Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SPine

HP Reverb - Multiple issues

Recommended Posts

Guest SPine
Posted (edited)

Hi,

 

I am a new IL-2 user, installed the sim yesterday. 

 

I have spent hours in trying to get HP Reverb to work with IL-2, but have made very little progress. I feel the need to ask for help.

 

Here are the issues I am experiencing:

 

- The stereo vision feels somehow distorted. It is difficult to focus the eyes on anything. I have tried changing the IPD in mixed reality portal and using the in-game adjustment from -30 to +30 but can't seem to find a value that would let my eyes relax.

- The cockpit of Lagg-3 feels very large. Rudder pedals feel like 3-4 meters away.

- Lots of stuttering. More stuttering when turning the head, but also just when keeping the head still. I tried to turn down all the graphics settings, but this does not make any difference.

 

I am not having any of these problems when flying in X-Plane or Condor 2.

 

Here are my system specs:

i5-9600K @5GHz

RTX-2070 Super

HP Reverb

16 Gb RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (18363)

SteamVR 1.10.31

Revive 1.9.2.0 (For Condor 2)

 

How to troubleshoot this?

Edited by SPine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to IL*2 Great Battles.

 

Update Windows to ver 1909 to help with the stutters.

 

Lagg cockpit - You can adjust your seat position in the cockpit to change your point of view. You'll also want to offset the gun sight for VR. By default the crosshairs will be between your eyes. For VR you should shift left or right depending on your dominate eye. I aim with my right eye so I shift the crosshairs to the left of the gun sight. To adjust your seat position use the Delete, End, Page Up, Page Down, Home and Insert keys. Delete=Left, End=Right, Page Up=Up, Page Down=Down, Home+Back, Insert=Forward. I find it easier to make the adjustments in 2D and save changes. You should have a key mapped for Default VR View in Pilot Head Control settings. Start a Quick Mission and make adjustments then press F10 to save. When you press your key for Default VR view it will return you to this position.

 

I haven't experienced the double vision you mention but some people report a fish eye effect if HMD is set to 60 fps. Check your WMR Headset Display settings for Visuals=Very High (Beta), Resolution=Quality and Experience=90fps.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SPine

Thanks for the response!

 

My windows is 1909. 18363 is the build number.

 

I quickly found out how to adjust the head position, but that was not the problem. The problem was that the cockpit felt too large (as opposed to some people reporting it to be too small). After a couple of restarts of the computer this seems to have somewhat improved. I can now imagine that I could reach the rudder pedals while being able to look through the sight. However, the perspective is still strange in a way that is difficult to describe. When I look down to the rudder pedals and to the sides of the cockpit, they are like in "water", for a lack of a better term. Perhaps that is the fisheye effect. I will try how things look with 90Hz. I have been happy with 60Hz in other sims.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SPine
3 hours ago, SPine said:

Perhaps that is the fisheye effect. I will try how things look with 90Hz. I have been happy with 60Hz in other sims.

 

 

90Hz seems to improve the perspective! It also seems that now the in-game IPD adjustment also makes a notable difference and I can adjust the image so that my eyes do not hurt anymore. Thanks for the help!

 

The only thing that makes it unplayable now is the stuttering. I updated to latest NVIDIA drivers, but that did not make any difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to install Steam and then using it install "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" and then on its picture right-click "Properties" -> "BETAS" -> select "public beta".

Then inside this application's settings file ( in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings ) you should enable reprojection by making sure you have this exact uncommented line : motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

 

In my case it looks like this:

       

        //
        // Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection
        "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

        // Motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
        //     green = off because application can render at full framerate
        //     cyan  = on because application is cpu bound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SPine

Thanks for the tips! They are mostly familiar to me from my X-Plane setup. 

 

I am glad to report that I have now managed to launch the game many times in  a row without the stuttering. Flying has been very smooth and enjoyable (crashing the plane every time. Combat is hard for a GA pilot).

 

The problem was somehow related to SteamVR. I noticed similar stuttering also in Steam VR Home. I reinstalled SteamVR, restarted the computer, and plugged out both cables of the headset, disabled the HP Reverb in device manager and enabled it again. Started SteamVR Home, no stuttering. Started IL-2, no stuttering! I suspect that reconnecting the headset was important here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All

 

I'm also new to IL2 having used DCS for years in VR. Same setup as above almost with a HP Reverb.

