SYN_Haashashin

The Groups Sharing Corner

Spawn planes or have them enabled at start, then link a take off command to them. Make a mission begin trigger, link it to a timer (5 sec) then link the timer to the take off command.

A SP flak emplacement and a searchlight (yet again lifted from the campaign missions): https://app.box.com/s/k2aiu7xcuk5bhpugzc9d88m4kpyraejg

The group spawns in a flak gun and a searchlight and starts them "attacking" when an aircraft crosses into a checkzone (you have to define the side in the checkzones' adv. properties), and despawns them when the aircraft leaves the checkzone. Quite handy. (The radius of the flak gun's checkzone is 10000 meters. The searchlight's checkzone is 5000 meters). Single player only, I'm afraid!

flakandsearchlight_zps85zwj9jy.jpg

Edited by No601_Swallow

An MP flak emplacement and searchlight, adapted for MP. This is - for more or less the first time - quite a lot of my own work, so no guarantees, gents! But it seems to work. (It's possibly over-complex, with too many unnecessary deactivate triggers, with me being paranoid about multiple tripping of the complex trigger in MP. Well we'll see. Comments/corrections always welcome!). Here it is: https://app.box.com/s/v8zzx143pi5xrawr053gk76n6gi6ukmh

Again, the group spawns in a flak gun and a searchlight and starts them "attacking" when an aircraft crosses the complex trigger's radius, and despawns them when the aircraft leaves the area. (The radius of the flak gun's checkzone is 10000 meters. The searchlight's checkzone is 5000 meters).

searchlight%20mp_zpsi7eh4gz1.jpg

• Upvote 1

- Added flare when close for SP and MP. Its set for any German plane to trigger a red flare when enter the designated zone. If you want to change it to Russian do not forget to change the truck/vehicule country as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9r3tc8zr5ar0ho/Flare%20when%20near.7z?dl=0

I still cannot get this flare to work. I'm using it on a DF missions.

I changed the country to Russian and the vehicle to a Zis5 plus the cylinder to 4000m and when I fly in to it in an IL2 it doesn't trigger the flare.

Any ideas?

Emil

Sorry for the late answer Emil but I see you got it already ;). For MP I allways use Complex trigger, I never use Check zones, thats for SP.

Time to update the first post.

A counter you can cancel (which will reset it to zero without it firing).

post-31381-0-42822700-1427655281_thumb.jpg

Highlighted items:

Upper-left timer: reset

Lower-left timer: up

Right timer: fire

ResetCounter.zip

• Upvote 1

Shows a blinking message:

• After being started:
  • Show a message for 3 seconds, hide it one second, repeat N times (5 if unchanged)
  • Pause for 2 minutes.
  • Repeat the two steps above until stopped.

Example of use: I have a mission that goes in phases (bomb AAA, bomb AT, cover advancing tank column), and one of the sides (Russians) is responsible for starting each phase (by landing and respawning). To instruct Russians to start the new phase, I keep showing that blinking message. That can be obnoxious, though, if people see that blinking text all the way back during RTB. I have therefore added the pausing.

post-31381-0-21158600-1427669425_thumb.jpg

BlinkWithPause.zip

Based on the missing "Radio Mayak' of Ka-50 Black Shark I (in which was possible to tune a fictitious AM radio station dialing the helicopter radio for 125.675) a "Radio Belgrade" for hear in night missions around Stalingrad.  :music: 

If the mission time is around 21:30-22:30 at 21:55* you hear the classic Lili Marlene(1).

*This is the habitual schedule in which Radio Belgrade play this song every day in wartime. Adjust the hour as you wish

Translator Mission Begin > Trigger Timer (5s)* > Trigger Date Time (set for 21:55) > Translator Media (point for the song file in computer, in MP3).

Whether it is possible to adjust the radius of action and belonging to Luftwaffe or RKKA? Thanks!

S!

