New Skin Naming System

Sorry had to start new thread to get poll to reset

•  

S! All !

the major outcome of the meeting was , and i agree ,the skin situation in Flying Circus is a mess, and can not be fixed with the present bundle system.

the three major areas that a new system has to address is, a quick and reliable system of keeping skins up to date with new skins and modifications to old skins. A way of everyone knowing what skins they can use to fly or that are personal skins, and last to give people an idea what skin it is.

Complex problem, but there is a solution, but it all revolves around getting an agreed upon skin naming system.

All historical skins would have all info of the plane starting with the plane model prefix, AD5, FDR1, FD7, FD7F, PD3a, HCL2, HCL2au, SC, S13, SD, SE5, BF2BF2, BF2BF3.

next the Jasta or Squadron, then pilots name if knows, if not then just unknown,  then anything you want to add like date of plane ect. and finally the skin creator name.

so all historical skins look like the following :

AD5_J11_Richthofen_DEC17_the_dude

Personal skins for Squadrons can be names how the squadron wants, but needs a "V" prefix to indicate they are not to be flown.

Personal skins that are not also a squadron skin should have a "Z" prefix.

Fantacy flyable skins should have a "Y" prefix.

Flyable Post WW1 and WW1 aircraft from nations not involved in ww1, use a "X" prefix.

if skin creators would use this system, it would mean that the skin is ready to use, as soon as it is made. i do not expect skin creators to have to go back in history and change all the names of skins to this format, if excepted by the community, i can do all the work of bringing the names up to the new naming system and will send the skin creator there renamed old skins. if this system is excepted, and new skins follow this naming system, i can  post skins almost immediately on a weekly basis.

i know this is a lot to ask but the FC Skin system needs to change i think we can all agree on that.

This is only my suggestion, any others that will work are welcome. ill put my suggestion to a vote above.

thanks all 

S!

stay safe

paul

Edited by GCF
Small correction to V for virtual squadrons, and Z for personal
  • Like 1

Paul, I do not have access to my desktop, but I think its wise to keep the name from the skin the same as the ingame mapname. If you all ready did that, then forgot my remark. 

Revision numbers, as I know the guys from j5 did sometimes introduce revision skins in RoF.  

Early and late German crosses, we have skins on which the only difference is the cross painting. 

Just a small remark from a FC non skinner. I voted yes btw. 

All historical skins would have all info of the plane starting with the plane model prefix, AD5, FDR1, FD7, FD7F, PD3a, HCL2, HCL2au, SC, S13, SD, SE5, BF2BF2, BF2BF3.

next the Jasta or Squadron, then pilots name if knows, if not then just unknown,  then anything you want to add like date of plane ect. and finally the skin creator name.

so all historical skins look like the following

AD5_J11_Richthofen_DEC17_the_dude

I tended to be loath to include my name on the skins, as though am blowing my own trumpet, though that does ensure skins names remain unique despite names becoming otherwise similar. So alright. Gather the manner in which the squadron, associated pilot and anything else is written is up to the creator then? Just so long as they adhere to "type plane squadron pilot anything creator" order?

And what's the reason behind having all those underscores in that example? What is the purpose behind their inclusion? 🤮 Are they required or can I choose to not include them on mine?

Personal skins for Squadrons can be names how the squadron wants, but needs a "Z" prefix to indicate they are not to be flown.

Personal skins that are not also a squadron skin should have a "ZZZ" prefix.

Fantacy flyable skins should have a "Y" prefix.

Flyable Post WW1 and WW1 aircraft from nations not involved in ww1, use a "X" prefix.

I'm curious about the differentiation between the first three. Can you explain those a little further.

Presume your talking about virtual squadrons versus non virtual squadrons for the first two? Does that not introduce the issue where some skins might need to have their filenames changed at some point? When someone has an personal skin based upon an historical squadron, and then creates/joins an virtual squadron based on that same historical squadron, the prefix then needing to change from ZZZ to just Z?

Edited by Oliver88

Hi just did underscore to show  different sections of the example, spaces will do, yes only for historical skins need plane model, squadron, then pilot, after that its up to creators choise,  skin creators name is important for multiple skin posts, also credit is due, you all work so hard on skins.

"Z" skins are for virtual squadrons, personal skins made for say J5, J2 , US103 , just to keep all non flyable virtual squadron skins together.

