6./ZG26_McKvack

Would you rather have a new Battle of X that follows BOM and BOS(plane capabilities) or would you like something new?

When I say new I still mean the standard 8 planes default with 2 extra planes but would you want them to focus on another plane-set that follows BOM and BOS like fighter-attacker/light bomber-medium/heavy bomber or something new like recon missions, transport mission, dropping supplies with chutes, medical evacuation missions including finding downed pilots, dropping paratroopers etc

Example a german plane-set with Ju-52 that covers transport, dropping paratroopers, medical evacuation, dropping aerial supplies and a F1-156 Storch that can do recon missions, find downed pilots, do special operations, medical evacuations...

Even something new like a Go-242(glider aircraft) towed by a Ju-52 :)

A plane-set with a standard Bf-109, Bf-110, Ju-52, Go-242 and premium Storch(or change the Storch with the 110)

Imagine the possibilities we could get(if possible) :)

I would love something new like I mentioned that has never been done before. I think this would be a better future for the new IL-2 franchise 

post-26788-0-48093700-1447096578_thumb.jpg

post-26788-0-28333000-1447096587.jpg

Please discuss my ideas and new ideas  :biggrin:

Edited by McKvack
  • Upvote 8

I think that fleshing out non-combat roles is a nifty idea, personally, but I don't know if it will really draw anybody from the historic GA sim crowd and I don't think it'll sell the way air/sea/land-combat aircraft do.

• Upvote 3

I heard the devs created those tanks just for fun and had no impact on the development time of the aircraft...

I wonder if instead of tanks, they'd develop the Storch or something other just for fun...

Po-2

• Upvote 7

The "Battle of X" concept is great...  a new map, with 8+2 compatible new aircraft, complementing the existing set.

To add something new, I would suggest going maritime (or at least large lakes and rivers).  Battle of Murmansk, Battle of Karelia, Battle of the Black Sea... lots of water.... all good!

Personally, I'd love to see some sea planes. Ar-196, He-59 or, my personal favourite... the He-115.

• Upvote 7

I heard the devs created those tanks just for fun and had no impact on the development time of the aircraft...

I wonder if instead of tanks, they'd develop the Storch or something other just for fun...

Po-2

I still think a transport/recon aircraft-set that isn't dependent on a particular operation would be a great idea... But again, would it draw anybody in and will it generate a profit? Probably not the way a Spitfire, Mustang or Zero would.

• Upvote 2

I welcome the addition of new planes in any form, especially when talking about "oddities" or less appealing planes that probably would not suite the current marketing model.

Not sure about the idea of combat gliders though as their tactical use is rather limited and while probably being fun to fly in MP they're also extremely difficult to use, so I guess they earned a lot of frustration / disinterest (really would love to fly a DFS 230, it even had a MG!).

Planes I'd like to see and consider valid as individual (or packed) expansions for the axis are the Ju-52/m3, Fi-156 Storch, Fi-126, Hs-123, Hs-126, He-115, Do-24, Ju-86, He-112 B (Romanian service), Fiat Cr.42 (Italien)

For VVS: Li-2, Su-2, I-15/153, Po-2, ...

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 3

I'll buy anything they throw at me. 

Loved them since their name was NeoQb and it never stopped.

What I would love to see is a mountain map.

• Upvote 1

I welcome the addition of new planes in any form, especially when talking about "oddities" or less appealing planes that probably would not suite the current marketing model.

Not sure about the idea of combat gliders though as their tactical use is rather limited and while probably being fun to fly in MP they're also extremely difficult to use, so I guess they earned a lot of frustration / disinterest (really would love to fly a DFS 230, it even had a MG!).

Planes I'd like to see and consider valid as individual (or packed) expansions for the axis are the Ju-52/m3, Fi-156 Storch, Fi-126, Hs-123, Hs-126, He-115, Do-24, Ju-86, He-112 B (Romanian service), Fiat Cr.42 (Italien)

For VVS: Li-2, Su-2, I-15/153, Po-2, ...

Awesome list of planes. 

Whatever they decide to do next I hope we will see more completely new aircraft and not only earlier/later variants of the ones we got. Sure some planes would be awesome to get a later/earlier version and some needs to be a plane we already got because it would fit the best but I hope they chooses the one plane set with most new planes :P

Btw here is a cool video with german paratroopers in action together with the sexy Ju-52 

Edited by McKvack
  • Upvote 1

~S~ McKvack,

I was just musing over this topic in the back of my mind last night, and, I'd like to see my favorite plane included, the Arado Ar-196 Floatplane!

