J5_Baeumer

Flying Circus Community Awards Criteria and Precedence

S! Fellow Pilots,

I am very pleased to officially announce that after a month of development, effective February 1, 2020, the awards system for the Flying Circus Flugpark Parser (game data collector and analyzer) is officially rolled out and operational.  The system was created after consulting with a variety of Flying Circus community members/groups and historical research to create a multi-tiered system that tracks your career consistent with the requirements of real pilots in WWI! 

So much so that with only minor differences, the Central fighter pilot award structure mirrors the actual progression of Manfred vonRichthofen… are you better (and luckier) than the “Red Baron”? 

On the Flying Circus Flugpark, you can find out! 

Are you a Entente pilot “Gunning for the Baron”?  Now you can see how well you are doing relative to what he did as well as the most famous Entente pilots such as Fonck, Bishop, Mannock, Coppens, Baracca, Rickenbacker, and all the others (“Gunning for the Red Baron” is a very good book in case anyone wonders).

Below is a chart of the various award groupings and award structures along with criteria for each in parenthesis, e.g., (20), followed by additional details/explanations as well as screenshots of how to find and view the awards on the Flying Circus Flugpark server parser. 

y4mbNWPz7KtRNKa1XMG8U9IyDHNJxl_B5CmTts_b

The table below are signature ribbons available for your use.  You can download these ribbons.  Courtesy of US93_Larner.

NOTE:  You are limited to three signature lines in FC forums.

y4mMffhP9qVEaf-9CE27D7ZFl2IjZuIkAZGaPRPq

Entente and Central historically based awards are separated into:

·         Air scores.

·         Ground scores.

Further grouped by:

·         Person vs. Person (PvP).

·         PvP +Artificial Intelligence (AI).

Furthermore, there are awards based on:

·         Virtual Life (scoring runs without being killed or captured).  Only PvP are counted for air scores making these the most difficult to achieve as in real life and therefore the awards are the most coveted and well-known awards. 

·         Tours (month) and Campaigns (special event specific).  These include PvP + AI air scores.

·         Missions (generally run 2 or 3 hours).  These include PvP + AI air scores.

Not yet implemented but planned are:

·         Two-seater objective mission completion awards consistent with the above award systems.

·         Sorties (not implemented yet).

Note:  just as historical award systems changed and evolved over time during WWI, it is possible that this system will evolve and be refined over time, based on actual experience.  A great deal of hours and research went into both the historical criteria for awards as well as how that overlays with actual pilot performance data in Flying Circus.  In a few instances some liberty was taken in how awards are arranged and their criteria, but not to any great degree.  Historical award precedence (sequence of awards in relation to each other) was always kept in mind, especially with the more important well-known awards.

Many of the awards are stretch goals for the best or most determined fighter and bomber/two-seater pilots, while most pilots will find that with a modest amount of skill and flight time, some form of success will be rewarded.

Credits and Contributors: 

·         =FB=Vaal

·         Jasta 5/Schusta 27b (special thanks to Hellbender for his extensive work on graphics and help in research and Spyboy for his PLM research)

·         JG1 (special thanks to Butzzell, Snaggle, Klaiber)

·         3rd Pursuit Group

·         J99

·         No. 20 Squadron

Sources:

O’Connor, Neal (1977).  Imperial German States Awards System, Cross & Cockade Journal, Volume 18/Number 1, 49-76.

A variety of additional online sources including Wikipedia. 

Appendix:

In order to see any pilots’ awards earned, (including your own!) visit http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/ and click on a pilot name appearing just about anywhere. 

Below is the view of a pilot’s record. Click the “Awards” tab (red circle).

y4mrr144viZibX3LIYxQ00bGl6ZGYvgArChDBEzT

Below is the view on the “Awards” tab.

y4m78x10C4gqmNWJ7gaJJGIi557fLbikzvjFNMr4

Below shows the criteria of the award earned, by moving the mouse over the award.

y4mWdIrGx9ksetywzpB2P3WuNxafGvOhr5tHiblc

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5

If you want to have a look at all of them, here's the entire gallery (note that they look strangely resized on mobile, best to use a desktop browser):

https://imgur.com/a/NSoQUjc ]

You'll see that quite a few are taken directly from RoF, most notably all the US medals, some of the higher British ones, the French Legion of Honor and War Cross, as well as some of the higher German awards, such as the Red Eagle, Hohenzollern, St. Henry and Iron Crosses.

