Changes and tweaks to career mode

LukeFF

The purpose of this topic will be to discuss changes and tweaks to career mode that don't always make it into the release changelogs.

One feature I am currently looking into right now is the inclusion of the 4x Hispano cannon mod for the Hurricane for the Battle of Stalingrad phase, which would convert the plane into the IIC. My reading of the topic here leads me to believe this would be a historically valid change to make: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074706-hurricane-mk-2c-soviet-use-pics/

Also, I am looking at having the engine boost mod available for the Hurricane from January 1943, given that the British started implementing it in their own Hurricanes from late 1942.

• Like 7

Just to clarify, is this specifically asking for information regarding changing and tweaking the career and discussing those or can we make suggestions here and bounce them off and discuss those too? I just want to make sure I understand before I start posting without understanding the purpose.

Edited by Q_Walker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Q_Walker said:

Just to clarify, is this specifically asking for information regarding changing and tweaking the career and discussing those or can we make suggestions here and bounce them off and discuss those too? I just want to make sure I understand before I start posting without understanding the purpose.

It can be both for discussing changes that have been made in a recent update and ideas for future updates (within reason - there's certain things, of course, that I cannot alter). As I wrote above, the big thing I'm looking into right now is adjusting the timeline of when modifications for the Hurricane should become available.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1

Perfect, thank you for clarifying. Glad to see this thread, definitely good to be able to discuss in a Career specific topic.

• Thanks 1

Missionbug

incendiaryHello LukeFF, most reports coming from different sources indicate that Russian technicians began to alter the weapons of the Hurricane from very soon after they started to arrive in country, the first aircraft came with a R.A.F contingent and from there in modifications began to appear, first up was trying to make local fuel improvements for which one of the R.A.F. team can be credited.;)

The big issue from a career point of view is what modifications, where and when, I gave up on my Hurricane career in game and started one in Pat's generator as for me that gives more variety in that matter even if most missions still use the eight gun armament they do include the under wing bombs which for the Mk.II would be correct right from the get go in Russia I would think.

By the time Soviet officialdom finally got around to issuing specifics it is most likely by then it was the cart dragging the horse as to the horse first, ground crew in conflict will do whatever is necessary to keep aircraft serviceable, begging, borrowing, stealing and even making items, this it can be argued would be the same for modifications to armament as well where anything available could be added providing it was approved by local commanders and for them it would be needs must, usually most test information is passed back up the line and it can be argued becomes the official anyway by the time government ministries get around to checking it.

Unfortunately my information is spread over many books and and is not necessarily backed up by evidence, photographs with dates can help if indeed they are correct so finding specifics is beyond me, colours is more my thing and even there from a period so long ago understanding just how accurate things are is difficult as there are many variations in the literature so knowing what is fact and fiction is hard especially in this context as you have to decide what to include for a broad audience who probably all have their own take on it.

Many Hurricanes arrived via service in the Middle east and Europe rather than being purely new build aircraft and so what armament was in place there in service would have been what turned up in Russia so that can help in some way providing we were able to also supply the shells for gun types, the only one said not to have been used in combat are the 40mm tank buster cannons.

This is a difficult one for you to make specifics, British aircraft had a mix of ammo types for the 303 as well that I do not think our game has, in game that caliber is particularly weak against the opposition, our pilots had the added benefit of incendiary type bullets as well as other mixes, you might have to go for a little artistic licence here I think.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

@Missionbug, from information I have gathered from various sources (including the developers), the initial shipments of Hurricanes to the USSR consisted of the IIA and IIB models over the winter of 1941-42 and that the first conversions of the Hurricane to Soviet armament took place near the end of April 1942. That all makes sense, given that the priority would have been to get the planes into frontline service as soon as possible - the Soviets were chronically short of fighters during this time, so there was little time to waste in sending them to depots for conversion work (much like what happened with the initial batches of A-20). So, that all lines up well with what we have in the Battle of Moscow phase right now.

