If you are from the Il-2 Crowd...

exhausted

BTW, which beta patch did this come in?

It was always there.  People just cound'nt find it because there were so many options.

Search 1c forum if you are interested.

Online the community is active, and you're right about having more AI. ROF can't handle 50 AIs because in this game they actually fly right-side up, follow commands, and have routines. The last time I played CLOD online Wellingtons were attempting inverted loops and snap rolls that would make the Blue Angels jealous. I know that Cliffs of Dover was promising, but that was 5 years ago and it's been painful to see what actually came. Rise of Flight is much more stable, playable, and you're 80 players will not be there long, that's a fact.

Give it a chance tonight, take up an Se5a and see the country side at dawn while you hunt balloons and shoot flares to warn friendlies of approaching doom. Get in a pinch? Pull out your revolver and make that jerry think twice about creeping up on you.

+1

• Upvote 1

I can't stand WWI history or anything about it.  It's just ugly.  Every bit of it.  Sorry if this hurts your feelings guys I am not trying to do so.  But WWI is just so ugly. Everyhing about it really really looks dated.

Yes, because WWII was so flashy and wonderful.  :rolleyes:

"No need to frustrate yourself with CoD anymore".... I find that a bit harsh. We are a lot who are having superb fun with CoD online (as you can see in my later movies). Big fly-together coming up on the 22nd with mass attacks across the Channel on a sumptuous map. And WWII hardware, which to many is what they are particularly interested in.

I have to agree - to say we are all frustrated with CoD is a vast overgeneralization. I'd much rather play CoD any day over RoF. I have played rise of flight, and it's a good game. I also bought many planes during a sale. They are all sitting there unused, because none of the recent flight combat sims has hooked me like CoD. Plus, I've never had the frustration you mention with CoD. Unless you count getting utterly out flown and out gunned by more experienced players, that can be frustrating ;).

Edited by Forged

71st_AH_Hooves

That's about half we get in of the Storm of War campaign every weekend mate.

yes it is Osprey but quit trying to Hijack this thread.

71st_AH_Hooves

I can't stand WWI history or anything about it.  It's just ugly.  Every bit of it.  Sorry if this hurts your feelings guys I am not trying to do so.  But WWI is just so ugly. Everyhing about it really really looks dated.

Than why are you even posting here?  I mean SERIOUSLY DOC.  and its looks dated??  ITS FROM 1917 MAN!!!  Its supposed to look dated lol.

exhausted, first thanks for the invitation.

I have to say that I love RoF-but not WWI. I have every plane but the heavies, and have done a bit of flying in it (JO, career mode, co-op etc) but just cant get into string bags!

If its not packing a DB600 series motor or an Allison, its not for me it would seem.

Have to admit that its rather humerous that the now defunct CoD faithful are here thread-pooping. Irony!

• Upvote 1

Have to admit that its rather humerous that the now defunct CoD faithful are here thread-pooping. Irony!

From what I've seen, the CoD-faithful have put their points forward in a rather nice way. There's been scant little of slamming of RoF as a product.

The main theme of what most of us have said is that while RoF most likely is a good game, it's a game set in a timeframe which holds absolutely no interest for us. As you yourself said it best: If it's not packing a DB600-series or an Allison (you can add Merlin to that as well), it's not interesting.

• Upvote 1

Online the community is active, and you're right about having more AI. ROF can't handle 50 AIs because in this game they actually fly right-side up, follow commands, and have routines. The last time I played CLOD online Wellingtons were attempting inverted loops and snap rolls that would make the Blue Angels jealous. I know that Cliffs of Dover was promising, but that was 5 years ago and it's been painful to see what actually came. Rise of Flight is much more stable, playable, and you're 80 players will not be there long, that's a fact.

Give it a chance tonight, take up an Se5a and see the country side at dawn while you hunt balloons and shoot flares to warn friendlies of approaching doom. Get in a pinch? Pull out your revolver and make that jerry think twice about creeping up on you.

The revolver is for me to shoot myself when my kite is on fire.

From what I've seen, the CoD-faithful have put their points forward in a rather nice way. There's been scant little of slamming of RoF as a product.

The main theme of what most of us have said is that while RoF most likely is a good game, it's a game set in a timeframe which holds absolutely no interest for us. As you yourself said it best: If it's not packing a DB600-series or an Allison (you can add Merlin to that as well), it's not interesting.

Well put!

