AnPetrovich

Developer Diary 228 - Discussion

57 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Your assessments may be correct, but who is to know? My view is that online play may approximate a pyramid system in which there are organized groups at the top and cannon fodder beneath. How much time should I invest in MP in order to change my perspective? Routinely in RoF I meticulously scanned the sky as I climbed higher in order to keep SA, only to be jumped by another player who seemed to appear out of nowhere. When hit, there were seemingly only two effects. I was either wounded or blinded by an oil leak. OTOH in SP I could put numerous hits into enemy aircraft and they continued to fly. The only effect was gradual exhaustion of all the available damage decals until finally there was a PK and/or fire engulfment of the enemy aircraft. Taken together, these contrasts seemed to defy logic. Now add ping effects into that mix. If there were a ready means whereby online 1v1 matches could be had I might feel differently. Lacking that I don't think that my bias will change. Frankly IDK why MP requirements would deserve to be placed above all others.

Sorry, but in real life, instructors said that you are killed by the plane you didn't see.

I can't say if the situation you described is cheat or not, but according to my experience (which is mine, and i don't say having the true), i never see anything which seem to be a cheat on Rof and Il2. And i was killed many times, but it was always because my opponent was better than me, shoot better, know better than plane than me, fly like i shouldn't do, or i didn't see him.

We are not in a competitive game like some FPS, moba, etc... It's easier to put the fault on the cheat than on his own skill.

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Get back on topic, which is the DD. All other conversations should have take place somewhere else.

Haash

10 minutes ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

Hi all,

Get back on topic, which is the DD. All other conversations should have take place somewhere else.

Haash

What’s the realease date bud 

3 minutes ago, LP1888 said:

What’s the realease date bud 

As usual, when its done. As said by Jason, they are aiming for end of September.

Haash

19 minutes ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

As usual, when its done. As said by Jason, they are aiming for end of September.

Haash

Cheers grumpy lol

• Haha 1

Holy hell that P-38 cockpit is AMAZING! UGH I cant wait to get in there myself! I'm so hyped! =D

And new collector planes!? Oh man, I really really really REALLY hope one of them is the Li-2/C-47! That would make my entire year ❤️

You devs are amazing at what you're do. Keep up the FANTASTIC work ❤️

• Like 2

Serious combat flight WW2 sim without Hurricane is like soldier without the gun. Mk.IIb or bettr Mk.IIc version needed. In addition, I-153, Hs 123 and P-47B "Razorback" on Eastern Front (with Hurri of course).

I dream about British-Vichy conflict theatre: attack on Mers el-Kebir and bombing run on Gibraltar: British P-40, Hurri, Swordfish, Skua against French-Vichy D.520, LeO 451, Martin 167F, Amiot, Potez, etc.

5 hours ago, Blackmessiah1975 said:

Serious combat flight WW2 sim without Hurricane is like soldier without the gun. Mk.IIb or bettr Mk.IIc version needed. In addition, I-153, Hs 123 and P-47B "Razorback" on Eastern Front (with Hurri of course).

I dream about British-Vichy conflict theatre: attack on Mers el-Kebir and bombing run on Gibraltar: British P-40, Hurri, Swordfish, Skua against French-Vichy D.520, LeO 451, Martin 167F, Amiot, Potez, etc.

I wouldn't say the Hurricane is a must but it would be nice to have. Also, P-47B never served in combat, they were used mostly as trainers and were never sent overseas iirc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I wouldn't say the Hurricane is a must but it would be nice to have. Also, P-47B never served in combat, they were used mostly as trainers and were never sent overseas iirc.

I believe that it was the P-47C-5 and the P-47D-10 that where the "Razorbacks" that served in combat of course there may have also been more C- and D- variants that also served.

8 hours ago, Blackmessiah1975 said:

What is interesting to read in this DD is "Real pilots did not have zoom"

So I have a Question - This Game has great full fidelity flight modelling in BoX, complex engine management, realistic modelling of systems etc.. everything sounds nice until you read  "Real pilots did not have zoom" how realistic is it to have zoom feature anyway???

-> In other words if I have to zoom to visually re-acquire a target that can’t be more than 1 km away from me is this realistic, even correct?

The new "New View Distance for Airplanes" should it not look like this - prioritize not only maintaining sight of the target within visual range (less than 5 km), but also the ranges at which you should be able to identify the target and its aspect. This results in a magnification that’s relatively strong (about 1.5 km at very close ranges), but not so strong that it throws your sense of distance totally out of whack and it falls off quickly with range when planes becoming extremely difficult to spot when they are further away than 5 km.......................

1 hour ago, Livai said:

how realistic is it to have zoom feature anyway?

Because looking at a dot made a of a handful of pixels on a PC screen with a wall behind and the clutter of a room to either side is nothing like real life where your brain automatically narrows your whole mental focus into the target which is being rendered in more detail than any current technnology can match.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Because looking at a dot made a of a handful of pixels on a PC screen with a wall behind and the clutter of a room to either side is nothing like real life where your brain automatically narrows your whole mental focus into the target which is being rendered in more detail than any current technnology can match.

Nope, your brain focuses on this dot as well as on something you see out in nature. When you see just a dot on your screen, it might be simply because the aircraft is too far away, to recognize it as an aircraft. If this happens IRL, your brain won't show you an aircraft, just a dot, but you know, when it is in the air, the chance that it is an aircraft is pretty high. But this is not different on the screen. Of course you have disadvantages on a screen, but to zoom in to make the aircraft you see five times larger, is far away from realism.  