Then, from the linked topic above, we can infer that IICs started arriving no later than mid-1942, given that the photo of the Hungarian pilot standing in front of a captured IIC model is dated to July 1942. So, with that in mind, what I'm thinking for the Battle of Stalingrad phase is this:

• Make the IIC model the default version for air-to-air missions.
  • For ground attack missions, make the IIB with Soviet armament the default version, since this model alone has Soviet bomb and rocket loadouts.
  • From January 1943, make the engine boost mod available and enabled by default for all missions.

On that note - did any Soviet Lend-Lease planes use British or American bombs? My guess is they didn't, and that's why I've not altered the default loadout for Hurricane ground attack missions on the Moscow map from the guns-only loadout set up by the developers.

And yes, while IIDs were sent to the USSR, they were never employed in combat - the one regiment to which they were assigned hated them so much (for a variety of reasons, including them being worn down) that they eventually were swapped out for Yaks. So, that's the one model for certain that's not going to show up in career mode.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 2

Missionbug

Hello LukeFF, I would think that with the aircraft there would have also been at least some attempt to provide munitions but how much and exactly what I cannot answer, finding that information to confirm what we might think happened is I think your issue here and is one that is difficult to get help with from the rest of the community, as far as conversions to the airframe go the question is were aircraft routinely removed to depots or was the work done at squadron level?

I would guess it depended on the complexity of the undertaking, technicians in the field are usually very adept at what they do, however, there are limits, adapting adapting Hurricane wings to carry Soviet equipment and their ordnance might be a possibility as might be changing out the guns, again we come to the question of was it or not?

At the end of the day in a commercial product I suppose you are stuck with having to go with what you have that is considered official.;)

Anyway, I will take a look through what I have although most of my references were bought for camouflage information for modelling and skin work, sadly most are foreign language publications, one for the Hurricane for example is polish and so they only contain small captions in English for the photographs but they say a picture paints many words so worth a look I think.

Until something anymore conclusive comes about your plan is a start, hopefully knowing you require the help might bring forth more informative material for you to use.

Take care and be safe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Missionbug said:

I would guess it depended on the complexity of the undertaking, technicians in the field are usually very adept at what they do, however, there are limits, adapting adapting Hurricane wings to carry Soviet equipment and their ordnance might be a possibility as might be changing out the guns, again we come to the question of was it or not?

It probably came down to a couple of factors:

• Time: any time spent on modifying Hurricanes to a new weapon system was time the planes weren't in the air protecting the approaches to places like Moscow and Murmansk.
  • Availability: the weapons and ammunition needed for the new weapons might simply have not been available in the winter of 41-42. However, by April 1942, the immediate threat to Moscow had been eliminated, so they now had the time to address issues like upgrading the Hurricane's armament.

As for bombs, that's a tougher one to answer at least at the moment, but so far it seems like that ordnance was not part of the Lend-Lease program.

Edited by LukeFF

The next change is to the MiG-3's armament options - I found a source that says the first MiG-3's equipped with ShVAK cannons were completed near the end of 1941:

"As a result, after the famous telegram from Stalin's December 23, 1941 issue of the MiG-3 was discontinued, and the plant # 1 switched to the production of Il-2. In the evacuation was able to issue only 22 MiG-3, already armed with two synchronized cannons ShVAK."

https://airpages.ru/eng/ru/mig3arm.shtml

Based on this info, I think it's valid to have the ShVAK armament option available from the beginning of January 1942.

Missionbug

Just to emphasize what I wrote earlier LukeFF, here are a few sentences taken from the Polish publication I have that show a little of the ad hoc nature of the early developments of the changes to the Hurricanes. ;)

Under the heading 'Hurricane modifications in the USSR'

‘As early as December 1941, workshops of 72 SAP started to modify the armament, replacing Browning guns with two 12.7mm (0.5 in) UBK guns with 100 rounds per gun, or with ShVAK cannon.  Some aircraft were converted to carry a single FAB-50 bomb under each wing.  The later modification was first suggested by Capt. Boris Safanov, OC 78 IAP.  Another variant of armament modification consisted in replacing 4 Browning guns with two UBK ones.  Apart from changes in armament Safanov also had the pilot's seat armour replaced in his aeroplane, using one from a crashed I-16.’

‘Apart from conversions made on a individual basis in combat units, the VVS HQ decided to replace armament and cockpit armouring in all Mk.IIA and B aircraft.  In march 1942 a national level decision was made to re-arm all Hurricanes with more powerful domestic armament.’

