24 HOUR FLASH SALE ON TC, FC1 and BOBP!! (Ended)

Favorite coin operated game:

Back in the day there was a coin operated video game called (I think) Red Baron.  German triplanes and albatross would pop up in front of you bobbing and weaving and you had to get them in your sights and shoot them down.  I'm going with that one although I also suspect it predates you by some years.

Younger than me.

First flight sim combat:

MS Flight simulator with the Sopwith Camel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Barnacles said:

Happy Birthday Jason!

Would you ever consider it feasible to do carrier ops in a Med./ N. Atlantic scenario? 

• Upvote 6

Will the unpopulated extremes outside edges of the Normandy map be level and smooth enough to be able to place additional mission maker made airfields?  All the other map edges are unpopulated but are very rough and un-level. 
And Happy Birthday!

Edited by Deacon352nd

Happy Birthday Jason!

Do you see IL2:GB being updated for a long time so that "IL2:GB 2.0" comes about slowly as a series of patches and content packs (much like that other sim), or would you prefer to make a completely fresh sequel one day?

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Upvote 3

Happy Birthday!

My question: Do you have any update you could share with us on the Marshal feature and the improvement of the internal aircraft systems like the fuel system? It has been quite some time we had any update on those and for example a DD about these topics would be very exciting. :)

Happy birthday! It is the same day as my dad’s birthday!

- What was my very first taste of virtual air combat in a video game?

Answer: F-15E Strike Fighter on an IBM PC at your friend’s house.

• 1CGS
16 minutes ago, Barnacles said:

Would you ever consider it feasible to do carrier ops in a Med./ N. Atlantic scenario? 

Consider?

Med - Yes

North - Atlantic - No

Actual build - Maybe, time will tell. 

Jason

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9
  • 1CGS
18 minutes ago, Deacon352nd said:

Will the unpopulated extremes outside edges of the Normandy map be level and smooth enough to be able to place additional mission maker made airfields?  All the other map edges are unpopulated but are very rough and un-level. 
And Happy Birthday!

Probably the same, but sure why you want such airfields on the extreme of the map. 

Jason

Question: Are there any plans to revisit some collectors like Spitfire V? Mods like clipped wings, guns or later engine would be a nice to fit in a variety of scenarios. Similar to how hurricane has many mods for its designations.

Edited by theRedPanda
  • Upvote 4

Happy birthday!

My question. What is the tech/improvement you'd like most to see implemented in IL2 (and of which you know it's possible, or at least not impossible)? So I'm not talking about new aircraft/theatres here (PTO;)) but rather about technical stuff. E.g. massed formations, MSFS-like graphics, wake turbulence, improved 3d resolution for the older BOS models, you name it. There's no need for any actual plans to do such a thing.

We understand why you make limits on the extent of the map but if the edges were level and smooth, we could then add airfields that we wanted (for historical missions) which were outside the extent of the map (such as Bodney in the East Anglia area of England). 

Edited by Deacon352nd
  • 1CGS
16 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Happy Birthday Jason!

Do you see IL2:GB being updated for a long time so that "IL2:GB 2.0" comes about slowly as a series of patches and content packs (much like that other sim), or would you prefer to make a completely fresh sequel one day?

Mmm... at some point we'll have to stop with this particular engine, but some parts of it will live on in an evolved form in a "new engine". Some parts may be completely new, which parts remains to be decided. Making an entirely new engine from scratch sounds good, but is actually a bad idea.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

happy birthday!

Do you know if, theoretically, the data would be available for a hypothetical fall of France scenario? or otherwise perhaps a continuation war one, with Fokkers and Gladiators and other wonderful planes, but I shouldnt get greedy and stick to one question

11 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

- How old am I today? I gave a hint in a recent DD.

- What was my very first taste of virtual air combat in a video game? Name the title and system.

- What was my favorite air combat game on the original Nintendo system? Name the title.

- What was my favorite air combat arcade game in an actual coin-op arcade? Name the title.

- What do I consider my first PC combat flight-sim and what kind of computer did I play it on?

Happy birthday!

In response to the questions:

For your age, I'll guess 38.

Since you said 30 years ago and a Nintendo system, that would make it probably something like Top Gun on the NES.

As for favorite air combat game on the NES. It could be UN Squadron, the predecessor to the Ace Combat series.

• 1CGS
18 minutes ago, =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 said:

Happy Bday

okey question,

we will ever see a fleshed out mission editor more user friendly, and better integrated into the game?

The ME will not be "simplified" as you are thinking. It may be a complicated tool, but it is very powerful. However, we are re-vamping the QMB to include what we call the Advanced Quick Mission (in development now) which is our previous campaign tech added tot he QMB. This will add a lot more options for actual missions in the QMB. All the current stuff will also remain.

Also, some in the community have harnessed our mission tech like Vander and Pat Wilson so there are already some easy to use options for creating missions.

Jason

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3
  • 1CGS
17 minutes ago, CSW_FMF_Tommy544 said:

Happy Birthday!

My question: Do you have any update you could share with us on the Marshal feature and the improvement of the internal aircraft systems like the fuel system? It has been quite some time we had any update on those and for example a DD about these topics would be very exciting. :)

Marshal development has been tortured and unfortunately it involves someone leaving the company so I can't go into details. It's a less than ideal situation. The Marshal mode has parts built that work, but testing has revealed many bugs that need to be fixed. We are hopeful this summer it will be ready for release. It's been in beta a couple times, but did not perform well. unfortunately.  

Fuel systems is nearing the finish line, but will need to be tested. That is Mr. An.Petrovich's department. He is working hard on it. 

Jason

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5

My question:

Would you consider making a fictional game campaign using WW2 airplanes and the IL-2 Sturmovik engine (or an updated one using IL-2’s flight and damage modelling combined with a “real world” platform like Cesium), perhaps air mercenary pilots with a home airfield and dynamic campaign missions to make money and access more planes, and so on? Or do you prefer to remain in the historical realm?

• Confused 1
11 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

What was my favorite air combat arcade game in an actual coin-op arcade? Name the title.

Harrier, river run.

Happy Birthday Jason!

And the question. 

Are you aware of the bug with the new AMD 6000 series cards, that makes them slower than 5000 series? If yes, is there a chance to see some sort of fix in the next, let's say three months? 

• Jason_Williams changed the title to 24 HOUR FLASH SALE ON TC, FC1 and BOBP!! (Ended)
  • Jason_Williams locked and unpinned this topic