Also, in the interest of new ideas, how about a "fantasy" pack, where we fight non-franchised versions of various "End Bosses", and go on "Raids". :o:

Now that, would be Epic! :biggrin:

!S -Jupp- :salute:

Godzilla.jpg

To me, since # of planes and flyables are not substantial at this point, it makes most sense to stick with areas/campaigns that can make use of what we already have in addition to some new ones -rather than a completely new theater and plane set.

That being said, please give me the P-39 Airacobra and a good campaign to fly it in eventually! ;)

• Upvote 6

I really would like to see a combined arms approach to the game. This is what WW2 really perfected. It is also something which simulators deliver only in a very light version.

• Upvote 1

For the time being maybe the Lend lease aircraft , maybe do like Rise of Flight .

For me i would rather buy individual aircraft . I can not aford another $80.00 .

Im saving up for that Gunfighter joystick . :) :)

I'd like to see the entire eastern front eventually fleshed out before moving elsewhere. That would be fastest, with most of the assets already in place. Barbarossa to the Elbe would be pretty nice, and a dynamic-esque campaign like the ones of old would be perfect. 

Besides that, the Afrika theatre would be interesting to see as well.

• Upvote 2

Most logic with would be battle of Kursk. With additional planes for the current battles. And general improvement and fine tuning of FM, DM, AI, campaign, multiplayer and maps. I also hope to fly recon and transport planes but I doubt this will happen.

Edited by Bussard
  • Upvote 2

I'm all in with the idea of recon, transport and medical evacuation. The flight sim genre is ripe for some original thought with regards to new modes of gameplay.

• Upvote 1

I like the current model a lot actually. I could see them selling planes by them selves as well which would be welcome. I'd personally like to see something post BoS so we get some faster planes. That or something in the pacific would be fantastic to me. At the end of the day i'll probably pick up whatever they release unless its some sort of tank pack. Tanks are uninteresting to me.

Edited by simplyjames
  • Upvote 1

MY plan if I was in charge would be to release BOS X standard 8 + 2 Special.

But on the side create JU-52,.... as a 10 dolla not game changing release. Maybe a couple of "non combat" each X release. Optional, not game changing, but might get some extra customers.

We dont need black or white. Why not a bit of both!!!!!!!!!!!

BoK - Battle of Kuban

xurkdxxb.jpg

Axis:

109 G6

190 A5

Hs 129

Do 217

Premium:

IAR 80/81

"Platin"(additional 20€ and you get a platin bar and all skins unlocked):

Ju52

Allies:

Yak 9D

La 5F

A-20 Boston

IL-4

Premium:

P 39D

"Platin":

Po-2

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*
  • Upvote 15

+1 for Kuban peninsula but I'd include Sevastopol since it's a major battle and changes hands numerous times so that map would be good for added value down the road.

• Upvote 1

+1 for Kuban peninsula but I'd include Sevastopol since it's a major battle and changes hands numerous times so that map would be good for added value down the road.

I'd add Battle of Crimea as next theatre..it was later, it was in 1944, so you could add later war planes like the G14, 190A8, Yak9T, Yak 3, and attach a "Crimea/Ukraine" map onto the existing Kuban map. Would be great for a dynamic campaign.

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*Celestiale*

Awesome list of planes. 

Whatever they decide to do next I hope we will see more completely new aircraft and not only earlier/later variants of the ones we got. Sure some planes would be awesome to get a later/earlier version and some needs to be a plane we already got because it would fit the best but I hope they chooses the one plane set with most new planes :P

Btw here is a cool video with german paratroopers in action together with the sexy Ju-52 

Thanks McKvash, great clip.  Fantastic soldiers, no doubt about it.

I really would like to see a combined arms approach to the game. This is what WW2 really perfected. It is also something which simulators deliver only in a very light version.

I agree totally with this. Growing beyond simply a flight sim and into a WAR sim is an important and natural step that would deeply enrich the sim we already have. Hopefully the tank teaser is a sign of this coming true.

And of course, +1 for Kuban!

• Upvote 1

If the developers previous projects are looked at chronologically, it will be seen that they like to present the wars in reverse. RoF for example began with the American contribution to the air war and worked its way backwards. The latest series here began with Stalingrad and is now working towards the events outside Moscow the year previously. If this trend continues we may expect the next instalment to be the invasion of Poland perhaps, with the Spanish Civil War after that.

