chiliwili69

Index Sold Out in all 31 Regions

All due to Half Life Alyx. Brilliant move by Valve to both build excitement for the new Half Life VR Game and sell a helluva lot of new Index headsets.

They have been sold out for a while now.

Great for VR.

Flight sims play a very small role in the overall VR picture which is why the poll numbers would be skewed.

I know I will be grabbing the game as soon as it is available.

Edited by dburne

Still not even available in my region. Was ready to hit the buy now button back in May/June yet still unavailable. Vive is starting to fall apart after almost 4 years of use now. Not holding my breath that I will get my hands on it before the release of Alyx.

If you have the cash lying around check out the new Pimaxes (Vision series: 8K+, 8KX with deluxe modular audio straps especially), the headset units are incredible and won the CES2020's AR/VR award, especially for flightsims, and even more comfy and lighter than the Index. As you already have lighthouses with your Vive - same eco systems - you can even get Index controllers along with it or keep using your good old wands.

Even the 5K+ headsets (post SN203) are without distortions nowadays, but need the DMAS/Vive DAS.

Pimax got decent support now, good built quality and ruggedized housings. Start-up company starting to mature.

The 200° FOV (vs Index' 130° or Vive's 115°) help tremendously with checking your own six by the way. And IL-2 has recently been patched to support Pimaxes natively now.

I didn´t know but Alyx is free to all Index owners.

I normally only play IL-2 and very occasionally some demos/games.

But being free I will take a look.  But I have not controllers and only one basestation!

Perhaps it will work with the Quest and the PC link cable... will see.

BTW, it seems that Valve will try to restore stock before the release of Alyx:

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-stock-to-return-before-alyx/

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I didn´t know but Alyx is free to all Index owners.

I normally only play IL-2 and very occasionally some demos/games.

But being free I will take a look.  But I have not controllers and only one basestation!

Perhaps it will work with the Quest and the PC link cable... will see.

BTW, it seems that Valve will try to restore stock before the release of Alyx:

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-stock-to-return-before-alyx/

Yes Quest with Link will do fine with it.

Definitely need controllers for Alyx.

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Bullshit 😁. This is getting annoying now. There has been a fall-out and flamewar over it, as it's simply a lie. They misquoted deliberately. What neutral News outlet does that, tell me? I've heard Pimax even consults lawyers over this. Pimax had closed their British support office due to Brexit and the ensueing reorganization. They relocate the European one to Germany, open one in France, and reopen theirs in the US. They respond customers within days - I have had a better support experience with Pimax, than with Oculus' weeks of support-bot crunching.

By the way, UploadVR didn't even mention that Pimax won the official CES2020 AV/VR award, and have so far always painted a negative picture of the former startup company. If you read that page, you'll believe that Oculus is publishing the best devices... not even Valve comes close to Oculus according to them. I've had the Rift S as well for a week. Even the older Pimax 5K+ is better in every single aspect, which I've kept over the Index because it offered the same image quality plus a wider FOV. 

Then, the 8KX is the first generation 2 device, and nothing comes even close. Even the 8K+ is without competition. They have such a good product being released soon with better picture quality than Reverb, higher FOV than Index, and better comfort than any other headset, hell even the sound drivers will be the best (HiFi grade) - the competition cannot help but throw shit / look for a news blackout among their influencers.

I'm not getting anything out of promoting Pimax - I just feel that people miss out. They just quote influencer websites like UploadVR - like you just did @dburne, instead of actually trying the different devices. You don't even know what you're missing. That's the sad part. And the result is: You run a VW Golf on a Porsche 911's engine, if I'm looking at your hardware specs.

My 2c of brutal German honesty.

You'll thank me when you've tried it.

P.S.  @chiliwili69 

Spoiler

You seem to base your opinion on the (problematic) state of the Pimax software in early July 2019, 7 months ago, if I remember correctly, you had issues with clarity, which is not today's truth. In July, Pimax' distortion profiles were crap, rendered to native pixel alignment was off due to SteamVR, there was/is a hard pixel cap due to SteamVR (thanks Valve), and you needed Parallel Projection for IL-2. Nowadays on a 5K+ SN203/204 you get a proper distortion profile, incredible clarity similar / better than Index due to proper pixel alignment and native support (no PP needed), a way to remove the hard maximum on horizontal pixels, 120Hz if you choose to, 200° FOV to check your six, Index Controllers working natively with HL Alyx for free (bound to Index Controllers) - all of that with the Pimax 5K+. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

My 2c of brutal German honesty.

You'll thank me when you've tried it.

Not.gonna.happen.

My 3 cents worth of brutal American honesty.

I would get Index long before Pimax. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Well, they say ignorance is bliss, too.

LOL , so now I am ignorant. Nice going Fenris.

Edited by dburne

Well, I said "you should try it". How would you call your response then?

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Not.gonna.happen.

My 3 cents worth of brutal American honesty.

I would get Index long before Pimax. 

Just now, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Well, I said "you should try it". How would you call your response then?

Honest.

3 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You're dodging the point like a weasel now.

Seriously??

Just how the hell do you consider my stating I will not ever try a Pimax and that I would get Index before I would get Pimax " dodging any point"??

Just how much clearer does it have to be made to you??

Edit: Nice job on the name calling btw.

Edited by dburne

Ignorance was a bit harsh, maybe. "Not knowing is a bliss". Have a good day.

It's your loss. Stubborn like a horse.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Ignorance was a bit harsh, maybe. "Not knowing is a bliss". Have a good day.

It's your loss. Stubborn like a horse.

No loss on my end.

Edit: Again nice job on the name calling, I am  ignorant and a weasel. 

I shall not return the favor.

Edited by dburne

On the topic of Pimax customer service in China or US: 

Just theoretically - If it was true, why exactly would that be important? Is it a bad point? I'm sure they'll never move their customer service to Hungary but that will be the last of my concerns when deciding if I want a Pimax or not.

I'll be honest - I did not read the actual article. 

And something on the joke side (at least intended that way) - moving customer service centers to Asia is exactly the characteristics of a maturing company , is it not? 

21 hours ago, dburne said:

No loss on my end.

Edit: Again nice job on the name calling, I am  ignorant and a weasel. 

I shall not return the favor.

Whoa, hold on here guys.

You both are major contributors to the forum.

We all know that dburne is a supporter of any HMD other that Pimax and

we all suspect that Swiever and Fenris are brothers.

I am a satisfied 5K+ Pimax VR user that started with the CV1 and used it happily for years 

I would go back to back to Oculus or to another HMD if they provided what I feel is the most important factor and that is  natural vision clarity and especially a large FOV.

Pimax has done a great job with good clarity and the 200 FOV with my 5K+.

I am planning to buy a new rig when Nvidea issues a 3080Ti and Intel issues a new more powerful CPU and 

hopefully PIMAX can have the 8KX shipping by then.

Granted PIMAX hasn't done well on deliveries as I am still waiting for the lighthouses and controllers I paid for quite some time ago.

So to each his own

Edited by fiddlinjim
left out info

True, yea, that shipping part may be a large part of where the hate is coming from, the other one being, that the top-of-the-line is simply not easy enough on the portemonnaie. It's a shame, as the more the more they sell and produce, the better economics of scale come into play, making the 8K+/8KX more affordable as well.

I am neither brother nor cousin of Sweviver though 😁! I managed to setup the 5K+ properly, had almost every important headset at home, and compared them. Hence my opinion. This came to be the same way like these guys' opinions... by trying them: https://youtu.be/pvC0CyF-nIQ

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:41 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You seem to base your opinion on the (problematic) state of the Pimax software in early July 2019, 7 months ago, if I remember correctly, you had issues with clarity, which is not today's truth. In July, Pimax' distortion profiles were crap, rendered to native pixel alignment was off due to SteamVR, there was/is a hard pixel cap due to SteamVR (thanks Valve), and you needed Parallel Projection for IL-2. Nowadays on a 5K+ SN203/204 you get a proper distortion profile, incredible clarity similar / better than Index due to proper pixel alignment and native support (no PP needed), a way to remove the hard maximum on horizontal pixels, 120Hz if you choose to, 200° FOV to check your six, Index Controllers working natively with HL Alyx for free (bound to Index Controllers) - all of that with the Pimax 5K+. 

As you said, Pimax has improved some aspects from the review I made in July.

I could have the Pimax8KX at almost half price (backer) but I have not done that because this three reasons:

- The lenses: The Index lenses are quite superior to the Pimax lenses, regarding the focus around and the clarity

- The Performance: I made several tests with Pimax5K+ and 1080Ti, and you can not go to 100%. For sure newer cards, and improved techniques would help.

