Sign in to follow this  
ICDP

Pimax 5K+, 8K and new 8K+ through the lens comparison (not Il-2)

I have to say I am very impressed with the improvement in clarity and colours with the 8K+.  The 8KX will be better again.

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 1

IF i consider an upgrade i would only go with the 8KX since this will REALLY be the best you can do in terms of clarity. No more SS needed i hope.
Well. Will be quite a while till i have enough money for that.

2 minutes ago, Winger said:

IF i consider an upgrade i would only go with the 8KX since this will REALLY be the best you can do in terms of clarity. No more SS needed i hope.
Well. Will be quite a while till i have enough money for that.

Or the system to run it...

;)

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Or the system to run it...

;)

Sorry to be blunt, but no 😁

I can run it perfectly fine on my MSI RTX2080ti Trio X Gaming. How I did it? 

Spoiler

Pimax8KX needs 16,588,800 pixels at 75Hz provided = 13.3ms frametime.

To test this throughput with the 5K+, I take 16,588,800 pixels * 75Hz/90Hz = 13,824,000 pixels at 90Hz provided = 11.1ms frametime on 5K+.

That's a total supersampling ratio of 1.875, remember - we have a squareroot in there to solve with an aspect ratio of 16:9 on 2 displays. Quick basic maths result in 3505 pixels for the horizontal resolution. Pull the slider to it while on large FOV in 5K+ and do the testrun.

Viola, holds 90Hz. Now the kicker: The frametime requirement here is important for the CPU: It is lower.

The conclusion is, I can run the 8KX easily on native resolution. I can even run it at 110% total supersampling, even though I believe that's not really necessary when you have 2* real 4K screens, one in front of each eye. And the CPU requirement is lower than for the 5K+. The CPU requirement should also be lower for the 8KX than for the Index - slightly if it runs at 90Hz, and much lower than if the Index runs at 120Hz.

So @dburne: Your machine should be able to run it as well. With better picture quality than anything else on the market, a VR IMAX at home.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Sorry to be blunt, but no 😁

I can run it perfectly fine on my MSI RTX2080ti Trio X Gaming. How I did it? 

Reveal hidden contents

Pimax8KX needs 16,588,800 pixels at 75Hz provided = 13.3ms frametime.

To test this throughput with the 5K+, I take 16,588,800 pixels * 75Hz/90Hz = 13,824,000 pixels at 90Hz provided = 11.1ms frametime on 5K+.

That's a total supersampling ratio of 1.875, remember - we have a squareroot in there to solve with an aspect ratio of 16:9 on 2 displays. Quick basic maths result in 3505 pixels for the horizontal resolution. Pull the slider to it while on large FOV in 5K+ and do the testrun.

Viola, holds 90Hz. Now the kicker: The frametime requirement here is important for the CPU: It is lower.

The conclusion is, I can run the 8KX easily on native resolution. And the CPU requirement is lower than for the 5K+. The CPU requirement should also be lower for the 8KX than for the Index - slightly if it runs at 90Hz, and much lower than if the Index runs at 120Hz.

Sorry I must have been confused, thought we were talking about the new Pimax unit that is not out yet.

5 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yes we are. I am talking about the 8KX.

Ok thought you had already run it. which had me a little confused, which is not hard to do lol.

I can run it perfectly fine on my MSI RTX2080ti Trio X Gaming.

• Haha 1

Having all three same input resolution I really don´t understand why the F1 car was showing better shadows over the red skin of the car. Perhaps the Pimax8K+ run with other settings or version of the game.

Having the 8KX I don´t see the point of the 8K+.

Being Pimax a small company perhaps they should focus in just 2-3 devices (Artisan, 5K+, 8KX), same design for all, improve software and reduce their typical delays.

I really want them to succeed but this 2020 I will pass with Pimax.

I do wonder if there is any way to push that many pixels at a decent frame-rate with current technology.  My rig can't maintain 90 Hz on the Reverb, and really the only way I might be able to do better is by adding a 2nd GPU.

I have just answered that above @jarg1

An RTX2080ti can handle the 8KX easily.

The Reverb has different problems I assume, I've read WMR is hard on performance nowadays, but I don't know, I had no WMR headset here in half a year. Had a DOA Reverb here but never perf tested it 😕

4 hours ago, jarg1 said:

I do wonder if there is any way to push that many pixels at a decent frame-rate with current technology.  My rig can't maintain 90 Hz on the Reverb, and really the only way I might be able to do better is by adding a 2nd GPU.

2nd GPU would do absolutely nothing for you in VR.

30 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I have just answered that above @jarg1

An RTX2080ti can handle the 8KX easily.

The Reverb has different problems I assume, I've read WMR is hard on performance nowadays, but I don't know, I had no WMR headset here in half a year. Had a DOA Reverb here but never perf tested it 😕

Fair enough, but then the question is how?  I might purchase a 8KX if I knew that I could run it at 90 Hz but I remain skeptical.  Also, I wonder what the pixels per degree are on it?

17 minutes ago, dburne said:

2nd GPU would do absolutely nothing for you in VR.

Probably right, though there are some other apps that supposedly benefit from it.

The 8KX runs at 75Hz max at 4K resolution

• Upvote 1

And dual GPUs don't help, quite the opposite in VR. You got to pull the second GPU out.

https://pitool.oss-us-east-1.aliyuncs.com/PiToolSetup_1.0.1.255.exe 86

Basic Release Notes (Revised with @SweViver)

1. Enable/disable screensaver/screen protection mode added
  2. Enable/disable standby/sleep mode added
  3. Image stutter optimized
  4. Occasional disconnection after long time running repaired
  5. Image blinking during application loading repaired.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-255-feb-26-2020/26214

I can confirm after short test that I haven't observed "flickering" loading map screen in Sturmovik  thanks to new PT !! Which is great news to me.

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

https://pitool.oss-us-east-1.aliyuncs.com/PiToolSetup_1.0.1.255.exe 86

Basic Release Notes (Revised with @SweViver)

1. Enable/disable screensaver/screen protection mode added
  2. Enable/disable standby/sleep mode added
  3. Image stutter optimized
  4. Occasional disconnection after long time running repaired
  5. Image blinking during application loading repaired.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-255-feb-26-2020/26214

I can confirm after short test that I haven't observed "flickering" loading map screen in Sturmovik  thanks to new PT !! Which is great news to me.

Thank you, this is indeed great!