‘Conversions started at the Moscow factory no.81.  Pilots delivered the aircraft directly to the factory airfield.  Apart from the factory no.81 conversions were also made at Podmoskoye, Podlipki - 6 PVO repair workshops.  Apart from conversions made behind the lines, teams of workers from the factory no.81 would make conversions in field.  The work was carried out at airfields Kubinka, Khimiki, Monino, Yegorevka.'

This is probably already part of the information you and the team have but I thought it might be of interest to others.

Take care and be safe.

Edited by Missionbug

10 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

This is probably already part of the information you and the team have but I thought it might be of interest to others.

Thank you! Some of it is definitely new to me.

My guess is the March 1942 order is what brought about the change in armament to 2x ShVAK + 2x UB, and that these modifications were initially completed in April 1942 (according to one source, the first 40 were ready as of 18 April 1942).

Edited by LukeFF

Missionbug

Hello LukFF, the book goes on to mention many types of armament including FAB 100 bombs and rocket rails before it gets to April 1942, no specific dates though prior to April 1942 so it looks like your information is good.;)

Two earlier dates in April are mentioned, the text goes to mention shortages in attack squadrons with Hurricanes replacing Sturmoviks but this is with 65ShAP that fought in the polar region so is out of area for our current career.

'On 9th April 1942 25 Hurricanes were delivered to the regiment.  From 26th April the unit entered combat.'

So March and April 1942 are where the official rearming of Hurricanes starts to gain momentum and we then start to find all manner of different weapons in use.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

This is a bit off topic from plane modifications, and do correct me or remove the post if this is something you aren't able to alter or that isn't pertaining specifically to this topic. I remember someone made a post about adding some officer rank to the Luftwaffe but that is was too high for the Staffel ranks. I wonder if it is possible to add the Unteroffizier rank for the Luftwaffe. Would there need to be equivalent ranks added for the other sides as well? I understand it is a pretty low item being added to the Career compared to some other stuff, but just a suggestion, if of course it is possible.

3 hours ago, Q_Walker said:

This is a bit off topic from plane modifications, and do correct me or remove the post if this is something you aren't able to alter or that isn't pertaining specifically to this topic. I remember someone made a post about adding some officer rank to the Luftwaffe but that is was too high for the Staffel ranks. I wonder if it is possible to add the Unteroffizier rank for the Luftwaffe. Would there need to be equivalent ranks added for the other sides as well? I understand it is a pretty low item being added to the Career compared to some other stuff, but just a suggestion, if of course it is possible.

Yes, that is unfortunately only something that the developers can add. If it is something that is ever done, the good thing is that you could add one rank to each nation, and it wouldn't make things unhistorical:

Germany; Unteroffizier

RAF: Sergeant

USAAF: Lieutenant Colonel

USSR: Lieutenant Colonel

• Thanks 1

MarcoPegase44
On 1/11/2021 at 1:51 AM, LukeFF said:

The purpose of this topic will be to discuss changes and tweaks to career mode that don't always make it into the release changelogs.

One feature I am currently looking into right now is the inclusion of the 4x Hispano cannon mod for the Hurricane for the Battle of Stalingrad phase, which would convert the plane into the IIC. My reading of the topic here leads me to believe this would be a historically valid change to make: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074706-hurricane-mk-2c-soviet-use-pics/

Also, I am looking at having the engine boost mod available for the Hurricane from January 1943, given that the British started implementing it in their own Hurricanes from late 1942.

Improvement of the career mod

A lot of things are missing that would be very interesting to add to take full advantage of the possibilities that this superb simulation offers.

1 °) Add ships and barges in BOS, BOK and BOPB.
Missions of attacks and protection of ships among others.
Including static ships in ports.

2 °) It is the same for rolling train convoys.

3 °) It is the same for the transport planes JU 52 and C47 for BOS, BOK and Bopb.
For example for the Kuban there was a JU52 airlift which is currently not shown.

4 °) For BOBP, currently there is a separation between GB and USA which means that when we play on the RAF side we never meet American planes in the sky whereas in reality these 2 air forces flew together. It's the same when you play on the American side.