- The Price: Even at backer price I consider that the Pimax8KX (just headset is expensive). I really don´t understand why they raised the prices sooo high. The panels alone doesn´t justify that.

Currently the Index delivers me a nice experience and for this year I will concentrate in having better performance/better setting with a better PC.

Nevertheless, in 2021, when the new cards are well tested and there will be more reviews of the Pimax5KX I could consider an upgrade. If the price is reasonable then.

In any case, I love the Pimax guys for pushing the VR limits.

• Thanks 1

Well, in July I would have agreed with all 3, but nowadays I need to update you on lenses, and on performance. I agree on the high price.

Lenses: I am 100% certain your issues were caused by the worse distortion profiles they had in July 2019. The lenses were not to blame. This has been fixed by distortion profiles, and by improved screens. Since October they have new displays in the 5K+, anything equal or newer than 5K+ SN204. In my opinion the Index lenses are a bit worse, as focus around and clarity is the same - while the Index lenses produce a too strong glare for my liking. I have good 20/20 vision, but am easily blinded by glare. Maybe that's a personal thing.

Performance: A larger FOV needs more performance, yes. If we set the Pimax' FOV to "small" mode, we can compare performance. In general, performance req is higher for games that require Parallel Projection, slap on 20%. IL-2 has been adjusted and patched on rendering mask/object culling to recognize Pimax headsets, so Parallel Projection is not necessary anymore. The result is not just a sharper picture, but also much better performance, since you don't need PP anymore. Ironically, the Index has (soft) Parallel Projection turned on 24/7. And you cannot disable it.

By the way, I have been test-flying 120Hz. Easy to keep on Berloga, and it's absolutely fantastic in IL-2. But on the other servers, it seems like the clouds (extreme) and trees hit the framerate like Myke Tyson would, bringing it down to 50Hz on KOTA/CB. Much higher delta than what I had expected (your excel was quite handy). Have you attempted testing that yet specifically?

Don't know if everyone saw this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/01/29/half-life-alyx-gives-vr-new-life-as-valve-sells-103000-index-headsets-last-quarter/#134f37de1174

According to SuperData, Valve shipped 149,000 headsets in 2019, with its holiday sales doubling the previous quarter.

The more consumer-friendly Oculus Quest also experienced sell outs as it made its way to 705,000 units shipped in 2019.

Those are big numbers, more than I expected. Good news for the future of VR.

5 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

Don't know if everyone saw this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/01/29/half-life-alyx-gives-vr-new-life-as-valve-sells-103000-index-headsets-last-quarter/#134f37de1174

Those are big numbers, more than I expected. Good news for the future of VR.

They are big numbers, but Palmer Luckey (who happens to know a thing or two about VR headsets) regularly dumps on SuperData for putting out junk data. Sad to see Forbes so desperate for eyeballs that their contributors can publish unverified numbers, but then the state of journalism is pretty dire.

I don't mean to diss Valve, I'm sure they've sold a LOT of headsets, but this particular source of estimates is pretty bogus.

https://twitter.com/palmerluckey/status/862969165270962176

That's absolutely true. I'd also go with Palmer's btw, even if he's receiving contra now. 

Just guys who used fabricated data and mislabeled these as "statistics".

Regardless of that, however: The more and quicker VR grows as a market, the better for everyone. It has become the fastest growing segment with gaming by now afaik. Still emerging.

Just received my new Reverb today. Unbelievable resolution compared to my rift cv1. Hate the headest- heavy, clunky, and uncomfortable. The wiring is bulky and heavy as well. 

When shopping to replace my Rift I wasn’t worried about price, I just want best resolution. Did I buy the wrong device? Should I have gone with Pimax?

4 minutes ago, 1_Robert_ said:

Just received my new Reverb today. Unbelievable resolution compared to my rift cv1. Hate the headest- heavy, clunky, and uncomfortable. The wiring is bulky and heavy as well. 

When shopping to replace my Rift I wasn’t worried about price, I just want best resolution. Did I buy the wrong device? Should I have gone with Pimax?

Agree about the resolution: P38's cockpit felt so real to me I once caught myself wanting to grab its yoke instead of my joystick.

Regarding weight:  most of the headset's reviews actually praised it for being pretty light, so I am surprised you don't share those opinions. The wiring is indeed bulky though.

1 hour ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Agree about the resolution: P38's cockpit felt so real to me I once caught myself wanting to grab its yoke instead of my joystick.

Regarding weight:  most of the headset's reviews actually praised it for being pretty light, so I am surprised you don't share those opinions. The wiring is indeed bulky though.

Interesting. Maybe I’m misinterpreting the the feel of the headset. With my Rift, I didn’t know the darn thing was even on. I notice the reverb will get moved around on my face when moving my head even though it’s tight. I have it so tight in fact it marks my face where I never had that in the Rift. 

I wore it today for an hour or so and I could feel it in my neck a bit. I don’t know, it’s just awkward and uncomfortable. Maybe I’ll get used to it. I’ll have to I guess since I couldn’t go back to the old resolution. 

It would be nice to marry the rift headset and reverb visuals. 

You can not say the Reverb is heavy since it is not. (among all other headsets). But the cable is rigid and heavy.

I have been using for long periods in IL-2 the Rift CV-1,  VivePro,  Pimax5K+, Index and Reverb. And the Rift-S and Quest for short periods (15 min) for other applications.

IMHO, In terms of comfort the best out-of-the-box device is the Rift CV1, followed by the Rift-S even it is using the halo design.

But it depends of the shape of your face and head.

With the Pimax5K+ I had to put the DAS fixing and custom cushion.

With the Index I had to  make weight compensation in the back side. Now it is OK, for long periods.

The new Pimax line (8KX, 8K+) has the new "confort kit" which support a bigger area of the face. I think this will help in confort but not tried yet.

Maybe try suspending the wire from the ceiling via bungee or those “office swipe card spring thingies”. I’ve done this with my Rift S and it makes a world of difference. I can thrash around checking six and never get tangled, never sit on the cable.

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Maybe try suspending the wire from the ceiling via bungee or those “office swipe card spring thingies”. I’ve done this with my Rift S and it makes a world of difference. I can thrash around checking six and never get tangled, never sit on the cable.

Good idea. 

I have to admit though, I’m already getting used to it and while it’s not nearly as comfortable as my Rift, it’s manageable. The resolution is just crazy compared to the Rift, I’m finally getting to see how beautiful this game is. 

As well, I might now have to take the f14 for a spin around Nevada in the other game, it should look good. 

An extension to the Reverb is not trivial afaik, you need to get the right cable with repeater or something. Google that point explicitly first before pressing any purchase buttons, it'll save you money. 

You didn't go much wrong, now with half of China being in lockdown and Pimax' employees being confined to their houses, the release date of the 8KX has been pushed further. The 8K+ has been and is being delivered already, but while it has the 8KX screens and thus similar SDE/PPI, its picture is supposedly softer, and with a bit less detail due to the upscaler. Since both are in another price range than the Reverb, I don't think you made a mistake. You got the most price efficient 4K resolution there is.

You would have just waited much longer and spent much more money. So enjoy your Reverb 👌

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

An extension to the Reverb is not trivial afaik, you need to get the right cable with repeater or something. Google that point explicitly first before pressing any purchase buttons, it'll save you money. 

You didn't go much wrong, now with half of China being in lockdown and Pimax' employees being confined to their houses, the release date of the 8KX has been pushed further. The 8K+ has been and is being delivered already, but while it has the 8KX screens and thus similar SDE/PPI, its picture is supposedly softer, and with a bit less detail due to the upscaler. Since both are in another price range than the Reverb, I don't think you made a mistake. You got the most price efficient 4K resolution there is.

You would have just waited much longer and spent much more money. So enjoy your Reverb 👌

Ok, good to know and I appreciate your feedback. I’m still convinced it’s a bit clunky and uncomfortable but I’m closer to being used to it and I’m happy.

On the plus side, I find myself using less zoom as I can see small dots now. 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:34 AM, 1_Robert_ said:

I notice the reverb will get moved around on my face when moving my head even though it’s tight. I have it so tight in fact it marks my face where I never had that in the Rift. 

Maybe this helps to alleviate some discomfort issues?

Reverb mod.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, apollon01 said:

Maybe this helps to alleviate some discomfort issues?

Reverb mod.jpeg

Thanks for that, tried it and I suppose it’s a bit better. Regardless, it’s not a big deal and I’m enjoying the headset. I flew the other game last night and it was a complete game changer with the visibility.

The question I have now is how do you get rid of the small tracking dot? I find it annoying when spotting planes, I always think I’ve spotted one then realize it’s the tracking dot.  

3 hours ago, 1_Robert_ said:

tracking dot

What is it? I never noticed anything weird neither in Il2 nor in DCS... 🤔