Jump to content

Just installed a motion platform


J5_Daedallus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Todt_Von_Oben

I'm having driver-recognition problems with my SX4000 / SCN5 3DOF components.  Sim Commander runs fine; X-Plane 11 opens and my CH controls work the stick and pedals in the VR aircraft; but the actuators are dead.

 

Spent the last three days working on it and I'm still not operational.

 

Okay, next I'll buy Sim Tools and try my luck there.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_Tzigy
On 3/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, Charlo-VR said:

Motion Platform V3 and a new one of their seats

 

What seat did u get and how was the fit, pls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlo-VR
6 hours ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

 

What seat did u get and how was the fit, pls


I got the seat in this package:

 

https://nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-gtultimate-v2/

 

I wanted to buy just the seat but they don’t appear to sell just the seat any more, so I had to buy the bundle. I also couldn’t find anyone in southern California who is selling a used one of these seats. I’ve put the wheel stand bundled with it up for sale to recoup some of my expense.

 

The seat is quite comfortable, though I still think they charge too much. I bought their matching seat because I wouldn’t have to fabricate a way to attach a different, less expensive seat to the Motion Platform (my time is valuable to me, too). I was also concerned that I get the best match since the seat will be bucking, swaying, and shaking a bit for hopefully many hours of play.

 

The seat fits very well to the Motion Platform, since they are designed to fit together - but it was a challenging couple of hours to assemble the seat and bolt them together. The attachment process could be designed much better.

 

I also need to be able to move the seat elsewhere in my office - I also do my job on my gaming computer - so I added put the assembled unit on top of one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089WDPMXV/


 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varibraun
On 3/22/2021 at 11:17 PM, Charlo-VR said:

 

Hi Charlo - Congrats...that sounds so immersive!  I am probably a long way off from this for now - however, asking for a friend (just in case Mrs. V is looking over my shoulder), do your rudder pedals move with the entire platform with this V2 cockpit combined with the motion platform?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlo-VR
3 hours ago, Varibraun said:

 

Hi Charlo - Congrats...that sounds so immersive!  I am probably a long way off from this for now - however, asking for a friend (just in case Mrs. V is looking over my shoulder), do your rudder pedals move with the entire platform with this V2 cockpit combined with the motion platform?

 

No, my rudder pedals, joystick, and throttle all remain still on the floor, only the seat moves.

 

I'm kind of mulling over mounting them to the seat (perhaps the way @ACG_kmac31did in his posts on the previous page of this thread), but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. My gaming space is also my home office for work, so I have limits on how elaborate and dedicated my cockpit space can be. My Slaw pedals are heavier than Crosswind pedals, too.

 

I'm not sure mounting the pedals, stick, and throttle to the chair would be that much more immersive than what I am already enjoying. I am, however, eagerly awaiting a SimShaker Jetpad FSE - I've enjoyed the SimShaker software for a year now, and now that I have a dedicated gaming chair, I have a place for the Jetpad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Charlo-VR

I emailed Next Level Racing tech support if there was a way to add acceleration/deceleration as one of the motions. They replied yes because IL-2 Great Battles does provide acceleration telemetry data, and they guided me on how I could clone the IL-2 Great Battles stock profile and add in a version of acceleration motion. It's subtle and seems to involve more a slight rocking backward rather than a surge that pushes you back in your seat, but I find it's an enjoyable addition.

 

Clone the "IL-2 Great Battles" stock profile, and uncheck "Shallow copy" and check "clone scripts". When you edit your cloned copy you are actually only editing the Motion Scripts. View your one motion script for your cloned copy and open it in Notepad.

 

Towards the bottom of that cloned script you will find the below two lines for rearFrontRotation. Add in the third line you see below for FieldAccX (capitalization matters!) so that the bottom of your script looks like the below:

 

    ctx.output.motion.indirectMode.rearFrontRotation += static_cast<int>( g_filtered1_Pitch + g_filtered1_PitchRate);
    ctx.output.motion.indirectMode.rearFrontRotation += static_cast<int>(-g_filtered1_AccUp);
    ctx.output.motion.indirectMode.rearFrontRotation += static_cast<int>(in.FieldAccX * -1500 /* adjust this value */);
}

 

Why -1500 as the value? Next Level Racing advised I enter the value as * 1000/* and adjust that to my tastes, but I couldn't feel much difference at 1000.