Slipstream2020

I'm lucky in that I enjoy both WW1 and WW2 air combat, so both RoF and il2 work for me. Hopefully more people can get into both aspects, but at the end of the day its up to them, and thats how it should be.

I used to love WWI air combat, especially in old Amiga-games like Wings (not really a sim) and Knights of the Sky. But once I found games like EAW, MSCF2/3 and IL2 all those years ago, WWI was put by the wayside.

I will, however, give RoF another shot over the holidays to see if it's something that I find interesting enough to warrant picking it up. Much depends on the Online-portion of the game, since that's where I normally reside.

Guys! 

This forum isnt about Rise of Flight.  Its about IL2. 

For some reason the Rise of Flight crowd seem to think that IL2 is some how dead and buried and they have won something?  They also seem to think everyone who plays Cliffs of Dover is going to drop it and run over to Rise of Flight with open arms...  Its really wierd.

Edited by 5JG27Farber
  • Upvote 1

Indeed. I find it a bit wierd why the 'defunkt COD lot' would be questioned for being 'now over here' on a forum named "IL2 Sturmovik' ? !   Frankly I'm wondering what all of the 'ROF lot' are doing here slagging off COD still, same thing as some of them did on banana for 2 years.  Christ this is like moving in with your Mother-in-Law.  What a welcoming bunch

Edited by Osprey
  • Upvote 2

Indeed. I find it a bit wierd why the 'defunkt COD lot' would be questioned for being 'now over here' on a forum named "IL2 Sturmovik' ? !   Frankly I'm wondering what all of the 'ROF lot' are doing here slagging off COD still, same thing as some of them did on banana for 2 years.  Christ this is like moving in with your Mother-in-Law.  What a welcoming bunch

Eh, no need to be hard on them. Many of them probably feel that those of us that come from COD are trying to play ball in their ballpark, and thus get a bit hostile.

Besides. I love my mother in law (not really). It's the daughter I can't stand (at times) :ph34r:

Well, it's 2 years away, so many things can happen. Besides, if the product works great and is fun to fly, I'll accept a lower graphics-quality than what we had in CoD. It all depends how it turns out.

Sorry to blow in and spoil your fun but we're here because we were invited by Jason. Simple as that. It wasn't a raid. But more importantly, we also have a vested interest in how the BoS project affects RoF's future development. So we'll be sticking around thanks. :)

So we'll be sticking around thanks. :)

Which is good, since both groups want a quality product. We may come from two very different places, but we all want the same thing.

Can't you guys stop that territorial jousting? Good lord ... are you adults or little kids squabbling over who's getting the best corner of the sandbox?

• Upvote 3

Hi there,

just wanted to say: Hello! B)

I am one from the IL-2 Crowd. ;)

Since the early 80's I did flew pretty much everything before it vanished.

I did try RoF as well. And then - I benefited from this 50% off sales a couples of days ago and bought nearly the lot.

I do enjoy RoF very much though. You guys made a very good job! S!

Just to imagine with what and how they flew in the days - gives me goosepimples.

And even without the winter outside.

If "Battle of Stalingrad" is similar, I'll give it a try and chance as well.

CLoD is very nice but still crashing on my rig, and that makes it grudgingly playable.

So guys, Gentlemen - I truly wish you luck and success with your work! :)

Blood, sweat and tears!  ;)

Hals- und Beinbruch!

Sine Timore

We play R0F on occasion.

The aerial combat is good, but the let down is the lack of really satisfying ground attack scearios.  Our squad when in the IL2 world was primarily interested in ground attack.  With the rather sparse ground units in RoF it is a bit limiting for us.  Not that it isn't fun, it is, but we are concerned about how this will translate to the East Front in WW2, where ground attack was the primary purpose of the air assets of both sides.

Dunno when you last played ROF but my view is that the engine has been gradually improving since its early days. Hopefully it will keep improving to a state where it can give you the features that you want.

I'm looking forward to a sim that will bring the best things the RoF team can offer as well as the best bits the 1c Cliffs teams can offer.

We last played on Saturday.  I have purchased every aircraft, and have the Felixstow on pre order...

Please understand I am not trashing RoF, it is what it is, a game that started with one engine, then switched to another, under new management...

...oh, wait.

My concern is for the development of Battle of Stalingrad and future sequels.  WW2 air power usage is a far cry from what played out in WW1.  My hope is that the ground attack aspects of the new sim are properly addressed.  Large numbers of moving and static vehicles in combat with like numbers on the opposing side, with the ability for large numbers of virtual pilots to participate online is a must have.