For me the best solution is to zoom in, until it looks as if I am sitting in the cockpit, and then never use the zoom again. You surely will see a bit worse, than IRL, especially the FOV is smaller with a 16:9 screen, but I am fine with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Will there be an announcement a few days ahead of the release of Boddenplatte?  It would give us a chance to backup important files before the launcher tells us unexpectedly that there is an update. Previous updates have affected some people's set up. 

1 hour ago, Deacon352nd said:

Will there be an announcement a few days ahead of the release of Boddenplatte?  It would give us a chance to backup important files before the launcher tells us unexpectedly that there is an update. Previous updates have affected some people's set up. 

How often do you guys change your setups? Because if not too often, it might be an idea to backup them now, and you surely won't get surprised by the update.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:59 PM, RedKestrel said:

Stuka was withdrawn as early as 1942 from the western front, I believe. Even in the BoB it took extremely heavy losses.

Stukas reappeared in the Western front - as a night harassment bomber. They were surprisingly active.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:16 PM, RedKestrel said:

RAF (and related commonwealth air forces) and USAAF I believe. I don't think the Luftwaffe or VVS had any equivalent, though the FW-190 pilot position apparently helped deal with G forces a bit.

I understand that some planes had features to help with with the pilots G forces - 109s/190s had reclined pilot seats with a raised leg postion, and later Spitfires copied this feature with two step pedals - the raised position was to be used in combat and enchanced G-resistance. 

It would be nice to hear some clarification if this new and very much welcome feature will take into account the effects of seating position.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VO101Kurfurst said:

later Spitfires copied this feature with two step pedals

If by "later" you mean all marks of Spitfire except the Mark I.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, =BLW=Tales said:

When the update Will take place?

probably the last week of september. From what I understand, they are releasing it all together. I could be wrong

Just a quick question. Seems we have the 'ball' throttle handle and 'motorcycle' throttle handle to differentiate between the standard and gyro gunsights. I have been unable to find a definitive answer on when the lever for the 'motorcycle' grip was changed from the 'L' to the 'Cane' style. Seems the -15NA blocks were never fitted with the gyro gunsight from the factory, nor were they equipped to carry ordinance.

I have been working on a throttle for a few months, so I'm just curious if anyone knows about the difference in handle style. It may have depended on the parts each plant had available?

curved51.jpg

Edited by -332FG-Strat
  • Upvote 1

I'm honestly amazed at the implementation of this pilot physiology model. I played it for some time before reading this bit on their update and wow, it's exactly what it feels like!

It's all about the rate of G incurred, and the whole "hermodynamics" effect. Bump the stick harsh and pull those G in that little time, and you pass out in that little time. Lose consciousness once, lose it again right after and you pass out for longer, it's all really happening it's no illusion!!!!! 

Very awesome work guys. 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, Strat said:

Just a quick question. Seems we have the 'ball' throttle handle and 'motorcycle' throttle handle to differentiate between the standard and gyro gunsights. I have been unable to find a definitive answer on when the lever for the 'motorcycle' grip was changed from the 'L' to the 'Cane' style. Seems the -15NA blocks were never fitted with the gyro gunsight from the factory, nor were they equipped to carry ordinance.

I have been working on a throttle for a few months, so I'm just curious if anyone knows about the difference in handle style. It may have depended on the parts each plant had available?

curved51.jpg

Sorry for seeing this late

The gyro gun sight was a field modification in most cases, so there's no definitive statement as to what grips left what factory and when.  The same thing hold true for the underwing stores hardpoints. 

On 8/18/2019 at 6:37 AM, ZachariasX said:

Probably you are right; this most likely due to déformation professionelle. I can tell you it is very, very hard to assess, quantify and categorize such physiological properties in a (pilot) cohort. But you will surely be able to prove your expectation bias for fact. At least to the layperson or anyone not able to read statistics (read: most people).

Just know that people can adjust pretty well to (new physical) requirements, usually to a higher degree than whatever might be their „basal“ (whatever that might be in random people) differences. It would simply be scietifically wrong to assume different tolerances in pilots flying different aircraft types.

What pilots could do however is cut smoking (no, they didn‘t), eat their veggies (try that if you live out of cans of corned beef) and exercise. Marseille actually did do the latter, while the rest mostly preferred having some drinks on what might well be the last couple of days of their lives before Flak kills them regardless of their fitness.

On the surface his frame doesn't exactly inspire G-tolerance but I'm pretty sure he had enough muscle to squeeze the blood up there, no way around it. He had to go through basic like everyone else...and the whole vibes of the time period kinda stressed physical fitness. As far as his exercise routine, I always got the picture he tried to give off this "I don't care" vibe by smoking drinking partying showing up late not respecting his superiors pranking people etc ...while actually being pretty obsessive with his score and being part of the boys; I also suspect he was the type to burn through relationship after relationship and have a general problem with commitment ... his father looked like the military career oriented type of guy who was largely absent. His mom ...well she seems like she was probably helicopter mom, probably suffocated him a little, totally guessing here but his behavior was a little troubled at times so something must have been up. He had a bit of a need for admiration ...and a bit of a death wish...I'm pretty sure there was a conversation where he was like "I'm touched by God" and his buddy was like no Marseille, you're just touched in the head, jokingly of course. 

My two cents on Marseille, an interesting character for sure. History and psychology should marry into one subject, that'd be pretty cool.