"ZZZ" prefix is for personal fantasy skins that are non flyable. like mine ZZZ GCF Camel

"Y" prefix is for fantasy skins that are made for anyone to fly. Like movie skins, or just pure fantasy skins.

i hope this makes more sense. the changing from ZZZ to Z classification, should not be a big problem as most people joining squadrons change the name of the file anyway by adding the unit tag to the file name.

4 hours ago, szelljr said:

...lol, i love to make skins ,but i hate to give a name....I am a very messy guy:lol: . J5 ?? J18?? J234?? i dont no,i dont care....hi hi hi hi hi .

if you really do not want to do the research, i understand, but would you let me do the research for you and just add in the jasta or squadron, the historical skins  need this type of structure to make work easier in single player campaigns, so when people fly in them, skins can be used for specific enemy planes and in any other projects in the future.

I see, understood correct then.

33 minutes ago, GCF said:

the changing from ZZZ to Z classification, should not be a big problem as most people joining squadrons change the name of the file anyway by adding the unit tag to the file name

You see now I thought that doing exactly that was meant to a problem. As meant everyone with the renamed skins needed to search through their skin folders and manual delete the skins that are using the previous filenames. And something to be avoided if possible due to the hassle it causes everyone etc. Was there an idea brought up in the conference on how to better handle such file renames or deletions?

if you would like me to change names i can at this point but due to the way skins work once the bundle is realesed it is almost impossable, hope this helps.

Also do the virtual squadrons skins not tend to be kept close together among the other personal skins anyway due to such unit tags being included on the filename anyway?

52 minutes ago, GCF said:

if you really do not want to do the research, i understand, but would you let me do the research for you and just add in the jasta or squadron, the historical skins  need this type of structure to make work easier in single player campaigns, so when people fly in them, skins can be used for specific enemy planes and in any other projects in the future.

...i voted yes. BTW when i make a skin believe me i make a lot research, but i am interested on "visual historical" side , not using for any campaigns , so this why i  giving some times so easy(stupid😊) names for my skins  "FOKKER D VII BOWKE", "SE5A_B189"...:salute:. Thank you for your work.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, szelljr said:

...i voted yes. BTW when i make a skin believe me i make a lot research, but i am interested on "visual historical" side , not using for any campaigns , so this why i  giving some times so easy(stupid😊) names for my skins  "FOKKER D VII BOWKE", "SE5A_B189"...:salute:. Thank you for your work.

sorry no offence meant, i know all skin creators do alot of research , sorry for the comment. it was not meant in a bad way.

34 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

I see, understood correct then.

You see now I thought that doing exactly that was meant to a problem. As meant everyone with the renamed skins needed to search through their skin folders and manual delete the skins that are using the previous filenames. And something to be avoided if possible due to the hassle it causes everyone etc. Was there an idea brought up in the conference on how to better handle such file renames or deletions?

Also do the virtual squadrons skins not tend to be kept close together among the other personal skins anyway due to such unit tags being included on the filename anyway?

Yes the problem of skins renaming will cause problems, as the skins are out there already, so the plan is if we can get enough people to follow a common naming system, from now on forward, it would really help, with the log jam of skins, with this system all the info of the skin is already there in the name, so can be bundle once a month or every two weeks, new files can be added straight away, and plane modifications can be done the same. as for old skins, most will just need a prefix change, others will have to be renamed, to fit the new system, the skin creators can do it themselves or i could do it for them with there consent and send them the renamed files.

it was discussed about how we bring all the different computers out there up to date when the old skins are renamed, and the only way is to kindly ask everyone to at some point in the future, once the complete renamed bundle is ready and contains all the FC skins that have been produced, to date, that they delete the specific skin folders for FC and then install the new bundle. unfortunately its the only way. people are free no to do so but action has to be taken soon as fc had 5gb of skins in the first bundle, but now its about 15 to 20 gb of skins.

i am only making suggestions, because the skin system in FC is in a mess, and will only become worse the more skins there are , its already a nightmare, if anyone has a better plan im all ears.

sorry just a thought there is an easyer way of deleteing files contained in the bundle once all skins are ready i will make a deletion bundle with all the old files and folders, so a person can download it and copy it into there specific skin folder , the pc will ask if you want to replace these files and then they will all be highlighted in the folder then they can just right click on any of the files that are highlighted and delete the batch of files.