I just made a counter, which can be decremented in addition to the normal incrementation :)

IncDecCounter_v3

Usage notes:

Decrement counter limit must be one smaller than counter limit.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

- Trucks group. Will follow the waypoints. Now is set to follow roads so place them in a road and the same with the waypoint. This can be changed to be offroad and another formation. Also they have panic stop when a plane attack them. DO NOT USE THIS ONE UNTILL FUTHER NOTICE.

Hello Haashashin,

Is there any update on the truck group. I think there is an issue with the trucks crashing into the one in front when it got damaged.

Hi Jacko,

Yeah the problem with that group is that all trucks try to get to the same waypoint at full speed which is simply suicide. I did a quick fix for our MP missions, added WP to all trucks. I will see if I have the time to make another group.

Hi Jacko,

Yeah the problem with that group is that all trucks try to get to the same waypoint at full speed which is simply suicide. I did a quick fix for our MP missions, added WP to all trucks. I will see if I have the time to make another group.

Ok I guess a bit like the tanks group

A resetable timer. The timeout value must be sent in the "timeout" timer node in the middle. A caveat is that my group does not work for small timeout values. I don't know what's the minimal value, one can probably compute it. I think it should work for 1s or more.

post-31381-0-98551000-1432556829_thumb.jpg

The trick is that the timer is never actually reset, we just make sure that a timer that has been reset does not trigger anything by sending its output through a "gate" that can be closed or opened (a 0s timer with activate and deactivate triggers).

Another important detail is that a timer will forget what it's doing and start over if you trigger it before a running timer expires. One can see that as some sort of reset.

Also good to know is that a timer that is deactivated ignores incoming signals (which is why the "gate" I mentioned above works), unlike other trigger types, such as e.g. counters.

If you are confused by the group because you are looking for the part that brings the timer back to zero and keep it there, change your perspective. What the group actually provides is pause and restart.

ResetTimer.zip

Im not a programmer/mission builder but seeing this thread made me really happy.

This will be immensely helpful for future mission builders that decide to create something fun.

Everyone will benefit from your experimentation and discoveries.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

I have created several groups so far, but I really wonder if they can be useful to anyone.

- Scramble aircraft that triggers when ENY aircrafts enters a 15km perimeter

- AAA guns for airbase with sandbags shelters

- Arty guns with shelters/protection

- Static aircrafts for decoration of airbases

- and so on...

I am coordinating a dedicated section on our forum, I'll let you know when it works properlly.

And... I am looking for "intelligent" convoys (that fires at aircrafts, stop and start moving again...)

~S~ Everyone,

Here is the Group for the "Russian Star", done with Landing Lights, that I did.

There is a Read-Me and a .jpg of what the set up looks like in the Mission Editor.

Distribution Unlimited,

S! -Jupp- :salute:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45l0u91heqz5yjs/BoS%20Russan%20Land%20Light%20Star.zip?dl=0

Bo_S_LL_Star.jpg

Edited by Jupp
  • Upvote 1

Hey all -- put up a couple videos on some groups included in the "boneyard" group linked in the first post.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/17767-operations-server-instructions/

Essentially there is:

-- air group ( easily changed from A2A -> ground attack -> level bomb )

-- column group ( Tempest this should be just what you're asking for. Runs on road by default, panic stops when one gets killed restarts when the killed on is off the road )

-- abreast group ( tanks generally but anything you want moving abreast )

-- train group

-- and a few others mostly for meta stuff or trivial ( like the artillery group in there, although it does repair on a trigger ).

All the groups start deactivated and activate on trigger.

Display their ternary status on the map ( totally not active := no display, active but no units in play := "unit name", active w/ units in play := "[unit name]" )

All groups report Success or Failure when they leave the mission ( each unit deactivates after either dying or making it back to base) Group reports when all units are done.

All the groups their are also composable like functions are -- letting you start ( activate ) different units based on the success or failure of others.

Each of the groups has some group specific features as well. 

you all seem to really know what you're doing so I'll leave the explanation at that; but feel free to ask any questions.

Great thread btw

Heads up guys, many of the dropbox links in the first post are 404 error. Might be better to attach the file to the post as well as an external link, redundancy for sake of backup.

