Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 249 - Discussion

Happy May Day to everyone!  Here is a short video showing you our new instrument glass reflections, canopy reflections and external skin reflections. The cockpit reflections can be set to either High, Low or Off. In the video they are set to High. Also, remember this is still a Work In Progress. Final result may vary.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10
  • Upvote 5

Looking forward to that update. Great work. When is it due?

Just now, Hopper64 said:

Looking forward to that update. Great work. When is it due?

A couple/few weeks. Just depends on how fast we can get the reflections added.

Jason

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 2

Really nice DD 😄 Can't wait to see this ingame

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jason_Williams said:

A couple/few weeks. Just depends on how fast we can get the reflections added.

Jason

Thanks. Wonderful!!

Does this mean, the game switch to deferred shading in the next update?

• Upvote 2

Am I nuts in thinking that those annoying scratches all over the canopies are now gone?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Really nice to see this. Looking forward.

Great to see it in motion. It's really better than just pics. Nice work, can't wait to have it!

Awesome!! That glass looks great!! And love the exterior for the jug!! Thanks team!! 🙌

P-47 reflections look great externally. Seeing the screenshots from a few weeks back I didn't see much of a difference. But in motion it looks great and more realistic! Well done!

That will be stunning in VR. Very very looking forward to it.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Am I nuts in thinking that those annoying scratches all over the canopies are now gone?

Exactly my thoughts.  That video looked fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Getting better and better. Wonderful!

• Upvote 1

Great stuff. You mentioned three a/c in the video, can I safely presume it'll be done for all others as well?

Looking really good inside with all of the reflections. THANK THE GOOD LORD YOUR GUYS HAVE FINALLY TAKEN THAT WATER WET LOOK OFF OF THE WINGS. Really nice work, THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER! Thank you Team! In the rain, maybe the wet look would still be good, but this change has needed to be made for so long that I had lost hope that it would ever get done.  Speaking of things that need to get done. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, with all respect for the team and you Jason, I am not criticizing here, but please make the AI try to run when severely damaged and make them stop following the player to his Aerodrome, only to die. Most are not going to fight to the death as the AI does now. Very unrealistic and very close to a SP game breaker. Love what the Team is doing. Keep up the great work.

S!Blade<><

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

the reflections look awesome!!!

One thing is bothering me though, they look perfectly smooth without any imperfection in the glass itself.

Can´t wait to see how it looks in the 190 D9 where the glass looks phenomenally realistic even now! 

Edited by So_ein_Feuerball

That's again some more nice progression.

Looking forward to the update.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

I'm glad to see that the effect can be turned up or turned off based on performance. I really hope to be able to run it on High but if not I'm glad to see that there's at least an option to tune it to the computer's performance.

Looks gorgeous.

Along with the shadows and atmospherics, absolutely top shelf flightsim eye-candy.

Looking good! Can't wait to see these in game!

It's amazing how much more realistic it looks with just those subtle effects. This game keeps getting better and better!

Love the news & look forward to the next update.

I also liked the new Flying Circus video.It was almost as much fun as I have in game, but I’m wondering if it might indicate that the tweets suggested here & elsewhere might be coming down the line.As fun & beautiful as FC is it could use some TLC...and a Campaign’Career generator...sooner than later...

• Upvote 1

Very Cool detail.

Just a quick question. I know the "pilot" is not in the cockpit, but is it possible ti simulate a pilot's reflection? I am guessing that is something that would happen. 

????

• Upvote 3

The NMF looked very realistic. The canopies and instruments look much improved.

Excellent shot on the enemy A/C btw.

@Jason_Williams

Hi Jason, just a quick question, what were the Graphics Settings you were using for the video?

I ask because I noticed also that the forests, terrain and cities were looking much nicer than current High / Ultra settings in Il2.

The video look was a huge improvement on current and the internal and external plane views were wonderfully more life like.

• Upvote 1

Just a friendly suggestion to DEVS:

Maybe you could release the reflections only for BOBP planes first (or BOM, BOS, BOK), so we don't have to wait until they are all finished.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

The reflections look very good. :good: What would make the inside the cockpit a lot more natural would be a more intense shadows. 

Congrats on the removal of that gloss from the skins. It's something that annoyed me since ROF days. The skin on that P-47 looks awesome.

I guess this is a result of introducing deferred shaders. 

Do you have any plans to update a bit the general lighting engine with this new method?  When DCS implemented deferred shaders, their game general lighting turned from MEH to WOW.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I was thinking the same, that was my first thought.

Nice update

Now I got the urge flying the JUG

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Very , very pretty. Well done.

However I would love to see some graphical design hours go into an A20 nose position, and some form of navigators map where you can 'draw' on a map; be it just generic for all aircraft, or lovingly created as the relevant table or knees etc. 

I understand the need to keep things cutting edge in the graphics, but anything that adds to things to do other than throttle up and peow peow is golden for me.

100% behind the comment above on making the AI disenage too. Especially with the new damage model, it is creating some pretty annoying scenarios where a dieing aircraft can finish you off because it couldn't give a fig about its own life but you are trying to limp the kms to the front line.

I'd add in getting your wingmen to realise something is 'good as dead' too, as they often have better things to be doing than attacking my kill as it is finally going down, like clearing the one of my 6. (Yes I know there's a valid point about making sure things are dead, but any SP player must surely know what I mean).

The devteam sure likes their job.

Those sweet reflections and the metal finish on the Jug sure would look perfect on a MiG-15 and the F-86.

Just saying :)

• Upvote 1