Just installed a motion platform

J5_Daedallus

Blasterlasvideo

If I use the HOTAS in a manner that I would realistically fly with (smooth not jerky) the platform is smooth. If I jerk the joystick around the platform moves fast. There is Platform Manager software that allows me to customize the movements to my liking and I am happy how it performs with IL2 . YM MV.

• Thanks 1

SCG_motoadve
On 3/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, Blasterlasvideo said:

If I use the HOTAS in a manner that I would realistically fly with (smooth not jerky) the platform is smooth. If I jerk the joystick around the platform moves fast. There is Platform Manager software that allows me to customize the movements to my liking and I am happy how it performs with IL2 . YM MV.

Does the motion platform comes with the seat? Or its an accessory you also need to buy?

Blasterlasvideo

I bought both the seat, the flight cockpit and the motion platform from Next Level Racing. They are all separate items. I bought the seat since its designed to work with the platform (but it was a bitch to install with my larger hands. It was tough to access the areas where the chair bolts on to the mounting plate).

Edited by Blasterlasvideo
  • Thanks 1

SCG_motoadve
30 minutes ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

I bought both the seat, the flight cockpit and the motion platform from Next Level Racing. They are all separate items. I bought the seat since its designed to work with the platform (but it was a bitch to install with my larger hands. It was tough to access the areas where the chair bolts on to the mounting plate).

Thanks for the info.

• Upvote 1

this thread made me take the plunge my chair and motion platform comes today, it looked to good to pass up.

Edited by [TWB]kmac31
  • Upvote 1

JG51_Beazil
11 minutes ago, [TWB]kmac31 said:

this thread made me take the plunge my chair and motion platform comes today, it looked to good to pass up.

Pictures and thoughts when you can please kmac.  I hope the setup and integration are as smooth as possible.  Enjoy!

The hype is real this with vr is insane. A problem I had was there was no attachment for rudder pedals so when flying straight vertical my feet didn't touch the pedals and flying down I was being pushed into them. After a few trips to the hardware store I made an attachment for the pedals. Just regular flight is awsome, dogfights are crazy. Landing is cool you can feel what wheel hits first, and crashes where you skip across the ground damn near throw you from the chair. When combined with bass shakers the immersion is unparalleled 

20200316_090228.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

SCG_motoadve
11 minutes ago, [TWB]kmac31 said:

The hype is real this with vr is insane. A problem I had was there was no attachment for rudder pedals so when flying straight vertical my feet didn't touch the pedals and flying down I was being pushed into them. After a few trips to the hardware store I made an attachment for the pedals. Just regular flight is awsome, dogfights are crazy. Landing is cool you can feel what wheel hits first, and crashes where you skip across the ground damn near throw you from the chair. When combined with bass shakers the immersion is unparalleled 

20200316_090228.jpg

Have almost the same setup, same pedals, and all almost the same controls by Vitaly, joystick with extensions Virpil

Do you use Simshaker? Highly recommend it, I have it with two Buttkickers, one on the stick, one on the seat.

Very immersive.

Here is a discount code 20% off for Buttkicker.

https://thebuttkicker.com/reward?aic=652B4PG&utm_source=referralcandy&utm_medium=direct

JG51_Beazil
29 minutes ago, [TWB]kmac31 said:

20200316_090228.jpg

So did you mount pedals and stick to the seat so they all move together?  Wow!

3 hours ago, [TWB]kmac31 said:

20200316_090228.jpg

Ready to buy,  please elaborate on the details for mounting the Hotas and pedals onto the chair.

Are you using the mini-buttkicker?    I tried to use the larger unit in my second floor flight room and it vibrated and made so much noise the wife gave me

the ultimate threat  (its either me or that thing).

I have to bass shakers installed on the back of the seat and used u bolts and some sturdy cedar boards to mount the pedals to the seat. I moved the seat all the way back and attached the bass shakers to the board to try and counter balance the pedals.

20200316_144441.jpg

20200316_144509.jpg

20200316_144425.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, SCG_motoadve said:

Does  the motion cancellation works with Windows Mixed Reality headsets like HP reverb or Odyssey ?

Yes, it works with Windows mixed reality, but you must be playing a  steamvr game 

Built mine just over a year ago, added motion last year.  I'm going to add the tracktion plus platform next year.. 

CHairHmd1.jpg

CHair2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Considering purchase of the NLR V3 platform to add to my Ubutto Revolution cockpit.  Under the supported games, L2 Sturmovik: Great Battles Series (from Steam) is listed.  Can anyone confirm that the non-steam version also works?  I would think that there is no difference between the two for NLR software support, but unsure.

8 minutes ago, Toxin1 said:

Considering purchase of the NLR V3 platform to add to my Ubutto Revolution cockpit.  Under the supported games, L2 Sturmovik: Great Battles Series (from Steam) is listed.  Can anyone confirm that the non-steam version also works?  I would think that there is no difference between the two for NLR software support, but unsure.

