Seeking feedback on DWT SP missions and campaigns

ATAG_Ezzie

Hi everyone,

ATAG_Ezzie here. This is only my second post on here but if you've ever spent any time on the ATAG server or forum you may have encountered me in my 110 over the years.

I'm part of the development team that created the SP missions and campaigns that were released in DWT 5.0 and we are really keen to support the SP community.  In my case i was a IL-2 / IL-46 SP player from 2004 until Feb 2014 and made a bunch of SP campaigns available at M4Today.

On behalf of the TFS SP mission /campaign creators we would be very keen to get constructive feedback on what we have done thus far, as this will help us with our future mission building activities that may go out in future updates (TBC).

If you like some of the things we have done then pls let us know.  Its often hard to know what people think is OK/good as its often only those with negative views who are motivated to post comments.  So all positive comments are much appreciated and will help motivate us to make more campaigns, knowing that at least some people think we are on the right track.

If you dont like some of the things we have done, or think we could do some things better-er, pls also let us know. Where possible pls provide constructive ways that we could address those things you dont like.  If you think something is crap then pls have a think about how we as mission builders could 'un-crap it' and let us know.

We are most interested in those things we can control as mission builders (ie mission design, campaign ideas, single mission ideas etc) but are still happy to get feedback about other related aspects (AI, map issues etc) which will be of interest to other members of the development team.

I know there are some highly talented mission builders out there.  If you are one of these people then we'd be really keen to learn from you if you are prepared to share your tips and tricks to help make us better mission makers. Additionally if you were interested in joining our ranks pls contact TFS and perhaps explore maybe joining the mission development team. We've had some recent interest and at least 1 experienced campaign builder has recently joined our ranks.

That's about it. Look fwd to hearing your feedback.

ATAG_Ezzie

PS. Would it be possible for an admin to change my user name to ATAG_Ezzie pls? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Buzzsaw pinned this topic

I've flown 2 missions in the P-40 campaign so far and read the briefing for the third one, but I already can appreciate the variety of mission types👍

Edited by Arthur-A
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

I've flown 2 missions in the P-40 campaign so far and read the briefing for the thirdone, but I already can appreciate the variety of mission types👍

Thanks Arthu-A

The author of that campaign will appreciate your feedback - thanks

Ezzie

Saluté Ezzie

Looks I´m the first one to report some bugs.

P-40 campaign: Mission 1 - Player starts as flight leader. ATC denied the start request. After a while, Player decides to start without permission.  The rest of his flight followed him till all planes are up in the air. From this point on, the AI goes his own way and the player is only a wingman 😄 It's the other way around on the way back to base: The Ai joins the Player and I´m the wing leader again...

Same goes for the D-520 campaign, but I didn´t had the time to test the other campaigns as well

Possible solution: Let the Player be the wingman all the time (which I would prefer) or let him be the the flight leader. But not both in the same mission.

41 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Saluté Ezzie

Looks I´m the first one to report some bugs.

P-40 campaign: Mission 1 - Player starts as flight leader. ATC denied the start request. After a while, Player decides to start without permission.  The rest of his flight followed him till all planes are up in the air. From this point on, the AI goes his own way and the player is only a wingman 😄 It's the other way around on the way back to base: The Ai joins the Player and I´m the wing leader again...

Same goes for the D-520 campaign, but I didn´t had the time to test the other campaigns as well

Possible solution: Let the Player be the wingman all the time (which I would prefer) or let him be the the flight leader. But not both in the same mission.

Hi Semor76,

Thanks for the feedback - good to have and appreciate your time in sending them thru.

I'm not the author of that campaign / mission but we'll take a look at it.

My missions start with the aircraft spawned in parked so I'm not 100% sure how to get this to work in this case.  In the spawned in parked missions the instructions i have included are 

'As you are the flight leader your wingmen are waiting for you to taxi first. Once you begin taxiing they will follow but may not move into take-off position until after you commence your take-off roll. After take-off it is recommended that you circle the field to enable your wingmen to catch up to you early in your sortie.'

