this, they'd increase their revenue drastically. The mere announcement and pre-order would have most of use throwing money at them.

They'd increase their user base, then they'd have resources to go back and return to and flesh out Russian fronts later.

This would probably be the wisest move, even from a financial standpoint. I'm not holding my breath.

That would definitely be a smart scenario (moreso than when people point at Midway - a 7 day battle at the most). The travel times are a little long but there are quite a few bases established up and down the chain of islands as time went on. It's a fun map in IL-2 1946 as well. The aircraft are a pretty good set of matches for each other. Definitely a good suggestion!

The revenue I'm less convinced of. I don't remember Pacific Fighters drawing in many more players than Forgotten Battles already had. It seemed like we picked up a few but not a ton. The hardcore sim players were already engaged no matter what theatre. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong... and this is anecdotal at best anyways.

The revenue I'm less convinced of. I don't remember Pacific Fighters drawing in many more players than Forgotten Battles already had. It seemed like we picked up a few but not a ton. The hardcore sim players were already engaged no matter what theatre. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong... and this is anecdotal at best anyways.

I think you're right about before - the hard-core sim players already being engaged no matter the theater - that's the way I remember it as well.

I think going to the Pacific would bring in more players otherwise engaged in DCS or ROF at this point. Or those who are on a flight sim hiatus

because they've had enough of Yaks and 109's to last a good long while.

Early carrier battles would probably be an attractive subject for the devs. Very cost effective in that the standard 10-aircraft addon could easily include all the major torpedo, dive bombers and fighters, and still have four slots left for 2 seaplanes and 2 land based bombers. Plus the land/sea ratio would cut map development costs dramatically.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Midway addon was announced.

Early carrier battles would probably be an attractive subject for the devs. Very cost effective in that the standard 10-aircraft addon could easily include all the major torpedo, dive bombers and fighters, and still have four slots left for 2 seaplanes and 2 land based bombers. Plus the land/sea ratio would cut map development costs dramatically.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Midway addon was announced.

Yep but remember airplanes take a huge amount of resources between the modeling, physics, LOD's, etc.

A fully realized SBD-3 would be no small task.

Carriers up to current standard would be a HUGE drain on resources out of the gate - that's the biggie really.

So such an add-on is more work than you might think.

The smart move IMHO would be a small'ish, non-historic play map much like we had in the old IL2/Pacific Fighters to start with.

Land bases, float plane bases. Just enough to get us up and flying and get the pre-orders rolling in.

You only need 3 - 4 aircraft to start with.

Then a larger map with more islands, more planes, then static place holder carriers, then fully modeled moving carriers.

That's how I'd go about it anyways.

I really hope we get to see Leningrad area soon. We already now have lots of planes that fit that front, along with all the official JG54 and Finnish skins that we have in BoS/BoM. It does not even need to be official next title. We really "just" need the map of Leningrad area / Gulf of Finland. Then whenever we get Bf109 G6's, Fw190 A4's, Yak-9's etc from whatever battle, they would automatically fit to the Leningrad area also.

Very good points!

The Gulf of Finland map should bring almost all the rest finnish Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 veterans and also very many new players to this great simulator! :)

• Upvote 1

I don´t think that it would be unbalanced. I belive that it would be more balanced than BoM and BoS is now.

The D.520 and MS 406 were nearly as good as the Bf 109 they were only deployed in too low numbers but that is no problem for us because we are not bound to the historical numbers.

They also suffered from time consuming command structures which made a effective defence very hard. But such problems are no problem for MP because de mission builder decides how much planes we get so no problem with that.

Yes agreed, a Battle of France plane set would be interesting and yes, the French failure both in the air and on the ground had very little if anything to do with the quality of their equipment.

I think these Pacific ideas are great steps but ones that should be taken after they give the Eastern Front some continuity. Battle of Moscow breaks it from the so-called 'Yak vs 109' cycle with the Ishak, MiG and P-40 for the Allied side, and the Macchi.

On A2G, the Axis pilots have a heavy strike fighter, a dedicated dive bomber, a traditional medium bomber and a true jack-of-all-trades.

The Allied pilots while lacking variety have two versions of a flying tank that can dispatch fighters at will and a true fast-bomber that can hit level, dive, strafe and whatnot.

The much-vaunted 1943 expansion would enhance the playing field further by adding the Hs-129 and probably the Do-217 for the Axis bomber hangar, either the Il-4 or the A-20 for the Allies, likely bundled with a proper two-seat Il-2 (I do not consider the 1942 Frankenstein mod a two-seater - fly defenseless but fly clean :biggrin:). The fighter groups would surely benefit from a P-39, perhaps a Spitfire, in addition to nice rarities like the IAR.80/81. All that asides, it can finally pack a nice big sea to go with it. Torpedoes, ships and all that fun stuff. Alternatively, if they took it north we would lose the Spitfire but win things like the Buffalo, which would also be a great add-on as Forgotten Battles showed.