 

From what I understand at https://motionsystems.eu/2018/01/profile-editing/, the total range of motion is 32767 (positive and negative each, so actually twice that). So, I next tried that in.FieldAccX value at 12000 - DO NOT DO THAT! I was fortunate I didn't have anything near my legs when I accelerated a 109G6 at that 12000 value, as the motion platform aggressively rocked my chair forward! 😛

 

When I set the value at 2000 or 3000 I found it a tad strong, and also realized it was pushing me forward in the seat as I accelerated, rather than pushing me back in the seat as we would feel when accelerating aggressively. That's how I settled on -1500 as my currently preferred value.

Edited by Charlo-VR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, vonrickenbecker said:

 

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am currently working to develop a product along these lines... ;)

Add a water sprayer too. So, the player will feel the clouds too 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vonrickenbecker
2 hours ago, DN308 said:

Add a water sprayer too. So, the player will feel the clouds too 😄

And a castor oil sprayer while I'm at it ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
On 3/22/2021 at 5:20 PM, Charlo-VR said:

Here are my Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 settings for IL-2 Great Battles. I’m curious how similar others’ settings might be

 

89A97754-2777-4517-87AE-267707789A27.jpeg

Well I finally have my Next Level Racing Motion (NLR) Platform operational and it certainly adds to the realism. Returning from a ground attack mission with rather accurate Anti Aircraft fire from numerous sources forced me to take a lot of evasive action and I now feel like I have been on quite a rollercoaster ride when using it with VR. This platform can really throw you around and I recommend using the supplied safety belt! 

 

On a previous mission I took a direct hit that knocked me right out of the sky and the motion platform added substantially to the effect of that Oh Sh*t! moment and the subsequent spin and ground impact. 🤬.............. :)

 

Initial Comments, in no particular order:

1. I got the motion platform with the NLR GT Track Cockpit and was disappointed to discover that my Crosswind Rudders were too big for the wheel deck so have only been able to use the chair frame and seat.

2. Have the GVL Throttle quadrant mounted to the seat (using supplied bracket) and wish that NLR also supplied a bracket to centre mount my VKB KG12 joystick

3. Find it a bit more difficult to aim with the joystick not moving with the chair but am already getting better at compensating for it but will experiment with a home made seat joystick mount when time permits.

4. My seat base was damaged in transit and the Australian importer was very helpful in promptly obtaining a replacement part.

5. Used Charlo-VR's settings as a initial guide and this is what I am running at present....... image.png.6a6a568338f37c00a0aa820f8e18e4fd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlo-VR
8 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Initial Comments, in no particular order:

1. I got the motion platform with the NLR GT Track Cockpit and was disappointed to discover that my Crosswind Rudders were too big for the wheel deck so have only been able to use the chair frame and seat.

2. Have the GVL Throttle quadrant mounted to the seat (using supplied bracket) and wish that NLR also supplied a bracket to centre mount my VKB KG12 joystick

3. Find it a bit more difficult to aim with the joystick not moving with the chair but am already getting better at compensating for it but will experiment with a home made seat joystick mount when time permits.

 

Very nice, it's great fun, isn't it? My aim is also harder, too, as you noted - and I was told last night by a buddy on Discord that he could hear my grunting under my breath as I was dog fighting on Berloga, with the seat throwing me around a bit with every move - but it's all worth it. When I get shot down I am often chuckling from the fullness of the experience from the chair combined with the SimShaker Jetpad FSE and flying in VR.

 

I, too, don't have a way to mount my rudder pedals to the chair stand (my pedals are the even heavier Slaw Device pedals). Before I bought my GT Ultimate V2 seat to go with this motion platform, I used to mount my joystick and throttle/quadrant with industrial velcro on top of bookshelf speaker stands. This allowed me to position them easily since my home office doesn't have the space for a dedicated cockpit.

 

After I got this GT Ultimate seat, though, I decided to figure out a way to mount those controls so they also move with the seat, even if the rudder pedals won't. I now use an articulated camera mount arm from https://www.gyrovu.com/adjustable-clamp-mount to extend slightly backwards the Next Level Racing gear shifter plate, which brings the throttle back to where is is comfortable.

 

I've always preferred to fly with the joystick between my knees, so below are pictures of the easily-removable joystick mount I created. The butterfly screws allowed me to easily adjust the height of the joystick, with a piece of bent tin to create the angle I prefer. The stick is held in place by velcro. The paddle end of the wood slides between two thin, plastic cutting board sheets I velcroed between the seat pad and the seat bottom. This allows me to easily slide out the entire joystick mount when I want to get in or out of the seat, and my weight in the seat keeps the joystick firmly in place.

 

joystick_slide_mount_1.jpg

 

joystick_slide_mount_2.jpg

 

joystick_slide_mount_3.jpg

 

The wood and joystick is all one piece that I don't adjust anymore - I just slide the assembly in or out of the bottom of the seat, as needed, with the plastic cutting board sheets protecting the seat's padding. The entire seat with the motion platform under it rests on a short, adjustable, wheeled refrigerator stand that I roll into place, then lock the front wheels for flight.

Edited by Charlo-VR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve

This is the solution I went for to get a centre mounted joystick with my NLR GT Track Seat. Just used the supplied mouse tray support bracket and flipped 90 degrees and mounted it to the chair's support cross beam, utilising the two holes that were already in the cross beam. Did have to drill two holes in the mouse tray support bracket.  Joystick now moves with the chair and my problem with aiming has been resolved.

 

Not particularly happy with the cable management but need a longer cable from the joystick to the interface box before I can improve the cabling.

 

This is more of a permanent solution than Charlo-VR's easily removable solution but it works for me.

 

It is a bit more difficult to get in and out of the seat (but not a lot) but you have to clamber into a real fighter aircraft seat so I guess it "adds to the realism" 😁

 

Joystick_Bracket_50.thumb.JPG.8faa424042337a9a1a00a72a41339cc4.JPGSide_View_50.thumb.JPG.e592250cb7efb6c42514cc9202add3ae.JPG

JoyStick_Bracket_Big_Crop.thumb.JPG.f1966ce27c208ad987773c8d07d9d6a6.JPG

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Added cropped image as hard to see detail under seat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

chiliwili69
On 4/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, Charlo-VR said:

They replied yes because IL-2 Great Battles does provide acceleration telemetry data

That´s good.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:29 PM, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

This platform can really throw you around and I recommend using the supplied safety belt!

 

 I believe the max pitch or roll angle is 10º for the NLRV3. The max speed is 20º/s and the max acceleration is 360º/ss. So I understand that although 10º static roll will not throw you from your seat, a quick full roll (ie. 2 seconds) can produce a brute bump, technically up to 36º in 0.1 seconds, which is enough to throw you from the seat.

 

But a real plane doesn´t do that when you do a quick or slow roll.  

 

My doubt here is that it add movement to the game, but to what extend some of this movement or forces are really real?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlo-VR
5 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I believe the max pitch or roll angle is 10º for the NLRV3. The max speed is 20º/s and the max acceleration is 360º/ss. So I understand that although 10º static roll will not throw you from your seat, a quick full roll (ie. 2 seconds) can produce a brute bump, technically up to 36º in 0.1 seconds, which is enough to throw you from the seat.

 

But a real plane doesn´t do that when you do a quick or slow roll.  

 

My doubt here is that it add movement to the game, but to what extend some of this movement or forces are really real?


Adding a Motion Platform is somewhat like when I added a Buttkicker (and now I use a JetPad JetSeat) - once I experienced it I quickly found that it added enough to my immersion that I no longer want to fly without it. It can’t create the sustained feel of G forces we experience in a real plane, but it creates enough of a feel in the movements it can create that your whole body feels as if you are moving more than you actually are.

 

Most or all of us in this thread have dialed back the amount of intensity as much as just 40% of the maximum intensity available to the seat movement. Like the OP I have actually laughed out loud as I first experienced what the seat can do.
 

I could sell the seat to get back the $2,700 I paid for it used, but I now enjoy it so much, and it fits in my office space both when I am flying and when I am working, that it is now a required part of my cockpit.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
13 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

That´s good.

 

 I believe the max pitch or roll angle is 10º for the NLRV3. The max speed is 20º/s and the max acceleration is 360º/ss. So I understand that although 10º static roll will not throw you from your seat, a quick full roll (ie. 2 seconds) can produce a brute bump, technically up to 36º in 0.1 seconds, which is enough to throw you from the seat.

 

But a real plane doesn´t do that when you do a quick or slow roll.  

 

My doubt here is that it add movement to the game, but to what extend some of this movement or forces are really real?

 

Never bothered to do the math on max acceleration etc. I guess you could say "I just went by the seat of my pants"

 

I am space constrained in my options for a motion platform so the NLR motion platform (MP) is a good solution for my situation.

 

2 more points after some more use:

1. When not using the safety belt I found that my upper body would move to compensate for the seats motion thus deadening the experience. I am an ex dinghy sailor so I will blame that for my motion compensation habit 😁.

2. One of the many flaws in my flying technique was "jerking the joystick" and the game would warn me about that pretty much each mission. With the NLR MP having the ability to respond quite quickly, it is helping to cure me of that particular habit.

 

As per Charlo-VR, using the NLR MP adds quite a lot to the VR flying experience and I am glad that I picked it up.

 

There may be better motion platforms out there (or in development) depending on individual users situation/ bank balance :) .

It is great to have options. 

 

I did actually work in a military flight trainer many decades ago that had a full hydraulic motion platform for the cockpit. Sometimes the trainee pilots would come out after a session and throw up. I can do without that level of realism.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

chiliwili69
19 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

but it creates enough of a feel in the movements it can create that your whole body feels as if you are moving more than you actually are.

 

Interesting. This is what I suspect. At the end is to cheat our brain about the movements of the plane to add inmersion, regardeless if they are close or not to the forces you feel in the real plane.

Most of real life pilot in recreational planes do moderate and slow roll and pitch angles, so the Yaw2 could be a bit closer since G-forces are lower.

But in a WWII warbird, the roll and pitch can be quick and do full loops and barrels like in an aerobatics plane. Here the Yaw2 will be obiously far for that feelings (not only for the 90&40 angle limitations but essentially by the G forces).

 

At the end of the day, if it adds to the inmersion, is all we need. 

11 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Sometimes the trainee pilots would come out after a session and throw up

 

Perhaps they were missing the mantained G-forces and that made their brains get dizzy.

 

BTW, What a nice job you had! Image that now with VR...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

chiliwili69

I would like to know more about the Vertical G-force Gain.

It this something IL-2 is givin telemetry data?

 

When it is experienced (in taxing, landing, during flight in quick asecent/descent)?

 

Even if it is just some cms, I think it could be the movement that contribute the most to the inmersion.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
JG51_Beazil

Aaaand I joined the club.  Might even be here tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
JG51_Beazil

Been flying the dof reality 2 axis H2 with a downloaded profile.  Got a harness too and I'm glad I did.  😀

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys, I just got lucky and got a NLR V3 with a year warranty left for 1600,-€
The thing is that my budget now is pretty fucked:)
I will now have to try and and get a low cost solution to fit the upper part of my DXRacer seat mounted on top of the NLR V3.
What I am worrying most about is how to most gently place the mover on the Floor without damaging the parkett.

 

Segond thing is how to mount my Virpil T50 as a centermount to the seat.
I have the first iteration of the T50 wich actually needs to be mounted using the bracket in the front of the base.

 

Suggestions greatly apprechiated.

1629982966366.jpg

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a plan now.
Aluminium plate (10mm) will be used to bolt the DXRacer seat on top of the NLR V3.
Stick and pedals will me mounted on top of the Aluminium U-Profile (100x40).
The length of the U-Profile will be shortened depending on what length I need to have my feet rest comfortably on the pedals and bolted from below to the 10mm aluminium plate.
I have 80 Kg bodyweight. I hope that together with the upper DX-Racer seat with mounted throttle and 2nd Stick will not be more than 50 kg so I will not exceed the 130kg Weight limit of the V3.
Even though Ive been told It could easily handle 150kg wich would be plenty.
The angle of the DXRacer seat will be changed backward a little with 3D-printed distance parts.

 

Ill post photo once Ive managed to assemble.

 

EDIT: Oh and the Wood bars (80x80) will be used to create a frame (aproximately 800x550) on wich the whole thing will be mounted. Alltogether the seat height should be somewhere around what I am used to from the DXRacer. Underneath the wood I will use rubber or felt and maybe some screen mat so my wooden floor doesnt suffer.

Constrictive suggestions always apprechiated.
 

1630327885292.jpg

Edited by Winger
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tiny update. Lower frame and seat Adapter plate assembled. Between frame and nlr v3 ill add an Aluminium checker plate. 

16304324417305748921403526363742.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

chiliwili69
On 8/30/2021 at 3:01 PM, Winger said:

Stick and pedals will me mounted on top of the Aluminium U-Profile (100x40).

Congrats for your platform and DIY solutions.