The air war of WW1 is a sideshow compared to what must be portrayed in a WW2 sim.

I know I'm not the only "old timer" from IL2 that feels this way, though I may be the only one expressing the concern.

We are in a brave and uncharted world for WW2 flight simulation enthusiasts, and like all new worlds, there is much uncertainty about what is out there.

Jason used to fly in the original IL2, he should understand this issue.

• Upvote 3

Good post and fair points.

I would say that if the best of the 777 team and the best of the Cliffs Of Dover team cant give us a decent WW2 sim, then no one can.

It may  take a bit of time to get there though (I thought RoF wasn't that great for the first few months of its existence ) but I'm very confident they will produce the goods in the long run.

Edited by LeazesNDR

The original posters intention seemed to be to invite WW2 people to check out RoF, not any gloating about state of CloD . As the design philosophy, design team and engine are carried over, Battle of Stalingrad will be a common sequel / offshoot of both IL2 and RoF titles (the fact that WW2 was a sequel to WW1 also helps here). So, the revelant message is - come to see our playground, it will tell you some things you don't know yet about upcoming common offspring. If you find it to your liking, it's even better.

While IL-2 fans made well their point - that diminishing "their" game is pointless, especially by those who know it by exaggerated internet reputation - you in turn should remember that not everybody here must be for CloD sequel, or even new IL-2 title. Some RoF players have been hoping that 777 will make a  WW2 sim for long time. To them, the important part is that game they've been rooting is coming, not that it will also happen to be next Il-2 game. It's also a valid point. The "Welcome aboard the 777 sims, come for closer look" message, even if poorly delivered, has a point.

Personally, I was planning to buy both next IL-2 game and hypothetical WW2 game by 777, so having two at price of one - hopefully the best of both worlds - is only good news.

The playgrounds are going to merge, trashing them is completely pointless. The coming game, Stalingrad or not, could as well be called

IL-2 Sturmovik: The Second Great Air War :P . Let's not start with premise that only one half is good rather than learning good points of other half.

Edited by Trupobaw

WWII sims are a bit richer in pickings than WWI sims, with IL2 still quite popular  and CloD very much being a working alternative for WWII simmers....so BoS will have to cope with a much more critical audience than RoF because RoF simmers really don't have anywhere else to go.

So a couple of things RoF got away with, BoS most certainly will not.

You can discuss which conflict has more need for ground objects in a flightsim, WWI with its massive static ground war or WWII which was much more dynamic........but the old 1C is well familiar with WWII, and for 777, WWI was just an excursion from their natural comfort zone, which is definitely also WWII (hey almost had to learn about the first air war from the ground up for ROF). So I'm sure the new team recognises the hurdles in the DN engine that need to be overcome for a convincing BoS.

The team must realise that, and see that just adding WWII planes to ROF won't cut it. I'm sure they understand, although the announced deadline could make you think otherwise: they plan to take about as much time developing BoS, as they did to create a new ROF map and waterplane-physics. Of course, the team is a lot bigger now....and I have a feeling they started work a bit before we got to know about it.

yeck, nevermind.

If you don't like ROF because you've tried it and don't like WWI, then big deal, my feelings aren't hurt. You seem sure that you don't like it, so its no mystery to you, but for those who still haven't.... refer to this http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/index.php?showtopic=90#entry600 http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/index.php?showtopic=90#entry600

Look man. Some of us, Il-2 players, have been playing, and enjoying rof from the start. Many flew it longer than you, many probabily boght more content then you did. Your original post came out as patronising and arrogant. COD may not run as well on older pcs than rof, but in many way is superior to rof, just like rof is better in other areas. Why don't grow over my game is better than your game and play and enjoy both? You may learn a thing or two.

You have the exact attitude that many il2 players had when rof was released. This kind of hatered towards games you don't play almost killed rof and killed il-2.

There was plenty room for both in the future. I wish you could see this.

• Upvote 3

Hatred? Did you actually read what you quoted? What hatred??

CloD is deficient compared to the previous Il-2 titles for 2 very simple reasons: no dynamic campaign (present since FB in 2003), and in fact a very anemic SP experience, and a horribly busted coop mode that Luthier mentioned might have been fixed in the sequel.

