Han

Developer Diary 227 - Discussion

1 minute ago, Han said:
Dear Friends,

After the recent release of the update 3.102 many of you wondered "why there are no new Bodenplatte planes"? There is nothing strange about it: the remaining three player-controllable fighters and AI-controlled bomber are the most complex and difficult to produce objects in the entire history of our team. But the more difficult is the task the more interesting is the result. At the moment we plan to make all these four planes available to you in the next huge update at the end of September that will also bring the important new features we're working on at the moment. Here's the rundown on their current statuses:

The work on the Rhineland map for Bodenplatte is also progressing well and we'll show you some of it in one of the coming DDs. We're working on the new Career timeframe 'Battle of Rhineland' in parallel. Now let's list the features that are at the final stage of development at the moment:

We don't want our words to sound empty or unfounded, so today we can show you the in-game exterior shots of the P-38J-25 Collector Plane (that is included in Bodenplatte Premium, only version you can get at the moment), the cockpit of the British Tempest Mk.V ser.2 and the new German pilot in Summer 1944 uniform:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Yayyyy! From 10 to a 100 ... Now that is impressive!

Edited by SCG_Riksen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

reads great - P38 and Tempest coming together with the Mustang is a surprise though...

Pilot physiology sounds very interesting - but AI improvements are what I'm most thrilled about :)

Edited by Eisenfaustus
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Never doubted!

4 Allied birds waiting in the wings, visibility raised by 1000% and realistic physiology modelled...

Content update and additional DD in a week. Legends :salute:

Keep calm and carry on.

Edited by Johnny-Red
  • Upvote 2

The upcoming improvements (physiology, Improved AI maneuvering, visibility distance to mention but three) sound really great.

Thanks a lot for the diary update and all the best on getting these things done.

If all of this works out as planned, it'll be a totally new (and much improved) game.

:drinks:

Mike

• Upvote 4

Some big news here is that there is a new programmer working specifically on the AI. Good luck, new programmer! I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

The visibility distance improvement is significantly more than I expected. Visibility of long-distance contrails will be much more immersive and make it a lot harder for people at high alt to go unnoticed. 

And the physiology model should put a damper on some of the flip-flopping people do online in combat sometimes. Glad to hear it is being based on actual medical research as well.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Amazing. The bare metal effect in BoX has went from non existent to the best I've ever seen almost overnight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

>Having completed all these tasks, we'll increase the maximum visibility distance for planes and ships from 10 to 100 km and the resulting visibility distance will realistically correspond to the lighting and weather conditions.

TAKE MY MONEY

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

• P-38J-25: cockpit texturing is nearly finished, the flight model is finished, it will go to beta testing soon.
  • Tempest Mk.V ser.2: 3D model is finished, the flight model is nearly finished, it will go to beta testing soon as well.

I like the sound of that

• Upvote 4

You NEVER fail to amaze!

• Upvote 3

New set of underpants required... :lol:

Thank You Dev-team! :thank_you:

• Haha 1

Great updates in there, can't wait for the new planes but most of all, to Air Marshall, fatigue, IA and expanded view distance. I think that these updates will change the simulator in a very good way.

• Upvote 1

10 to 100 km, wow that was unexpected! :))

Will there also be an increase of building rendering distance at some point (for the level-bomber guys)?

• Upvote 3

Amazing news, really excited. BOBP is shaping up to be a technical marvel!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely jaw dropping DD!!!

BIG THX devs for so many good news!

10 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

10 to 100 km, wow that was unexpected! :))

Will there also be an increase of building rendering distance at some point (for the level-bomber guys)?

I hope so, though I can see that rendering hundreds of buildings in such a wide area could be more difficult than a relative few planes and ships. If they could even increase ground object draw to 15 or 20 km high alt bombing would be much more feasible.

Posted (edited)

For the fatigue effect, are there any plans for making the breath sound effect of the pilot, to have an approximate guess of G forces?
Can we have a tester or a dev answer, a little information about this?
Would be much appreciated!

Edited by -[HRAF]BubiHUN
  • Upvote 1

Wow!

First of all many thanks for this extensive news! Now we know where we are :) The P-38 and Tempest pictures are looking fantastic! Although it's a bit oppressive that it will take until the end of September, on the other hand we'll probably get all 4 remaining planes for it. And if that's the price, I'm willing to pay for it!

