Han

Developer Diary 240 - Discussion

2 minutes ago, Han said:

Hello everybody,

While working on the Normandy project and finishing Tank Crew, we never forget about the existing ones. Not only the most part of all the improvements we release in the updates are applicable for the simulated world as a whole, meaning they update all our theatres of war at once, but we update the content of the existing modules at every possibility as well. For instance, we'll be able to show you the first WIP screenshots of the new Soviet pilot soon. And in the next update, among many other things, you'll see two more aircraft updated to 4K texture quality standard.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Hurrah! My bleak Seattle morning has been brightened ( somewhat...) by this unexpected “Development”.Thanks!

Good to see some love for the Mig.

Can you tell a difference in VR , when using 4K skins?

Excellent job!

One request, guys, can you possibly fix the Flaps on Mig3?  Or if it doesn't need fixing offer some details on on why their operation changed drastically in 4.000 patch?  (i.e. the point of flap limiter if it's not limiting anything anymore?)

• Upvote 1

Its nice to see the older released aircraft get updated! The new Bodenplatte aircraft all look so good, now some of the old standbys will look just as good.

I have a soft spot for the MiG-3 too - of all the soviet fighters, it seems to have the most quirks and character to me. Even if my first love is the I-16.

• Upvote 3

Really appreciate the support that goes into older products in this sim. So many game developers make a thing, and then drop it because they want you to buy a new thing, or maybe they won't even finish making it, these days...

Great news. The skins look great. And I'm also looking forward to the WIP photos for the new 3D model!

Great news!

I do love how the older models are being re-done to a higher resolution, including the soviet pilot.

I'm very happy that the devs take care of the entire platform, not just the newer titles.

Above and beyond, excellent job!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Great news!

I do love how the older models are being re-done to a higher resolution, including the soviet pilot.

I'm very happy that the devs take care of the entire platform, not just the newer titles.

Above and beyond, excellent job!

+1000 on this. It’s the things like this that show the craftsmanship of this wonderful dev team! Thanks guys!! @ICDP and @BlackHellHound1 :salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Many thanks to IDCP and BlackHellHound1 for their beautiful work! Maintaining that constant trend towards greater detail and authenticity :salute:

I'm also thrilled to hear that we'll soon be joined by a new high-detail Soviet pilot. I presume that our new chap will be in early war battledress like his predecessor? Lets hope he will soon be joined by a lady pilot too :biggrin:

1 hour ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Can you tell a difference in VR , when using 4K skins?

Most definitely. Image in Reverb is so sharp and crisp, i can tell the difference at the first glance.

Once again I wish to thank the dev teams involved with this entire project as they continue to exemplify what I’ve experienced other teams seem to lack at times - actually listening and taking into effect customer feedback and improving upon products that have previously been released by way of hot fixes, patches and numerous upgrades.

Far too often software that is put out is quickly forgotten about and all eyes turn towards future products and the end consumer is stuck with a half baked product with no resolution in sight. So two thumbs up again to Jason and the entire dev team for continuing to improve upon an already great product.

• Upvote 2

Great to see you guys continue to improve all aspects of the series over time, thank you very much,  really appreciated.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Good stuff @ICDP and @BlackHellHound1! A sterling job, as ever!!

1 hour ago, Missionbug said:

A man from Lancashire? Good stuff! My Great Uncle was team physio at North End. Great mates with the one and only Tom Finney!! :good:

From me too, a big thanks to  @ICDP and @BlackHellHound1 .

Like many others, I much appreciate the fact that older content is being kept up to date.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Upvote 1

Great work, but this time I have a worry! Are the non 4k old skins still usable? Or are all this collected with patience skin good for the bin?! :salute:

2 minutes ago, senseispcc said:

Great work, but this time I have a worry! Are the non 4k old skins still usable? Or are all this collected with patience skin good for the bin?! :salute:

This is certainly a dilemma for us when we are upgrading the stock skins to 4K.  Do we fix errors and improve or add details knowing older skins will no longer work well, or do we look for backward compatibility.  Personally I prefer to add missing details and fix some of the more glaring errors from the older skins.  4K allows us to add details a 2K skin simply can't do well, such as more detailed screws for example.

I do apologise for breaking many of the older great skins that have been released over the years but I hope you understand that improving details and fixing errors is worth it overall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Great stuff, thanks for the news.

