Sign in to follow this  
QB.Creep

CPU / GPU "flatline" during stutter

I recently purchased fpsVR hoping to learn more about what is causing the intermittent stutter for me in VR. When I get these stutters, I notice that there is no frame timing data available in fpsVR (or in SteamVR's frame timing graph). I see a steady stream of frame data for my GPU and CPU, and then when the stutter occurs, it just drops all the way to nothing - no bars - then as the stutter ends, bars of data reappear. I would share a screenshot if I was able, but the overlay does not display when I take a screenshot from within the game. Curious if anyone here knows what might cause something like that. 

My rig is as follows:
CPU: i7 9700K

MB: ASRock Z390 Extreme4 

GPU: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

HDD: Samsung EVO M.2 950

VR: Samsung Odyssey+

I have been through all of the optimizations in these forums and have compared notes with friends that play, and I have everything set just as they do. One thing which is interesting to note... since 3dMigoto broke with the last update, I went back and played in pancake mode last night on max graphics settings. Literally turned everything up as high as it would go and I was getting 150+ FPS with zero stutters in multiplayer. 

Not sure where or what my bottleneck is. Thanks in advance for anyone that provides insight, specifically related to the "flatline" behavior that I am seeing in fpsVR and SteamVR's frame timing graphs.

Edited by QB.Creep
added emphasis on "flatline" behavior in fpsVR and SteamVR frame timing graphs

Have you tried a clean virgin install with no mods?

• Thanks 1

I fear that with the new full BOBP release 3dmigoto has caused me to take a huge performance loss.  I am going to do some testing today with 3dmi un installed

Edited by capt_nasties
  • Thanks 1

thanks @capt_nasties but I don't think that is related. I have uninstalled 3dMigoto for now using JSGME. No change in performance, still get the stutter with the associated "flatline" of CPU/GPU activity in fpsVR and SteamVR's advanced frame timing graph.

39 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have you tried a clean virgin install with no mods?

Yes, I have @dburne. Completely reinstalled Windows in fact. 

I am most interested in understanding more about what is occurring on my PC when I see the "flatline" behavior in fpsVR and SteamVR's frame timing graph. 

Solved this issue myself by changing the USB port that I was using for my Odyssey+. While encountering the issue, I was using the USB 3.1 port on my MB that was directly next to my LAN cable. I moved it to a USB 3.0 port and the issues went away completely. 

Insane that this is what was causing my problem, but there you have it. VR is so finnicky!

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, QB.Creep said:

Solved this issue myself by changing the USB port that I was using for my Odyssey+. While encountering the issue, I was using the USB 3.1 port on my MB that was directly next to my LAN cable. I moved it to a USB 3.0 port and the issues went away completely. 

Insane that this is what was causing my problem, but there you have it. VR is so finnicky!

Maybe not related to your problems but my experience using an MSI Z270 that despite having an special VR-chip & VR USB port included and an Odyssey+. 

When you install the VR software it will show if your USB is capable by an “OK”, if neglecting this warning it always will be troublesome connection. Try to use another USB port. 

Normally USB ports are on a header of 2, 3 or more USB ports. If being connected to an VR HS, leave the other USB ports of that specific header, empty. 

Use the USB port that does have the VR (ready) marking. 

If being used, remove USB extenders cables. 

Hope it can help if having difficulty. 

Strangely now having an Gigabyte Aorus pro Z390, with no VR ready markings and no VR chip, it is running perfectly. No typical restart is needed. 

Edited by Dutch2