24 minutes ago, GCF said:

sorry just a thought there is an easyer way of deleteing files contained in the bundle once all skins are ready i will make a deletion bundle with all the old files and folders, so a person can download it and copy it into there specific skin folder , the pc will ask if you want to replace these files and then they will all be highlighted in the folder then they can just right click on any of the files that are highlighted and delete the batch of files.

Ah bugger well done that's a good simple obvious solution! 👍

27 minutes ago, GCF said:

sorry no offence meant, i know all skin creators do alot of research , sorry for the comment. it was not meant in a bad way.

Nothing bad  in your comment.  All fine here. :salute:.

I dont know mush about og and how it working ....but the 3 parti program that correspand with skin file map and change files automatically .....Like in box 

Then ppl don't have to do it manually ..... Life go on and ppl don't do it 

Edited by Niiranen-VR
4 hours ago, szelljr said:

I totally understand your dilemma szeljr, and none of us in the community who enjoy your work really want to slow you down with the technical details of a lot of this stuff. One of my goals is making sure that all the relevant skins that are created, are organized and included in any historical campaigns or events (like PWCG, or if we ever have a FC career mode in the future) and I especially don't want any of the fine skins that you and others create to fall through the cracks and become forgotten. Also, with better skin organization, it will reduce the odds that someone will waste their time creating a skin that already exists and is well received by the community. I am trying to assist Paul in making sure we get all historical skins accounted for and I'm basically using the Rise of Flight skin inventory as a check system. Nearly all historical skins that have been created for FC have a RoF counterpart and I would most likely use that as a basis for what the FC name should be.

Bottom line, if skin creators don't mind their historical skins (potentially) being renamed, we will worry about all the details and get everything sorted out.

Edit: and @GCF I am a little worried about the skin creator suffix being added to every historical skin. I'm concerned about the length of some of these names. If we really want to do this, I feel like it needs to be limited to something like 3 characters for each creator. Maybe the creators initials, whatever designation he wishes. Just a thought ...

Edited by the_dudeWG

I'm on board. I just started 'in-house testing' the new 3rd P.G skins with the X_ prefix for semi-historical unit skins, and we just switched from Z_ , so I'll have to get that sorted and make sure everybody's on the same page before releasing them. Cheers! 

I would maybe look at changing some of the aircraft prefixes to be just a little more clear. I think F2b and F2b_F3 might be better for the Bristol, and CL2 / CL2_au_ for the Halbies, and maybe Spad13_ and Dolphin_ for those planes (it took me a moment to figure out SD = Sopwith Dolphin) 

Otherwise, looks good! 

Edited by US93_Larner

V for Virtual Squadron Personals? Z for Regular Personals?

8 hours ago, GCF said:

3 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Bottom line, if skin creators don't mind their historical skins (potentially) being renamed, we will worry about all the details and get everything sorted out.

If your needing to get information for any Camels send us a private message with the serial numbers as have a copy of The Camel File by Ray Sturtivant. The histories tend to include where known the dates (or rough dates) the machine was at various units, any claims and crashes for the machine and etc, and tends to include the person associated with those claims or crashes etc. So can look them up for you.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Like 1

Thanks, @Oliver88 I will definitely keep that in mind.

I like the “V” prefix idea for squadron skins. Mostly because they will list alphabetically before all of the personal and non WWI skins, which I’m sure squadron skin creators will find helpful. 

I've voted yes although I think adding the creators name isnt necessary.

Thinking about what Oliver88 said, perhaps we could create a group of people with access to reference material. That way, if someone doesnt know what squadron/pilot etc. is connected to their skin, they can ask and get more info.

hi im fine with a V prefix idea and the naming of plane model to be longer, the main thing is that we get some common naming system. what that naming system is does not matter to much as long as every one agrees, as skin creators you all have a better idea than me how you would like skins named, we just need some common naming system, what that system is is up to you all to agree to between yourselves.

Edited by GCF

I renamed the brownish version of my Camels according to the new naming conventions and it seems very sound, even clever to use it. Yet, I also don't feel the urge to append my name to the skins. But this can be usefull, especially if different guys submit their version of one specific plane.

Thanks for your efforts to get this mess sorted out!

S!

• Thanks 1

Paul, lets go with “Z” prefix for personal skins, and “V” for virtual squadron skins. X and Y for the other 2 categories you listed. If you agree, maybe you can update the OP to reflect those changes.

