Jump to content
blitze

Pimax 8K-X, RTX2080 and Il2

Recommended Posts

Well, it arrived.  A few days back but with performances and testing - I had not much time.

 

This sim is so pretty with it. 

Much clearer compared to my 8K

Runs well enough with similar SS resolutions to the 8K but clarity is much improved.

 

Took a bit to sort it out for myself - running Vertical Offset at -1 both eyes made a huge improvement for me as well as getting used to the new strap.  Place HMD to eyes and then drop the rear which is weighted and sits higher than one would have thought.  Don't crank too much tension on the strap and all good.

 

Would like to see Back Light control in PiTool but I run it in 75Hz Native mode.  Really brings the skins and details out.  Been having a ball with dogfights where I am dropping my jaw on my desk at how lovely the skins are of the planes lined up in my sights.

 

I'm still running off internal HMD gyros for tracking as my Base Stations haven't dropped yet but unlike my *k, there is no discernible drift.  I might reposition my center view but only if it was cause I was careless on initial setting.  Also, no casing cracks yet LOL.  No, the casing seems much improved on the 8K.

 

VR has gone 4K native per eye and it is lovely to behold.!👍🥳

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear that. It is in fact a huge improve from the 8K, having the same large FOV, you went from 2560Hx1440V per eye (with just 2 subpixels per pixel, so 7.3 Million subpixels ) to 3840Hx2160V per eye (with 3 subpixels per pixel, so 24.8 Million subpixels). 

Clearly the 8KX is where all VR should go in the short-term, but with the price of the Rift-S please!!  🙂 

 

When you say same SS resolutions, what do you mean? did you reduce SS to have same pixels than 8K?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the screens are amazing on 8kx, that's for sure. The strap was comfortable as well.

 

too bad it's designed for people with some serious IPD distance.  With my IPD of 65 I couldn't get the lens center to line up with my eyes. At its minimum IPD of 60 (based on screen read out) the lens centers were still much wider than my eyes.  .. :(   But the screens.. man, I wish I had those in my VivePro...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, blitze said:

Place HMD to eyes and then drop the rear which is weighted and sits higher than one would have thought.

@blitze - i started a thread in the pimax forums about this - they changed the hinge from plastic to metal for the pre-orders, and it seems by doing that, they changed how low the back of the strap will go. We've worked together with Teigue to get a new 3d print design, and they have also admitted to the hinge being different and are sending out the plastic replacement hinges if you ask them for it. 

 

I tagged you in another thread, but then saw this one and figured i'll ask you here.

What are you settings in PiTool/SteamVR SS/in-game, if you dont mind me asking?

 

I added this VRem mod, but i havent tried it yet to see what kind of difference it makes.

Using PP sucks because you can clearly see a difference on the 8k x with  PP on or off, and the performance hit with PP is pretty big also. So Im going to try using PP Off and just try to zoom using one eye only i guess. Is there anything else you'd recommend tweaking in VRem or in other settings to make sure it sticks at 75fps and looks great?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that - I requested the replacement hinge as I feel the back should sit lower on the head.  Feels at the moment more like you perch it there and not as solid a placement.

 

Yes, PP sucks and for me, when I use zooming - it is cyclops style using corresponding eye to side of plane I am looking out from.

 

For consistent 75fps - and looking great - hmmm RTX 3080

for us current 2x gen RTX users, maybe PiTool 1.25 with SteamVR 50% in both Video and App with 2x FXAA??

I find MSAA at 4x to soften the world too much.