Most of the rest was stolen borrowed from various online sources, in the public domain whenever possible.

The Pour Le Mérite (and with Oak Leaves) is an original design, which I made from a 4000x4000 stock image.

With special thanks to @J5_Spyboy for helping me get the dimensions right.

ps3aYOn.pngPA9ZW2F.png

P.S. Have a look at the Central vlife ground attack award track and laugh/weep. It's an accurate depiction of what a Prussian flying NCO could hope to earn over a VERY distinguished career. It would be far more likely for him to get a commission to officer instead. That's what you get for flying a Halberstadt. The Bavarians were a lot more generous in that respect, which is portrayed in the Tour award track.

Edited by J5_Hellbender
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That's cool, thanks for all the hard work.

Does your v-life roll with the turning of the month or it stays fragmented by month? It would be cool to roll these awards and v-life together as long as the pilot is alive.

3 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Does your v-life roll with the turning of the month or it stays fragmented by month? It would be cool to roll these awards and v-life together as long as the pilot is alive.

I'm testing this right now, but it should stay with you! So you could win a Pour Le Mérite this month, and a higher award the next month.

That said, if you win a PLM this month, you won't see it on your awards page anymore the next month, even if you're still on the same vlife. Unless you die and win it a second time, of course. That's why I'm making those ribbons: so you can link back to the awards page of the month you won the award.

Please note that awards won during the month of January don't count 😁 (but obviously manually awarded PLMs still do). It's also no longer possible to win the PLM if you're flying Entente, but you will get the DSO instead.

Edited by J5_Hellbender-Sch27b
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender-Sch27b said:

I'm testing this right now, but it should stay with you! So you could win a Pour Le Mérite this month, and a higher award the next month.

That would be nice!

58 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

I asked the parser developer that and was told that the VL runs independent of the tour (monthly) rollover, although it seems you still need to do some combining of the month to month VL record keeping.

• Like 1

Suggestion: You could do the German Gunners Badge as next step up from Observers Badge and bump those iron crosses up to cover the 50 kill spot for ground target. 

I have a pic of it somewhere, from Schlactfleuger book. 

Edited by US213_Talbot

1 hour ago, US213_Talbot said:

Suggestion: You could do the German Gunners Badge as next step up from Observers Badge and bump those iron crosses up to cover the 50 kill spot for ground target. 

Please notice that there are other similar awards to the left of them....bumping them up would throw off the others... there is a linkage between both Entente and Central awards as well as between Entente/Central air scores and Entente/Central ground scores.

Thank you for your efforts gents!

Sometimes those details count and keep the community alive, even if the core content is abandoned by the DEVS.

S! Sahaj

• Like 2

1 hour ago, US213_Talbot said:

I have a pic of it somewhere, from Schlactfleuger book. 

You're looking at that 5 kills badge and I'm wondering what's more realistic in my Halberstadt: surviving long enough to get 10 PvP kills or 200 ground kills, worth the same medal (Hohenzollern).

5 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Doesn't matter for me I already have all of them.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

You're looking at that 5 kills badge and I'm wondering what's more realistic in my Halberstadt: surviving long enough to get 10 PvP kills or 200 ground kills, worth the same medal (Hohenzollern).

Orders, such as from the House of Hohenzollern conferred a form of nobility.  Fighter pilots generally were or became officers and could be from nobility.   NCO and other ranks in Schlastas were generally neither nobility nor officers and therefore were not eligible for an Order....except on extremely rare cases ....16 according to Neal O'Connor.