If the developers previous projects are looked at chronologically, it will be seen that they like to present the wars in reverse. RoF for example began with the American contribution to the air war and worked its way backwards. The latest series here began with Stalingrad and is now working towards the events outside Moscow the year previously. If this trend continues we may expect the next instalment to be the invasion of Poland perhaps, with the Spanish Civil War after that.

I guess the devs would be experts if we get the Spanish civil war because biplanes and stuff

And since the Ju-52 were like nr1 bomber there, they cant keep it AI anymore so Im fine with that

I like the current model, but I would be happy about something that's not on the eastern front...

Don't know about the Spanish civil war. Depending on the stage (1936 - 1938) it is heavily in favour of the axis/facistic forces with modern Bf 109 E-3s vs I-16, I-15 and P-26 ect. Still it has a certain attraction due to the wild variety of aircraft thrown and tested in battle like the first Do-17 and He-111 (by that time stunningly modern bombers with great performance), the He-112, the early Bf 109s (B, C and D) as well as the funky looking Ju 87 As.

Those aircrafts alone would be reason enough to get such an expansion but also equire a lot of ressearch and effort to recreate- probably far more than later, common war types due to worse documentation. It is therefore unlikely that IF such a scenario is to be created as an expansion it would sell lower than one of the current ones.

Edit: I forgot to add this to my previous list: Avia B.534. Such a beautyfull aircraft + it can be added to either the axis or allies (depending on the stage of war it infact fought against both).

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

I would like a really good campaign for the exisiting settings. It might even be static (or semi-dynamic...missions don't change but you squad members, planes, etc. do), maybe with some narrative between missions. This could be sold as some sort of DLC I would gladly buy. Desastersoft lives just from campaign sales...so I believe it would also be financially worthwhile to the developers. Actually it would encourage me to buy more planes...so the effect might be even bigger than just selling a campaign.

Alexander

• Upvote 2

Afrika theatre

We are missing this for a long time .

BOB

MED

BOS

BOM

but no Afrika .

• Upvote 1

I'd add Battle of Crimea as next theatre..it was later, it was in 1944, so you could add later war planes like the G14, 190A8, Yak9T, Yak 3, and attach a "Crimea/Ukraine" map onto the existing Kuban map. Would be great for a dynamic campaign.

sounds good.  He 177. (late model with fixed engine problems)

BoK - Battle of Kursk will be the next one :biggrin:

"The Germans began their push against the Soviet forces near the city of Kursk, some 500 kilometers southwest of Moscow, in July 1943. But receiving early warning from the intelligence services about the upcoming attack, the Soviets reinforced their positions - resulting in a showdown with over 8,000 tanks, 5,000 planes and 3 million soldiers involved on both sides."

• Upvote 1

BoK - Battle of Kursk will be the next one :biggrin:

"The Germans began their push against the Soviet forces near the city of Kursk, some 500 kilometers southwest of Moscow, in July 1943. But receiving early warning from the intelligence services about the upcoming attack, the Soviets reinforced their positions - resulting in a showdown with over 8,000 tanks, 5,000 planes and 3 million soldiers involved on both sides."

Wouldn't make much sense, sorry to say that. Stalingrad and Moscow maps are both great, because the battle at those regions went over a long time, multiple phases, different seasons, and (possibly) different stages of plane setups. Same would be regarding Kuban or Crimea. But not Kursk. Kursk was one big 3 week battle, and then it was over. Bad for a dynamic campaign of any sorts

Kursk however would be a neat addition (mod map by someone like Zeus maybe?) as soon as we got the planes that took part there (pretty much the same like Kuban). Could be a smaller map, only for reenacting the huge historic battle that took part there. 

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*Celestiale*
  • Upvote 2

Current format is great. Progressive release of aircraft every month is great also. Eastern front is very interesting. We have the turning point scenario, will have soon a scenario before the turning point, we need a last one after the turning point.... Before MTO :)

Hoping for a BOK in 2016, Kuban or Kursk!

Wouldn't make much sense, sorry to say that. Stalingrad and Moscow maps are both great, because the battle at those regions went over a long time, multiple phases, different seasons, and (possibly) different stages of plane setups. Same would be regarding Kuban or Crimea. But not Kursk. Kursk was one big 3 week battle, and then it was over. Bad for a dynamic campaign of any sorts

Kursk however would be a neat addition (mod map by someone like Zeus maybe?) as soon as we got the planes that took part there (pretty much the same like Kuban). Could be a smaller map, only for reenacting the huge historic battle that took part there. 

