Developer Diary 291 - Discussion

Han

• 1CGS
2 minutes ago, Han said:
Dear Friends,

This Dev blog is a bit unusual - I wanted to illustrate how the virtual world created by our team is not just a place to show nice-looking aircraft and vehicles, but it comes really close to real world experiences and situations (which is the ultimate goal of any sim).

On the actual development front, our modeling partner Ivan is working hard on the IAR-80/81 and it’s beginning to take shape nicely. When we see the cockpit starting to take shape, we will offer it up for Pre-Order. This plane promises to be very interesting.

We're happy to report a good progress on the Normandy project. The most of the buldings anf ground vehicles are ready and the work on the sea objects is going at full head flank speed - today we can show you a couple of screenshots straight from 3D editor screen. This is WIP model of a Gleaves class destroyer that participated in the invasion

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 3

• Han pinned this topic
Missionbug

Great to know some of you guys do actually find time in the sim and Jason lets you out the office once in a while.;)

The IAR-80/81 is coming along nicely, congratulations to the modeller on work so far, really looking forward to having this available to fly.:drinks:

Good to know plenty of attention is being given to the Normandy objects, they add so much too the immersion making the environment a little

busier than it would be with just the aircraft.

Thank you very much to all involved, really appreciated.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

[F.Circus]FrangibleCover

Any information yet on which versions of the IAR we're getting? I have been assuming only 80A/81A suitable for Stalingrad, but I think we could plausibly see everything from the bone stock IAR 80 to the long wing 81C and late model 80M.

• Upvote 1

ZachariasX

I liked that story. IL-2 for sure is good for some remarkable experiences. And nice to see how the rest of the content is coming along!

We have player manned aircraft, armor, AA trucks and halftracks. Player destroyer ?  Nice to fantasize anyway ! 
Keep up the great work ! 

• Upvote 1

Great to hear you are getting some rec time in sim and not just burning the midnight all.

Great combat report.

SCG_motoadve

Nice write up!

Now that you mention radiator hits, they seem quite forgiving in IL2, most of the time you can fly for long time trailing vapor from a radiator hit, easily making it back to base, no matter if its a 109 or Yak, so in game,  when having a vapor trail does not become that much of a danger other than you are easily spotted in MP.

Would be nice if more tests and studies are given to this matter to see if it can be made more realistic. (there are  anecdotes of 109s not making it across the channel while having a vapor trail from a radiator hits during Battle of Britain)

Glad to see you guys having some fun , IL2 can be very immersive.

• Upvote 8

Jade_Monkey

Glad to hear about the progress on the BON assets, it seems like it's going to be the most fleshed out of all modules with tons of ground and naval units. Really excited to see how it all comes together in the end.

IAR is also really interesting! I noticed there is not tail wheel, just a little retractable "ski". I love learning those quirks that make each plane unique.

Jaws2002

Nice writeup! Yak-9T is beautiful and very satisfying plane to fly. 🥰

The IAR is coming up beautifully. It looks so sexy with those slick and slender lines. 😍  It looks faster than it was. 🤣

Specific types can now be identified.  This one looks like IAR-80A with six small caliber guns, early supercharger intake, without the filter and single oil cooler.  

Very well modelled the cowl flaps. :good: They are slightly different from other radial engine fighters, like P-47 or US Navy fighters.  You can see the cowl flaps, even when fully open, maintain a continuous skirt around the engine, without gaps. Very well modelled. 

Awesome! Thank you!

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 4

ACG_Talisman

Great to hear of you enjoying your own creations :)  Brilliant!

Happy landings,

Talisman

The ships for BoN look fantastic! I bet their anti-aircraft guns are player controllable, as well as the ship for evasive maneuvers. 

• Confused 2

Good story :good:

Love the idea of an IAR-80, looking forward to this one a lot, plus a real DD, what more could anyone ask for ;) 

I suppose @Asgarwould like 410 WIP shot's

Spoiler

1481038846_410VIP.thumb.jpg.911983009c898ff938466a3368ba1527.jpg

Here's 410 shot, VIP not WIP, but better than nothing.

