LLv34_Temuri

Tanks at Finnish VirtualPilots!

We've added player tanks to our server Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War. Check it out and send bug reports and comments. "Free" tanks not available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

No free tanks?! 😮 I will be there in a second, finally free from the broken T-34 42 model 😄

Some questions for us tankers in mapdesign:
Do the tank spawns get AAA guns to protect them from being spawnbombed? And also restrictions against kamikaze attacks?
Also have you designed the maps to be equal to both sides? On Eserver I´ve noticed that russian side have more advantages like: One map the germans cant use Panzer IV and is limited to Panzer IIIs while russians have free access to all tanks, on another map the russian bases have far more anti tank guns and tanks defending and better strategic placed than the german bases that barely have any guns or weak panzer IIIs defending?

There is AAA cover, as the spawn place is close to the frontline troops, and the spawn place itself had some AAA guns.

If we start getting kamikaze attacks, we can adjust the rules, and the background campaign app to compensate.

The campaign system is dynamic. The frontline troops are taken randomly from available groups. We’ve made German and Russian versions of each available group, so that there would be balance. However, it may be that one side gets frontline tank group (AI) consisting of light tanks, e.g. Pz38t, while the other has better, e.g. T-34.

Placing ground troops isn’t really done by hand on this server. I’ve mapped free areas where the ground unit groups can be placed. These areas should have no trees etc. IIRC, on the Stalingrad map, there are over 60000 possible places.

We have a Rolling Tank Set, in which we define which tanks are taken in the mission, first set has the PzIII vs. M4A2, and second set adds PzIV and T-34, and so on.

Check the first post and my latest post in this thread for more details: 

Stats and info are available at http://stats.virtualpilots.fi/

• Upvote 5

Checked out the server today and it seemed like a good place for tankers! Very happy that you took away the old tanks too. Going to be trying this server whenever there is players on!

I tried it yesterday and found it to have more potential and promise than Efront server and made some suggestions for how to improve it from a tankers perspective and historically.
Seeing the free tanks gone was heaven, fighting a T-34 and sherman is now more like how it should be, I got taken out once and in the next attempt I landed a lucky hit on a sherman which probably hit the ammo and set it off, the sherman going up in a huge explosion and turret flying up in the air :P Thats something one dont ever see on E-server.

Now the russian players also will need to do precise aiming with the gun sight if they dont learn to use periscope. I prefer the gunner sight like on my german tanks.
Just some minor tweaks and enable the tanks to see what ammo and how many we have loaded and it will be the nr 1 tank server for me.
I recommend all historically accurate seeking tankers to play on it.

• Upvote 1

@judgedeath3 I adjusted the distance between the tank spawns, so that it should now be longer than the distance of the frontline groups. This so that you wouldn’t have enemy tanks spawn behind your back when you attack the frontline. I couldn’t make it to the server tonight, so I couldn’t check if the adjustment had the desired effect. How was it?

I was also thinking about what we discussed about disabling tank spawns. Here’s an idea: when the distance between the tank spawns is such that the spawns are within or behind the frontline groups, we can have the spawn disabled after the frontline has sustained enough damage. This has the benefit that we don’t need to add checkzones or other trigger logic (i.e. less load for the server), instead we’ll just add a server input that the background campaign app can call when it sees enough targets have been destroyed. What do you think?

The distance seems alright when I played now.

So how to capture a enemy tank spawn is to make enough damage to the front line and the base itself that it gets disabled? Tricky part here is to know how close/far away one is to get to a such situation and the defending ones to know, and then how to recapture it, could work but would then need to make it easy for us tankers to know what we are supposed to attack and such.

Also noticed this which is very similair to the ammo hud: When a tank is damaged we usually can by bringing up the chat see what parts of the tank is damaged and how the repairing is going, now I couldnt tell how much damage I got or how my repairs was going or if I was beyond repairs.

7 hours ago, judgedeath3 said:

Tricky part here is to know how close/far away one is to get to a such situation and the defending ones to know, and then how to recapture it

There’s the <s chat command. Read the briefing ;)

The mission should rotate when enough frontline objects are destroyed, so I’m not sure if we’d want to have the spawn recaptured. Recapture could be done by dropping enough supplies with the Ju-52.

what we are supposed to attack and such.

Everything in the frontline groups except the gun/tank covers and ambient boxes.

noticed this which is very similair to the ammo hud: When a tank is damaged we usually can by bringing up the chat see what parts of the tank is damaged and how the repairing is going, now I couldnt tell how much damage I got or how my repairs was going or if I was beyond repairs.

So it would seem this is connected to having the ”simple gauges” setting on the server too. We can have it enabled and see how the flyboys like it. For me it’s ok, as it only shows your airspeed and ammo count, and airspeed is something I was used to having there in old Il-2.