5) be able to have specific Equipment for each AI squadron by aircraft model.
For example for the SpitfiresIXe in BOBP, some squadrons had normal  wings tips and others had Spits with Clipped wings.

6 °) Have "scramble" missions.

7 °) debriefing: Have a logbook for each pilot that looks like a real logbook with time, the type of mission, decorations, and victories with the type of enemy aircraft shot down.

Why not have a mission report which indicates the enemy pilots taken prisoner with name and guard and squadron when they parachuted into the lines.

8 °) Review the AI squadron activation system which currently operates by proximity.

So, for example, when playing with the Luftwaffe in BOBP, you never meet a P38 because the Florennes base is too far from the front line.
Ditto for BOS with the HE111 and Ju 88.
Without changing the location of the squadrons which is historical, I think it's just a question of settings.

9 °) Have a career setting system which allows the options to be adapted to the player according to the power of his pc, historical realism
The current arrangement is unclear and very limited.

All of this will introduce variety to the career mod as the system currently does not take advantage of the simulation, will bring some interest back as it is currently a bit frustrating and feels incomplete.

I want to apologize for my bad English. I go through a translator. thank you for your patience

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

be able to have specific Equipment for each AI squadron by aircraft model.
For example for the SpitfiresIXe in BOBP, some squadrons had normal  wings tips and others had Spits with Clipped wings.

Unfortunately, equipment loadouts cannot be unit-specific at this time. The only exception to that is when only one or two units of a particular aircraft type are on the map at the time (e.g., Kommando Nowotny's Me 262.

Have "scramble" missions.

They are there, but their frequency is based on individual unit histories.

For BOBP, currently there is a separation between GB and USA which means that when we play on the RAF side we never meet American planes in the sky whereas in reality these 2 air forces flew together. It's the same when you play on the American side.

This should hopefully improve as more planes planned for Normandy make their way into the game, as most of them will also be relevant to Rhineland.

Otherwise, all those other things on your list are great, but they are beyond what I can personally modify.

Edited by LukeFF

MarcoPegase44
46 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Unfortunately, equipment loadouts cannot be unit-specific at this time. The only exception to that is when only one or two units of a particular aircraft type are on the map at the time (e.g., Kommando Nowotny's Me 262.

They are there, but their frequency is based on individual unit histories.

This should hopefully improve as more planes planned for Normandy make their way into the game, as most of them will also be relevant to Rhineland.

Otherwise, all those other things on your list are great, but they are beyond what I can personally modify.

Hello,

Thanks for your quick responses

In fact, some things existed in ROF's career like different nations with names of pilots, and mixing of nations in one mission.

BOX's modcareers are in many ways worse than ROF's.

This is what makes me think that the BOX career mod is an unfinished product

And the solo modcareer is essential for the commercial success of the product because I'm sure there are a lot of customers who don't have a good internet connection or the schedules to be able to play in multiplayer.

For example this is the reason why I did not buy "Flying Circus" while I loved ROF.

I will buy it when there is the opportunity to play a solo career.

Edited by MarcoPegase44

sevenless
22 hours ago, Missionbug said:

The big issue from a career point of view is what modifications, where and when, I gave up on my Hurricane career in game and started one in Pat's generator as for me that gives more variety in that matter even if most missions still use the eight gun armament they do include the under wing bombs which for the Mk.II would be correct right from the get go in Russia I would think.

There is a very easy solution for that. Start Notepad++ and delete the artificial aircraft ordnance restictions of your given plane (here HurricaneMkII) by editing the "15planes-to-missions.cfg" (15 for BoK, 14 for BoS, 13 for BoM, etc.) to "modifications_denied=0b000000" for all mission types you wish, which results in making all ordnance available to the player, so that he can decide at his personal discretion what to use and what not to use in his mission and the planes of his flight.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Missionbug

Thank you very much for that information sevenless, really appreciated.:cool:

Take care and be safe.

Monksilver

The list with the kill score of other pilots in the weekly paper is the same throughout the campaign. I am pretty sure that it used to change in Rise of Flight so  you could go up and down in the rankings depending on how you were doing which added a challenge. If that could be changed so the figures changed each week that would add a lot to the immersion. However, I appreciate it may require far too much effort to research what the figures should be for each week so perhaps not a realistic wish.