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Enceladus

Wow, a destroyer without a command structure, who would have thought 😆

image.jpeg.c2df3fc24f81cc51c66351371e6b6139.jpeg

• Haha 3

II/JG17_HerrMurf
1 hour ago, Mm1ut1 said:

We have player manned aircraft, armor, AA trucks and halftracks. Player destroyer ?  Nice to fantasize anyway ! 
Keep up the great work ! 

Might be fun to captain one for steering only or man a AAA mount. I don't see much more than that, even in fantasy land.

The highly detailed torpedo launcher looks great. Wouldn't it be the right time to add aerial torpedos to the game? German torpedo bomber units were active over Normandy and some were still using the Ju-88 A4 LT.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

II/JG17_HerrMurf
11 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

Wow, a destroyer without a command structure, who would have thought 😆

image.jpeg.c2df3fc24f81cc51c66351371e6b6139.jpeg

Makes it more aerodynamic. It is, after all, a flight sim and not a naval sim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Zephyr096

Since it looks like you're modeling the torpedoes for ships, any chance we'll get torpedoes for planes?

*also

Really enjoyed the little story, glad to see you guys enjoy the game you work on! Excited to see the destroyers in game, model is coming along nicely. 

Edited by Zephyr096
wanted to edit
  • Upvote 1

Glad you guys got some play time in.

Should join us on Finnish one of these days. It's always a great time. 

I also like the 9T as that 37mm with HE, 

It just about deletes everything it hits with a single shot. 

You fellows should try a sortie in the Mustang.

Edited by Denum
  • Upvote 4

Avimimus

I really liked the observation about pilot recollections and the accuracy of memoires!

"After cutting off the engine and opening the cockpit canopy, the thrill of victory quickly left and a dark feeling of the grave episode of mistaken identity set in – a Willy’s jeep containing the Commissar pulled up."

Driveable jeeps and staff cars confirmed!! :);) I jest... I know they aren't being made. I always thought it'd be fun to have one of the open trucks or a staff car driveable... but I think TC and the anti-aircraft vehicles have raised the bar so high for quality that it is now unlikely we'll ever get an unarmed ground vehicle to explore in.

Thanks for the updates on the IAR 80/81! I was wondering (as Jason hadn't mentioned it). I'm quite excited to see the progress. Is there any news on the planned variants? My assumption after getting advice from Romanians is that the fact that both the IAR-80 and the IAR-81 are mentioned, combined with the variants confirmed to have been at Stalingrad and Kerch, means that there would be versions with the short and long wings, and with and without bomb-racks. It'd be nice to have confirmation if this isn't the case - so that we don't get our hopes up. Honestly, I'd be happy to purchase both an IAR-80 and IAR-81 was separate collector planes.

The detailing on the destroyer is fantastic. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see an Axis destroyer... if it was created - it now has two potential opponents.

Edited by Avimimus

Luftschiff

Partook in an anti shipping strike against a large convoy on Finnish last week, and skimming the waves with AA going off all around us really made me wish I had torpedoes to drop - and lo, here they are. Still not slung under my aircraft but it's progress!

I do remember one flight in Flying Circus when I'd spotted an enemy fighter over the front, and had ID'd it as German. I was coming up on it, getting set up for the right firing position, when it pulled up and I could clearly see the French roundels on it. I was lining up on a friendly Spad XIII! 

There was another time recently when I was in a swirling dogfight with an Albatros and lost sight of it, and when it came back up I raked it, but then couldn't tell if I was looking at an Albatross D.Va or a British SE.5a! I broke off and got a side view. Fortunately it was the Albatross. I just couldn't tell the difference for a moment there. 

On the debrief, that's a hard skill to learn. Over on Ward Carroll's channel, he talked about how I'm Top Gun training, one of the first things you had to do after a sortie was describe everything that happened. And you had to get it right. 