Edited by J5_Baeumer

21 minutes ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Orders, such as from the House of Hohenzollern conferred a form of nobility.  Fighter pilots generally were or became officers and could be from nobility.   NCO and other ranks in Schlastas were generally neither nobility nor officers and therefore were not eligible for an Order....except on extremely rare cases ....16 according to Neal O'Connor.

Suicide orders non withstanding.

.image.jpeg.d0be337e5c275606e3ed416c43d6f522.jpeg

Pilots such as Baeumer , Willi are from our class....as for Schlasta fliegers they're as common as dirt.

• Haha 4

He knew what he was getting into...!🤣

In all seriousness however, you can't study awards and such in this time period and not encounter the classism and rankism that permeated society.

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic work. Really brings the community to life, stuff like this! And I'm not sure if a universal "across-all-squadrons / players" awards system was ever implemented in RoF...certainly not when I was flying it. I think it's a really, really cool thing to have! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, US93_Larner said:

Fantastic work. Really brings the community to life, stuff like this! And I'm not sure if a universal "across-all-squadrons / players" awards system was ever implemented in RoF...certainly not when I was flying it. I think it's a really, really cool thing to have! 

Being "abandoned" by the devs (at least in terms of stats) puts us in a powerful position, it means the community can make up the rules for itself.

In RoF there was the wildly inaccurate streak mechanic kept by the master server which overshadowed any sort of actual statkeeping. It dated back from the days when RoF still had a competitive ladder and dogfighting tournaments with cash prizes. eSports!!!! Yeah, that didn't last long.

Plus, here we can refine stats further in terms of PvP streak, PvP+AI streak, ground streak, fairplay etc.

I would like to draw everyones attention to the signature ribbons now available in the original post, courtesy of US93_Larner. 

You can download them and use in your forum signature for awards you earn.  NOTE:  the forum only allows up to three lines in your signature.

Edited by J5_Baeumer

1 hour ago, J5_Baeumer said:

I would like to draw everyones attention to the signature ribbons now available in the original post, courtesy of US93_Larner. 

You can download them and use in your forum signature for awards you earn.  NOTE:  the forum only allows up to three lines in your signature.

That will exclude most of mine.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, SeaW0lf said:

From my intial testing, it's actually looking like your v-life rolls over at the end of the month. 🤔

As you can see, I ended January with a 57 kill ground streak:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/80/J5_Hellbender/?tour=8

And my new vlife in February, which has started over with a 4 kill ground streak:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/80/J5_Hellbender/?tour=9

No deaths in between.

Compare with @Daedallus

January ended on a 3 kill streak:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/36/Daedallus/?tour=8

Yet he is on a new vlife in February, which currently sits at 4:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/36/Daedallus/?tour=9

All 4 which he scored during sorties in February:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/sorties/36/Daedallus/?tour=9

Maybe there was a reset that happened this month?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender said:

From my intial testing, it's actually looking like your v-life rolls over at the end of the month. 🤔

As you can see, I ended January with a 57 kill ground streak:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/80/J5_Hellbender/?tour=8

And my new vlife in February, which has started over with a 4 kill ground streak:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/80/J5_Hellbender/?tour=9

No deaths in between.

Compare with @Daedallus

January ended on a 3 kill streak:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/36/Daedallus/?tour=8

Yet he is on a new vlife in February, which currently sits at 4:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/vlifes/36/Daedallus/?tour=9

All 4 which he scored during sorties in February:

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/sorties/36/Daedallus/?tour=9

Maybe there was a reset that happened this month?

I hope that you are right, because it would only make sense to roll the v-life as long as you are alive. Otherwise we can't even check other's v-lives unless we start to add all the months. For example, I'm glad that Talbot got his award, but I had no idea that he was that far on his streak.

18 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Mine never did. Had to look at each month to see overall stats.

Me too. Another rolling V life dud. I think it's because the parser never expects me to die.

I confirmed with the parser author that vlife reset each month.  When asked if it's possible to have them not do so, he said not currently.

Players assembling streaks across months can simply notify us of their qualifying for PLM or DSO or higher for recognition on the forum. Hopefully a future version of the parser will allow virtual life streaks to persist across months.