The two versions are absolutely 100% the same. So, the only thing I think of, might be a dependency on some software components of STEAM, which tells me

NLR software would only work/support the STEAM platform, which would be a complete nonsense, if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 1:52 AM, M_Ross said:

Never could get my NON steam version to work with my V3...I've inquired thru their website..we shall see.

I can confirm that the Non-Steam version of IL-2GB does indeed work with the latest version of NLR V3 software. Took some DIY to get it to fit my Obutto setup, but it is so immersive in VR.:crazy:

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by Toxin1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! Is it possible to have the Buttkicker Gamer installed under the seat as well or is it too cramped with the motion platform?

Edited by frosen

I'm really interested in also buying the Motion Platform V3. It looks a bit hard to come by one of the two compatible Next Level Racing seats though...

Do you guys think that a generic racing seat like this would fit without any advanced modding/DIY?

https://www.amazon.es/MODAUTO-Deportivo-Semibaquet-Ajustable-Conducción/dp/B0798TN7V1/ref=sr_1_85?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=racing+seat&qid=1605650730&sr=8-85

Hi

I looked thru the manuals but couldn't find anything on alternative seats

I would contact support@nextlevelracing and ask them for compatibility

cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
RAAF492SQNOz_Steve

Thinking about a motion platform, for use with IL2, and as options are very limited in Australia am considering the NLR V3.0.

Now that many of the posters, in this thread, have had this unit for a while I would be interested in your experiences and current thoughts about it.

1. Has it been reliable?

2. Has the novelty worn off?

3. In hindsight, should you have chosen something else?

4. Did you fit a seat other than those supplied by NLR?

5. How did you persuade your partner (where applicable) that it was essential? :)

Not too worried about Q5 (yet 🤔) but feel free to give it a shot.

Edit: should have mentioned that I would be using with VR.

Thanks

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
VR mention, additional question

On 2/25/2021 at 2:54 AM, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Thinking about a motion platform, for use with IL2, and as options are very limited in Australia am considering the NLR V3.0.

Now that many of the posters, in this thread, have had this unit for a while I would be interested in your experiences and current thoughts about it.

1. Has it been reliable? So far no problems @ 4 months of daily use.

2. Has the novelty worn off? Not at all, but just like VR you do get used to it so you have better tolerance for the motion.  I did experience VR sickness when I forgot to have it on and it did feel like when I first started to use VR so it seems to mitigate VR sickness if you have not been able to get your "legs".

3. In hindsight, should you have chosen something else? For flying, it is very smooth and responsive. For me I am starting to believe that less is more when it comes to motion and VR.

4. Did you fit a seat other than those supplied by NLR? Yes, and it did take some DIY engineering to make it work. I would start with the GTUltimate if I was doing it again and go with all NLR components.

5. How did you persuade your partner (where applicable) that it was essential? :) Guys have hobbies and this one is not very expensive compared to $130-170/hr rental for a Cessna 172.

Not too worried about Q5 (yet 🤔) but feel free to give it a shot.

Edit: should have mentioned that I would be using with VR.

Thanks

Well worth it for VR. Also works great in DCS, MSFS2020, X-Plane, AeroFly FS2 and even War Thunder.

Edited by Toxin1
  • Like 2

hsthhsth

@Toxin1,

Since I have the Obutto R3volution with MGF Crosswind I wonder if it is possible to attach the floor plate of the Obutto to the NLR V.3. I can see in your video that you have attached the stick and throttle to the seat so they move with the seat. But would that also work for the pedals?

And your statement on 'more is less', does that mean lowering the effects or lessen the length of the movements? 

8 hours ago, hsthhsth said:

@Toxin1,

Since I have the Obutto R3volution with MGF Crosswind I wonder if it is possible to attach the floor plate of the Obutto to the NLR V.3. I can see in your video that you have attached the stick and throttle to the seat so they move with the seat. But would that also work for the pedals?

And your statement on 'more is less', does that mean lowering the effects or lessen the length of the movements? 

You would need to craft your own mounts for the pedals as the Obutto pedal mounts are designed to be attached to the front of the cockpit cage. I don't think there is enough room for the tight fit of the MGF Crosswinds to pitch up the max 10 degrees without hitting the sides of the cage. If you are ok with removing the front cockpit cage then you can see how ACG-kmac31 added his pedals.

For me the length of movement is fine, but I ended up lowering the default intensity (rate) of the effects to ~90% as the shifting of momentum was actually causing me to fatigue after about an hour. Those seatbelts get some real use.

• 2 weeks later...
Todt_Von_Oben
On 1/22/2020 at 6:17 AM, J5_Daedallus said:

Hi all

Just installed a motion platform to my flying seat today, flew a quick mission in QMB and couldn't stop laughing, at one point I felt like I was about to fall out of the cockpit after pulling a high G turn. I use an FFB 2 stick and when you land you can feel every bump. You can set up VR to work with it and there's an adapter for a butt kicker, all you need then is a fan and a white silk scarf and what you imagined as a kid 50 years ago after reading Biggles of 266 squadron, seems so real. :fly:

It really adds to the immersion and I would thoroughly recommend it, I'm retired, single, and this game is my only vice (almost), I appreciate not everybody can, or wants to spend £2.5k on a peripheral, but for those that are interested, it is easy to set up and for me, well worth it.

