24 HOUR FLASH SALE ON TC, FC1 and BOBP!! (Ended)

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

Happy birthday and yay, TC sale!

ShamrockOneFive

I didn't get a chance yesterday but I did want to wish Jason a happy birthday! I'm also excited to bring to everyone a new Q&A with Jason on an upcoming edition of the Stormbirds podcast. Stay tuned for that!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
sevenless
21 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

I'd rather plug a hole in the plane-set somewhere else, unless we had a bigger late-war scenario that could justify this plane. 

Happy belated 48th, young man 🙂

No need to answer, but "the hole" you aim to plug couldn´t by any chance be the left out Ju-87 B-2/R-2, which is sorely missing in Battle of Moscow ? That would be a great collector item.

• Like 1
Danziger

Have a happy birthday, Jason! You and the team are turning this project into something amazing. This thread and all of the useful questions and answers seem more like a present for us than for you. Thank you for that!

15[Span.]/JG51Costa

Happpy Birthday Jason!

And a BIG THANKS for all the effort!!!

Saludos.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa 

Hartsblade
On 4/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, Jason_Williams said:

What was my favorite air combat arcade game in an actual coin-op arcade? Name the title.

Atari Red Baron.

Happy Birthday Jason!

Edited by Hartsblade
Forgot to wish Jason Happy Birthday
Alexmarine
On 4/6/2021 at 3:32 AM, Jason_Williams said:

- Bonus Question: What notable event also happened on April 6th?

To keep it WW2 related: launch of Operation 25 (invasion of Yugoslavia) and Operation Marita (invasion of Greece) by German troops in 1941, this of course with the news of the Italia pilot model coming for the Macchi and the new default Mediterranean skin for the plane confirms without any doubt that the next module will be set in the Mediterranean 😎

• Like 1
[Pb]Bones18

Do you guys plan to switch over to a PBR renderer at some point?   The difference in how materials render is drastic compared to older material rendering methods, and it's much easier for artists to create assets in that environment compared to the old spec, gloss methods.

Since you have to switch all your existing specular assets over, and typically adjust albedo to work with it I understand it's a workload for the art team, but you're also in a situation where you are constantly generating new artwork in an older method that will eventually have to be converted since the industry as a whole is moving in that direction.  So it's a choice of when to bite the bullet.  

How metals render, and the art is created etc. is so drastically different in a PBR renderer compared to the older styles.  The sim is beautiful but when I see metal objects in the cockpit with all the environment and shadow effects burned into them it's always a ugh moment knowing how that could look in a PBR renderer.

Edited by [Pb]Bones18
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Dakpilot

Happy birthday...! 

United States entered WW1 on this day 1917, 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for the birthday wishes and for asking all the questions. And thank you for playing my little trivia game. I have posted the correct answers below, but there is still one question not answered correctly. I will leave this up for a while to see if anyone gets it right. I'm surprised no one said it yet, I might be older than I though! Maybe you guys don't even remember the game!! It's a true classic.

- How old am I today? I gave a hint in a recent DD. 48 years old.

- What was my very first taste of virtual air combat in a video game? Name the title and system. Not answered correctly yet. 

- What was my favorite air combat game on the original Nintendo system? Name the title. Top Gun circa 1987

- What was my favorite air combat arcade game in an actual coin-op arcade? Name the title. Afterburner circa 1990

- What do I consider my first PC combat flight-sim and what kind of computer did I play it on? F-117 Stealth fighter for PC circa 1991

- Bonus Question: What notable event also happened on April 6th? The USA entered WWI by declaring war on Germany. There are other important events obviously in history, but this was what I was looking for.

I will be in touch with the winners about their free content. Some of you have already posted what you'd like. Hang in there while I arrange it.

The sale was also quite popular so thank you to all that bought something. If you missed it there will be a new sale soon I am sure.

:salute:

Jason

• Like 9
sevenless
10 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

- What was my very first taste of virtual air combat in a video game? Name the title and system. Not answered correctly yet. 

I´d say it is Battlehawks 1942 on MS-DOS system. Designed by Lawrence Holland who also later did Their Finest Hour and SWOTL. Game was released 1988 for PC, Amiga and Atari ST.

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
18 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I´d say it is Battlehawks 1942 on MS-DOS system. Designed by Lawrence Holland who also later did Their Finest Hour and SWOTL. Game was released 1988 for PC, Amiga and Atari ST.

It's not a PC game.

Jason

hetstaine

Flight Simulator II on Atari.

Denum

The real question is, did the tables treat him well? 

sevenless
20 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

It's not a PC game.

Jason

Hmm,

in that timeframe I have to guess. F-15 Strike Eagle on Commodore Amiga would also be a valid possibility.

Edited by sevenless
zzzxxxxzzz
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

- What was my very first taste of virtual air combat in a video game? Name the title and system.

