Han

Developer Diary 248 - Discussion

Just now, Han said:
Hello everybody,

After releasing the update 4.005 last week we continued on polishing it, addressing the issues that were found after the public release. We hope to release another hotfix tomorrow that will improve the public version stability. Of course, the work on the next update is being done in parallel - for instance, the new heavy assault gun SU-152 for Tank Crew project will be finished soon.

We would like to emphasize that many things that were done for Tank Crew also improve the aircraft - for example, the Tank Crew separate animations tech and the new models of the Soviet and German pilots that are being created using it for BoS, BoM and BoK allow us to put American and British pilots into the lend-lease planes.

In addition, the same approach will allow having a correct visual model depending on the timeframe: Soviet pilots will appear in correct summer uniforms depending on the mission date

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Awesome! A lot of people will be happy about swapping pilots!

Edited by Danziger
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Looking great, as always!

@Han, @-DED-Rapidus, just please remember that, when setting up the German pilot model for 1944-45, the yellow "Deutsche Luftwaffe" armband was not implemented until 29 December 1944.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 1

Wonderful news !

I really hope that we will also see the right bomber crews for our aircraft 😄 That would be awesome ;)

Great job, I am loving the new DM, a consultation,
 in the future we will be able to see inside the cabin the body of the pilot?
 It would be very immersive for those of us who fly in VR and we would take advantage of this 100% character modeling.
 Greetings to the entire Il2 team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Upon reading the latest dev diary, Tommy spat out his tea and cackled with excitement.

Fantastic news, can't wait to see the Johnny Red campaigns which will get made out of this when the Hurricane is out!

Will there be USAF pilots for the Spitfire too?

I know we have some default skins for the IX and V in American Mediterranean liveries.

Great news! Can't wait to fly over the Channel with a Mk.V too! lots of possibilites and historical accuracy as it should be.

Kudos team!

With the pilot's being swapped out, will the ordinance also switched to fit the nation the aircraft is flying under? 

Wow exellent News.

Nice update, 

those pics look scarely good!

Cheers

When, we get a handgun...will we also be able to exit the plane on the ground and run around with it? 🤔

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

This all sounds super interesting! When you say that the pilot nationality will be up to the ‘author’ of the mission, does that the option to choose the pilot nationality in the QMB and career modes? I don’t  overly mind either way, but I am intrigued. 😁

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Have you guys considered giving the Spitfire Mk Vb the Merlin 45M so we can have some LF Mk Vb action?

Would make the Mk Vb more competitive for earlier missions on the channel front using the RAF Pilot and another reason for people to buy this plane! 

Edited by So_ein_Feuerball
  • Upvote 2

I love your work guys, but I was expecting something related visibility issues and deferred shading :( looks like I will have to keep waiting for a while

Posted (edited)

Hand weapons!

How cool it would be if bailed-out pilots began their separate FPS game upon hitting the ground!

EDIT: how even cooler if they landed on PHOBOS and nothing less than DOOM started running. #itcanbedone #il2+doomcrossover2020

Edited by danielprates

I would guess if one steps outside the cockpit via VR you'll really be able to see the new costume changes closeup.....nifty!

KCSKMAPT4UYDPGSCSRKR7XPR3M.jpg

Question about something

This means that soon you'll be able to witness RAF and Soviet pilots in Spitfire Mk.V and Spitfire Mk.IX and RAF, USAF and Soviet ones in P-40E, P-47D and B-25D (according to what country is specified in the mission file by its author)."

Will these be achievable only in ME, or will it also be achievable in QMB?

Other than that, Fantastico!

This sim just keeps better and better, keep it up!!!

great news, (just a bit concerned if folks in mp want to pratice their aim with luger before takeoff) lol

• Like 1

That big gun thingy is one dangerous looking brute. One again, well done devs, you all is da greatest eber peoples.

The Beast Slayer is is looking cool. Very much looking forward to seeing how it's executed in game. Very very much looking forward to firing that big gun :biggrin:

As for the pilot switching option, that's really awesome news.

RAF pilots flying the Spitfire VB, P40, P51 B/C/D and A20, VVS pilots flying the Huricane II, Spitfire IXE and B25, USAAF pilots flying the P39, P40 and Spitfire VB. What is not to like?!?

Legends :salute:

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Very nice!

Talking about animation tech you might want to have a look into flying circus gunner models because they have a very stuttery animation when controlled by a player and moving around.

Not sure if that issue is flying circus specific.

Thanks guys and take care!

PS will we be able to see our own pilot model and shadows?

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

PS will we be able to see our own pilot model and shadows?

And arms and legs :crazy:

Great DD guys. Thanks.

edit: didn’t see and     lol

Edited by rowdyb00t

And we plan to give all the WWII-era pilots hand weapons as a final touch in this department.

1104651133_potshots.png.b632cdec6a574cc6bb2f000d7f0f0dfd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you Han for another interesting Developer Diary entry - and thanks to the whole development team for their hard work in these difficult times!

A question I have regarding the ability to change out pilots in single player - would this mean that the radio communications (pilot to pilot - airfield to pilot) would also be changed to the nationality of the selected pilot? (RAF - English, USAAF - American English, VVS - Russian).

Han, is there a place to report TC errors? 

There is an issue with AI being able to see through vegetation that has been there for a long time. It would be really nice if it is possible to get an update as to if/when this issue will be able to be fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I must admit, I am tempted by TC and was hoping the recent voucher promotional discounts would apply to it. Alas not. Because the USD to AUD price conversion is so bad, it makes TC petty expensive and having paid my dues with early access and founder payments for most of the other content, I think this is one where I will take advantage of all the discounts that will be offered after release (along with BON).

But boy, the tanks look great and I think running them in VR would be a blast.

• Upvote 1

This means that soon you'll be able to witness RAF and Soviet pilots in Spitfire Mk.V and Spitfire Mk.IX and RAF, USAF and Soviet ones in P-40E, P-47D and B-25D (according to what country is specified in the mission file by its author).

Will you also add generic skins for these nations to the planes? From a mission/campaign designers point of view a wider selection of generic skins would be very useful. Both for different nations but also for different regions, for example German western front skins for the Bf-109G6, Fw-190A5 or Ju-88, without the yellow eastern front fuselage band.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BazzaLB said:

I must admit, I am tempted by TC and was hoping the recent voucher promotional discounts would apply to it. Alas not. Because the USD to AUD price conversion is so bad, it makes TC petty expensive and having paid my dues with early access and founder payments for most of the other content, I think this is one where I will take advantage of all the discounts that will be offered after release (along with BON).

But boy, the tanks look great and I think running them in VR would be a blast.

In the same boat mate :) can’t wait to get it one day when I find some extra cash. I understand that the devs/company also need to cover their costs. The videos looks awesome! 

Do AAA guns would have also visible shells instade unrealistic tracers ? And if yes , aeroplane might be hit by passing shell or player can see how particular shell  slows down on top height of it trajectory ?

On top of that I would be great if this real life fact as passing shell could shake light airplane midair, like pressings it down when passing above or balloon  up airplane when flying below, could be implemented.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Some months ago I said it and now I say it again. The only reasonable point that I can see in developing such beautiful pilot models is if the Devs are planning to implement the Pilot in Cockpit in the near future.

Right now, you can only see the pilot sitting and almost hidden in his cockpit in external views and the pilot hanging from a parachute.

I just don't see the logical reason in so much effort unless .... 

In TC you are able to see the crew so why not on the planes?

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

AAA guns would have also visible shells instade unrealistic tracers ?

I think that that was what was implied when they said all guns over 45mm that historically didn't have tracers would have a visible shell!