Are you using this to fly FLYING CIRCUS?  Or some other IL2 game?

What's the name of the operating program?  Sim Commander?  Sim Tools? Or...?

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

J5_Daedallus

I use it for Flying Circus.

Don't ask me any technical questions, as far as I know it has its own OS, although I'm sure somebody can tell you on here.

cheers

PS If you get one, make sure you install the seat belts, I thought they were cosmetic, they aren't.

• Upvote 1

Todt_Von_Oben
9 hours ago, J5_Daedallus said:

I use it for Flying Circus.

Don't ask me any technical questions, as far as I know it has its own OS, although I'm sure somebody can tell you on here.

cheers

PS If you get one, make sure you install the seat belts, I thought they were cosmetic, they aren't.

Outtasight!  You didn't have to insert any code or anything like that; you just plugged in, started FC1, and it works?  That is great news; makes me optimistic FC1 might work with either Sim Tools or Sim Commander.  

Right now I'm moving my FC1 seat, stick, and pedals (plus the Oculus and haptics) out of the way to make room for the YAW.  Will get it working with WIFI first; then go to the cable to see what programs it recognizes.

Man, if it just plugs in and works, that's going to be so cool.  I've got two chances: my SimXperience SCN5 3DOF components with Sim Commander; and the YAW with Sim Tools.  My SimX rig is like your seat actuators and basically made for automotive simulations but will work with aviation, too.

What company did you buy your components from?  I can find out if you're running Sim Commander, Sim Tools, or sim-thing else. :cool:  Knowing that would help a lot at this point.

This is Friday afternoon here.  I'll try to get the YAW working and maybe run a preliminary test on my SimX components; will report here.

Meanwhile, If we could know what company you bought from; that would help us learn what program was successful for you.  if there's something out there that works besides ST and SC, that would be good to know.  The more options for making this work with FC, the better.

Thanks!

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben
  • Upvote 1

J5_Daedallus

If you look at the early posts, all is revealed. Yes you plug it in and it works, it is on the list of games supported by 'Next level racing'.

cheers

• Thanks 1

Charlo-VR

I got a used Motion Platform V3 and a new one of their seats yesterday. After a couple of hours of challenging assembly, I was quickly laughing as the seat threw me around in a 109, then a Dr III, then a Camel! I had to dial back the intensity to 35, and even with that I can tell my gunners accuracy is going to become worse, but it’s worth it.

In addition to pitch and roll telemetry data, I was hoping IL-2 would include acceleration/surge telemetry data, but the stock profile doesn’t include it. Has anyone figured out how to add that, perhaps connected with throttle axis movement?

Any suggested settings to the stock IL-2 profile would be most welcome, too 😎

• Upvote 2

Todt_Von_Oben

I am SO into getting this figured out.

I am clearly the least knowledgeable here but I bought a YAW and the SimX components for a 3DOF platform.

I've been campaigning for a Flying Circus plug-in to SimTools because some said it was necessary.  Now I've read of two users who say it runs fine.  That's good to hear.  My opinions are always amendable in light of further understanding and it sounds like this works better than I thought it did.

At 285# I'm too heavy for the YAW but my wife is okay with it.  So far we've only gotten it working in test mode but soon we will have her riding the roller coaster in VR with the Quest 2.  I'll just have to lose weight.

The YAW is compatible with SimTools.  There's also a library of plug-ins for sale.

Of course, the SimX Developers can't say their products work with someone else's program; but he did say he was aware people had done it.

So I'm expecting SimTools will run FC1 on the YAW and my DIY simulator.  

This thread has been very informative and encouraging; thank you.  I've got my actuator rig set up on the table right now.  Will download SimTools and hopefully it will react to FC1.

Film at eleven...  :cool:  

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
On 3/2/2021 at 10:37 AM, Toxin1 said:

4. Did you fit a seat other than those supplied by NLR? Yes, and it did take some DIY engineering to make it work. I would start with the GTUltimate if I was doing it again and go with all NLR components.

Took your advice and have just ordered a NLR GT Track cockpit that had a useful 12% discount.  GTUltimate was not in stock, possibly now superseded by the GT Track?

Hopefully it and the motion platform will turn up in the next couple of weeks. 😵 

Now to explain to the wife that all these packages that turn up are for the house renovation 🤥

• Haha 3

Charlo-VR

Here are my Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 settings for IL-2 Great Battles. I’m curious how similar others’ settings might be

89A97754-2777-4517-87AE-267707789A27.jpeg

• Like 1

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
15 minutes ago, Hoots said:

I wish I hadn’t stumbled across this thread...

When commenting on this thread I think you need to get into the spirit of things, doesn't 

"I wish I hadn't pitched severely and rolled slightly across thread" bring out more e-motion and depth of feeling i.e. DOF 😏

But I suppose I could be accused of yawing off topic 🙄

P.S. I am just passing the time until my 2 DOF rig turns up. I am sure if you give a motion rig a try you will find it a real hoot!

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1