Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Clouds and VR

Anyone that have managed to get clouds running OK-ish in VR? Some mod? Settings?

That is my main gripe with VR in BoX that is otherwise awesome...

I run them at high settings and they look fine to me. what is your problem with them?

35 minutes ago, SAG said:

I run them at high settings and they look fine to me. what is your problem with them?

I can't speak for him, but since the update clouds have been an FPS killer for me. I was able to run 80-90 FPS with high-quality clouds in 8 vs 8 dogfights over Kuban and in career mode. Since the update, I have had to lower the cloud quality to medium and I still get the occasional sub 60 FPS.  I spent a lot of time tweaking my settings, benchmarking and making adjustments to get everything just right. I'd really like to know what changed.

i9-9900k OC to 5.1
RTX 2070 OC (+100 core +500 mem clock)
Rift CV1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Is it the clouds that's dragging down VR right now?  I've been tearing my hair out for days since the new patch trying to figure out what it is that trashed my frame rate.  I'll have to try a cloud-free mission now and see.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, mazex said:

Anyone that have managed to get clouds running OK-ish in VR? Some mod? Settings?

Try this mod I made. I fly VR and it seems to help with the frame rates and less stuttering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It definitely helps but I still get some micro-stutter where I had none before the patch.  Frustrating.  I think I better just play DCS rather than keep trying to get this to work like it used to.

6 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Try this mod I made. I fly VR and it seems to help with the frame rates and less stuttering

Nice!  Where do I put the files?

43 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

Is it the clouds that's dragging down VR right now?  I've been tearing my hair out for days since the new patch trying to figure out what it is that trashed my frame rate.  I'll have to try a cloud-free mission now and see.  

Yes, i lose 30 fps.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cmorris975 said:

Nice!  Where do I put the files?

Do u have JSMGE? If no, then program files/il2/data/graphics/sky

Edited by rowdyb00t

Hi guys, I have VR about ten days and I am not an expert, but I have noticed the same behaviour as Yardstickfb. Without clouds I have 90 fps steady, but when I set clouds , even at the minimum level, my fps drop to 50-60.

Next time I will try to test rowdyb00t's mod to see if I can have improvements.

Ciao!

Marco

Edited by Marvel

11 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

This worked out pretty well. At first I was thrown off by the sky color, but now I really like it!

Somehow your mod gave me a few FPS back, and it looks great. Thank you!

16 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Looks good - and it will not ban you from multiplayer etc as it changes the visual behaviour of the game?

23 minutes ago, mazex said:

Looks good - and it will not ban you from multiplayer etc as it changes the visual behaviour of the game?

This only works with mods on. When I turn mods off for multiplayer the clouds return to stock game. 

On 10/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, rowdyb00t said:

Do u have JSMGE? If no, then program files/il2/data/graphics/sky

Do you mean that I need to put the entire "sky" folder from your download into the "graphics" folder on my game install?

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you mean.

Thanks.

@cmorris975

in your game directory do you have a mods file?

if you do, unpack the zip into this with JSGME. Or you can copy the sky file and paste it to 

Your C:/ProgramFiles/1cGameStudios/IL2Sturmovik/data/graphics/    Sky 

So yes, put the sky file in the graphics folder. Make sure you have Mods On ticked in the game menu. Let me know if this helps :)

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1

@cmorris975 JSMGE is a utility that enables mods. It is very handy. Here's the link - https://www.filecroco.com/download-jsgme/

Download and unzip it and paste it in - D:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles. Open the file and create a desktop icon by right clicking the JSGME app file and send it to desktop.

Download and unzip rowdyboot's mod. Extract the file folder and place it in -  D:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\MODS

Now click on the JSGME desktop icon you will see your mods listed on the left. Highlight the mod you want enabled and click the arrow to move it into the box on the right. Close and the mod is activated.

• Like 1

Sadly the hit my FPS took was serious specially in BoBP map + clouds 

Moscow map - cloud = 54 FPS

used to be 80-90

Moscow map + clouds = 45 FPS

Used to be 70-80 fps

BOBP + clouds = 35-44 FPS

BOBP map - clouds = 45 FPS

BoBP map : playing induces sweating around the eyes which is indicator of eyes straining

so clearly there is something wrong in VR optimization in this update

Specifications :

VR: Valve index 

intel core i7-8700k Overclocked 4.6Ghz

nvidia 1080ti 11GB

ram: DDR4 32Gb 3200Mhz Overclocked 

steam VR settings 

VR refresh rate : 144mhz 

application resolution in VR = 130%
video = 100%

Nvidia panel settinga 

Set to apply High performance 

7 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@cmorris975

in your game directory do you have a mods file?

if you do, unpack the zip into this with JSGME. Or you can copy the sky file and paste it to 

Your C:/ProgramFiles/1cGameStudios/IL2Sturmovik/data/graphics/    Sky 

So yes, put the sky file in the graphics folder. Make sure you have Mods On ticked in the game menu. Let me know if this helps :)

Got it working guys, thank you.

Rowdy, the clouds look great!

Unfortunately I still getting a lot of "ghosting" of planes, although I do think Rowdy's clouds are easier on my system.  

I'm hoping the new patch that is coming will fix this as I really was enjoying all the new content before the last patches killed my frame rate.

• Like 1

It looks like the clouds are drawn last and thus they interfere when an AI airplane in front of me has a cloud behind it in the background - full of artifacts and disappearing pieces. Is there any setting to help with that?

These new clouds though really look better - smooth edges.

1 hour ago, whitav8 said:

Is there any setting to help with that?

try this mod @lefuneste has a cloud fix for this. 

5 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

try this mod @lefuneste has a cloud fix for this. 

According to this the cloud fix is bugged

This feature is disabled with 14.1, it is bugged