If you are from the Il-2 Crowd...

exhausted

logo.png

Give Rise of Flight a try and join us online! No need to frustrate yourself with Cliffs of Dover anymore.

Download the software and start playing with the SPAD 13 and Albatros D.Va for free!

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

cockpit.pngtop.png

cockpit.pngtop.png

Get the manual!

http://www.riseofflightdemo2.com/ROF_Manual/ROF_Manual_English_1026b_Rev1.zip

Then, buy a few birds to help support the development of Battle of Stalingrad!

http://riseofflight.com/en/store

Consult this thread to help you find the essentials -  purchases of two or more give you discounts between 20-45%!

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26651&hilit=plane+guide

I hope to see you online!

Edited by exhausted
  • Upvote 1

Try New Wings and Syndicate!

Players go 60+ on each at peak. With Il-2 guys coming on over, double or triple that!

Edited by exhausted

What does the online part look like by now?

2012_9_28__4_20_42-1.png

Syndicate server - 'full real'. Sopwith Triplanes and Albatros D.IIIs  playing bite the tail, and showing why they called it dogfighting. And yes, we do collide with each other rather often in these close dogfights - which is of course entirely historically correct, if darned annoying. Not like that all the time of course - you can spend an hour cruising the skies at 4000 m in a Fokker D.VII and never see a thing, until a Spad pounces on you from 4500m, and perforates something essential. Even more annoying. 

If you want to know what it is like online, try it. The Syn server might be a little intimidating for noobs, but New Wings offers an easier alternative for those unwilling to re-enact history by living for twenty minutes...  ;)

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Upvote 2

Players go 30+ on each at peak. With Il-2 guys coming on over, double or triple that!

Um, 70+ on the Syn server regularly on a Sunday - which is currently about the limit, though due more to server hardware than intrinsic RoF limitations apparently.  

Pups? Ahem, I'm sure I see Tripes!

Er, yes, two wings good, three wings better - I can tell the difference. I meant Fokker D,VII not D.VIII too, though either would be possible. Corrected...

Now don't you Rise of Flight blokes get all uppity now, will you please? :D

There are plenty of us who play rise of flight frequently, and enjoy it immensely. I will not say on which server.......... :o

There is room on our hard drives for all current flight sims, and all we should play. It's just that each of us has their own favourite 'wicker chair'. Don't you agree Andy J.? :)

• Upvote 1

We play R0F on occasion.

The aerial combat is good, but the let down is the lack of really satisfying ground attack scearios.  Our squad when in the IL2 world was primarily interested in ground attack.  With the rather sparse ground units in RoF it is a bit limiting for us.  Not that it isn't fun, it is, but we are concerned about how this will translate to the East Front in WW2, where ground attack was the primary purpose of the air assets of both sides.

• Upvote 2

Yeah - I'm not saying 'RoF is best' - I'm saying that 'RoF is fun, for those that like that sort of thing' - and you won't know whether you like it until you try it. You get an Alb and a Spad for the price of exactly zilch, and even without discounts, or the frequent sales, you can seat yourself in the wicker chair of the most beautiful triplane ever to grace the skies, manufactured only a couple of miles from where I live, for only $7.62. And while we are on the subject, time for a little war poetry (WWI pilots went in for that sort of thing...):

Tom Sopwith and the carpenters (with apologies to Lewis Carroll)

"The time has come", Tom Sopwith said,
"To talk of many things:
Of ribs and struts and bracing wires,
And planes with triple wings.
To twist and turn, and loop and climb
and run around in rings".

"A rotary is what we need,
behind, a Vickers gun:
two wheels, a prop,
And suchlike 'till it's done.
We'll send it up into the clouds
To perforate the Hun".

Tom Sopwith set his men to work,
upon his new contraption
They hammered, sawed and glued and screwed
till driven to distraction,
then broke for tea, and biscuits (three!),
continued with the lamps on.

All through the night (the Moon was bright)
They worked on Tom's invention
Of canvas, wood, of cloth and dope
And wires all tight with tension
assembled all from wheels to tail 
And then they fixed the wings on.

The pilot sat inside the Tripe
behind the Vickers gun
they spun the prop, and off he shot
to climb up to the sun
to turn and loop, and wheel about
and perforate the Hun.