Also the other improvements sound very promising :) and if I remember correctly the two TC campaigns should come in September. I hope you make good progress 😄 Now I have something to look for.

• Upvote 1

Dev's a while ago there was a post or DD reference engine detonation code being in the engine since Rise Of Flight, but for some reason that code was disabled. May I ask if the plan is to enable that code at some point ?

• Upvote 3

This is one helluva an update. A lot of everyone's wishlist items were mentioned. You guys truly do an incredible amount of work. Your customer service is second to none. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pffff  impressive! Good work! 👍

but waiting for the September to fix the recent missing sounds in singleplayer will be hard.

The map will be also released in the next update?

Edited by Voidhunger

A game update and a DD in the same week!? Pinch me!

This update and the forthcoming new additions are what makes BoS vastly superior to Clod.

Thank you Devs for outstanding acheivements. :dance:

Impressive list of new features, even some of the moaners should be happy

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Holy crap what a DD it is too. 100km view distance is great! P38 the only reason I bought BoBP, looks great, everything is great. 

Will buildings be included in the 100km draw distance?

P38 is a beauty...:o: !

What an update!!

You guys rock.

Can't wait for the end of September.

Thank you team.

Posted (edited)

Really nice DD. Some great information and some awesome new features.

However,... let me get this straight.
At the moment we plan to make all these four planes available to you in the next huge update at the end of September
It sound like some of the new content (planes) will be tested and ready very soon (2-4 weeks is my guess?). But you plan to hold these back untill the end of september for a single large update? Why not release them earlier when they are tested and ready? 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

@HanDoes the advanced model of pilot physiology as the name only will be applied to the human pilot or also to the AI pilots and especially to the gunners ( for example the Gs) as well? Similar to the FM wich we share with AI?

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Upvote 3

Great news!

Increased visibility distance from 10 to 100km for both aircraft and ships, it's almost like it's preparation work for something in the future, something far east 😉.

• Upvote 1

Their priorities are mostly wrong, who in the community asked for "advanced pilot physiology" ? It is a waste of time and resources on secondary issues.

Also, why do I need to see ships and planes 100km in the distance ? It is irrelevant because by the time those ships and planes become dangerous, the situation may diametrically change anyway.

Instead the team should concentrate on environmental physics/destruction and increasing graphics fidelity. It would be awesome to see building crumble realistically as they are leveled by bombs, Battlefield 5 style. Or adding individual physics to barrels of aviation fuel as they roll in different directions and explode, Just Cause 4 style. And the interaction between various physics objects which creates moments of unpredictable destructive beauty in motion. Alas: we will probably never see those things or maybe in 10 years with their current misguided priorities.

• Haha 14
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 7

6 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

Really nice DD. Some great information and some awesome new features.

However,... let me get this straight.
At the moment we plan to make all these four planes available to you in the next huge update at the end of September
It sound like some of the new content (content) will be tested and ready very soon (2-4 weeks is my guess?). But you plan to hold these back untill the end of september for a single large update? Why not release them earlier when they are tested and ready? 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Basically it's like this; does this include the map, or not?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Their priorities are mostly wrong, who in the community asked for "advanced pilot physiology" ? It is a waste of time and resources on secondary issues.

Also, why do I need to see ships and planes 100km in the distance ? It is irrelevant because by the time those ships and planes become dangerous, the situation may diametrically change anyway.

Instead the team should concentrate on environmental physics/destruction and increasing graphics fidelity. It would be awesome to see building crumble realistically as they are leveled by bombs, Battlefield 5 style. Or adding individual physics to barrels of aviation fuel as they roll in different directions and explode, Just Cause 4 style. And the interaction between various physics objects which creates moments of unpredictable destructive beauty in motion. Alas: we will probably never see those things or maybe in 10 years with their current misguided priorities.

Completely disagreed, assuming you're not being facecious. Better G-tolerance modeling improves the accuracy of the simulation, which is never a wasted effort. 

As for visibility distance, that's easily the single most important limitation of the current engine. Alleviating this (without significantly impacting performance, at least) would be a massive improvement.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

Air Marshall mode is something I'd like to try.

I was an Air Traffic Controller for 9 years :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2