A large map with both significant portions of land and sea seems like a perfect next step before going all the way across the world. If this is to be the successor of Il-2, it needs a nice continuum of aircraft within the same context, and this also helps keep the community less fragmented. The old Il-2 still suffers from that a lot, the second the map rotates into something else half of the people drop off, which was and still is disappointing.

The smart move IMHO would be a small'ish, non-historic play map much like we had in the old IL2/Pacific Fighters to start with. Land bases, float plane bases. Just enough to get us up and flying and get the pre-orders rolling in. You only need 3 - 4 aircraft to start with. Then a larger map with more islands, more planes, then static place holder carriers, then fully modeled moving carriers.

The way I understood the development, was that every expansion is based on some actual scenario with historic map, aircraft and ground units related to that specific operation. So any idea of non historic map, something from here and something from there ... is out of discussion. 

I think these Pacific ideas are great steps but ones that should be taken after they give the Eastern Front some continuity. Battle of Moscow breaks it from the so-called 'Yak vs 109' cycle with the Ishak, MiG and P-40 for the Allied side, and the Macchi.

I think we already have a continuation of Eastern Front in form of BoM. More Eastern Front may keep the players but also may lead to a decrease, potential Kursk or Kuban would mean more Yaks, Lavochkins, FW-190s and 109s. I dont really get excited by that. Though its my opinion only. 

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

I completely understand, I feel the same way with a lot of the Pacific scenarios (mostly because I was knee-deep into them back when CFS2 came out, and then once Pacific Fighters appeared as well).

Generally speaking it's hard to please everyone, what keeps me happy is the assurance that sooner or later everybody gets their share of fun, as long as they are patient enough to stick around :)

Generally speaking it's hard to please everyone, what keeps me happy is the assurance that sooner or later everybody gets their share of fun, as long as they are patient enough to stick around

What keeps me happy is hope for 64bit upgrade. Finally I wont have FPS issues despite running GTX660 and Core I5  ;)

In case of potential expansion I think if someone wants to propose something, it should be at least a real scenario with fitting aircraft setup and idea for actual campaign. 

The way I understood the development, was that every expansion is based on some actual scenario with historic map, aircraft and ground units related to that specific operation. So any idea of non historic map, something from here and something from there ... is out of discussion. 

Remember our old Guadalcanal/Florida island map? Were you around then?  Historic as far as geography but we had to be creative with the scenarios since

there was no actual Guadalcanal vs Florida combat that happened.

I'm talking about something like that just get started - sometimes you have to think outside the box a little to get things done.

Producing an entire Solomons map complete with Rabaul is a huge undertaking and would be practically impossible for an initial release - thus stages.

I think I was more than clear above about the historic nature of the campaign/progression.

Edited by Gambit21

I'm talking about something like that just get started - sometimes you have to think outside the box a little to get things done. Producing an entire Solomons map complete with Rabaul is a huge undertaking and would be practically impossible for an initial release - thus stages. It's not a hard thing to get.

Out of box thinking is cool, but they actually try to create a suitable pack that can work as an expansion and standalone. It's supposed to offer historical campaign, single player missions, historical maps and plane set. That's the model we've got.

Producing a large map is so far too much for the engine. This was mentioned on Russian forum when someone suggested Crimea and Kuban at once and reply was simple - its too big for a single map. The way I suggested "my" Burma, I basically opened google maps and started measuring the area not to get something crazy. And building Solomon Islands in parts would still take time. Besides, campaign in Solomon Islands practically excludes Japanese Army. 

So any fan of Oscar or Tony could forget about them. 

Yeah map size is a problem - 'sigh'

I can dream I guess.

As far as excluding the Oscar and Tony - doesn't matter.

That's another theater and a different set of AC, just like the other campaigns/add-ons. :)

Edited by Gambit21

Well, it matters to me since I like those. In case of this regions. SWPA wins by far with New Guinea. Moderate distances (Lea - Buna - Port Moresby - Milne Bay) and eventually you dont have to exclude any branch since both Army and Navy were operating there. 

Though I still admit that idea of 1940 France is very tempting. Just curious how looks the availability of documentation for French aircraft, Arsenal VG 33 for instance was a rare aircraft. 

France is always a good way to go - and crap planes are always fun.