Until we get a chance to look at it an option might be take off in autopilot and then take control after lift off.  The AI should follow you properly then i think.  Not ideal i know but it might be an interim solution until we can provide some instructions

Most of the Gladiator campaigns and the first 3 missions of the CR42 campaign have the player as the wingman as you have suggested. The instructions for take off are follows in mission 1 of the Glad campaign

You are #2 in this sortie and for most sorties in this campaign. Your lead (#1) is parked at your 10 o'clock position and you should start up and taxi and follow your leader to the runway for take off. When your leader states he is ready for take off press Tab 7-7 to let him know via radio that you are ready for take-off.  If you don't do this the leader probably won't take off as he is waiting for you to let him know that you are ready.

I checked this when i built the mission but would be curious to hear if anyone has tried this and it doesnt work like this.

Thanks again for the feedback Semor76 - much appreciated.

Ezzie

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ZG76_Ezzie said:

-Snip-

LoL. We´re talking about the "Desert Hawks" Campaign, right? Because my first mission starts on the runway, with engines already running

36 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

LoL. We´re talking about the "Desert Hawks" Campaign, right? Because my first mission starts on the runway, with engines already running

Yep - Desert Hawks. I'm not 100% sure how that works from a radio AI comms perspective but I'll contact the author to have a look at it.

7 minutes ago, ZG76_Ezzie said:

Yep - Desert Hawks. I'm not 100% sure how that works from a radio AI comms perspective but I'll contact the author to have a look at it.

Thanks mate. But I´m courious now. How can it be that you are spawned in a parked plane and me already on the runway?? Did you have a different version of the campaign?

Edited by Semor76

57 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Thanks mate. But I´m courious now. How can it be that you are spawned in a parked plane and me already on the runway?? Did you have a different version of the campaign?

Sorry for the confusion.  Desert Hawks has the player spawned in at the end of the runway with the engines running.

When i said 'my missions' i was referring to the missions/campaigns i made that start differently and because i made them this way I cant help you with this problem in Desert Hawks as I'm not 100% sure how that spawn-in procedure works.  I've contacted the author and he may drop by to assist.

You then went on to say 'Same goes for the D-520 campaign, but I didn´t had the time to test the other campaigns as well'. 

So in order to give you a heads-up on the other missions you havent tested i mentioned that the Gladiator/CR42 campaigns start differently to Desert Hawks and the D520 campaign and gave the procedures for them. This may be useful to know when you try the other campaigns.

So to answer your question - i dont have a different version of the campaign. Other campaigns start differently from what you have experienced with Desert Hawks.

Hope this clears it up.

Ezzie

• Thanks 1

1PL-Lucas-1Esk

Just a small note for everyone flying the Desert Hawks, JG 27, D520 and Beaufighter campaign. Before flying the mission, move your throttle to idle and remember to release brakes. You can always assist yourself by engaging autopilot (A-key) just to handle the taxi and take off procedures.

• Like 2

Where is there a QM that starts with the player aircraft parked? There is a Blenheim mission on Channel Summer map but that limits aircraft selection choices. Seems even that mission begins with player aircraft already started. So if you want to do a cold & dark start in a Martlet III seems like you would need to use the FMB.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZG76_Ezzie said:

Hope this clears it up.

Ezzie

Yup. Confusion cleared up😉 Already found out which campaign supports cold & dark mission starts. Thank you for taking the time to provide support.

One last thing: This is more a wish...can you provide optional cold & dark mission starts for the following campaigns: Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On ne Passe Pas and Rising from the Ashes.

See it more as a "bonus" for those who didn´t like the (more arcade style) spawn on runway thing.

Greets

6 hours ago, Semor76 said:

I'm the author of the P-40, Bf-109, D.520, and Beaufighter campaigns, so anyone should feel free to tag me if any more issues are encountered.

A "bandaid" for the problem you've encountered would be to turn on autopilot for takeoff, then resume manual control once your plane has wheels up. You can then continue the rest of the flight with your wingmen following you as they should.

Obviously, though, taking off is an important part of the experience, so we'll start working on a proper fix as soon as we can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

easterling77

Hy 

I've done the first two missions of the Desert Hawks campaign...as so far a ton of fun, thank you for the outstanding work.:clapping:

The only thing I've noticed was in mission two (attacking supply convoys) that I couldn't order my flight to attack the ground targets neither they had done this by themselves, they had stuck in formation all allong my attack runs and never fired a single shot.

Edit: Reflew the mission....al worked fine👍

Edited by easterling77

20 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I'm the author of the P-40, Bf-109, D.520, and Beaufighter campaigns, so anyone should feel free to tag me if any more issues are encountered.

A "bandaid" for the problem you've encountered would be to turn on autopilot for takeoff, then resume manual control once your plane has wheels up. You can then continue the rest of the flight with your wingmen following you as they should.

Obviously, though, taking off is an important part of the experience, so we'll start working on a proper fix as soon as we can.

Saluté.

Dont want to sound too nitpicking here, but you know this is a common "workaround" from the old days for a very, very old and nasty bug in CoD? I thought this would be fixed already with the release.

Anyway, good to have you around here and congrats to your campaigns! A lot to fly for the next days/weeks 😉

Eagles over Tobruk: although the first 3 missions are purely air-to-air, player's flight of 109E-7 is laden with bombs...

Edited by Dornil

7 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Where is there a QM that starts with the player aircraft parked? There is a Blenheim mission on Channel Summer map but that limits aircraft selection choices. 

I guess that you want a Tobruk mission, if are any that start with plane on ground (or even in air), but engines on, use CUSTOM button and save this mission with different name (and plane, if want), e.g. Spitfire cold start in Tobruk. Close the game*.

Go to ... Documentos\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\mission\quick\ and open the "Spitfire cold start in Tobruk.mis" file and in the start of the code look for Weapons 1 line

[PARTS]
  core.100
  bob.100
[MAIN]
  MAP Land$English_Channel_1940
  BattleArea 25000 10000 300000 300000 50000
  TIME 9
  WeatherIndex 2
  CloudsHeight 700
  BreezeActivity 10
  ThermalActivity 10
  player BoB_RAF_B_105Sqn.200
[splines]
[AirGroups]
  BoB_RAF_B_105Sqn.21
[BoB_RAF_B_105Sqn.21]
  Flight0  D
  Class Aircraft.BlenheimMkIV
  Formation VIC
  CallSign 30
  Fuel 100
  Weapons 1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  Scramble 1
  Skill 0.8 0.6 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.6 0.5
  Aging 66
  Briefing 2
  Serial0 V6028
  BandColor0 0.92 0.72 0.15 0.80 0.80 0.80 0.15 0.15 0.15

Bellow "Weapons 1" you have 

Scramble 1

Change this for

SetOnPark 1

Plane spawn on spawn point (the highest number available in runway, e.g. 99) engines off.

If you just delete Scramble 1 or SetOnPark 1 mission became Air Start, nope will start on runway, engines on, chocks off (same as Idle).

* You need close the game because changes made in text files (.mis, .ini...) is read only when game start.

Scramble 1 = plane on runway, engine on, chocks in, what prevent plane turn to wind.

Scramble 0 = plane on runway, engines on, chocks out, plane turn to wind.

SetOnPark 1 = plane on spawn point, engines off, chock out

Edited by Sokol1

2 hours ago, Dornil said:

Eagles over Tobruk: although the first 3 missions are purely air-to-air, player's flight of 109E-7 is laden with bombs...

Hi Dornil - thanks for the feedback.

This is due to some very late changes made to the way the game treats default loadouts just prior to release  These missions were made with clean aircraft (ie no bombs) prior to this change but this change has added the bombs. I believe a fix is in progress. 

An interim solution is to jettison your bombs after take-off but i appreciate that this wont work for your wingmen and may kill fish unnecessarily if you drop them in the ocean.  JK about the fish..

Ezzie

7 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Yup. Confusion cleared up😉 Already found out which campaign supports cold & dark mission starts. Thank you for taking the time to provide support.