Of course, seeing as far too many CloD players care ONLY about dogfight online, as if it's the only thing that matters, there is this far too accepting view of what CloD actually has.

Sorry, I was not willing to give up SP and coop for a handful of planes with clickable cockpits and some pretty effects. I was very letdown by what CloD was at the final patch (no point going over it before that) because what I wanted i.e. Il-2 but better was not what I had. I didn't want to lose a single feature of Il-2: 46. Sure there were fewer planes and maps, that's fine, but not losing whole gameplay modes!

I've been replaying Thief, the original, done in DX6 (let alone 11!) in 1998, and enjoying it despite what can only be called antiquated visuals. That's because the game is good despite the way it looks. Yet too many here seem to say "It must have fancy CEM! It must have DX11 next-gen jaw-dropping effects! It must have a clickable cockpit! It must have a super-duper scripted mission builder! It must have the most realistic FMs ever made!"

I see lots and lots of "if this doesn't have *insert feature THAT user thinks is soooooooo important* then I'm not getting it, it will fail, blah blah blah" (of course totally ignoring the fact that as I mentioned CloD already had stripped out things standard in very previous Il-2 release since FB) and pretty much zero understanding that true combat flight simulators on the PC is a niche within a niche within a niche. MS Flight failed (for good reason) and that was MS itself behind it. You think 1C and 777 have that kind of money?

• Upvote 1

Look man. Some of us, Il-2 players, have been playing, and enjoying rof from the start. Many flew it longer than you, many probabily boght more content then you did. Your original post came out as patronising and arrogant. COD may not run as well on older pcs than rof, but in many way is superior to rof, just like rof is better in other areas. Why don't grow over my game is better than your game and play and enjoy both? You may learn a thing or two. You have the exact attitude that many il2 players had when rof was released. This kind of hatered towards games you don't play almost killed rof and killed il-2. There was plenty room for both in the future. I wish you could see this.

+1

WWII sims are a bit richer in pickings than WWI sims, with IL2 still quite popular  and CloD very much being a working alternative for WWII simmers....so BoS will have to cope with a much more critical audience than RoF because RoF simmers really don't have anywhere else to go.

So a couple of things RoF got away with, BoS most certainly will not.

You can discuss which conflict has more need for ground objects in a flightsim, WWI with its massive static ground war or WWII which was much more dynamic........but the old 1C is well familiar with WWII, and for 777, WWI was just an excursion from their natural comfort zone, which is definitely also WWII (hey almost had to learn about the first air war from the ground up for ROF). So I'm sure the new team recognises the hurdles in the DN engine that need to be overcome for a convincing BoS.

The team must realise that, and see that just adding WWII planes to ROF won't cut it. I'm sure they understand, although the announced deadline could make you think otherwise: they plan to take about as much time developing BoS, as they did to create a new ROF map and waterplane-physics. Of course, the team is a lot bigger now....and I have a feeling they started work a bit before we got to know about it.

+1

All the eggs are in one basket now.  Lets not fight about it because the only eggs that will be broken are RoF and IL2 ones!

Edited by 5JG27Farber

Hatred? Did you actually read what you quoted? What hatred??

CloD is deficient compared to the previous Il-2 titles for 2 very simple reasons: no dynamic campaign (present since FB in 2003), and in fact a very anemic SP experience, and a horribly busted coop mode that Luthier mentioned might have been fixed in the sequel.

Of course, seeing as far too many CloD players care ONLY about dogfight online, as if it's the only thing that matters, there is this far too accepting view of what CloD actually has.

Sorry, I was not willing to give up SP and coop for a handful of planes with clickable cockpits and some pretty effects. I was very letdown by what CloD was at the final patch (no point going over it before that) because what I wanted i.e. Il-2 but better was not what I had. I didn't want to lose a single feature of Il-2: 46. Sure there were fewer planes and maps, that's fine, but not losing whole gameplay modes!

snip . . .

It is obvious that you are an offline player and prefer to fly in simple mode (from your previous posts). You weight your entire discussion on your limited experience online and then attack COD because it doesn't meet your standards for offline play. Agreed, no dynamic campaign - a must for offline play for me as well.

But, I have to say that you have completely missed the online value by a very large margin. At least you have emphasized only clickable cockpits and pretty effects as your main approach to online. That comment alone demonstrates you are not completely aware of the vast online battles by dedicated squadrons, the nuances of being there, the minute settings to get all you can out of the aircraft, the pitting of skill and aircraft differences in a duel of flights. Online is not just dogfighting. There are scenarios to win a map, trigger points for events, bombers en-mass both AI and human trying to achieve targets and win points for either Red or Blue. And, squadrons, yes squadrons of flight enthusiasts forming up to play a part in the events and trying to get a feel for the real thing.