The Japanese Army did operate some Ki-43-I Oscars from Bougainville (or was it Ballalae)... Premium option to go up against a Kittyhawk Mark III RNZAF Premium option maybe :D

Still doesn't solve the map size issue. Might have to look at more compact warzones.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

The Japanese Army did operate some Ki-43-I Oscars from Bougainville (or was it Ballalae)... Premium option to go up against a Kittyhawk Mark III RNZAF Premium option maybe :D

Still doesn't solve the map size issue. Might have to look at more compact warzones.

I remember floating the idea back in the day of a 1/2 scale Solomons map.

This would serve the purpose for a combat flight sim (most people are not going to want to set and fly the actual distance from Rabaul to Guadalcanal) but even

that might be too large, depending on the engine. The point though is that I think Pacific map sizes can be shrunk somewhat and not detract from the experience for most.

Just daydreaming out loud so to speak: I would love to see the Douglas A26 Invader in this sim oneday,...

Oh my, YES!!

That, the F8F Bearcat, and the Ta 152 C0 have always had a special place in my late war heart. Did '46 have either the Invader or Bearcat? It's been so long but I'm pretty sure I never flew them. The C0 handled awful in '46.

It had neither, HerrMurf.

Yesterday I fired up 1946 and flew a bit in one of the servers - they were playing a 1946 mission when I joined, which was fun. While everyone was flying the MiG-9, He-162, Ta-183 and that pesky Lerche. After getting shot down in the MiG-9, I changed strategy and took the La-7R instead (regular La-7 with a birthday candle on the tail). While this sounds like suicide, all the jet fighters were trying to outturn each other at low altitude. Not only they were terrible at it, but they were making at most 350km/h during these engagements and thanks to those clumsy engines acceleration was low. So, while they struggled to gain any speed, I would swoop in at a steady 550km/h and fly circles around them as they turned. I shot down one He-162, fatally damaged a Lerche, a Ta-183 and was hitting a He-162 hard when the map switched.

It's interesting how easy it feels to fly in 1946, in retrospect.

Sounds like your vote is for Battle of France then :)

Not particularly I just like the plane, I think they were used on the eastern front as well.

I want the med theater so bad... Or an end-war scenario, eastern or western front with some doras/Me 262.

Battle of France is seriously under-simmed, would be very interesting. MS.406, De.520, Hawk 75, Hurricane, Blenheim. 109E, Ju-87B, Do-17, Bf-110C, Hs-123 (this last one is scrounging a bit, not sure what other single seater to put in there though). A Fokker G1 as a premium aircraft would be interesting, but not sure how much data there is available on it. 

I think we're more likely to see Kuban first, and then maybe N. Africa. 

• Upvote 2

I hope they will stay on the Eastern front for some time - Leningrad, Kuban, Kursk are all good possibilities to build up on the current planeset, where a lot can be reused and release the new scenarios relatively quickly. In my opinion - jumping to a theater like France or Med - although both very interesting would mean a lot of scratch building and a long development time. I just speculate that Med/France/Pacific would bring a questionable result, maybe gaining something on western markets, but loosing on the eastern markets with all the added work. 

I hope they will stay on the Eastern front for some time - Leningrad, Kuban, Kursk are all good possibilities to build up on the current planeset, where a lot can be reused and release the new scenarios relatively quickly. In my opinion - jumping to a theater like France or Med - although both very interesting would mean a lot of scratch building and a long development time. I just speculate that Med/France/Pacific would bring a questionable result, maybe gaining something on western markets, but loosing on the eastern markets with all the added work. 

No more money is coming from me until Med or Pacific pack. One of these should be done next. Then revisit the Eastern Front.

I remember floating the idea back in the day of a 1/2 scale Solomons map.

This would serve the purpose for a combat flight sim (most people are not going to want to set and fly the actual distance from Rabaul to Guadalcanal) but even

that might be too large, depending on the engine. The point though is that I think Pacific map sizes can be shrunk somewhat and not detract from the experience for most.

Spawn in the air?

Spawn in the air?

No

Anyways, for me, coming in that order makes the most sense. 

1. Kuban late 43 (+Hurricane and Fw189 or Hs123 DLC)

2. Med

3. Burma

4. Ju-52 and Po-2 DLC

1, 2 and 3 use Spitfires, Hurricanes and P-40s and build on one another, at least allied side until Burma. 

The german plane set is pretty much complete and really needs only minor modifications at this point. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

No more money is coming from me until Med or Pacific pack. One of these should be done next. Then revisit the Eastern Front.

ok, bye 

No

1. Kuban late 43 (+Hurricane and Fw189 or Hs123 DLC + P-39)

1,5 Kursk with HS 129

2. Med

3. Burma

4. Ju-52 and Po-2 DLC

1, 2 and 3 use Spitfires, Hurricanes and P-40s and build on one another, at least allied side until Burma. 

The german plane set is pretty much complete and really needs only minor modifications at this point. 

