Danziger

The Sun

The sun is very large. The diameter should be closer to what the radius is currently. Is it possible to make it smaller through a mod? 

Yes it is possible. I'm not sure if the sun is really incorrect in size though. I'll have to do some math.

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 1:07 AM, LizLemon said:

Yes it is possible. I'm not sure if the sun is really incorrect in size though. I'll have to do some math.

Both moon and sun, very obvious in VR.

45 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

The sun and moon are about 3x too large.

Also look at this;

802322141_boseclipse.thumb.png.685fa3987087ade83eef75d3056348df.png

I seldom fly at night.  Is the moon that large when higher in the sky?  although it doesn't happen very often, if conditions are right the moon can look overly large close to the horizon under certain atmospheric conditions.  If that's always the size of the moon then yes, it is too large IMO.

Thanks for this,always did think the sun was too large😃

When you have the sun behind you and you look in your mirror, the sun has no reflection, this would be a lot work too fix,and properly will never be done by the devs.

also a smaller sun is good but can you make it even brighter

Not that I look in the mirror very often,the hun in the sun always gets me😲

Jepp, looks fine. I took the 2nd lens.bmp because of the smaller sunbeams.

Thank you.

Edited by vonGraf

Wow ...same gripe but I never thought about asking someone about changing it. There is one “Long Nose” scripted campaign mission when a formation of A-20’s fly directly into the huge sun hovering to the East, making a stern chase nearly impossible & deadly to boot , because even tho you can’t see them to aim properly,they however have a wonderfully illuminated no deflection shot at you, which they take full advantage of. So my thanks go out to you! Will give a try later today...beware evil Havocs...I might live through this mission this time!

Speaking of mods no one asked for.

Besides the moon being too large like the sun, it also lacks any kind of earthshine. This is not only wrong but also quite boring.

earthshine.thumb.jpg.c5d518e966e9aa7bfae3cadf0725fed6.jpg1152783731_earthshine2.thumb.jpg.c06eebcee6da8397abe0a45afcca54ff.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to make it have a correct orientation....

earthsine + scale 3dmigoto.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LizLemon said:

Speaking of mods no one asked for................

Sorry LizLemon, I understand how to use JSGME etc without problem but I don't know the correct directory structure to use to create the mod folder for what you've supplied. eg I'm guessing it will be data\graphics\something

Could you please advise?

Thanks

6 hours ago, LizLemon said:

Speaking of mods no one asked for.

Besides the moon being too large like the sun, it also lacks any kind of earthshine. This is not only wrong but also quite boring.

earthshine.thumb.jpg.c5d518e966e9aa7bfae3cadf0725fed6.jpg1152783731_earthshine2.thumb.jpg.c06eebcee6da8397abe0a45afcca54ff.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to make it have a correct orientation....

earthsine + scale 3dmigoto.zip 3.83 kB · 4 downloads

Errr… how can I use this? Doesn't look like a normal mod...?

Thanks for this 😎

What are the two text files for?

20d115971f21fa74-ps

c730591aefe3b6c9-vs

6 hours ago, T_O_A_D said:

Thanks for this 😎

What are the two text files for?

20d115971f21fa74-ps

c730591aefe3b6c9-vs

These are the rewritten shaders that make the game draw the sun.

You must install 3dmigoto (though the mod has been wiped from the forum, so good luck? It should be back up and working soon I hope), installing the mod will create some folders in your game directory (IL2\bin\...). You have to put those text files into the "shaderfixes" folder - overwriting where necessary.

The above fixes may not work as of the latest patch, a lot has changed in terms of shaders.

So you may be out of luck for now, but we will see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It still works for me and I've never tried migoto.

Edit: Didn't see the part about the moon. I've just been using the sun mod.

@LizLemon is it possible to combine this with your simulated eye lens flare with eyelash filter?

Edited by Danziger

13 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

These are the rewritten shaders that make the game draw the sun.

You must install 3dmigoto (though the mod has been wiped from the forum, so good luck? It should be back up and working soon I hope), installing the mod will create some folders in your game directory (IL2\bin\...). You have to put those text files into the "shaderfixes" folder - overwriting where necessary.

The above fixes may not work as of the latest patch, a lot has changed in terms of shaders.

So you may be out of luck for now, but we will see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

I actually installed both in JSGME but left out the text files, and it appears to work, with the latest version.

I was also wondering about the flare too, and am going to try it today also.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:21 AM, T_O_A_D said:

Thanks

I actually installed both in JSGME but left out the text files, and it appears to work, with the latest version.

I was also wondering about the flare too, and am going to try it today also.

Ah apologies, the "sun" mod seems to be a normal mod, moon is 3dmigoto. Bit of a mixed bag but oh well.

• Like 1

Gents - Just my 2 cents:popcorm:. Technically the sun might be too large, but ascetically I think it is well modeled based on what the eye perceives. A good example is to look at the real moon in the evening. It may appear quite large and appealing. Then try to photograph that same moon (even zoomed in) and you will see that the photo does not at all look as good as what you are seeing by eye.

I also like the way the sun halo shines over the cockpit frame even when masked, this again simulates the lingering blinding effect of the sun:coffee:.

(PS. I base my observation when I compare IL2 to other sims that draw heavenly bodies to their correct sizes:P)