Lofte

Do you like new tank gun aiming system (Poll)?

New tank gun aiming system - pro et contra  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like new tank gun aiming system? Think it is better than old one?

• Yes
    • No
    • "New tank gun aiming system"? What's that?

It is indeed a complex problem to solve and seems everybody are partially correct.

There has to be compromise, however I feel current zooming in/out is simply too unrealistic.

When a gunner looked through a gunsight surely all the targeting lines, distance markers etc were always visible and in  the eye's field of view.

In this context zooming in to levels where parts of aiming grid are so big that they fall off the screen is unrealistic IMO.

The max zoom in should not allow to go past this point. 

I think the gunsight with highest FOV in game should be the reference point and fill the whole screen like the 2nd Tiger gunsight picture above. Every gunsight with lower fov should get scaled to that picture and simply the black area around should be bigger. No zoom in or out, fixed sight, unless the sight had dual magnification level like later tigers.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:49 AM, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Agree absolutely. I'm not exactly sure what the intentions are.

The visual field of the average person is roughly 180° (first person games typically choose a comfortable 90° field of view).

The Tiger has 2.5x magnification with a 25° field of view.

Strictly preserving geometry, the sight view should look roughly like this:

full_real.thumb.png.ed2af971e2063e134c7a9274ccccb966.png

The black area represents the gunner's peripheral vision obscured by the optic. Of course, this limited vision just doesn't work in a game and most would find it unplayable.

Some are arguing that we should fill the screen with the sight's usable area and fix it there.

zoomed.thumb.png.aa34a75d475495172147f76b6ea3b252.png

However, this isn't particularly "realistic" in any sense; the gunner's view never actually looked like this.

Therefore, as @chuter is saying, we should have zoom to adjust between views similar to the two images I've shown, letting the player choose between a roughly realistic visual field and a roughly realistic acuity.

It is important to note that the Tiger in game has a field of view much larger than 25°. I am only looking at the Tiger because I don't have much information on the other vehicles.

It really isn't the top one because the majority of that vision is peripheral vision which is non detailed and based on sudden changes e.g. Movement. When you are looking through a periscope/binoculars, your brain doesn't have access to that because your face is in the headrest. colour vision is ~60 degrees FOV, symbol recognition is ~40 degrees. 

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal

Since I am still new to TC, what was the aiming system like before? 

It was and in my opinion it is a big improvement. After last update all the aiming issues are gone. Bravo devs for relatively quick fix.

• Upvote 4

I am still trying to get my sights to light up...what key stroke command are they tied to? thanks!

3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I am still trying to get my sights to light up...what key stroke command are they tied to? thanks!

The key for switching the cabin lights on/off. When you are in the gunners position, the first time pressing the key will light up your sights, the second will light up the interior lights, the third turns everything off.

Thanks ...that explains why it worked sometimes & then not others..😫

Request to moderator - close this topic please.

Devs fixed aiming, no sense to vote anymore.

Thanks.

Nothing changed for me here! In Pz IV it's still a mess to aim, barrel sways around, hard to control. This is far away from a fixnot to mention a realistic manner.

And it really kills fun for me and I hope someone in development is taking care about that finally.

13 hours ago, I./ZG1_feuervogel said:

Nothing changed for me here! In Pz IV it's still a mess to aim

For me everything is changed. Now at miniamal zoom I can aim with no problems. Yellow pointer does not turn like hell now.

• Upvote 1

No more premature etrackulation, it would seem.  😁

The aiming is good now.Those,who whine -just want an arcade style of aiming  i guess...

Mouse aim is ok, but i would like to be able to bind it to an axis so i don't have to use joy2key for vr since i really don't like using the mouse and keyboard in vr.  Or the holy grail...being able to use the the vr hand controls to move the controls though that is a BIG ask that i don't think the engine could take.

I eventually realized that my setup (ultrabook + eGPU) was cpu-limited in IL-2, although Resource Monitor didn't clearly show that.

I built a new PC, now I believe I have an excess of clockcycles to throw at IL-2. At the same time that I was switching to the new PC, a new release came out.

Now the crazy aiming effects are gone for me, but I can't clearly attribute it, because of the timing of the release.

So, for those who still get 'drunk' aiming effects, I would suggest to look into a possible CPU bottleneck.

I was overall a little shocked at how the whole game feels completely transformed now, and feel downright deceived by Resource Monitor which didn't show clearly what was going on.

In my old setup, my eGPU (1070) was quite ok, so I am a little taken aback at how much, in IL-2, works in a really crappy way when the cpu is lacking.

Some algorithms, like this aiming functionality, apparently aren't written in such a way that the 'simulated' tank behaves the same. I think some kind of warning would be in order, to inform people that their cpu isn't able to perform the necessary computations timely enough.