Love the idea about upgrading the Hurricane armament in Stalingrad as above.

Anyway thanks LukeFF for looking into ways of making things even better.

Are you sure they don't change? I was recently flying a Rheinland Career and saw that the numbers do change each week as long as there were historical kills during that time. 

2 hours ago, Monksilver said:

Love the idea about upgrading the Hurricane armament in Stalingrad as above.

Anyway thanks LukeFF for looking into ways of making things even better.

Thanks! I've consulted with one of the devs to make sure the info is accurate, so hopefully you will see the changes in the next official update.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1

Monksilver
2 hours ago, Q_Walker said:

Are you sure they don't change? I was recently flying a Rheinland Career and saw that the numbers do change each week as long as there were historical kills during that time. 

It's been some time since I did a Rheinland career, most of the time the careers I've been doing are in Moscow and those don't seem to change but perhaps I've only been paying attention to the top end and those guys were shot down. Seems I will have to pay closer attention.

sevenless

Maybe this helps a little.

As 1942 progressed, still more Hurricanes arrived in the USSR, with many of these aircraft coming from Canadian production lines. However, by now fully aware of the Hawker fighter’s shortcomings in combat, the Soviets began to increasingly demand Spitfire Mk Vs instead, and to reject Hurricanes which had flown for more than 40 hours prior to delivery. Often, a new fighter could approach this figure during acceptance testing and whilst being flown part of the way to the USSR.

Nevertheless, deliveries continued into 1944, when the last batch of 382 Hurricanes was delivered. By then the British had supplied their Soviet allies with 3360 aircraft. Of these, 399 had been lost when the ships they were aboard as hold cargo were sunk trying to reach Murmansk. A further 117 airframes were rejected by the Soviet inspectors upon their arrival in the USSR.

Among the Hurricanes sent were 176 Mk IIAs, 1690 Mk IIBs and 1130 Mk IICs. Canadian production supplied 529 Mk Xs, 150 Mk XIs and 248 Mk XIIs, and these aircraft are included in the preceding totals under their British equivalent designations.

Among the Hurricanes delivered in late 1943 were 46 Mk IIDs, with twin 40 mm cannon, and 30 Hurricane Mk IVs. These might have proven useful for Sturmovik regiments, but by then the Soviets had increased production sufficiently enough to equip virtually all of its ShAP units with Il-2s. The Hurricane Mk IIDs were duly assigned to 246 IAP, and although this regiment took the ‘tank busters’ to the front during the summer of 1944,there is no evidence that they actually saw any action with them prior to the unit exchanging the Hawker aircraft for Yak-1s.

From 1943 onwards, Hurricanes were slowly phased out of frontline service and sent to second-line PVO regiments. Others were converted into two-seaters and assigned as artillery correction aircraft. By war’s end there were no Hurricanes left in the frontline, except for a handful that were used as hacks. However, there were still some 760 Hurricanes serving with the interceptor units of the PVO in May 1945.

Mellinger, George. Soviet Lend-Lease Fighter Aces of World War 2 (Aircraft of the Aces) (Kindle-Positionen 387-391). Bloomsbury Publishing. Kindle-Version. 

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Maybe this helps a little.

Thanks! Yes, I have a good timeline worked out now for the Hurricane and it's various modifications, as well as the MiG-3. Players should start seeing the twin UBS armament option from the beginning of October 1941 and the twin ShVAK option from January 1942, though the default gun loadout will remain the 2x ShKAS + 1 UBS.

busdriver
On 1/11/2021 at 3:22 PM, LukeFF said:

As for bombs, that's a tougher one to answer at least at the moment, but so far it seems like that ordnance was not part of the Lend-Lease program.

I can not find any specific details, but in The Oxford Companion to World War II there is a table sourced from 'Twentieth Report to Congress on Lend-Lease Operations (ending 30 June 1945).'

824556248_OxfordCompanion.jpg.3bddfe566fa6a17f16ebb4f001485cd5.jpg

It breaks out expenditures in broad categories of aid. Under the overall category of Munitions these are the approximate (the table rounds off to the nearest thousands) dollars.