The German in his Albatross
was clueless what was coming
The triplane pounced, then wheeled right round
and went on with its gunning
The Huns below, all saw the show,
Astonished at such cunning.

So off they went, all giving vent,
to see their best constuctor
With gutteral curse, and language worse,
they barked out urgent order
To build and fly, as their reply
A triple-winged destructor.

"Tis time", Anthony Fokker said
"To talk of many things
Of ribs and struts (no bracing wires!)
And planes with triple wings.
To twist and turn, and loop and climb
and run around in rings..."

?

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Upvote 1

ShamrockOneFive

Thinking about checking it out. The free to get into it is appealing but I'm wondering if there is an all in one content pass that gets me every plane and accessory if I really want to jump in whole hog. I can see potentially spending a lot more than just $60-100 if you want everything.

Icefire, I'd recommend checking out the discounts for bulk buying - and maybe think about waiting for the next sale if you really want to lash out.There really isn't any need to buy the lot right away (or ever, though I must admit I have) - they are all there as AI, and it takes a fair bit of time to get to understand the quirks of each. Experiment a bit with the Alb (a nice all-rounder, though lacking grunt) and the Spad (zoom-n-boom - then run away, unless you are in a mob), and then decide what rocks your boat. Early war? The Eindecker is um, interesting, and boasts the best all-round view for the next 50 years or so, though it lacks such refinements as a throttle, while its opponent the pusher-engined D.H.2 is perfect for scanning the skies ahead, while the Eindecker sneaks up behind. Or something more modern? P.47 and Fw-190 pilots will probably appreciate the Fokker D.VIIF, (not the earlier D.VII - lacks oomph) whereas P-51 fans may prefer the Spads - and can even get to use the balloon guns: 2 x .45 cal, and probably capable of turning a WWI tank upside down ;)  - and this one come free. Or for classic turn fights, the Dr.1 and Sopwith Camel - not that I can dogfight with them, too frisky for a man of my advanced years...

Edited by AndyJWest

I bought ROF at release since then have added a number of planes to my hanger. Though have been using COD almost exclusively since it's release. With a year or more until Bos release there will be plenty of time revisit ROF.

One thing that will be interesting is comparing the COD environment with  the Channel map currently in development for ROF. Interesting times ahead.

II./JG27_Rich

I'm an IL-2 flyer since August 2001. Old demo days with a custom skin that you can still download at IL-2 skins.

post-187-0-08623100-1355294277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richie

One thing that will be interesting is comparing the COD environment with  the Channel map currently in development for ROF. Interesting times ahead.

Yes very much so.  This should happen in the next few weeks and  I guess and it will fuel plenty of speculation about the BoS maps.

I'm hoping the 777 Channel will be gorgeous, even if Dx9.

My problem with RoF is that WWI is completely and utterly uninteresting in comparison to WWII, and that I'm a 109-pilot at heart (it's the only machine I flew, even from the first IL2-game all those years ago). I'll have a look at RoF, however, but I'm not a fan of the business-model of it.

• Upvote 1

Got it as a beta then full version, I have tried to get 'into it', but to be honest it bores me stupid.

Aircraft models/graphics are awesome, but everything else (for me anyway) is lacking something.

"No need to frustrate yourself with CoD anymore".... I find that a bit harsh. We are a lot who are having superb fun with CoD online (as you can see in my later movies). Big fly-together coming up on the 22nd with mass attacks across the Channel on a sumptuous map. And WWII hardware, which to many is what they are particularly interested in.

• Upvote 2

"No need to frustrate yourself with CoD anymore".... I find that a bit harsh. We are a lot who are having superb fun with CoD online (as you can see in my later movies). Big fly-together coming up on the 22nd with mass attacks across the Channel on a sumptuous map. And WWII hardware, which to many is what they are particularly interested in.

Agreed.

If you try RoF but did not fly latest CloD patch make sure you run it after RoF to see what difference a more modern DX10 engine makes compared to DX9 one in terms of "feeling of flight": photorealism of lighting, shading, ground textures, trees, etc.

