Jump to content
Gungriffen

Why do all flight sims refuse to adopt voice chat?!

Recommended Posts

I have mixed feelings . . . one thing which I think could potentially be useful would be to have a "local" channel that only broadcasts to other Friendlies in your vicinity. The trouble is that such a system would have to tie in with the Dserver and have a little overhead on its performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ACG_Herne said:

I have mixed feelings . . . one thing which I think could potentially be useful would be to have a "local" channel that only broadcasts to other Friendlies in your vicinity. The trouble is that such a system would have to tie in with the Dserver and have a little overhead on its performance.

 

It can’t hurt to toss ideas out there.  Only the devs would know what is actually plausible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The first person to Dev a good reliable AI Translation Program that can...

- Translate all known 115 languages (if need be) without Grammatical or Spelling Errors & including abbreviations and terminology
 into the persons native language based on Game client or PC Language setup. 

- Translate all of the above on the fly without significant lag or system overhead. 

- Playback in a believable audio voice and understand verbal commands to be translated also. (say for VR flyers)  

They Will be one very rich person indeed and will revolutionize the MP gaming industry .

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it amazing that anyone uses the text chat. Typing while flying?

Super awkward. 

So the assumption is that nobody would use an in-game voice chat but they’ll use the clumsy text chat? Who wouldn’t prefer voice?

Maybe people have speech to text apps hooked up to the chat. I can’t imagine typing chat in any game. People do this in fast action FPS which I find amazing as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I find it amazing that anyone uses the text chat. Typing while flying?

Super awkward. 

So the assumption is that nobody would use an in-game voice chat but they’ll use the clumsy text chat? Who wouldn’t prefer voice?

Maybe people have speech to text apps hooked up to the chat. I can’t imagine typing chat in any game. People do this in fast action FPS which I find amazing as well. 

 

I think most new features would be used while you’re not flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I find it amazing that anyone uses the text chat. Typing while flying?

Super awkward. 

So the assumption is that nobody would use an in-game voice chat but they’ll use the clumsy text chat? Who wouldn’t prefer voice?

Maybe people have speech to text apps hooked up to the chat. I can’t imagine typing chat in any game. People do this in fast action FPS which I find amazing as well. 

 

Macros and hot keys. Type 1 for "LOL u suk loser", 2 for "Yr mama fight harder" etc... you get the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Luriael said:

This is the crux of the problem I believe. I'm sure the devs would want all the commodities in the world for us but they lack the budget and man power to do so. 

 

You bring a very good point, problem is; no one is on those servers. I tried both Discord and TS services and they are empty. I believe an integrated comm service in the game would fix that where you are not obligated to log in anywhere and can just listen or even close the comm like many games already provide.

 

Game wise, there really is no reason not to have one. Resources and money may be lacking and it is understandable, but it isn't like if you add this to the game it'll break the server bandwidth or make the game unstable or anything.  

 

Heck, for those who make Youtube vids it could even be funny to be able to record general comms and post vids on the Tube. I've seen that done with FSX and MP ATC... quiet a laugh sometimes. One more plus!


My experience using the Discord and Teamspeak chats set up for servers like Combat Box and Tactical Air War has been middling to pretty good. There is not always people on comms but often if the server is decently populated the discord has at least a few people. 

The comms suffer from the same issue as the servers in general - if no one is on it, no one joins, so no one is on it, and then the vicious cycle starts. So I just join when its empty and see what happens.

@BraveSirRobin is correct with possible issues. Any voice comms integrated into the game would have to enable sub-channels, private channels, etc. to be effective. If you have a full server and 42 people on one side on voice comms it would just be constant chatter. Of course, once you enable private channels, sub channels, etc. you arrive at the same issue of fragmented voice comms and lack of coordination. 

This was also a real-life problem, it was not possible for pilots to communicate effectively across squadrons for much of the war, and descriptions of dogfights are rife with pilots saying with all the chatter no one knew what was going on or where anybody was. 

I'm not opposed to a integrated voice comms feature, but the people who want it have, I think, inflated expectations of what it will accomplish and optimistic ideas about how easy implementation would be. It has to be as good or better than Discord or Teamspeak to get people to abandon their preferred software, and then not cause issues with other aspects of MP. That's a tall order.

 

And this is perhaps slightly off topic, the overall voice chat situation would improve massively for a lot of people if they set up push-to-talk on their comms. It would filter out a lot of the background noise, heavy breathing, chewing, conversations with spouses/kids/parents/cats. It also eliminates some of the frivolous conversation because it just makes it take that much more effort to do.

Just now, SharpeXB said:

I find it amazing that anyone uses the text chat. Typing while flying?

Super awkward. 

So the assumption is that nobody would use an in-game voice chat but they’ll use the clumsy text chat? Who wouldn’t prefer voice?

Maybe people have speech to text apps hooked up to the chat. I can’t imagine typing chat in any game. People do this in fast action FPS which I find amazing as well. 

I use the text chat pretty frequently. Not great for a lot of things but for stating general intentions, warning of enemy activity, etc. it works OK. You can get some bare-bones coordination using the text chat with the bonus of reaching everyone on your side...and the downside that people often forget to hit ctrl-enter and broadcast their intentions to the enemy. Its awkward but doable.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Macros and hot keys. Type 1 for "LOL u suk loser", 2 for "Yr mama fight harder" etc... you get the idea.

No, 1 had to be reserved for „How do I start my engine?“

 

8 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

BraveSirRobin is correct with possible issues. Any voice comms integrated into the game would have to enable sub-channels, private channels, etc. to be effective.

 

It is worse than that. If it was implemented, it had to at least match the capabilities of TS etc. The devs had to come up with what took years to implement in other software. If you had less capability, then the pros would be still sticking to the software that works while in-game comms would be infested with clueless players, making it even less attractive.

Edited by ZachariasX
bloody merge
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How is typing while flying hard.. 

"Your plane should be trimmed in most cases.. so you are nearly hands free unless you like to fly inefficiently. 
in most single engines planes all it takes is a little bit of rudder pressure to fly straight and level at correct power setting. 
with most twins (tho they have trim) without using it again the same but without rudder input and just correct power setting". 
(Even i16 without an trims will still fly Straight and Level without holding stick at CORRECT POWER LEVEL) 

If you flying along and cant let go of stick without plane diving for earth or rolling out of control something wrong :D 


Also if you have a home cockpit with stick mounted low you can fly with knees like real pilots if need be :D 
also there is Auto level 


Also if you a gamer i hope you can type a message the length of everything in talking marks above in less than like 30 seconds. 

 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

How is typing while flying hard.

Do you have a VR headset? Under normal circumstances I'm an average typist at best, there is no way I can type with my headset on... plus my stick is on my right side and not between my legs :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

How is typing while flying hard.. 

"Your plane should be trimmed in most cases.. so you are nearly hands free unless you like to fly inefficiently. 
in most single engines planes all it takes is a little bit of rudder pressure to fly straight and level at correct power setting. 
with most twins (tho they have trim) without using it again the same but without rudder input and just correct power setting". 
(Even i16 without an trims will still fly Straight and Level without holding stick at CORRECT POWER LEVEL) 

If you flying along and cant let go of stick without plane diving for earth or rolling out of control something wrong 😄


Also if you have a home cockpit with stick mounted low you can fly with knees like real pilots if need be 😄
also there is Auto level 


Also if you a gamer i hope you can type a message the length of everything in talking marks above in less than like 30 seconds. 

 

A little harder when flying a plane with no trim (i-16) but I am usually able to pull it off. As a bonus, while my hands are off the stick my plane changes direction which on at least one occasion actually spoiled a bounce while I was typing!
I mean, he killed me on the next pass, but that extra 15 seconds of life was pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such features cost money and take time which costs more money. With the free third party apps out there, we can at least have comms without costing us time and money spent on other more important features.

 

Jason

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

How is typing while flying hard.. 

Because my HOTAS is where my keyboard was. And I never learned to type well to begin with... a great error on my part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, =SFF=_cercataa said:

DCS's SRS looks cool, but it's quite complicated, it's too real ;)

 

SRS fit well for modern radios with multiply channels and frequency.

 

Some WWII era radios are pre-tuned just for one frequency, pilot control only volume and PTT switch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

How is typing while flying hard.. 

As soon as I open the chat, my plane either does a nosedive or flips 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Some WWII era radios are pre-tuned just for one frequency, pilot control only volume and PTT switch.

heck if I'm not mistaking, VVS planes didn't even have radios for the most part. Only flight leaders had them, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

but the integration with the radios in the plane is awesome, especially the F/A-18. You don't need any overlays, just tune the radios in the plane in-game to the required frequency depending on the mission at hand and what you are currently doing and your good to go.

 

Yes, that's what I meant by complicated, you have to use the real radios of the planes ... configure frequencies, change channels.

It's awesome, but you need a clickable cockpit, knowing how does the radio works on each plane, etc.

 

I don't see that for IL-2 ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

As soon as I open the chat, my plane either does a nosedive or flips 🙃

thats because you are incorrectly flying your planes and Not trimming them..

for the most part at any given time you should be able to fly hands free in level flight is properly Trimmed. 
as i said the i16 without trim will fly level just pull power.. 
109 will fly level just pull power. (foot pressure) 
190 will fly level just pull power.  (foot pressure) 

All planes i have flown so far can fly a traffic pattern with using only rudder(flying hands free) and correctly Trimmed elevator or properly set power. 
Incorrectly trimmed planes are slow and fly like trash. 
 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

As soon as I open the chat, my plane either does a nosedive or flips 🙃

And if you want to “cheat” there’s always Shift+A for the level autopilot. Not cheating really since WWII pilots didn’t text and fly 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, SharpeXB said:

And if you want to “cheat” there’s always Shift+A for the level autopilot. Not cheating really since WWII pilots didn’t text and fly 😉

 Hardly cheating unless you are talking about the fighter planes that did not have them.
(but as every plane in the game gets them everyone is on the same equal footing so the "cheat" is 100% Negated )

But pretty much any bomber with a bombsight it required some for of auto pilot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn´t bother to read all of that back and forth repeating muck, just want to give my two cents on why I think ingame VoIP would be an advantage over Discord.

 

In game VoIP would provide us with the temporal flexibility Discord and other 3rd party apps lack.

It´s easier to organise with people who are currently in game, on the specific server, on the right team.

 

Whilst I agree that it is possible to coordinate with people on discord, it´s way more difficult to find people who currently have the time to even bother responding to requests.

Communicating through third party apps takes a schedule, reliable friends or luck, whereas ingame VoIP would enable us to just hop in and ask people, and I can´t stress this enough, who are already in game!

 

 

IMO the best way to implement this would be to implement a radio with adjustable frequencies.

This enables teams to have a "master frequency" whilst enabling people to form up and or coordinate flexibly by switching to a specific frequency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

IMO the best way to implement this would be to implement a radio with adjustable frequencies.

This enables teams to have a "master frequency" whilst enabling people to form up and or coordinate flexibly by switching to a specific frequency.

 

If they integrate VoIP, then your proposition quoted here would be a MUST! Otherwise, you would have to hear and endure all those comments and

stupid verbal derailments, what you can very often witness on games like RO2, SQUAD, PS and HellLetLoose.

 

I know, these verbal derailments may also happen on TS or Discord, but honestly it is far less frequent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

 

If they integrate VoIP, then your proposition quoted here would be a MUST! Otherwise, you would have to hear and endure all those comments and

 stupid verbal derailments, what you can very often witness on games like RO2, SQUAD, PS and HellLetLoose.

  

I know, these verbal derailments may also happen on TS or Discord, but honestly it is far less frequent.

I´m not sure about any verbal derailments, I quite enjoy the friendly banter going on amongst squads in Squad.

But I agree that it would be unbecoming in the "master frequency"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...