 

I have it running at 90Hz with good frames and no stutter with reprojection Fixed ON ander WMR for Steam VR. The main issue is this fisheye effect I can't seem to fix.

It is both in the Hanger Menu and in the Cockpit.  I've tried everything I can think of from moving from 60Hz to 90Hz reprojection Off, Enabled and Fixed ON. My IPD is set correctly and have no issues in DCS. I have tried playing with the in game IPD adjustments and it doesn't help the fisheye effect. i've deleted setting.cfg and tried matching res with my monitor and fullscreen.

 

I've searched and notice this has been an issue previously buy fixed with a hotfix? I'm using steam v 4.007c

 

Any ideas?

 

My system:

 

i9-9900KF @5GHz

RTX-2080 Super

HP Reverb

32 Gb RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (19041.329)

SteamVR 1.12.5

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don´t know what that fish eye effect shall be in a Reverb, I never had such kind of effect.

Since yesterday I have a much bigger problem with my Reverb. I get black screens all the time when moving my head and I know what that is………….it must be a broken cable……..AGAIN.

This time my cable did last for 10 months with no issue. My first Reverb lasted only 4 days when the cable and or connection broke, causing black screens.

Now my second Reverb did work for 10 months. A friend of mine got black screens due to a broken cable after 7 months of usage. He got a new cable from HP and it works again.

I did contact HP today and I am waiting what kind of solution they will come up with.

 

Any others here with the same cable problems?

Edited by spitfirejoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok Thanks, I was trying 90Hz, got it to work by cycling the WMR resolution to best Quality, to performance and back to best quality. Running well now. who knows. I'm getting really good frames and it sure is beautiful! Now to map the controls and get flying. certainly some mapping to do!!

 

@spitfirejoe I had the same thing about 3 months ago. HP replaced my headset. It's not the cable it's internal to the HMD.No questions asked except for the punishing exchange on whatsapp help service HP use. Once I found the right person they changed it over in 3 days.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PeneCruz said:

Ok Thanks, I was trying 90Hz, got it to work by cycling the WMR resolution to best Quality, to performance and back to best quality. Running well now. who knows. I'm getting really good frames and it sure is beautiful! Now to map the controls and get flying. certainly some mapping to do!!

 

@spitfirejoe I had the same thing about 3 months ago. HP replaced my headset. It's not the cable it's internal to the HMD.No questions asked except for the punishing exchange on whatsapp help service HP use. Once I found the right person they changed it over in 3 days.

 

Thanks for your feedback about the Reverb damage. I am not sure if it is internal, I doubt it, because when I move the cable behind my head that black screens come and go. Looks to me like a contact problem inside the cable. I will try first a new cable, HP will ship one, if that doesn´t help I have to swap the whole package.

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

 

Thanks for your feedback About the Reverb damage. I am not sure if it is internal, I doubt it, because when I move the cable behind my head that black screens come and go, Looks to me like a contact Problem inside the cable. I will try first a new cable, HP will ship one, if that doesn´t help I have to swap the whole package.

 

Yeah mine was the same it was intermittent and I thought it was the cable problem like the original HMD. It then started not detecting the USB3 ports and got more and more intermittent. have you has the USB detection issues in WMR? You may be right, it's pretty disappointing though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PeneCruz said:

 

Yeah mine was the same it was intermittent and I thought it was the cable problem like the original HMD. It then started not detecting the USB3 ports and got more and more intermittent. have you has the USB detection issues in WMR? You may be right, it's pretty disappointing though.

 

Oh......now you may be correct. It all started last week or so. My HMD was not detected in USB many times...………….yes, same like yours. Always when I booted my PC the HMD was not detected. And now all those black screens.

Honestly, this kind of problem is due to the crappy cable built concept and that is the biggest thumb down coming with the Reverb.

As I said, first I will try a new cable once I got it, if that is no fix then I will change for a whole new set of HMD and cable. I hope I get the new cable quickly.