For the skin creator suffix, you should probably PM each creator and ask if they want their name included and what designation they would prefer (encourage them to keep it brief).  Cheers!

Edited by the_dudeWG
4 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Paul, lets go with “Z” prefix for personal skins, and “V” for virtual squadron skins. X and Y for the other 2 categories you listed. If you agree, maybe you can update the OP to reflect those changes.

For the skin creator suffix, you should probably PM each creator and ask if they want their name included and what designation they would prefer (encourage them to keep it brief).  Cheers!

Are all skin creators up for this proposal ?

• Upvote 2

Well, I think there are two different questions that need to be answered by most, if not ALL skin creators:

A) Do you agree to the new naming system? (a question that should also have support from the majority of the users that bother to respond)

B) Do you want your name included on your historical skins, and if so, how would you like it to appear? (trying to keep it brief)

So, my official votes are: A) Yes B) No, I’ll leave my name off if that’s an option. 

2 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Well, I think there are two different questions that need to be answered by most, if not ALL skin creators:

A) Do you agree to the new naming system? (a question that should also have support from the majority of the users that bother to respond)

B) Do you want your name included on your historical skins, and if so, how would you like it to appear? (trying to keep it brief)

So, my official votes are: A) Yes B) No, I’ll leave my name off if that’s an option. 

I could go either way on this. I used to wonder, in RoF, who made some of the skins that I particularly liked. I don't think it's a necessity but just a "nice to have" option. I'll vote NO as that option sounds just like that.... an option to use your name or not!

thank you for all your interest and support, i do believe we need to include creator names , to let people know who made the skin, if they like a certain skin creator work it would be easy to follow that skin creators thread, making skins is hard work, why not put your name to it, solver the problem of multiple skins for the same plan, does not have to be a name just some identifier, .

last vote on specifics, 

skin creator name or not ( please suggest a different way of dealing with a single plane multi skins, if you vote no as i can not think of any.

what abrieviations you want for two seat planes

what abrivation you want for Dolphin , Spad/

its only a 3 day vote. but should lock down specifics and get things rolling.

thanks again 

paul

Sorry had to start new thread to get poll to reset

Yeah, I think adding the creator's name should be optional. Will also save some confusion in regards to historically-named skin makers such as myself and J5_Rumey. We have a historical Larner skin in the 3rd PG pack, with the name being "Spad13 US103 Larner". Could be confusing if you started seeing: 

Spad13 US103 Hunter US93_Larner
Spad13 US103 Larner US93_Larner
Spad13 US103 Frost US93_Larner 

Or, 

AD5 J5 Koennecke J5_Rumey
AD5 J5 Baeumer J5_Rumey 
AD5 J5 Muller J5_Rumey

Etc etc...

Also just seems a little clunky to me. 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1

Hi all they voting on the new structure and naming system has been decided on to stream line the skin naming and distribution of skins, thank you all for your interest and vote.

the new system is :

Historical skins  ( These skins can be flown by everyone)

start with plane designations

Central Planes

AD5 for Albatros 

FDR1 for Fokker DR1

FD7 for Fokker D7

FD7F for Fokker D7F

PD3a For Pfalz D3a

CL2  for Halberstadt CL2

CL2_au  for HalberstadtCL2au

Entente Planes

SC for Sopwith Camel

Dolphin  for Sopwith Dolphin 

Spad13  for Spad 13 

Se5a for Se5a

F2b for BristolF2BF2

F2b_F3 for BristolF2BF2 

next would be the Squadron Or Jasta the plane belongs to if not known please just put in Unknown.

next the Pilots name.

Any things you want to mention after that is up to you, you can add a skin creators name , or not you choose.

Virtual Squadron Skins ( only to be flown by the Squadron Member and is a personal skin)

Should start with a V prefix, after the prefix is up to you.

Flyable Post WW1 and WW1 aircraft from nations not involved in WW1 ( These skins can be flown by everyone)

Should start with a X prefix, after the prefix is up to you.

Fantasy flyable skins ( These skins can be flown by everyone)

Should start with a Y prefix, after the prefix is up to you.

Personal Skins 

Should start with a Z prefix, after the prefix is up to you.

Thanks again for your interest and support, no skins will be lost or removed until it is in with new name structure.

thanks

S!

paul