I don´t disagree with you , I just added something

• Upvote 1

Smart money IMHO is developing multiple fronts at once, especially now with the growing Eastern front plane set.

Eastern Front requires (mostly) new maps, a new plane here and there.

This isn't an all or nothing in one direction or the other equation.

The Zeke really should be visited with this game engine at some point - there was nothing close it anywhere in the world in 1942, and the Zeke vs Wildcat matchup

was arguably the fiercest, mostly bloody, and evenly matched prolonged, daily engagement that happened anywhere in the war.

To boot, it was also just about the most fun I ever had in the old IL2... even though there were flaws. The Zeke was able to dive too quickly and the

.50 cals...oh the .50 cals...they just didn't do the damage they should have.

When flying the Zeke (or other Japanese plane) online I always introduced myself via chat as "Warrant Officer Yamaha Kawasaki" and many Allied planes went down under

his guns. Damn - I really do miss those Hyperlobby days...hosting CoOps. 'sigh'...'sniff'

• Upvote 2

I don´t disagree with you , I just added something

No

Anyways, for me, coming in that order makes the most sense. I'm trying to keep the western allied aircraft to one per theater in russia and intertwine them with some other theatres.

1. Kuban late 43 (With a Spitfire) 

1.25 Murmansk with a Hurricane

2. Med

1.5 Leningrad where the P-39s saw service against Finns

3. Burma

1,75 Kursk with HS 129

4. Second Line Aircraft DLCs (Ju-52, Po-2, Fw189 etc.)

5. BoBerlin Me 262, K-4, He 162 Arado  :biggrin:

So, for the most part I have all of the aircraft I need except the Yak 9, La5 FN, and Bf 109G6 and maybe a Dora. I am willing to spend one more time and one more purse in the East. After that we need to move on or my purse strings close. There are plenty of other interesting scenarios and aircraft during the war besides staying exclusively in the East. If the genre can't cater to a more diverse customer base the funding will dry up. There are other games out there and If I need to fly IL2, I already have most of what I want.

Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf

I agree: Kuban late next seems logical.

No

1. Kuban late 43 (+Hurricane and Fw189 or Hs123 DLC)

2. Med

3. Burma

4. Ju-52 and Po-2 DLC

• Upvote 1

Who am I kidding, i'd buy whatever they release, but man.... PTO in this engine would be a dream.

1_by_roen911-d9k7nfd.jpg

• Upvote 4

Who am I kidding, i'd buy whatever they release, but man.... PTO in this engine would be a dream.

Surely not before it switches to 64bit. Given this sim`s limitations the Japs would not need any kamikaze to destroy the murican fleet.

So, for the most part I have all of the aircraft I need except the Yak 9, La5 FN, and Bf 109G6 and maybe a Dora. I am willing to spend one more time and one more purse in the East. After that we need to move on or my purse strings close. There are plenty of other interesting scenarios and aircraft during the war besides staying exclusively in the East. If the genre can't cater to a more diverse customer base the funding will dry up. There are other games out there and If I need to fly IL2, I already have most of what I want.

Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

If one is able of thinking, ETO can be one of the most varied theaters of them all. Just don`t be placing 5 different Yak types every release. Besides, what we want and what this engine can do is two different things.

When flying the Zeke (or other Japanese plane) online I always introduced myself via chat as "Warrant Officer Yamaha Kawasaki" and many Allied planes went down under

his guns. Damn - I really do miss those Hyperlobby days...hosting CoOps. 'sigh'...'sniff'

Zeke guns sux royally, even MG/FF doesn`t sux that much.

Not really. Gradually when the Allied planeset expands, LW is going to need new stuff to be even remotely competitive.

With this I agree. If we could do PTO without any (and I mean : any) ship stuff, it would be a good idea to bring more western clients. Besides, I`m a fan of the Ki61.

In case of potential expansion I think if someone wants to propose something, it should be at least a real scenario with fitting aircraft setup and idea for actual campaign. 

I think it should be said that developpers deserve credit for putting up with bomber/ground attack aircraft. Not easy to do and takes away resources but adds so much if one wants to create a good theatre of operations.

I love spending 45 minutes looking at my radio compass.

Sure, I love coming back to my AF on red fuel diode and noticing the AF is gone and all is left is water.

Not really. Gradually when the Allied planeset expands, LW is going to need new stuff to be even remotely competitive.

So what? The next couple of theatres will only require variations on the Fw190A, later Bf109Gs, Bf110s, Ju-88s and so on. Visual and Flight models are all done and just need tweaking to create later models. Really the only new additions would be maybe a 410 and a Fw190D.

They can easily push out three german aircraft per month as they have shown. (BoM Il-2 1941, Pe-2 1941 and Bf109F-2)