• Like 1

Jaws2002
2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

IAR is also really interesting! I noticed there is not tail wheel, just a little retractable "ski". I love learning those quirks that make each plane unique.

It's not retractable.

BraveSirRobin
30 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

It's not retractable.

Unlike the bridge on the Gleaves class destroyer.

• Haha 7

SCG_FeuerFliegen
4 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Nice write up!

Now that you mention radiator hits, they seem quite forgiving in IL2, most of the time you can fly for long time trailing vapor from a radiator hit, easily making it back to base, no matter if its a 109 or Yak, so in game,  when having a vapor trail does not become that much of a danger other than you are easily spotted in MP.

Would be nice if more tests and studies are given to this matter to see if it can be made more realistic. (there are  anecdotes of 109s not making it across the channel while having a vapor trail from a radiator hits during Battle of Britain)

Glad to see you guys having some fun , IL2 can be very immersive.

I was just thinking the same thing about the radiator hits and rarely causing an engine to fail.  I would also appreciate if it was more realistic.  Although if it was completely realistic, I feel like we'd also need the option to disconnect one of the two radiators in the Bf109, as was the case in real life, as well as any other planes that have similar features in real life.  If I recall correctly, Cliffs of Dover has this feature in the Bf109.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

Partook in an anti shipping strike against a large convoy on Finnish last week, and skimming the waves with AA going off all around us really made me wish I had torpedoes to drop - and lo, here they are. Still not slung under my aircraft but it's progress!

i mean, we've had working torpedos in the game since Battle of Kuban, the German S-100, the Type-7 destoryer of the Soviet navy (and i guess the submarines, but i've never seen them fires torps myself. But i agree, we need some torpedos on planes. 

Edited by Asgar

scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Enjoyed the story, but these thing's happened in war. RAF shot down Blenhiems for Ju-88's, Commando's shot American's and vice versa. They were not pulled from combat but sent back to work. On the plus side you did get two Enemy aircraft!

• Upvote 1

Boomerang

Enjoyed reading the memoir, (Han & Roman). It's good when you can make it home to share the thrill.

Ivan's work on the IAR-80/81 is coming along nicely, looking forward to the experience.

:salute:

Excellent story telling about your combat flight with Roman. I've always enjoyed writing those myself just for fun. It does make the sim experience a little more lifelike. I hope you'll share more in the future.

• Thanks 1

IckyATLAS

I love to see new ships. 

Speaking of immersion and making a world as real as possible, please have the flags waving in the wind according to wind direction and not stay fixed like a piece of cardboard. And you know how to do it as it is done for the flags on the pole, which waves in the wind and according to the wind direction. The code is already there.

Upgrading all the ships flags in the sim with the release of BON would be a nice cherry and in coherence with your views.

• Upvote 3

616Sqn_Johnny-Red
1 hour ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I was just thinking the same thing about the radiator hits and rarely causing an engine to fail.  I would also appreciate if it was more realistic.  Although if it was completely realistic, I feel like we'd also need the option to disconnect one of the two radiators in the Bf109, as was the case in real life, as well as any other planes that have similar features in real life.  If I recall correctly, Cliffs of Dover has this feature in the Bf109.

@SCG_FeuerFliegen This sounds very cool, but I've never heard of it before: Is it possible you are mistaken?

The only aircraft I know of which could isolate a radiator was the Spitfire IX, and I had assumed that that was for cooling management under normal operating conditions, rather than as an engine survival feature.

Any reccomended reading on the subject would be much appreciated 👍

I./JG1_Baron
1 hour ago, Asgar said:

i mean, we've had working torpedos in the game since Battle of Kuban, the German S-100, the Type-7 destoryer of the Soviet navy (and i guess the submarines, but i've never seen them fires torps myself. But i agree, we need some torpedos on planes. 

Swordfish 😊

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic