Jump to content

Haluter’s Skin Downloader for the IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles series


BlackHellHound1
 Share

Recommended Posts

=RS=Stix_09
48 minutes ago, ImaginativeTruth said:

On Windows Version  10.0.19042 Build 19042 I had to 'Run as Administrator' to get around the 'cannot connect to server' error when launching the app.

 

this will depend on what permissions you run your windows user account under and settings in windows
How User Account Control works (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs

 

 

A suggested option field for the tool:

How to contact the author of the skin. (website forum link or email?)
 

This tool is really well made , great stuff 🙂

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

Awesum tool,  👍
question: collector planes, some that are collector planes are not listed in that category , like the spit vb and the fw190a3.
Is that a bug  or intended?
 

Store / IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles collector planes

 

Yes, some skins are included in the "Premium edition" of a game. These are indeed included in with their respective game.
Fw 190A-3 and La-5 as part of BoS
Spit Vb and Hs 129 as part of BoK

Etc.


Planes that have no direct correlation to a particular main game are listed in Collector planes. Such as the Yak-9's and Bf 109G-6

 

BlackHellHound1

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
Posted (edited)

We've had an overwhelmingly positive response everywhere and we couldn't be happier with how things went today.

 

Even though you all managed to download over 375GB worth of skins (that's over 17500 4K skins worth) in just a few hours, our setup could handle it just fine.

Your extensive use has shown us a few more bugs in the system that we will fix soon but overall an amazing launch!

 

Thank you all for your comments and input :blush:
 

The HSD Team!

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can i install HSD on a different hard drive than IL2 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Swing said:

Can i install HSD on a different hard drive than IL2 ?

 

You can install it wherever you want. As long as it is the same PC!

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

afergusonFerg

A great tool, but somehow I've hit a hurdle.

Somehow my path to the "skins" folder has changed so that after "graphics", there is no "skins" file, just another "graphics" file that will allow be to go to "skins".

The pathway reads ....\data\graphics\graphics\skins., which isn't valid if course. There seems to be a config error.

I've also lost all my saved skins in the game, leaving the default ones as the only options.

HELP!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

II/JG11_ATLAN_VR

WE LIKE IT THX II/JG11

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, afergusonFerg said:

A great tool, but somehow I've hit a hurdle.

Somehow my path to the "skins" folder has changed so that after "graphics", there is no "skins" file, just another "graphics" file that will allow be to go to "skins".

The pathway reads ....\data\graphics\graphics\skins., which isn't valid if course. There seems to be a config error.

I've also lost all my saved skins in the game, leaving the default ones as the only options.

HELP!

 

I assume you are not using the Steam version?  What does your physical game folder look like in Windows?  If the game folder has graphics\graphics\skins folder, you could just do a cut and paste to the correct folder.

Edited by ICDP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

E69papa_Osi

Thanks a lot. It is an incredible job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

meplanes1969

many thanks for this,best thing since sliced bread ☺️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

.

Edited by Taurus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HR_Tofolo

Outstanding tool, what a great addition.

 

Thanks to all involved

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A must have for all skin lovers...!!!:friends:...fantastic job guys...!!! :good:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

haluter

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that downloaded HSD. The launch exceeded our expectations by a wide margin 😁
@BlackHellHound1 did a fantastic job handling it, couldn't have wished for a better partner for the project.

Also wanted to give a shout out to @Alonzo for his valuable contribution with the server back-end 🙂

Edited by haluter
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RedKestrel

I've never gotten much into using custom skins, but this program makes it so easy to browse and install them. Thanks guys!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VBF-12_Stick-95

Great idea and execution, very easy to use.

 

A few questions:

 

If you upload a skin but want to edit something later, e.g., the description, is there a way to do this?

 

Is there a way to update a skin's dds file if you make changes to it?

 

Is there a way for the artists to see a download count of only their skins?

 

Would it make sense to have a "Thumbs up" box for users to check if they like a skin?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RNAS10_Oliver
31 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Great idea and execution, very easy to use.

 

A few questions:

 

If you upload a skin but want to edit something later, e.g., the description, is there a way to do this?

 

Is there a way to update a skin's dds file if you make changes to it?

 

Is there a way for the artists to see a download count of only their skins?

 

Would it make sense to have a "Thumbs up" box for users to check if they like a skin?

 

 

 

Been uploading and downloading some skins over the weekend. The answers are not at the moment.

 

But if you check the roadmap seems the first two are hoped to be included in later releases. I asked on the Discord as to whether that would include being able to change the skins name (and have the program remove the old named versions) but that was considered unlikely due to tricky-ness.

 

As for the latter two questions that also seems to be a maybe and no not planned;

 

15:15] Psyrion: Just spitballing here but what about a way to sort by downloads/popularity/likes or something along those lines. Came to mind while looking at modding sites again.

[15:17] BlackHellHound1: No, and we purposely keep that out of HSD. We dont want it to insight competition through "who gets the most likes" or "Who is most popular"

[15:18] BlackHellHound1: We may add a "downloaded x times" for the artist once we have the account system but that's it.

[15:22] Psyrion: Fair enough. What about "new this week/month" sort of filters to check for new skins, or just sorting by upload date?(edited)

[15:23] BlackHellHound1: We will implement that later. But will come.


 

Edited by Oliver88
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PA_Keko_

Thanks !! really nice !!

 

Cheers!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DaveP63

This is incredible and so simple to use!!! Excellent!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
5 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Great idea and execution, very easy to use.

 

A few questions:

 

If you upload a skin but want to edit something later, e.g., the description, is there a way to do this?

 

Is there a way to update a skin's dds file if you make changes to it?

 

Is there a way for the artists to see a download count of only their skins?

 

Would it make sense to have a "Thumbs up" box for users to check if they like a skin?

 

 

 

You can see in our roadmap that we want to include an edit function. We have to be careful with it's implementation since we need to make sure people can't just take control of other people's skins. Will take a while to implement.

You will be able to replace a .dds file once we have our edit function. The file name, however, will likely be fixed.

A download count might come with the account system. But will be private to the artist. However, this is not set in stone so no guarantees.

We purposely kept out an upvote system. We can't reliably implement it without forcing everyone to use an account (we want to avoid regular users from needing one). On top of that, we want to avoid a "competition" system where artists "do it for the likes". 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VBF-12_Stick-95

Thanks for the answers to my questions.  After working a little more with HSD I have a suggestion which you probably already have thought of.  This would be the ability to drag and drop the jpg thumbnail and the dds file from File Explorer to their spots in the upload tab vs having to search from there back to the file location.  It would not only be easier but would save time.  If this is not feasible, a backup suggestion would be to have the last used jpg and dds file paths remembered separately, or allow users to store the paths in the Options.  I keep the two type files on different drives and I find myself jumping back and forth as it is.

 

Thanks

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
20 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Thanks for the answers to my questions.  After working a little more with HSD I have a suggestion which you probably already have thought of.  This would be the ability to drag and drop the jpg thumbnail and the dds file from File Explorer to their spots in the upload tab vs having to search from there back to the file location.  It would not only be easier but would save time.  If this is not feasible, a backup suggestion would be to have the last used jpg and dds file paths remembered separately, or allow users to store the paths in the Options.  I keep the two type files on different drives and I find myself jumping back and forth as it is.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

We have tried to implement Drag-and-Drop with little success. We still want it and keep trying to implement it. Just need to find a working solution.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VBF-12_Stick-95

I just uploaded a skin pack of 4 Hurricanes, each made up of a second S gun dds file.  The skin pack should be named "309 RAF HurricaneMkIIc - Polish" and contain these skins: 

 

309 RAF MkIIc WC-D

309 RAF MkIIc WC-E

309 RAF MkIIc WC-F

309 RAF MkIIc WC-S

 

Unfortunately I think I misspelled the skin pack when uploading 309 RAF MkIIc WC-D as "309 RAF HuuricaneMkIIc - Polish".  I think the other 3 are OK.

 

Can the curator check this please?

 

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
33 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Unfortunately I think I misspelled the skin pack when uploading 309 RAF MkIIc WC-D as "309 RAF HuuricaneMkIIc - Polish".  I think the other 3 are OK.

 

I deleted that one, you can re-upload it. 

Also, join our discord. It's easier for us if you tell/request such things there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VBF-12_Stick-95
7 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

 

I deleted that one, you can re-upload it. 

Also, join our discord. It's easier for us if you tell/request such things there.