Fixed a bug which caused frontline group AI objects not being spawned in when only a tank was near them.

There was a bug that caused destroyed objects not being registered as destroyed by the campaign app. It's now fixed.

Since we don't have the supply mechanic connected to the tank spawns, I was thinking about using the game's builtin mechanic to limit tank availability.

Let's say a tank spawn tank inventory is refreshed once in an hour, I was thinking about these kind of numbers:

PzIII: 20

PzIV: 10

Tiger: 5

Sherman: 15

T34: 15

KV-1: 5

Comments?

I would suggest rather this to make it more even:

PzIII: 10

PzIV: 20

Tiger: 5

Sherman: 15

T34: 15

KV-1: 5

Mostly due to Panzer III dont stand much of a chance against those tanks and Panzer IV is pretty much even with the enemy tanks and is a fair fight.

An idea if its possible: To add in the server name: Finnish virtual pilots-airplanes and tanks.
So its easier for people to see this server also has tanks and not onyl aircraft as not all people hangs on this forum.

• Like 1

PzIII: 10

PzIV: 20

Tiger: 50

Sherman: 5

T34:5

KV-1:2

😀

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Had some fun matches against other tankers on the server today, much fun. 😄
First time I got to use Panzer III against Shermans, fun challenge and took out a few of them :)

But we noticed that it seems the HE ammo is locked for the sherman, maybe for all red/russian tanks, is it possible to make that ammo type removable/chooseable? At the moment the HE ammo box is locked.

8 hours ago, judgedeath3 said:

But we noticed that it seems the HE ammo is locked for the sherman, maybe for all red/russian tanks, is it possible to make that ammo type removable/chooseable? At the moment the HE ammo box is locked.

This shouldn't be the case. Need to fix it.

Tankset without free tanks is very good idea 👍 .THX for add tanks at your server

I suggest you bring the old tanks to this server as an experiment. Maybe limit the quantities. So only the people,that don't own the TC use them.It will be a lot more interesting for the blue pilots to hunt down the player controlled tanks and not the static sitting ducks.Like i sad earlier two stukas crashed into me trying to attack my tank!:yahoo:Not as easy as your AI tanks waiting for your bombs.

Itll be more fun both for the tankers,trying to outsmart the planes and the pilots, trying to bust the tanks.The server will only win from this! Consider trying it for a week or two.Maybe?

I vote for no for the old tanks due to we will have way too many players using the T-34 which can be turned unkillable with the: use the engine as unbreakable armour trick, plus an armada of russian players in the air, would end up with same problems as on Efront server which I and us who seek realism avoids due to we want historical accuracy and simulator.

Pretty sure I and most of my friends in this game and others who want to play true tank simulator will then stay far away from the server.

The balance would go out the window as the russians both outnumber the german side heavily in the air and on the ground plus using T-34 with broken damage model to win the matches rather than seeking challenging and hard tank vs tank combat with realistic damage.

Love what we have now: some missions where we have only panzer III´s vs Shermans, and the next Panzer IV and tiger vs KV-1 and T-34s and shermans. Just add a limit to the tiger numbers and its perfect 😄

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, judgedeath3 said:

an armada of russian players in the air

Now,how is that a bad thing???!!!

That's what I'm trying to say! The more ppl playing -the better! Right now you have one on one sniping tank matches. What kinda historical realism is that?:biggrin:

Let's try the old tanks once and see what happens. I know there are really good blue tankers, who never whine and cry about DMs,historical accuracy, proximity of the bases or other nonsense...and still kick ass!!! But there's always those,who leave the server once they start losing. And then complain, complain, complain. 

15 hours ago, RIVALDO said:

I know there are really good blue tankers, who never whine and cry about DMs,historical accuracy, proximity of the bases or other nonsense..

Of course there are and I have never mind losing when its a fair fight, but all those things are going against what this game is: WW2 tank simulator and then it matters a lot with historical accuracy, not so much for those who seek a new tank game like warthunder where historical accuracy is thrown out of the window.

Thats the whole point.

Edited by judgedeath3
  • Upvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 11:42 AM, judgedeath3 said:

The balance would go out the window as the russians both outnumber the german side heavily in the air and on the ground plus using T-34 with broken damage model  😄

Spoiler

Ground was just a bit too close!  😄

But, hey! I didn't ram you! ;)

On 8/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, judgedeath3 said:

The balance would go out the window as the russians both outnumber the german side heavily in the air and on the ground

This hasn't been the issue on our server previously.

No,you didn't ram me.Just plowed a few meters of the nice soft sandy soil :)

S!