I put up a big promotion post for RoF on 1C forums about a year ago but I can not get a feeling of flight from it because of its cartoonish artwork style. (This word came to me first when I flied RoF and then I saw it on forums many times). CloD artwork style is more photo-realistic when I compare it to my IRL experience (e.g.final airfield approach). I do not know if the reason is DX10 or Oleg's photography hobby. Cartoonish artwork could be good for an arcade but it takes away immersion from a simulator (if you compare it to IRL experience).

DX9 was fine in 2009 but it is just 5 years too old in 2014. Another bad decision by 1C bean-counters which will finish off the genre along with their disagreements with Oleg's plans, vision and passion. Not 777 fault as 777 does not have resources to work on a DX10 engine but 1C has. IMHO of cause.

Edited by Ataros
  • Upvote 1

71st_AH_Hooves

Just re downloaded and had a flight today, BOY do i need to relearn how to fly.  Energy comes at a premium is this sim.  But man when i landed some rounds on my enemies wings and they folded like twigs i nearly jumped out of my seat!  I CANT WAIT FOR WW2 in this engine.

Do wonder why it has to be an either or option,admittedly in its early days COD had me gnawing my own foot off in frustration,but at least its playable now,ROF  worked fine for me from day one,but i still like having both on my HD.

Nice poem Andy btw!

• Upvote 2

Agreed, for me after the last official patch, CLoD runs just fine on my pc and I am having fun with it.

But this announcement has me now intrigued about ROF, so I am going to give it a go as well - I have plenty of HDD storage space, so CLoD will remain on it for quite some time.

Thanks for the links exhausted.

• Upvote 1

Players go 60+ on each at peak. With Il-2 guys coming on over, double or triple that!

That's about half we get in of the Storm of War campaign every weekend mate.

• Upvote 2

Well as someone who really enjoyed flying bombers in IL2, the furball crowd is not really my wave length.

If in time fitting aircraft and targets come around for dedicated bomberpilots, I will be interested.

CoD was unfortunately a waste of money and time. The good quality of IL2 raised the hopes too high

that CoD would be at least just as good.

But if content for the bombers come up I am in again.

Re poetry, thanks Carts. A few more:

The RFC Bomber pilots's lament:

I plied the skies
and peeled my eyes
For feindish Albatrosses,

But lost control
spun in - the hole
is marked with flowers and crosses.

'A new Sopwith'

The Sopwith Dolphin likes to pounce, 
and then to run like heck,

But when time comes to put it down,
it breaks your %&*#@$ neck...

Meanwhile, the other side has poets too -

'The Gotha'

And as I flew above the lines
upon my growling Gotha

The guns below all opened up
and blew my tail off. Bother...

And yes, I know that 'Gotha' doesn't rhyme with 'Bother'. This is what is known as poet's license.  ;)

Er, hang on, what was the thread supposed to be about? Oh, yes. Persuading a few more WW2 simmers to fly something wooden covered in bedsheets. I can't really think of any reason why any serious simmer wouldn't at least try the demo, if only for lessons in energy management. Or lack-of-energy management if you aren't careful. Or lack-of-wings management if you overdo the G forces. Try it - you might even like it.

I can't stand WWI history or anything about it.  It's just ugly.  Every bit of it.  Sorry if this hurts your feelings guys I am not trying to do so.  But WWI is just so ugly. Everyhing about it really really looks dated.

• Upvote 1

My problem with RoF is that WWI is completely and utterly uninteresting in comparison to WWII, and that I'm a 109-pilot at heart (it's the only machine I flew, even from the first IL2-game all those years ago). I'll have a look at RoF, however, but I'm not a fan of the business-model of it.

If all you want is 109s, I would think the ROF model would be great for you! Imagine just paying for those 109s and not spending a penny on the planes you never fly.

As someone who flies everything a little bit, it costs me a bit more...

However, I will say I'm laughing at the notion that a war 100 years ago is somehow more dated than one that started 80 years ago... Personally, I think anything before Desert Storm is "really old", but that doesn't stop me from flying against MiG-15s over Pyongyang!

Edited by Jedi Master

If all you want is 109s, I would think the ROF model would be great for you! Imagine just paying for those 109s and not spending a penny on the planes you never fly.

As someone who flies everything a little bit, it costs me a bit more...