Ordnance: $1.29 billion (3% of $42 billion Total Direct Aid)

Ammunition: $2.65 billion (6%)

Aircraft: $4.97 billion (12%)

Aircraft engines/parts: $2.54 billion (6%)

Tanks/parts: $3.54 billion (8%)

Motor vehicles/parts: $2.07 billion (5%)

Watercraft: $3.62 billion (8%)

The UK received approximately half of the $42 billion, and the USSR received about $10 billion in direct aid. I am unable to find any specifics about what ordnance/ammunition the US might have sent to our Soviet Allies.

1 hour ago, cardboard_killer said:

Lend lease shipped totals by item and country can be found here:

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/index.html

Note that the USSR received very few bombs compared to the UK or even China.

Thanks - so it looks like the current default arrangement of guns-only for ground attack missions with the IIA, IIB, and IIC models is the most rational.

cardboard_killer
45 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Thanks - so it looks like the current default arrangement of guns-only for ground attack missions with the IIA, IIB, and IIC models is the most rational.

I confess that I have not followed this thread, just saw the info on LendLease and had a more precise information sheet. This is the  USA's LendLease (LL) shipments (not receipts) to the her allies. The UK gave a lot (a LOT) of goods and weapons to the USSR in addition to LL given by the USA. As the Hurri was a British plane they may have supplied all the ordnance to the USSR in lieu of US aid. I don't have numbers of the UK's aid to the USSR, although I'm sure the numbers are available out there. I do not think the UK's program was based on the USA's LL model, but instead was simply gifting of items. I may be wrong about that.

• Thanks 1

MarcoPegase44

Hello,

In BOS there is a difference in the training outfit of Russian and German fighters

In fact in the modcareer is it possible to program in a more historical way the different formations in BOPB ??? , between Germans, American (finger four), RAF (Fluid six).

I think this can be done in the "actions" file in scg folder 18: but I'm not sure, and haven't figured out how.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1hsnq74mop94b3v/TFD_Pilotenhandbuch_Auflage_4.pdf/file

10 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

Hello,

In BOS there is a difference in the training outfit of Russian and German fighters

In fact in the modcareer is it possible to program in a more historical way the different formations in BOPB ??? , between Germans, American (finger four), RAF (Fluid six).

I think this can be done in the "actions" file in scg folder 18: but I'm not sure, and haven't figured out how.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1hsnq74mop94b3v/TFD_Pilotenhandbuch_Auflage_4.pdf/file

Doubtful - that's the sort of thing the developers would likely have to change themselves. 

TG-55Panthercules

Hey Luke - glad to see you working on stuff like this.  I haven't really messed with IL-2 career mode yet (waiting for FC2 for that), so I don't know how it handles the issues of skin assignments.  I know I was able to work with VikS on the RoF career mode files to incorporate hundreds of skins for the units/pilots in that game - is there any chance that the IL2/FC career mode will have that same sort of skin-related capability?  I'd be happy to pitch in again on the FC portion in this regard if that would be any help.

Cheers,

Panther

1 hour ago, TG-55Panthercules said:

Hey Luke - glad to see you working on stuff like this.  I haven't really messed with IL-2 career mode yet (waiting for FC2 for that), so I don't know how it handles the issues of skin assignments.  I know I was able to work with VikS on the RoF career mode files to incorporate hundreds of skins for the units/pilots in that game - is there any chance that the IL2/FC career mode will have that same sort of skin-related capability?  I'd be happy to pitch in again on the FC portion in this regard if that would be any help.

Cheers,

Panther

Hi Panther! Yes, the stock career mode uses the same skin assignment system that RoF does, so we'll be able to add as many skins as the game can handle. 

9./JG52Gruber

Hi Luke,

Is it possible to get some harbor targets in Kuban with static cargo ships? I'm just finishing up a BoM/BoS career in the He 111 and moving to BoK next and it would be great to be able to bomb some ships from altitude. I understand moving ships would be a challenge but static ships should be possible, no? 

Also, my favorite targets in BoM/BoS were the railway junction strikes and it would be great to see some variation on those as well as airfield strikes going after hangars, fuel stores, etc instead of just a few static planes. 