Tank balance will find a sweet spot over time. While they are fun vehicles, the extremely clunky controls and bugged features do affect them. Still a very alpha feature IMO. And regarding free tanks: NO. People will abuse every imaginable game mechanic if they are given the possibility to do so. Want to play the indestructible T-34? Go to a server that has it and enjoy. And if someone rams your tank, who cares? Both lose their points and stats, if those are sooo important to you. Respawn and play. But asking for issuing players bans because someone rams your precious tank is like asking do not shoot me so I can do whatever I want. Hypocritical BS. Server rules state that do everything to defeat the opponent, except cheat. Ramming is not cheating. Annoying to some maybe, but not a cheat. I have rammed, but not intentionally. Bad flying from my part.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Copy that! Ramming is allowed on this server.Just wanted to make sure next time the blue player starts crying about it. Thanks.

P.S. it's not allowed on EFront.

I  don't like getting  rammed by AC, no1 does.  However, I don't believe that all of the tanks that get rammed by AC is intentional.  I know when I grab an AC and try my hand at ground attack, usually a BF110,  I have inadvertently rammed Russian tanks because I could not pull out of too fast of a dive, and am by no means a ground ATK AC  person. 

For the ones that do it intentionally,  those pilots are not here for historical accuracy because it was not done. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WaNTRD said:

For the ones that do it intentionally,  those pilots are not here for historical accuracy because it was not done. 

Exactly. A pilot will do everything he can to get back to base and not die or get captured, especielly on the eastern front. KAmikaze attack should be a permament thing: once you do it you are out for 24 hours or so, that would make pilots think twice.

Also LLv34_Temuri said kamikaze attacks are not allowed, so contact him if it happens, I can see some pilots do it by mistake like WaNTRD said, I have done it too but its never on purpose and I dont do it again after first time.

Guys,I'm not talking about the accidental ramming.But at the same time how can you tell if it was done on purpose or not?Besides, LLv34_Flanker said: "And if someone rams your tank, who cares? Both lose their points and stats, if those are sooo important to you. Respawn and play."
So,him saying that makes me thing that whether its intentional or not,it's no big deal?Shut up and get a new tank?Or is it only when the RED gets rammed than it's alright?And for ramming the BLUE you'll get a ban?I will just follow the rules in the description of the mission...

Sorry for my question (may be already cleared by someone):

Some days ago (2 or 3 days, I do not remember exactely), I started a mission during afternoon with a T-34.

I made a long run into German lines and found an artillery point that I destroyed completely.

Then, I returned to my spawn point.

Total time of my mission was at last  1 hour.

When mission ended,  my name was not shown on list of players and, of course, no points or object destructed in stats.

So just want to know if I missed something.

Many thanks by advance.😉

2 hours ago, CCG_Pips said:

When mission ended,  my name was not shown on list of players and, of course, no points or object destructed in stats.

As for showing your name in the in-game stats, I have no idea why.

As for not showing your name on the stats site, we are using Vaal's stats system:

We'd need to do some coding ourselves to get player tank stats visible on the stats site.

Thanks for your reply.

As you can check, my palyer name is shown on stats and when using a plane, I have no troubles...I think, problem comes with tanks. 😉

28 minutes ago, CCG_Pips said:

problem comes with tanks

Yes. Web stats system doesn't support player tanks by default.

14 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Yes. Web stats system doesn't support player tanks by default.

Ok, thanks ...so it is clear now.

If I just want to play, I can use tanks, if I want to improve my stats, it is better to take planes !!!😉😎

S!

Exactly Rivaldo. You get rammed, intentionally or by accident, and die. So what? So attached to the virtual statistics that keyboard will feel your wrath if killed? Go play WT for a bit and I guarantee that your skin grows thicker against anything. What you see in IL-2 is child´s play compared to what goes on in WT. There suicide ramming and bombing is more a normal thing than not. Servers issuing bans because someone rams your tank is laughable. Just because someone due piloting error crashes into your tank ending your career? Well, just press Finish Mission and spawn again. Of course if someone really hunts you and ALWAYS tries to ram you with the plane, then something should be done to it. But as of now ramming is more a random issue than a real problem. And goes both ways, not only one side.

• Haha 2

Came back from hoidays and read about tanks at finnish server. Thanks guys. One more server for tankers.

Using only TC-Tanks is a good idea, due to the invulnerabity of the old T34. But nevertheless I was ably to kill one old T34 (was BOPHOS) recently at EFront after 5 shots in the back with Panzer IV . He killed me just before in my tiger with 2 shots and I shot him 3 times before with my 8.8 . All at close range.

So only playing with tankls that have newer dm is better, if this is a simulation. Otherwise its arcade...

Best thing to do when attacked by an AC, is to turn towards the attack, unless you are facing armor, make them him the front armor,  maybe not die, lose tracks, etc.  It is also possible to take out an attack AC with main gun,  I did that a month or 2 ago on a server  to a known player,   prob 100m or less from my tank.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:23 PM, RIVALDO said:

Oh yeah...

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I believe this one belongs here (from old Coconut server):

Spoiler

• Haha 4