 

The Aluminium U-profile might not be as strong or rigid as an steel U profile. For the T50 the distance is small, but for the pedals the distance is significant and it could flex to much depending and how much you rest in the pedals and force you apply. But overall is looking good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

Congrats for your platform and DIY solutions.

 

The Aluminium U-profile might not be as strong or rigid as an steel U profile. For the T50 the distance is small, but for the pedals the distance is significant and it could flex to much depending and how much you rest in the pedals and force you apply. But overall is looking good.

Thanks for your comment. I hope it will last.
Its 100x40x3 (bolted to the adapterplate using 5x M10 allen screws. The material seems, judging from handling it in its raw form, quite sturdy.
Guess trial and error is the way.
If it starts warping ill probably just add another 90° angle plate to each side wich i bolt down with rivets. Should get some airplane look then thou:)
I chose aluminium over steel because of the weight.

If everything doesnt work out ill simply place the pedals on the ground.
I have been told that its in reality not as much of an immersion breaker as one might think.

Edited by Winger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update.
Base is assembled and chair attached.
I hope to get the Stick and pedals attached in the evening. And then "lets rock"😀

IMG-20210902-WA0003.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, J2_Seya said:

Wow that looks great. How is flying with it?

didnt fly et. Its not done yet. I am about to fit the Stick and pedals and afterwards will be my premiere.
Ill keep posting updates. I really hope everything works out as planned.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, J5_Daedallus said:

Make sure you wear a seat belt :rofl:

IMG_20210903_141435.thumb.jpg.009b112129ab6ab894fb5736f09fd527.jpgIMG_20210903_141453.thumb.jpg.8f143adac290f0a68ab03515a36f50ed.jpg1630672691321.thumb.jpg.362186105a96e618ef60e63a3df28132.jpg

Dont worry. Seatbelt arrived today:)
For Flying i will pull the whole thing back so the pedals can move freely.
I will start it slowly with small settings and see how it feels.
I miss some cables and think tomorrow wll be the first day of flight.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_motoadve
14 minutes ago, Winger said:

IMG_20210903_141435.thumb.jpg.009b112129ab6ab894fb5736f09fd527.jpgIMG_20210903_141453.thumb.jpg.8f143adac290f0a68ab03515a36f50ed.jpg1630672691321.thumb.jpg.362186105a96e618ef60e63a3df28132.jpg

Dont worry. Seatbelt arrived today:)
For Flying i will pull the whole thing back so the pedals can move freely.
I will start it slowly with small settings and see how it feels.
I miss some cables and think tomorrow wll be the first day of flight.

Please take a video

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Please take a video

Will do. Gotta get vr to work. Doesnt Start in vr for some reason. Only the mixed reality room opens up. But the motion platform is awesome. Eben without vr

Edited by Winger
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Montana_*VR*

Wow, well done! My plan is to build a similar setup in the near future. Can't decide if I should go with a dof reality h6 (6dof) or the NLR v3 though.

It would be great if you could share a video with take off, landing, barrel roll and dogfight for showing how the motion rig behaves.

I am curious about your impressions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, I made a small vid.
The movement is best seen at the end (where I crash):P
Please dont mind the moaning of my woman. She has no sense for my playstuff:)

Next upgrade will be a lighter seat.
For me its no problem. But a friend of my son wanted to try it. He has 100Kg. The platform couldnt manage the additional weight when compared to me.

 

 

Edited by Winger
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_motoadve
27 minutes ago, Winger said:

OK, I made a small vid.
The movement is best seen at the end (where I crash):P
Please dont mind the moaning of my woman. She has no sense for my playstuff:)

Next upgrade will be a lighter seat.
For me its no problem. But a friend of my son wanted to try it. He has 100Kg. The platform couldnt manage the additional weight when compared to me.

 

 

So how do you like it? how does it feel?

I want one but would like to try one before I buy it.

Anyone has a motion platform in the Seattle area?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

So how do you like it? how does it feel?

I want one but would like to try one before I buy it.

Anyone has a motion platform in the Seattle area?

I like it VERY MUCH.
When I saw the vid myself I was amazed how small the movements are.
Like the OP said its fantastic how these comparably small movements trick your brain and make you think you are actually flying.
This Rig is totally sufficient for what I expect from such a rig.
My space is limited and my woman sleeps next door so it was important that its not too noisy. And this NLR V3 is really quiet.