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/5/2020 at 2:24 AM, J5_Baeumer said:

Players assembling streaks across months can simply notify us of their qualifying for PLM or DSO or higher for recognition on the forum. Hopefully a future version of the parser will allow virtual life streaks to persist across months.

I'll try to keep track via the Chronicle - but some 'Aces' slip through the cracks! 

On 2/9/2020 at 10:43 AM, US93_Larner said:

I'll try to keep track via the Chronicle - but some 'Aces' slip through the cracks! 

And sometimes you kill 'em off prematurely... Oliver?...Oliver?  :biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Great idea Baumer! Thanks for all you and the J5 guys do for the community, between Bloody April, FlugPark and things like this. Salute!

1 hour ago, J5_Gamecock said:

And sometimes you kill 'em off prematurely... Oliver?...Oliver?  :biggrin:

"Initial reports were way off!" 

Posted (edited)

question: for the Centrals you have to shoot 200 ground target to get the Hohenzoler award and i belive Loopnow was the first one ...and for the Entente 100 to get the Order of the Crown Belgium award?...and i mean official not on the parcer 

Wslc3ea.png

Edited by 1PL-KJ-1Esk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1PL-KJ-1Esk said:

question: for the Centrals you have to shoot 200 ground target to get the Hohenzoler award and i belive Loopnow was the first one ...and for the Entente 100 to get the Order of the Crown Belgium award?...and i mean official not on the parcer 

Wslc3ea.png

That is correct.

A word of explanation: the Central vlife ground kill category follows a Prussian NCO award track. Typically Prussians were very stingy with medals for NCOs, and while it was common enough to receive both the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class, the Military Merit Cross in Gold (a.k.a. the "NCO Pour Le Mérite") was awarded on-the-spot for acts of bravery. Incidentally, I was the first to get that one (to note that I was beta testing the award system and I mostly got my kills during off-hours), but NCOs were not really meant to publicly celebrate their victories.

SnQzLQg.png

Now typically NCOs would receive a commission at this point (if not earlier) and so getting more medals was not really possible, although the Prussian award system did allow for them to be awarded the Order of Hohenzollern under very special circumstances. For officers this would have been a relatively low award, but for an NCO it was the absolute highest attainable. And indeed kudos to @J5_Loppnow for this very highest Order. It's a feat I won't even dare to pursue.

ozsWzi5.png

The Entente vlife ground kill category is simply a mix between Belgian and Italian officer medals. To the best of our knowledge, neither of these air forces had NCOs in a pilot bomber/observer role.

Edited by J5_Hellbender

Hate to be picky, but shouldn't this be called 'Flugpark Community Awards...' ?

9 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Hate to be picky, but shouldn't this be called 'Flugpark Community Awards...' ?

You're more than welcome to use these medals for your own parser:

https://imgur.com/a/NSoQUjc

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

so to make the story short there is not an official FC award for the Entente Bomber Pilots...

Edited by 1PL-KJ-1Esk

2 minutes ago, 1PL-KJ-1Esk said:

so to make the story short there is not an official FC award for the Entente Bomber Pilots...

I'm not sure what you mean with "official FC award". If you're talking about awards like they existed in RoF, then no, these don't exist anymore for anything.

Posted (edited)

i mean like the fighters get ther DSO for 20, Distinguish Cross for 40 etc...the german bombers get for 200 ground the award of Hohenzoler ....and the entente?

or is Loopnow case just an exeption...

just asking

Edited by 1PL-KJ-1Esk

1 minute ago, 1PL-KJ-1Esk said:

i mean like the fighters get ther DSO for 20, Distinguish Cross for 40 etc...the german bombers get for 200 ground the award of Hohenzoler ....and the entente?

or is Loopnow case just an exeption...

just asking

Aaah, I see what you mean. No, there is no 200 kill ground award for Entente, in the same way that there is no 50 and no 100 kill ground award for Central.

9ZQP3mT.png

And of course Loppnow is an exceptional pilot, he's made all of Schlasta 27b superfluous with his absolutely relentless bombing. 😁