1 hour ago, Raptorattacker said:

A man from Lancashire? Good stuff! My Great Uncle was team physio at North End. Great mates with the one and only Tom Finney!! :good:

Not been on the North End now for around twelve years, used to love it, football and Northern Soul my youthful sins.:lol:

The ground at Deepdale has seen many changes over the years and has a huge history of sending players on into the higher leagues, surprising wherever you go in the country someone has a tale to tell, I am sure your Great Uncle had a few from those days with Tom.:drinks:

Take care.

Me Uncle Des was actually blind! He took up physiotherapy after the war where he was unfortunate enough to lose his sight. Pretty 'out there' stuff in his day I suppose! Shanks was a player for North End as well, which is good enough in THIS lad's book!!

Take care Pete

Rap :good:

ps If you ever want a custom skin for owt then just sing out. Your heritage merits it!!

• Thanks 1

Looking fowad to the 3D model corrections on the 109s the new normandy G6 is a big oportunity to correct this model.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, E69_geramos109 said:

Looking fowad to the 3D model corrections on the 109s the new normandy G6 is a big oportunity to correct this model.

Agreed. It's a good time to finally fix the inaccuracies in the 3d model of one of the most iconic fighters of the war... the incorrect angle of the landing gear on the later 109s in particular comes to mind.

Thank you all for all the continued effort that consistently goes into this sim as a whole, very much appreciated.

* Martin & Francisco, you both are very professional, besides being awesome at what you both do. Were all very lucky you guys are apart of this community. Thank you and S!

Now that I have my pen display, I hope one day I get picked to make an official plane. 😁

I would just like to add to the gratitude already expressed by the community here by saying I'm very happy with the frequency of the recent dev diaries so far this year. It still feels like Bodenplatte only just released yet you guys are already working on Normandy and some very exciting collector planes, not to mention improving on the sim in its current state. I always appreciate developers who are transparent and willing to work with their community and the IL-2 team are high up in that list for me.

17 hours ago, Count_de_Money said:

Excellent job!

One request, guys, can you possibly fix the Flaps on Mig3?  Or if it doesn't need fixing offer some details on on why their operation changed drastically in 4.000 patch?  (i.e. the point of flap limiter if it's not limiting anything anymore?)

I've checked right now. It works as it should:

Flaps limiter can be adjusted only when flaps valve is set to "retract".

So you can move your limiter up or down only if flaps are pressed up.

Due to this it looks like:

Flaps are retracted, limiter at 0%. You want to extend flaps to 50%:

- Holding F key. Flaps are pressed up. Limiter wheel is rotating, limiter is extending gradually to 50%.

- When limiter reaching 50% you releasing F key. Limiter wheel stops, flaps valve sets to extend position, flaps are pressing down. If speed is low and flaps are not pressed bi airflow than flaps are pressing down to the 50% limit.

Flaps are extended and at 50% limiter. You want to extend them more to 100%:

- Holding F key. Flaps valve set to retract, flaps are pressed up. Now limiter can be adjusted, it rotates down to 100% position.

- Limiter reaching 100%, releasing F key: flaps valve set to extend, flaps are pressed down to 100% limit.

Flaps are extended and at 100% limiter. You want to retract them till 50%:

- Holding LShift+F key. Flaps valve set to retract, flaps are pressed up. Limiter rotating up to 50% position.

- Limiter reaching 50%, releasing LShift+F key: flaps valve set to extend, flaps are pressed sown to 50% limit.

So once again - while at real plane the operations with flaps limiter wheel were prohibited while flaps are not pressed up - this kind of flaps operation algorythm is valid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 3

Beautiful work guys on the Mig and G4.  It is wonderful that the older planes get attention down the line to bring them in line with the new release planes.  I also can't wait for the new renderer to be implemented as I am hoping it will allow for stable Fixed Foreated Rendering in Il2 like it did with in DCS.

Thank you for the updates and continued development of a gem of a simulation.

5 hours ago, Han said:

while at real plane the operations with flaps limiter wheel were prohibited while flaps are not pressed up - this kind of flaps operation algorythm is valid.

thank you very much for the explanation, Han.  This change makes perfect sense now!

I would pay decent money to get the bf-110C and Ju-88 redone.   PM me your paypal account and I will send my bribe.

• Haha 2