Here is an ambush group that implements the following "story":

• German platoon driving on road
  • Two Russian platoons hiding in forests
  • Russian platoons open fire
  • German platoon signal attacks using a green flare, then retreats driving backwards
  • German platoon fires back, as Russian platoons come out of cover and advance on their target's position
  • German platoon is ultimately overrun.

post-31381-0-49340000-1441642120_thumb.png

Maybe not so useful in a MP mission while everybody is busy fighting in a furball, but could be used in e.g. the intro of an SP mission.

Ambush.zip

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

This is great stuff coconut, I have always wanted to combine an air combatsim with a ground war campaign. Way back I was looking at Steel Panther for the ground element and IL2 1946 for the air but now a way may be possible to do it all in this sim.

It's possible to build interesting ground battles, but all too often all participants in the fight insist on relentlessly firing into the ground because the AI doesn't take hills and bumps into account. There is obviously room for improvement.

• Upvote 1

It's possible to build interesting ground battles, but all too often all participants in the fight insist on relentlessly firing into the ground because the AI doesn't take hills and bumps into account. There is obviously room for improvement.

Noticed this too.. unfortunately it appears to be by design (apparently an AI performance optimization). Shame, hopefully those issues will be revisited in the future by the devs.

• Upvote 1

If they ever go into including player-drivable vehicles, they will have to. For the moment, it's not too bad a compromise. From the sky, you notice when you have tank battles are limited to 5 tanks on each side, but you don't really notice when 40 tanks fire into the ground.

(the programmer in me cringes when he sees that being called "optimization". That's how politicians use the word, not engineers)

Easy to Place runways lights.  Three triggers are shown when you place this group, as well as the runway lights. Everything else is grouped and centered between the lights.  

Simply place RW lights group from the groups button in ME (button looks for groups in data/missions folder).

Rotate entire group to match runway orientation.

Space out the lights (effects) and landlighters (spot lights) in pairs and Place them on the Ground (button)

Good to go!

I have another version of this that uses check zones to activate German lights when German planes are close/deactivate when far (or despawned) Same is true if the Russian RW light trigger timer is used. This way the lights don't highlight the airfield for the bad guys unless good guys are close.  I'll get that one marked up for each use too if there's a request for it.

http://jdmadsen.net/ftp/Groups/Runway%20Lights.rar <---group file

RW%20lights%20Group.jpg

Edited by Menacing_Ferrets
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Easy to Place runways lights. Three triggers are shown when you place this group, as well as the runway lights. Everything else is grouped and centered between the lights.

Simply place RW lights group from the groups button in ME (button looks for groups in data/missions folder).

Rotate entire group to match runway orientation.

Space out the lights (effects) and landlighters (spot lights) in pairs and Place them on the Ground (button)

Good to go!

I have another version of this that uses check zones to activate German lights when German planes are close/deactivate when far (or despawned) Same is true if the Russian RW light trigger timer is used. This way the lights don't highlight the airfield for the bad guys unless good guys are close. I'll get that one marked up for each use too if there's a request for it.

http://jdmadsen.net/ftp/Groups/Runway%20Lights.rar <---group file

RW%20lights%20Group.jpg

Will definately use. Thanks

Will definately use. Thanks

Yes it looks a clear way to show the group. Actually gives me an idea for part of a fun mission where the runway lights turn on and off as  as the aircraft moves down the runway

Yes it looks a clear way to show the group. Actually gives me an idea for part of a fun mission where the runway lights turn on and off as as the aircraft moves down the runway

Jacko, each fire takes a few seconds to get going. It's never going to give that Battlestar Galactica effect, not even for Von "Tie-Fighter" Tom...

Edited by No601_Swallow

Jacko, each fire takes a few seconds to get going. It's never going to give that Battlestar Galactica effect, not even for Von "Tie-Fighter" Tom...

I was thinking land lighters ;)

Running a dserver with the mission time set to unlimited?

Still want to rotate maps based on Mission Objectives successfully completed?

This works for me...  