Regrettably for you, your preferred skillset is not available in the main servers as those that appreciate the online experience fly full real and work with other pilots in tactics and joint ventures.

So please, don't insinuate that online players are only attracted by those attributes that you denigrate so easily. Those are features that are just elements of the larger whole. Measuring others by your standards (which appear to be limited and angry) will get you into a whole lot of dialogue in these forums.

Step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

• Upvote 2

I've played many serious combat flight sims since the early days of PCs and never found one I couldn't enjoy at some level. My preference has always been for WWII planes but Rowan Software's "Flying Corps" got me interested in WWI. The closeness of mortal combat and the immediacy of it all got to me. I don't remember if was "Red Baron" or "Flying Corps" where the pilot of burning plane would scream and jump out. but it was gripping.

It took me a long time to convince myself that the hefty "Rise of Flight" download and business model was something I would find entertaining, but it was only after a few days I bought the Demo ICE upgrade. So far I've spent about $60.00 on various planes and upgrades and am really enjoying it. Because of my interest in this sim I've also started learning about the history of WWI which up to this point had not interested my much.

My point is that you get out of a quality game whatever you put into it. A bad one will return little no matter how much interest you have. Rise of Flight is quality stuff and will give you hundreds if not thousands of hours of flying entertainment in the future particularly if the community and developers stick with it.

I'm excited that we are going to (finally) get a full featured WWII sim with career, campaigns, promotions and awards as in Rise of Flight. The theater is not as important. The possibility of expansions and add on content is very appealing and I'll support that as much as I can. 

ATAG_Slipstream

I'm sorry, but if I'd wanted to see advertisements, I would have joined a news group or one of those spamming forums.

If your from the IL-2 community then it should be pretty obvious that we know what is going down. Even so, a little time for us to settle in would be appreciated before someone starts throwing  blatant advertisement in our faces, I'm not a cash cow, and it looks bad on the business. If I want ROF, I know where the forum is, just like I knew we were moving here.

Regards

Edited by ATAG_Slipstream

Guys

The word "Try" in the thread title is not an imperative, but a suggestion. The comments about RoF's or CoD's good points are from guys (like you) who are keen to share something they think is really good with other like-minded people.

ATAG_Old_Canuck
I'm sorry, but if I'd wanted to see advertisements, I would have joined a news group or one of those spamming forums.

If your from the IL-2 community then it should be pretty obvious that we know what is going down. Even so, a little time for us to settle in would be appreciated before someone starts throwing  blatant advertisement in our faces, I'm not a cash cow, and it looks bad on the business. If I want ROF, I know where the forum is, just like I knew we were moving here.

Regards

+1. BTW, I've had ROF on my drive since release and bought most of the updates but haven't flown it much. Maybe when I get older and need a slower paced sim :-). Any new news on development of Pacific Theatre yet? Just asking.

ATAG_Old_Canuck
Maybe when i get older and need a slower paced sim?

Was wondering if anyone would catch that. Not intending to make waves either. ROF is a fine sim - just haven't got around to giving it the time it needs. Our beloved gaming genre is marginal enough already without me discouraging the efforts of those who are trying to bring more to us. Personal opinion. 'Nuff said.

71st_AH_Hooves
+1. BTW, I've had ROF on my drive since release and bought most of the updates but haven't flown it much. Maybe when I get older and need a slower paced sim :-). Any new news on development of Pacific Theatre yet? Just asking.

You may wanna try MP again. There is some serious furball action at the merge that rivals any fights ive been in playing Cliffs. In fact i would say pilot skill is much more important. I woukd say while the planes are half as fast the action is twice as abundant. But im sure BoS will once again stretch out the fight again due to speeds of the aircraft.

The original posters intention seemed to be to invite WW2 people to check out RoF, not any gloating about state of CloD .

"Give Rise of Flight a try and join us online! No need to frustrate yourself with Cliffs of Dover anymore."

I disagree with you.

• Upvote 1

FlaviusNavius

Yeah, the first post seems a little insulting to Cliffs. Even though I agree people definitely should try Rise of Flight  ;)  (and Cliffs of Dover).