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9./JG52Gruber said:

Hi Luke,

Is it possible to get some harbor targets in Kuban with static cargo ships? I'm just finishing up a BoM/BoS career in the He 111 and moving to BoK next and it would be great to be able to bomb some ships from altitude. I understand moving ships would be a challenge but static ships should be possible, no? 

Also, my favorite targets in BoM/BoS were the railway junction strikes and it would be great to see some variation on those as well as airfield strikes going after hangars, fuel stores, etc instead of just a few static planes. 

Keep up the great work.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I can't add mission types, but from looking at the mission editor recently, it looks like new mission types are coming soon, so perhaps harbor strikes will be added at some point.

MarcoPegase44
21 hours ago, TG-55Panthercules said:

Cheers,

Panther

Hello,

Look at my post below, I manage to manage the skins in the career mod for the player's wingers and the AIs of other squadrons.

For my game I was able to customize the skins of all the campaign squadrons I play.

The only thing I can't do is activate skins for the aces

besides I do not really understand how well to use the line "probweight =" of the file skins of "scg"

Spoiler

Edited by MarcoPegase44

TG-55Panthercules
8 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

Hello,

Look at my post below, I manage to manage the skins in the career mod for the player's wingers and the AIs of other squadrons.

For my game I was able to customize the skins of all the campaign squadrons I play.

The only thing I can't do is activate skins for the aces

besides I do not really understand how well to use the line "probweight =" of the file skins of "scg"

Hide contents

I'd missed that thread - thanks for sharing that.  The main focus of my work with the Devs on the RoF career mode was getting all the squadrons/units to use their appropriately marked default/generic skins during the appropriate time periods during the war, and also to add in the possibility of seeing the personal skins of several hundred aces or other actual pilots with the appropriate squadrons/units during the times they were flying with those units.  I think it added a lot to the IQ (Immersion Quotient) of the career mode, but we were never able to create a mechanism that would assign different individual skins to each member of the unit or your flight in particular (fortunately Pat Wilson was able to figure out a way to do that for his great PWCG, but it would have been great to be able to do that for the career mode as well).  Perhaps there might be some way to combine something like what you have done with your mod and what we did for the RoF career mode, to provide even more variety for the skies in FC career mode.

sevenless
On 1/12/2021 at 8:55 AM, MarcoPegase44 said:

5) be able to have specific Equipment for each AI squadron by aircraft model.

In theory that would be already possible with a little "workaround" from the devs. What needs to be done for this is the creation of mission dublicates for specific loadouts / units.

Example:

You get a "ground attack mission" for the Fw 190:

a) general mission type (that one can be defined with loadout which was historically available for 190 A8)

b) dublicate of a) (that one can be defined with loadout historically available for 190 F8)

Then you can define the loadouts differently for A8 and F8 planes in basically the same mission type "ground attack mission".

Backdraw of not having plane or unit specific loadouts is of course that all 190s in that mission are affected, but that is the same situation we already have in the game, so we don´t lose something. Advantage is that we gain a possibility to differentiate A8 and F8 planes, because all F8s can fly their missions with F8 config and all A8 units can fly their missions with A8 config while the A8 equipped units in the career don´t have access to F8 config and vice versa. 

The "smarter" solution of course would be to programm planetype and unit tags in the game, so that a unit a with planetype a has different loadout than with planetype b. That would allow those F8s as example have fighter support by A8s within the same mission.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Bill_Bates

Some things off the top of my head that would keep me interested longer and relieve some frustration would be:

First and most important for me as a SP career only player would be the addition of a chance to escape or make it back to base after an extended amount of time after bailing out or crash landing in enemy territory. A lot of my careers have been ended due to being a prisoner of war and some of those have been a subtle crash landing near the front line next to ally ground troops. 

Second would be a bit more details when it comes to your squadron, specifically logbooks for pilots. stats, awards, and events tracked. 

Third would be the option to change mission diversity. Whether you want it historical based on your squadron, random, more/less air to air/ground missions. I guess mainly just more customization options for the career mode. 

Forth would being able to add a new pilot to an existing campaign so if the current pilot dies or is captured you can continue at or around the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2