Simple to use, just trigger this based on your primary objective dying (or whatever else you'd like)

Timers and Subtitles are Packaged in a subgroup so only the activate Timer is linkable without going into the Timer/ Subtitle group.

Easy to place, easy to adjust.

Link to Group File Here .rar

Shown here before I grouped the Timers/Subtitles

post-80326-0-98975600-1446828506_thumb.jpg 

• Upvote 1

MF, is it possible to renew an aircraft at an airfield that had no aircraft of any kind specified initially? (Guessing no?) If not is it possible to list aircraft with quantity of zero, so the air field acts as a standby airfield in case of aircraft emergency only?

Edited by roaming_gnome

MF, is it possible to renew an aircraft at an airfield that had no aircraft of any kind specified initially? (Guessing no?) If not is it possible to list aircraft with quantity of zero, so the air field acts as a standby airfield in case of aircraft emergency only?

Do you mean transferring planes from an airfield to another? That could be interesting if it works.

Do you mean transferring planes from an airfield to another? That could be interesting if it works.

Yes. Essentially if I take a bomber a long ways away from front line and want to have a player refuel at an intermediate field before getting to target. I don't want to give them the ability to start from that field near the front line.

Have tested this in passing...  So far no joy.  WOULD BE SWEET though!! I do know if Return AC is not checked, even if you land a plane at it's spawn AF and RRR is on, it does not go back into AF inventory, it ceases to be!

What you can do is set up the AF to have one of the plane you will check for in the AF list with index of anything other than 0.  You'd want a pretty small zone to check for said plane on AF.  Use a CZ in to trigger a complex trigger of a smaller zone than the CZ that triggered it.  Use Sphere for this too to minimize someone being able to FLY though the check zone and activate that plane. Heck with a timer and a check zone out to disable the timer it is possible to make the Plane sit for several seconds in the CZ before the index change is triggered. Otherwise upon leaving CZ before timer is done the timer is killed before it can trigger the new index.

Say we are looking for a stukka and it lands, triggers CZ in, which activates complex trigger looking for stukka.   Have the Complex trigger bump the corresponding MCU behavior to change to the index number of the plane you just checked for.

Once a player spawns that new stukka, have another CZ reset the index to zero, that CZ covers only the spawn area. So you can essentially land a stukka, park it in a certain place and receive as message as soon as the index change goes through, like "you may exit your plane, it will be waiting for you in the hangar".  Then once it's spawned, everything goes back to the way it was. Only one CZ in need be active to start this, and once completed, the same should be true.

That make sense?

Issues to deal with in this scenario.  Loadout changes at temp AF? allow or not?  Totally up to you to figure out how ya want to run that.... 

This is all very interesting....

Too many projects to tinker with....      This is gonna have to wait....    but not long, cause I like the implications....

you know what would be super mean?  offer a stukka with just guns at AF X,place a note in mission brief directing pilots that ord for stukkas is available only at AF Y due to supply issues.  Require the landing and index trigger mentioned above to get a stukka with ord in AF list.  Your dserver will need 'lock loadout' checked for this to work.

Heck you can even get fancy and have the complex trigger activate a truck and drive it near the parked Stukka triggering it's own tiny CZ when it reaches it's destination next to the plane. That CZ then triggers the index change and subtitle about leaving the plane so they can arm it with ord and refuel it.

Fun times!

you know what would be super mean?  offer a stukka with just guns at AF X,place a note in mission brief directing pilots that ord for stukkas is available only at AF Y due to supply issues.  Require the landing and index trigger mentioned above to get a stukka with ord in AF list.  Your dserver will need 'lock loadout' checked for this to work.

Heck you can even get fancy and have the complex trigger activate a truck and drive it near the parked Stukka triggering it's own tiny CZ when it reaches it's destination next to the plane. That CZ then triggers the index change and subtitle about leaving the plane so they can arm it with ord and refuel it.

Fun times!

Amazing suggestion, now just need the time to experiment (back to the mad lab!~just need to wait for a lightning storm.). Side note: The fact that the dserver improved so much in one swoop is quite interesting.