 

EDIT:

surprisingly…….after less than 24 Hours I got the new 4 meter cable shipped by HP ( very quick, so good job from the support though ). I checked it and must realize that PeneCruz is correct. It is not any problem with the cable, there must be something else, the black screens appear constantly also with the new cable.

HP will exchange my complete Reverb package with a new one. For me that is a very big downside that the Reverb Gen1 has such a bad build quality that it even does not last for 10 months…………..what when it brakes and the warranty is not valid anymore?

Now I know why HP sees itself forced to bring a Gen2 after 1 year already.

Edited by spitfirejoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I did was purchase a powered USB 3.0 hub for the Reverb to plug into before going into an onboard USB port, to ensure there was sufficient signal strength and connectivity with that very long cable, and avoid blackouts as are being described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a powered USB 3 hub, that is not my problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

 

Oh......now you may be correct. It all started last week or so. My HMD was not detected in USB many times...………….yes, same like yours. Always when I booted my PC the HMD was not detected. And now all those black screens.

Honestly, this kind of problem is due to the crappy cable built concept and that is the biggest thumb down coming with the Reverb.

As I said, first I will try a new cable once I got it, if that is no fix then I will change for a whole new set of HMD and cable. I hope I get the new cable quickly.

 

EDIT:

surprisingly…….after less than 24 Hours I got the new 4 meter cable shipped by HP ( very quick, so good job from the support though ). I checked it and must realize that PeneCruz is correct. It is not any problem with the cable, there must be something else, the black screens appear constantly also with the new cable.

HP will exchange my complete Reverb package with a new one. For me that is a very big downside that the Reverb Gen1 has such a bad build quality that it even does not last for 10 months…………..what when it brakes and the warranty is not valid anymore?

Now I know why HP sees itself forced to bring a Gen2 after 1 year already.

 

Yes it's a known issue with them I think, they asked for the serial number and when they had that they stopped trouble shooting and replaced the headset in 3 days, a guy actually turned up at my place and handed it to me. Just keep you headphones and cables, they only replaced the HMD unit! been working fine since. it's such a good picture just a shame about the reliability. maybe V2 will be better.

 

Sorry to hear the cable didn't fix the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks PeneCruz, I will see what HP sends me. The package is on it´s way already. HP support is at least the fastest I ever had, I like that.

I will be happy to get a new HMD which will last much longer hopefully.

I wish to know the real stats about broken Gen1 Reverbs and how many the had to exchange already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dreaded black screen has happened to my reverb this week also. Spoke to Hp this morning and they are sending new headset tomorrow (without cables or accessories)  no fault finding or questions asked. I've had mine for 9 months , hopefully this one will last longer but i am tempted to put it on ebay and wait for the g2 to arrive.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the support of HP is supreme. I got the new Headset in less than 20 hours.

I got a package purely with the HMD, no cables, no controllers and even no headphones attached.

The new Reverb I got has a different contrast and brightnes calibration. It has a slightly darker image and better colours.

It works perfect with no issues...…..maybe for another 10 months or so?!

 

I hope the Gen2 has better built quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes i agree i cannot fault the support, it was in the post within a few hours and hopefully will arrive today. They have also agreed to replace the cable if i still have a problem. Lets hope they last a bit longer , i still have 15 months warranty so I'm ok for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah I better try to flip mine to get the new one they are coming out with before my warranty goes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 12:53 AM, spitfirejoe said:

At least the support of HP is supreme. I got the new Headset in less than 20 hours.

I got a package purely with the HMD, no cables, no controllers and even no headphones attached.

The new Reverb I got has a different contrast and brightnes calibration. It has a slightly darker image and better colours.

It works perfect with no issues...…..maybe for another 10 months or so?!

 

I hope the Gen2 has better built quality.

Hi I just received my replacement today all working fine now and your right it does seem to have a darker image and better colours. I've found I can switch on hdr now , it always seemed a bit bright and washed out before.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shirazjohn said:

Hi I just received my replacement today all working fine now and your right it does seem to have a darker image and better colours. I've found I can switch on hdr now , it always seemed a bit bright and washed out before.

 

Yes, same here. Great yours is working again. Maybe I will buy a Gen2 once it is available, not 100% sure. I would also love to try a Pimax 8Kx with Dynamic Foveated Rendering.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...