River Raid on Atari 2600 (or on Intellivision)

Happy birthday (a little late)

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
42 minutes ago, Denum said:

The real question is, did the tables treat him well? 

Sadly no. I never win. It's just fun to try. I do better at sports betting.

Jason

41 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Hmm,

in that timeframe I have to guess. F-15 Strike Eagle on Commodore Amiga would also be a valid possibility.

It's not on an Amiga or Commodore.

Jason

Ploofy
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

After Burner    SEGA ?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
2 minutes ago, Ploofy said:

After Burner    SEGA ?

No Afterburner was my fave coin-op game as listed above.

First taste...... 

Jason

oc2209
4 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Combat--Atari 2600.

* Yes that's it. Probably the earliest video game to have two planes dogfighting and it was multiplayer! 1V1 on the same screen. You could also battle with tanks. So much fun in 1st and second grade. 

Apologies if this guess was already posted.

Preedee

River Raid - Atari 5200

Edited by Preedee
Graudenzo

Happy Birthday @Jason_Williams!

I'm thinking the first taste was probably airwolf on the Atari? Anyway, hope you had a good one!

Edited by Graudenzo
gx007

P51 on a Mac SE - circa 1989

That's what I had :)

Redwo1f

ACE: Air Combat Emulator, Commodore VIC-20.

guess I should read a little better.

Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator, Atari 2600

Edited by Redwo1f
oc2209

For those just tuning in to the guessing game, we can ascertain the following:

It's NOT a PC or Commodore/Amiga game title.

It must predate 1987, as we're looking for Mr. Williams' earliest flight game experience.

Circa 1980, Mr. Williams would be approximately 7 years old--using my unparalleled Sherlockian deduction skills, this time period is the most likely in which he would be introduced--however superficially and briefly--to gaming. I'm using my own experience here as a guideline: my first hit of digitized sweet lady H was about the age of 5.

Dig deep, people. We must guess this final answer. Failure is not an option.

Hanu

I'm about as same age also, and started with VIC-20 (no sims though), but as Commodore wast out of question... Hmm. My cousin had ZX Spectrum and we played Maze,  Horace goes to.. etc games with it. It was that capable that it could have a decent flight sim... 

So I'll go with Sinclair Spectrum's Fighter Pilot from '83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJ1DdURN54

VBF-12_Pequod

"Combat" then? I was thinking about "Air Riders" also for Atari 2600.

oc2209
5 hours ago, oc2209 said:

Combat--Atari 2600.

* Yes that's it. Probably the earliest video game to have two planes dogfighting and it was multiplayer! 1V1 on the same screen. You could also battle with tanks. So much fun in 1st and second grade.

Hoorah!

The cloud-hiding biplane mechanic is pretty complex for the time period.

I admit this game predates my existence, but with a Wikipedia search I was able to narrow down the likely candidates. I also saw that Combat shipped with the Atari as a package deal, which dramatically increased the probability you'd have played it.

Primus_71
9 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

1942 Pacific Air War for PC?

Edited by Primus_71
Irishratticus72

Project stealth fighter, Commodore 64.

Edited by Irishratticus72
Jaegermeister

Happy Birthday Bro! Hope you had a good day and at least got to look at some cute chicks while you lost your Govt. money.

Edited by Jaegermeister
blitze
On 4/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, JG77_Knipser said:

Happy Birthday @Jason_Williams ! Thank you so much for making this Flight-Sim possible!

+100

Since my foray into Il2 GB series in 2016, it has come a long way with wonderful improvements.  It is truly an underrated piece of software especially with VR of which, the experience is absolutely mind blowing.  

Thanks Jason and the development team for this.

p.s. reading of all the guesses as to the early sim Jason refers to brings back many memories and that of those with my dad on his computer flying early sims. :biggrin: 

Edited by blitze
nostalgia
Boomerang

Happy 48th Birthday Jason, (for the 6th of April). 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:29 AM, Jason_Williams said:

Answer: 

MicroProse: F-19 Stealth Fighter
Atari ST

von_Tom
On 4/8/2021 at 1:29 AM, Jason_Williams said:

1942  (Edit - just seen this was suggested before)

'The game was released to the MSX, NEC PC-8801, FM-7, and Sharp X1. It was released to the Famicom in 1985 in Japan and North America in 1986. The Famicom version was developed by Micronics.

A Game Boy Color version was also released in North America in May 2000 and the PAL region in the year 2001.

The European games publisher Elite Systems later released versions for the Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, and Commodore 64.'

or

1943: Battle of Midway - Nintendo

von Tom

Edited by von_Tom
40plus
On 4/7/2021 at 5:29 PM, Jason_Williams said:

I'll throw in a guess based on my personal earliest memory of a combat flight sim.... "BoB Their Finest Hour", LucasFilm on PC, I was 11.

• Jason_Williams changed the title to 24 HOUR FLASH SALE ON TC, FC1 and BOBP!! (Ended)
  • Jason_Williams locked and unpinned this topic