One last thing: This is more a wish...can you provide optional cold & dark mission starts for the following campaigns: Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On ne Passe Pas and Rising from the Ashes.

See it more as a "bonus" for those who didn´t like the (more arcade style) spawn on runway thing.

Greets

No probs Semor76 - and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

re your wish - Cybermat is working on that it seems so will hopefully have updated missions available in the near future.

Ezzie

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Sokol1

Thanks. Will make note of your post for reference in future.

What I did was to make a new mission in the FMB on the Channel winter map starting parked at Wilmington. No problem getting to fly a Martlet III on that map. What I was trying to point out is that this is an easy mission to create so that someone who has never used the FMB could learn their way around just about any flyable. I do not know why such a QM would not have been provided.

4 hours ago, Dornil said:

When you start the mission, you can select whether or not you are carrying bombs.

Check the loadout.

10 hours ago, Dornil said:

A patch for this has been created and should be published soon, apologies for this slipping under the radar.

Nevím čím to je , ale mě po instalaci Tobruk a oparavné patch 5.001 zmizelo tlačítko v nastavení letounu ( výzbroj) nemůžu si vybrat bomby nebo zrušit nastavit sbíhavost střel tak jak to bylo ve starém CoD, nevíte čím to je? 

I don't know what it is, but after installing Tobruk and the patch 5.001, the button in the aircraft settings (armament) disappeared, I can't choose bombs or cancel the convergence of missiles as it was in the old CoD, you don't know what it is?

Mission #3 and #4 in the Gladiator campaign have an issue, it takes a very long time to get take-off clearance even after other traffic has left the runway. In mission #3, the Gladiator flight waits for Hurricanes landing but is not allowed to take off immediately after the Hurricanes have taxied to parking. 

3 minutes ago, BB5000 said:

Mission #3 and #4 in the Gladiator campaign have an issue, it takes a very long time to get take-off clearance even after other traffic has left the runway. In mission #3, the Gladiator flight waits for Hurricanes landing but is not allowed to take off immediately after the Hurricanes have taxied to parking. 

Hi BB5000 - i replied over at ATAG to your other post on this.  If you could let me know a couple of answers to my follow-up questions I will see what i can do to assist.

Ezzie

10 minutes ago, BB5000 said:

Ezzie, yes, sorry...I’ve answered there now.

No probs - and I've just answered over there as well.

13 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

When you start the mission, you can select whether or not you are carrying bombs.

Check the loadout.

Loadout tab does not show at all in campaign missions.

7 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

A patch for this has been created and should be published soon, apologies for this slipping under the radar.

Thank you very much for this! There is another problem with this campaign: although briefing text states that the player's character is now a schwarm leader, schwarm doesn't seem to be following the player's plane, but flying along their own course instead.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dornil said:

There is another problem with this campaign: although briefing text states that the player's character is now a schwarm leader, schwarm doesn't seem to be following the player's plane, but flying along their own course instead.

Sounds like you've encountered the same issue as Semor76.

On 8/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, Semor76 said:

22 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

meplanes1969

Just a simple one,I’ve finished the first campaign desert hawks and I enjoyed it.

in future campaigns can we have some sort of pilot record ( how many and what planes,ground objects etc we have shot down )

even a medal or two

• Like 2

Not applicable to proper single or campaign missions but... the quick missions, it would be nice to have:

- A quick mission highlighting long range air-combat over water with the Ju-88C vs. Beaufighter (and/or Blenheim IVF)

- A quick mission that involves interdicting and shooting up a convoy of fuel trucks/supplies. The current anti-vehicle quick missions are focused on armour.

- Quick missions with more varied strafing targets - such as small ships or forward airfields.

- A biplane focused dogfight mission with only 1935-1938 aircraft (e.g. Blenheim I for the AI)!

A handful of additional quick missions would allow highlighting some of the more unusual aircraft in the new release!

It would also be nice to have a couple of Channel map quick missions for the new aircraft - for instance, a free-flight mission for the Bf-108 over France.

