Sign in to follow this  
Han

Developer Diary 238 - Discussion

Just now, Han said:
Hello everybody,

This week we continue telling you about the new Collector Planes, now is the turn of Yak-9 and Yak-9T.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 3

Thanks Han!

Looks beautiful! Already have the 9T on order and can't wait to fly it

Any news on planned modifications for these airplanes?

• Upvote 1

Just to say, the way you keeping us informed is really nice, I wished more devellopers acted like you, it makes us (me at least) trust in your work/products.

Thanks you for this.

• Upvote 2

I haven't had time to play recently but as soon as this Yak drops I will be making some time. I really like the way the artists are getting so much more detailed with the textures and normal maps. Not only are the tyre treads visible but you can see the bump of the cord inside the rubber running around the tyre in between the treads. The rivets and screws are not all perfect and uniform. Some of the panels are dented and deformed in places. It looks very realistic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Was the Yak-9T used in the Kuban area too during the later stages of the campaign or maybe during Kerch-Eltigen Operation?

• Upvote 1

Could we get a picture with the Yak 9 and 9t next to each other, so we can start learning to spot the difference? :) Need to know your targets you know~

I am amazed at how quickly the hurri+yak9 pack is progressing. Looks like it is going to be released soon!

Does the replacement of wooden for metal spars etc mean we can dive her faster before experiencing what SpaceX refer to as a rapid unscheduled disassembly? 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Does the replacement of wooden for metal spars etc mean we can dive her faster before experiencing what SpaceX refer to as a rapid unscheduled disassembly? 

Or more generally the performance difference between them and the yak-1B, from what I can see there very similar.

34 minutes ago, [RBRI]Khaela said:

Could we get a picture with the Yak 9 and 9t next to each other, so we can start learning to spot the difference? :) Need to know your targets you know~

image.png.191d5baa724c0f9f007c8bc49fc414e4.png

On the Yak-9 the cockpit is roughly aligned with the radiator at the bottom there, on the 9T (and later M, U) it's shuffled a little further back

18 minutes ago, LF_Gallahad said:

The Yak family gets bigger

And they're coming for ya!

yaks.PNG

• Haha 8

Question for @BlackSix: Similar to my question about the Hurricane, can you tell us what units you currently plan to place the Yak-9 and Yak-9T in Single Player Career Mode? Thanks for any information.

I have pre-ordered the Yak-9/Yak-9T collector planes and am really looking forward to them.  Of all the VVS and Lend-Lease fighters in the game, I find the Yak series the easiest to fly and get the most enjoyment from flying them.  Keep up the great work!

27 minutes ago, No105_Swoose said:

Question for @BlackSix: Similar to my question about the Hurricane, can you tell us what units you currently plan to place the Yak-9 and Yak-9T in Single Player Career Mode? Thanks for any information.

I have pre-ordered the Yak-9/Yak-9T collector planes and am really looking forward to them.  Of all the VVS and Lend-Lease fighters in the game, I find the Yak series the easiest to fly and get the most enjoyment from flying them.  Keep up the great work!

Fortunately, he already has:

I am beyond excited for the Yak-9 as it was one of my favourite mounts in the original IL-2.

I am curious, however, about the ring and bead gunsight. That's different!

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that a more modern reflector type gun sight will be a modification.

I am very interested in if the steel wing spar, and other construction changes from the Yak 7 series, will make for higher dive speed limitations.

And for those still in the dark about  the Yak9 vs. the Yak1 series...   The 1 was a lighter constructed airframe, that eventually led to the Yak 3 series.  The 7 was a heavier constructed airframe initially designed as a flight trainer, it went on to be the base of the Yak 9 series, which were heavier in construction than the 1 and 3 series aircraft.  The 1b and 9 look superficially similar, but are different in internal construction methods.  They are different airframes, and will have different handling characteristics.

And to further muddy the waters, here is their release timeline:

1~7~9~3.

👀

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, No105_Swoose said:

Yak-9, historical regiments:

15 IAP - May 16 - June 16, 1943

43 IAP - May 2-31, 1943

Yak-9T:

157 IAP - July 11 - August 26, 1943 - unhistorical regiment for the Kuban, this unit took part in the Kursk battle at this time.

Since you asked me here not to place Yak-9T in any historical regiment, we added to the career new 157 IAP. This regiment also will have Hurricanes in the BoM career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Yakety Yak!...

Don't shoot back!

1 hour ago, Elem said:

And they're coming for ya!

yaks.PNG

They're about to drop the best german symphonic metal album of the year

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

Since you asked me here not to place Yak-9T in any historical regiment, we added to the career new 157 IAP. .

Hopefully we can also retroactively have the same for the La-5FN in Kuban :salute:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Yak-9 with a iron sight?

i'd never know such gunsight on a wwii fighter before

6 minutes ago, No42_Baili said:

Yak-9 with a iron sight?

i'd never know such gunsight on a wwii fighter before

It eventually got replaced by a more sophisticated one that was painted onto the windscreen

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, HerrBree said:

It eventually got replaced by a more sophisticated one that was painted onto the windscreen

Russian crosshair technology was unparallelled. The windscreen-painted crosshair evolved further into scratching crosshairs on the glasses of special goggles for pilots.

It culminated in tests of scratching crosshairs on the cornea of pilots during the cold war, which showed results so extra-ordinary that the method was abandoned as to give opposing pilots at least some chance.

Back to the Yak-9's, will the 9T have the choice between HE and AP ammo?

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Looks beautiful! Already have the 9T on order and can't wait to fly it

Any news on planned modifications for these airplanes?

Also would like to get any news on planed modifications if any

Looking great! I have pre-ordered this, Yak 9T and Hurricane but honestly the plane I'm looking forward the most is the Hurricane.

Beautiful work on a beautiful plane. The level of detail here shows just how high the bar has been raised:

I can almost feel that surface detail -

06.jpg

The Yak-1 was the first kite I could fly online with any hope of surviving. It's great to see this historic and iconic aircraft line being given more substance.

Also, furhter to @Diggun's question, does anyone know if the dive speed will be improved by that stiffened wing? It's the only time a get tense flying the Yak.

• Upvote 2