 

OK, that one is back up.

 

Will check out Discord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many, many thanks for this fantastic tool. It is supremely more useful than having to trawl through endless threads on a (woefully neglected) subforum in the hope of finding something. I have a small request, or maybe more of a minor frustration with the HSD though. Would it be possible to force the launcher to recognise priority of windows please during the launch period? If I load HSD and it decides to take some time to filter for updates, the box overrides all currently active windows - including video games launched in Steam. It's quite annoying for such a minor quibble.

 

Cheers.

Edited by Leifr
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leifr said:

Many, many thanks for this fantastic tool. It is supremely more useful than having to trawl through endless threads on a (woefully neglected) subforum in the hope of finding something. I have a small request, or maybe more of a minor frustration with the HSD though. Would it be possible to force the launcher to recognise priority of windows please during the launch period? If I load HSD and it decides to take some time to filter for updates, the box overrides all currently active windows - including video games launched in Steam. It's quite annoying for such a minor quibble.

 

Cheers.

 

I have reported it and when they get the most important things sorted first.  No promises it will be any time soon but at least they are aware.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JG1_Vonrd

For the screenshots

  • Image files may not be more than 200kb.
  • Image files may be no larger than 960x540p.

Does anyone know a good batch re-size and converter (bmp to jpg)? I've been using Irfanview but the Kb size seems to vary a bit between the files batched. Takes a bit of trial and error to get below the 200Kb limit. Is there software where you can specify the file size?

 

Edited by JG1_Vonrd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
13 minutes ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

For the screenshots

  • Image files may not be more than 200kb.
  • Image files may be no larger than 960x540p.

Does anyone know a good batch re-size and converter (bmp to jpg)? I've been using Irfanview but the Kb size seems to vary a bit between the files batched. Takes a bit of trial and error to get below the 200Kb limit. Is there software where you can specify the file size?

 

 

I use photoshop for that myself. When saving as JPG you can set the quality and reducing that to about 8-10 brings it below the 200kb.
For a batch I use "File --> Scripts --> Image processor".
 

SketchBook also has the option to save JPG's at a reduced quality. But it can only do one image at a time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VBF-12_Stick-95
4 hours ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

For the screenshots

  • Image files may not be more than 200kb.
  • Image files may be no larger than 960x540p.

Does anyone know a good batch re-size and converter (bmp to jpg)? I've been using Irfanview but the Kb size seems to vary a bit between the files batched. Takes a bit of trial and error to get below the 200Kb limit. Is there software where you can specify the file size?

 

 

I use FastStone Photo Resizer.  It's free, fast and easy to use.  They have a number of apps.  Use this when converting multiple bmp screenshots to jpg at a time.

 

https://faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JG1_Vonrd

Thanks guys! I'll try out the suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FlyinPinkPanther

This is great! I added about 20+ skins I didn't have already. 

 

Quick technical question: is this possible or desired?

The system can scan your skin files and ask to upload skins that is not yet on the system for download. They probably wouldn't be a preview unless someone creates one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Melonfish
18 hours ago, Leifr said:

Many, many thanks for this fantastic tool. It is supremely more useful than having to trawl through endless threads on a (woefully neglected) subforum in the hope of finding something. I have a small request, or maybe more of a minor frustration with the HSD though. Would it be possible to force the launcher to recognise priority of windows please during the launch period? If I load HSD and it decides to take some time to filter for updates, the box overrides all currently active windows - including video games launched in Steam. It's quite annoying for such a minor quibble.

 

Cheers.

Click in the loading window of HSD then away again, it should resume loading but change focus to whatever you were previously on, I had this too. should do until they patch ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canvas25

@BlackHellHound1 When I first go in to the program after an update, a handful of skins are pre-selected in the queue for download which I did not mark. Is this a known issue?

 

Kudos to you and Haluter for a really great asset!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackHellHound1
1 hour ago, Canvas25 said:

@BlackHellHound1 When I first go in to the program after an update, a handful of skins are pre-selected in the queue for download which I did not mark. Is this a known issue?

 

Kudos to you and Haluter for a really great asset!

 

We are aware of this but still haven't found the cause. We keep looking though.
Can you PM me the HSD.log? Might help us figure out the cause.

BlackHellHound1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...