16 hours ago, meplanes1969 said:

Just a simple one,I’ve finished the first campaign desert hawks and I enjoyed it.

in future campaigns can we have some sort of pilot record ( how many and what planes,ground objects etc we have shot down )

even a medal or two

Hi meplanes1969 - thanks for the feedback and good to know you enjoyed Desert Hawks.

re future campaigns - i will add it to the list of suggestions for future features. I dont know how easy / hard this might be to implement and cant guarantee it will be done.  But at least its now on the books and will at least be considered by the development team at some stage.

Thanks

Ezzie

5 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Not applicable to proper single or campaign missions but... the quick missions, it would be nice to have:

- A quick mission highlighting long range air-combat over water with the Ju-88C vs. Beaufighter (and/or Blenheim IVF)

- A quick mission that involves interdicting and shooting up a convoy of fuel trucks/supplies. The current anti-vehicle quick missions are focused on armour.

- Quick missions with more varied strafing targets - such as small ships or forward airfields.

- A biplane focused dogfight mission with only 1935-1938 aircraft (e.g. Blenheim I for the AI)!

A handful of additional quick missions would allow highlighting some of the more unusual aircraft in the new release!

It would also be nice to have a couple of Channel map quick missions for the new aircraft - for instance, a free-flight mission for the Bf-108 over France.

Hi Avimimus,

Thanks for the ideas and this is exactly what we are after in terms of developing new quick mission content - thanks. 

I've added them to the list and the mission builders will take a look and see what they can do.  I built a Bloody Biscay campaign over at Mission4Today (based on Chris Goss' great book) many years ago so might even dust off the old mission designs from that campaign (or re-read Chris' book) and build the Ju-88C v Beaufighter one myself.  Lots of fun to be had doing heavy fighter combat!

Thanks

Ezzie

• Thanks 1

meplanes1969

Destarsoft did some good campaigns but I think they went out of business,I did play a few sample missions and it looked good,I think it only works with older versions of cliffs of Dover.

maybe you can get the code from the company and implement it into the game.

i wonder if people would pay for a campaign add on.

i have put my gunnery on easy settings as I get better I will put it back to realistic,having fun

• Like 1

I would pay for something like PWCG or IL2 DCG. It doesn´t have to be an in-game campaign generator. Even WOFF (which is the best IMO) is a separate application that interfaces with CS3.

Edited by BB5000
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BB5000 said:

I would pay for something like PWCG or IL2 DCG. It doesn´t have to be an in-game campaign generator. Even WOFF (which is the best IMO) is a separate application that interfaces with CS3.

We are working on a Campaign Generator.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

Thanks for that.  I've flown a few missions in the Desert Hawks and would love to fly various Spits campaigns over Tobruk .

• Upvote 1

Just to let you all know, I am currently working on some quick missions on the Tobruk map with help from Ezzie.

Avimimus, I have taken note of your suggested quick missions and will produce some for you. Again I'm just getting myself back up to speed on the COD Mission builder, which is very good in some ways and problematic in others. It was good to here that Buzzsaw is working on a Campaign Generator.

DFLion

20200805105538_1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

easterling77
9 hours ago, DFLion said:

Just to let you all know, I am currently working on some quick missions on the Tobruk map with help from Ezzie.

Avimimus, I have taken note of your suggested quick missions and will produce some for you. Again I'm just getting myself back up to speed on the COD Mission builder, which is very good in some ways and problematic in others. It was good to here that Buzzsaw is working on a Campaign Generator.

DFLion

20200805105538_1.jpg

excellent🙌

On 8/10/2020 at 5:40 AM, meplanes1969 said:

Destarsoft did some good campaigns but I think they went out of business,I did play a few sample missions and it looked good,I think it only works with older versions of cliffs of Dover.

Yes Desastersoft equipe was disbanded and the enterprise sold for a guy not involved with games, programming, who continue sell the campaign's "as is" for a while.

They work in Blitz (4.5) with a fix made by ATAG-Colander, so they are likely to work in 5.0 with this fix.

Edited by Sokol1

On 8/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, Buzzsaw said:

Thanks! Any thoughts on release timeframe at this point?

would be great to fly some Cannon armed spitfire And hurri campaign missions