My biggest concern is that those that prefer the older-model aircraft (In 1946, I fly the ME109 F2 and F4 almost exclusively) to the newer ones will be left at a serious disadvantage because of the economics involved. Or to put it into an MMO-type of phrasing: I dislike things that looks like they could be Pay-to-Win scenarios, or when FOTM (Flavor Of The Month) is the name of the game.

Again, though, my biggest concern with RoF is that it's WWI, which is completely uninteresting to me.

Well, I wouldn't know since I never fly against other humans online. It doesn't interest me at all. If someone set up a server so all planes were available regardless of year, rarity, and theater, I would think that person was stupid.

In real missions, the planes available should be based on history. I don't want to see 100 Corsairs when I'm intercepting B-17s over Belgium. I don't want a late war Zero attacking P-51Ds over the Pearl Harbor attack.

Give Rise of Flight a try and join us online! No need to frustrate yourself with Cliffs of Dover anymore.

I hope to see you online!

I bought RoF when it first came out, before it was F2P.  I just wasnt interested in WWI.  Dont think because we play IL2 we didnt try RoF. 

I really like what cliffs of Dover has become.  Its really good now, clashing online with 80 players and 50 AI is great.  Thats what really scares me, that currently RoF cant do that...

RoF is a step backward from what we have in the current IL2.

Edited by 5JG27Farber
  • Upvote 1

I bought RoF when it first came out, before it was F2P.  I just wasnt interested in WWI.  Dont think because we play IL2 we didnt try RoF. 

I really like what cliffs of Dover has become.  Its really good now, clashing online with 80 players and 50 AI is great.  Thats what really scares me, that currently RoF cant do that...

RoF is a step backward from what we have in the current IL2.

Online the community is active, and you're right about having more AI. ROF can't handle 50 AIs because in this game they actually fly right-side up, follow commands, and have routines. The last time I played CLOD online Wellingtons were attempting inverted loops and snap rolls that would make the Blue Angels jealous. I know that Cliffs of Dover was promising, but that was 5 years ago and it's been painful to see what actually came. Rise of Flight is much more stable, playable, and you're 80 players will not be there long, that's a fact.

Give it a chance tonight, take up an Se5a and see the country side at dawn while you hunt balloons and shoot flares to warn friendlies of approaching doom. Get in a pinch? Pull out your revolver and make that jerry think twice about creeping up on you.

Edited by exhausted

Online the community is active, and you're right about having more AI. ROF can't handle 50 AIs because in this game they actually fly right-side up, follow commands, and have routines. The last time I played CLOD online Wellingtons were attempting inverted loops and snap rolls that would make the Blue Angels jealous. I know that Cliffs of Dover was promising, but that was 5 years ago and it's been painful to see what actually came. Rise of Flight is much more stable, playable, and you're 80 players will not be there long, that's a fact.

Give it a chance tonight, take up an Se5a and see the country side at dawn while you hunt balloons and shoot flares to warn friendlies of approaching doom. Get in a pinch? Pull out your revolver and make that jerry think twice about creeping up on you.

AI behavior is not so questionable anymore.  Skill slider settings were hidden away in the complex FMB (Full Mission Builder) which can improve things.

Why will the 80 players not be there for long? Why is that fact?  Our campaign is great and people really enjoy it, especially the immersion of large scale raids by AI bombers with human players intercepting and protecting them.  No mention of AI bombers flying upside down or doing snap rolls in our campaign feed back thread.

I dont want to give it a chance I already have... I am not interested in WWI.  Thanks for the invite but we dont need the pushy invitation.

Edited by 5JG27Farber
  • Upvote 3

+1 Farber,  I don't understand why exhausted thinks we're suddenly going to be interested in WW1,  and where he get's those ideas about the COD behaviour from,  which are completely wrong.  This continuous rumour spreading has been one of the major problems the COD faced unfortunately.  Most unpleasant.

• Upvote 3

yeck, nevermind.

If you don't like ROF because you've tried it and don't like WWI, then big deal, my feelings aren't hurt. You seem sure that you don't like it, so its no mystery to you, but for those who still haven't.... refer to this http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/index.php?showtopic=90&do=findComment&comment=600 http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/index.php?showtopic=90&do=findComment&comment=600

Edited by exhausted

BTW, which beta patch did this come in?

AI behavior is not so questionable anymore.  Skill slider settings were hidden away in the complex FMB (Full Mission Builder) which can improve things.