FYI: Here in germany was a guy on Ebay kleinanzeigen selling one. He asked 1300,- Not sure if its still available.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlo-VR

Thanks for the video, @Winger!  Yep, watching video of the NLR motion platform looks underwhelming compared to the amount of movement your brain and body feels inside the VR headset, and that’s using only 30-40% of the platform’s power. When I get shot down by a skilled player in mp I am often chuckling as the chair throws me around, and after bailing out the chair does its best to approximate the sensation of opening shock under a round canopy.

 

I’ve been enjoying reading you go through the same process I did last year in March, and you created a great platform for your Motion Platform- I still have my pedals resting on the floor as my chair moves (my Slaw Device pedals are heavier than Crosswinds). Your setup is probably more immersive than mine because the pedals also move with you.

 

One small tweak you can try doing is using small, strong magnets, one velcroed to the back of your seat behind your head, and the other clipped on your headset’s cable maybe 30 to 40 cm from the headset. After you put on your headset you then reach behind you to match the magnets to each other and you now have a loop of headset cable that you won’t feel on your back or shoulders as you fly around. Not feeling the headset cable creates more immersion for me.  I explain this probably too much at 

I also recommend buying a copy of No Limits 2 Roller Coaster simulator, https://www.nolimitscoaster.com , for spouse and friends who don’t want to try IL-2. It’s an easy way to get them to experience the delight of the platform, and your wife may better appreciate why you went through all the effort (my wife does in my case). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

Thanks for the video, @Winger!  Yep, watching video of the NLR motion platform looks underwhelming compared to the amount of movement your brain and body feels inside the VR headset, and that’s using only 30-40% of the platform’s power. When I get shot down by a skilled player in mp I am often chuckling as the chair throws me around, and after bailing out the chair does its best to approximate the sensation of opening shock under a round canopy.

 

I’ve been enjoying reading you go through the same process I did last year in March, and you created a great platform for your Motion Platform- I still have my pedals resting on the floor as my chair moves (my Slaw Device pedals are heavier than Crosswinds). Your setup is probably more immersive than mine because the pedals also move with you.

 

One small tweak you can try doing is using small, strong magnets, one velcroed to the back of your seat behind your head, and the other clipped on your headset’s cable maybe 30 to 40 cm from the headset. After you put on your headset you then reach behind you to match the magnets to each other and you now have a loop of headset cable that you won’t feel on your back or shoulders as you fly around. Not feeling the headset cable creates more immersion for me.  I explain this probably too much at 

I also recommend buying a copy of No Limits 2 Roller Coaster simulator, https://www.nolimitscoaster.com , for spouse and friends who don’t want to try IL-2. It’s an easy way to get them to experience the delight of the platform, and your wife may better appreciate why you went through all the effort (my wife does in my case). 

Hey, great advice with the Cableholde. Ill probably print something 3D for that. Never thought about that but get annoyed by the cable pretty often thou.
I was looking for a great rollercoaster. If you recommend that one ill give it a try. Thanks a lot!

 

EDIT: Thinking about getting this seat or something alike.
MK2-768x1024.png
I wonder if the smaller padding might be a downside for extended flightsessions.

Edited by Winger
addition in content
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlo-VR

@Winger, did you notice my post earlier in the thread for how to add acceleration to the default IL-2 profile that Next Level Racing provides? I like feeling that “surge” telemetry data as I take off and land, and my earlier post tells you how to add it pretty easily (I’m no programmer)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

@Winger, did you notice my post earlier in the thread for how to add acceleration to the default IL-2 profile that Next Level Racing provides? I like feeling that “surge” telemetry data as I take off and land, and my earlier post tells you how to add it pretty easily (I’m no programmer)

Hey, no i didnt yet.
But I will read it and add it.👍

 

EDIT: Read it and will add it in the evening or tomorrow if my girl wont let me today😀
Big thumbs up for your effort!

 

EDIT II: I can get this seat for small money: https://bimarco.eu/en/bucket-seats/15-777-bimarco-cobra-ii-seat.html
Anyone experience with it?

Edited by Winger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

@Winger, did you notice my post earlier in the thread for how to add acceleration to the default IL-2 profile that Next Level Racing provides? I like feeling that “surge” telemetry data as I take off and land, and my earlier post tells you how to add it pretty easily (I’m no programmer)

I added it. But I have another problem now. For some reason I am missing 3 DOFs in VR.
Only rotation works but not offset along XY and Z axes. Feels as if i had a cheap 3 DOF Headtracker.
Any idea what i messed up? I think last time i flew it worked.´normally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...