 

I hope they give us backlight control in a PiTool update.  Also think they need to pair down the per eye render target info sent to SteamVR like they did a few revisions back for the 8K

 

Still getting used to the headset and working it out.🧐

 

Just after answering this, I find

 

"BNP🇩🇰 π8k(X) Backer
 
I have a program over here that will sets the steamvr.vrsettings in the correct file automatically

maxRecommendedResolution = 16384;
GPUSpeed’s = 2000;
gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale = 1.5m;
allowSupersampleFiltering = false;
supersampleScale = 1;

direct link: https://github.com/craftyinsomniac/WFOVFix/releases/download/v0.1/WFOVFix.exe 15

favicon.svgGitHub 9 45133972?s=400&v=4

Releases · craftyinsomniac/WFOVFix 9

Finds and updates the steamVr.Vrsettings configuration lifting restrictions for users of wide field of view headsets - craftyinsomniac/WFOVFix"

 

from

https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-picture-screen-clear-crisp-increase-clarity/29688/79

 

I tried all recommended settings except for allowSupersampleFiltering=false; (I left taht out of my steamvr.vrsettings file.

Fired up Il2 with PiTool 1.25, SteamVR 50% Vid 50% App and had a much better view over distance. 👍🥳

Edited by blitze
Discovery for 8K-X users

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, blitze said:

Thanks for that - I requested the replacement hinge as I feel the back should sit lower on the head.  Feels at the moment more like you perch it there and not as solid a placement.

 

Yes, PP sucks and for me, when I use zooming - it is cyclops style using corresponding eye to side of plane I am looking out from.

 

For consistent 75fps - and looking great - hmmm RTX 3080

for us current 2x gen RTX users, maybe PiTool 1.25 with SteamVR 50% in both Video and App with 2x FXAA??

I find MSAA at 4x to soften the world too much.

 

I hope they give us backlight control in a PiTool update.  Also think they need to pair down the per eye render target info sent to SteamVR like they did a few revisions back for the 8K

 

Still getting used to the headset and working it out.🧐

 

Just after answering this, I find

 

"BNP🇩🇰 π8k(X) Backer
 
I have a program over here that will sets the steamvr.vrsettings in the correct file automatically

maxRecommendedResolution = 16384;
GPUSpeed’s = 2000;
gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale = 1.5m;
allowSupersampleFiltering = false;
supersampleScale = 1;

direct link: https://github.com/craftyinsomniac/WFOVFix/releases/download/v0.1/WFOVFix.exe 15

favicon.svgGitHub 9 45133972?s=400&v=4

Releases · craftyinsomniac/WFOVFix 9

Finds and updates the steamVr.Vrsettings configuration lifting restrictions for users of wide field of view headsets - craftyinsomniac/WFOVFix"

 

from

https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-picture-screen-clear-crisp-increase-clarity/29688/79

 

I tried all recommended settings except for allowSupersampleFiltering=false; (I left taht out of my steamvr.vrsettings file.

Fired up Il2 with PiTool 1.25, SteamVR 50% Vid 50% App and had a much better view over distance. 👍🥳

 

So some joe-schmo basically did the pimax experience app himself (the most important part of it) - i cant believe it was that easy to set the file  on every restart. Thanks bud ill check into it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finding the main setting that brings the 8K-X to desktop clarity for me is

 

"gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale" : 2.0m,

from the steamvr.vrsettings file - the whole file as given below in my instance.  Try 1.5 or 2.0m for the gpuSpeedRenderTarget Scale. The other modifications as written about on the OpenMR forum don't seem to have that much going for them. Not from my observations anyway.

 

{
   "DesktopUI" : {
      "pairing" : "1533,838,800,600,0",
      "settings_desktop" : "1611,947,800,600,1"
   },
   "GpuSpeed" : {
      "gpuSpeed0" : 1020,
      "gpuSpeed1" : 1025,
      "gpuSpeed2" : 1025,
      "gpuSpeed3" : 1022,
      "gpuSpeed4" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeed5" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeed6" : 1022,
      "gpuSpeed7" : 1022,
      "gpuSpeed8" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeed9" : 1026,
      "gpuSpeedCount" : 10,
      "gpuSpeedDriver" : "27.21.14.5222",
      "gpuSpeedHorsepower" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale" : 2.0m,
      "gpuSpeedVendor" : "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080",
      "gpuSpeedVersion" : 2
   },
   "LastKnown" : {
      "HMDManufacturer" : "Pimax VR, Inc.",
      "HMDModel" : "Pimax Vision 8K X"
   },
   "collisionBounds" : {
      "CollisionBoundsStyle" : 1
   },
   "steamvr" : {
      "background" : "#FF000000",
      "enableHomeApp" : false,
      "installID" : "4387763737521307439",
      "lastVersionNotice" : "1.9.10",
      "lastVersionNoticeDate" : "1576121020",
      "supersampleScale" : 1
      "maxRecommendedResolution": 8192,
   },
   "userinterface" : {
      "StatusAlwaysOnTop" : false
   }
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blitze said:

Finding the main setting that brings the 8K-X to desktop clarity for me is

 

"gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale" : 2.0m,

from the steamvr.vrsettings file - the whole file as given below in my instance.  Try 1.5 or 2.0m for the gpuSpeedRenderTarget Scale. The other modifications as written about on the OpenMR forum don't seem to have that much going for them. Not from my observations anyway.

 

{
   "DesktopUI" : {
      "pairing" : "1533,838,800,600,0",
      "settings_desktop" : "1611,947,800,600,1"
   },
   "GpuSpeed" : {
      "gpuSpeed0" : 1020,
      "gpuSpeed1" : 1025,
      "gpuSpeed2" : 1025,
      "gpuSpeed3" : 1022,
      "gpuSpeed4" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeed5" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeed6" : 1022,
      "gpuSpeed7" : 1022,
      "gpuSpeed8" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeed9" : 1026,
      "gpuSpeedCount" : 10,
      "gpuSpeedDriver" : "27.21.14.5222",
      "gpuSpeedHorsepower" : 1023,
      "gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale" : 2.0m,
      "gpuSpeedVendor" : "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080",
      "gpuSpeedVersion" : 2
   },
   "LastKnown" : {
      "HMDManufacturer" : "Pimax VR, Inc.",
      "HMDModel" : "Pimax Vision 8K X"
   },
   "collisionBounds" : {
      "CollisionBoundsStyle" : 1
   },
   "steamvr" : {
      "background" : "#FF000000",
      "enableHomeApp" : false,
      "installID" : "4387763737521307439",
      "lastVersionNotice" : "1.9.10",
      "lastVersionNoticeDate" : "1576121020",
      "supersampleScale" : 1
      "maxRecommendedResolution": 8192,
   },
   "userinterface" : {
      "StatusAlwaysOnTop" : false
   }
}

 

 

i just checked the file and it does overwrite after some uses of steamVR. So the program has to be rerun every 2 or 3 openings of steamVR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, how is spotting with 8KX? With and without PP?

I ask mostly for distant planes / pixel anomalies, and not for huge planes in front of my nose over dark terrain.

Edited by Brzi_Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Brzi_Joe What headset are you using at the moment?

 

With the recent discoveries in setting up the 8K-X, image quality over distance is as defined as my 1440p monitor, considering I am using 4K native but taking into account the magnification as the screens are on my face.

 

I tested my 8K with the new steamvr.vrsettings modifications and it makes a big improvement as well.  Not as defined as the 8K-X but a huge improvement on previously.

 

Spotting is as good as a decent monitor with the 8K-X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

Hey guys, how is spotting with 8KX? With and without PP?

I ask mostly for distant planes / pixel anomalies, and not for huge planes in front of my nose over dark terrain.

 

I could see distant pixels on 8kx whereas on VivePro they weren't rendered at all... So it's definitely better for distant spotting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blitze said:

What headset are you using at the moment?

Pimax 5k+. . I really wanted to buy 8KX a few months ago, but after so many delays, together with recent "banned" vr zoom without pp, I do not know any more.

 

Disney_World gave me an answer I wanted to hear; that distant pixels are more visible. I will probably reconsider my decision after developer solve native zoom for canted displays. Or I will slowly drop out of this game, I will see.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zoom without PP is ok - just get used to using one eye when you hit the zoom button.  Think of yourself as a Pirate. Arrrrgh ☠️

 

Spotting has been pretty bad in Il2 since just after they did the deferred rendering update in around 4.06

I'm sure they are working to resolve the problem though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...