Battle of Kursk is a Key Battle. Battle of Moscow and Battle of Stalingrad are Key Battle, too. Next Key Battle are Operation Bagratyon and Berlin.

What will be the next one a lot to choose during the video playing :coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VKMTyoUMYY

~S~ McKvack,

I was just musing over this topic in the back of my mind last night, and, I'd like to see my favorite plane included, the Arado Ar-196 Floatplane!

Also, in the interest of new ideas, how about a "fantasy" pack, where we fight non-franchised versions of various "End Bosses", and go on "Raids". :o:

Now that, would be Epic! :biggrin:

!S -Jupp- :salute:

Godzilla.jpg

WOW! Can you imagine the polygon count on that monster.

Most logic with would be battle of Kursk. With additional planes for the current battles. And general improvement and fine tuning of FM, DM, AI, campaign, multiplayer and maps. I also hope to fly recon and transport planes but I doubt this will happen.

I would agree with you on Kursk, but someone had a good argument against this in that though it was a fearce battle, it was short. This and my thoughts of what it would require item wise on the ground to represent this raises some questions as to whether they could do this.

But the bottom line is it's nice to peacefully speculate about things and I'm sure most of the Dev's are already giving their thoughts about this. Or at the least wonder where their work loads will be.

By the reports the BIG meeting will be just after the first of the year. Then we'll see. As for someone's comment about North Africa well you might want to check out the projection by team Fusion on the ATAG forums. I believe North Africa is coming to IL-2.

Chief

Lots of interesting considerations here.

To McVack's original post: I think inevitably they will start adding a variety of aircraft. The fact is at some point they will have models overlapping left and right, and something will probably be done about that. I do wonder if we will get the Rise of Flight sales model after a few expansions. It works well. Or, alternatively, they could offer a hybrid sales model (i.e. a pack for those who want it and/or do not have any aircraft that overlap, and some aircraft offered as individual add-ons like the premium ones are now). That makes more sense since a lot of people would just want the Tante Ju or the U-2 out of a pack, while others do not have interest in them. Maybe they can also sell a Leningrad/Ladoga/Baltics/Helsinki map in the same format as the Channel map as well so that people can use all the different aircraft they have there.

I have a feeling we will be seeing that I-153 sometime soon though. They know too much to leave it untouched :biggrin:

On Kursk, I was thinking myself about the short timeline. I guess it is still doable though, perhaps as a shorter campaign - despite it being a three-week battle, pilots there were flying an insane amount of sorties per day. On the 7th July itself, the Luftwaffe and VVS combined sent out aircraft no less than 2872 times within 24 hours. That is over 119 sorties per hour, and if we consider that the vast majority was flown in the daylight, the number gets even higher. On top of that, even though it was a shorter operation it still was divided in many different stages. Hitting hard over the same battlefield with tireless air opposition should be awesome.

Alternatively, to extend the timeline considerably (not sure how to go about the aircraft though) they can easily have Kursk, Kharkov and Voronezh in a map that matches the Moscow one in size. That not only works well as a long campaign, but it can also be used as a prequel (or sequel) to a Kuban expansion since a lot of the action during the German 1942 offensive happened there.

If that will really be the case, that means Il-2 will have fleshed out the Southern side of the Eastern Front between 1942 until the 23 August 1943 in its full glory.

Either way, it seems that so far the devs and producer know just as much as we do about this and any answer will only come a while after Battle of Moscow is finished. Until then, time to speculate :wacko:

• Upvote 2

About Kursk... the German side of the equation, Operation Citadel, was fairly short lasting only a few days but that doesn't mean we couldn't have a good campaign. The Soviet counter offensive, Operation Kutuzov lasted another month into the middle of August and it would cover the same basic map area.

There was a buildup and stagnation for weeks before Citadel too so we could easily have enough for a 3 part campaign with a pre-battle status quo, Operation Citadel, and Operation Kutuzov.

I'd still like to see the Kuban battles as well... mostly for the scenery and because I know players would love having the P-39. But I suspect the next iteration will have the P-39 no matter what.

With the old IL2 some of the best mission we had was using carriers. Landing on them is a real challenge. This could drag us into the Mediterranean area of operations a few more Italian & RAF aircraft as well carriers, destroyers and new ground targets such as Panther tanks and a good size map with many options.