Sign in to follow this  
jollyjack

Battle of Stalingrad too difficult?

After buying Cliffs of Dover i bought BoS from Steam. Latter seems a drag to startup, takes a long time, and besides almost impossible to play (TM 16000) even in the most "easy" modes. Also i very much dislike to be online for playing a game. Just asked for a refund BTW. Curious: are there any offline packages for these newer IL-2 games? -J

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, jackd said:

After buying Cliffs of Dover i bought BoS from Steam. Latter seems a drag to startup, takes a long time, and besides almost impossible to play (TM 16000) even in the moyst "easy" modes. Also i very much dislike to be online for playing a game. Just asked for a refund BTW. Curious: are there any offline packages for these newer IL-2 games? -J

First time ever heard that complain... Game has so many realism and cheat  options . It offers single player  campaigns , career and missions. Know your game . Sims are know for steep learning curve but you can use those option for now to stand at beginning.

What is that difficult for you exactly ? 

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Upvote 2

If you are a seasoned player in CloD then BoS should present no problems whatsoever... However, if you want an easier ride, War Thunder?

4 hours ago, jackd said:

Also i very much dislike to be online for playing a game. Just asked for a refund BTW. Curious: are there any offline packages for these newer IL-2 games? -J

The GB series can be played offline, however, only certain parts are accessable.

If you have lost internet connection completely for whatever reason you can launch offline from the game folder, forgot how but it is doable.

The simulator has to go online for updating and if you wish to play multiplayer or career that is only able to be played and to progress if online, however, there are scripted campaigns available from forum members that that work offline.

Hope that helps, regards, Pete.:biggrin:

Posted (edited)

Well, thanks for the answers ... So many happy users for BoS it seems. However I contacted Steam for a refund, and they refused because of me exceeding playing time of 2 hours. I protested since the time being online i only tried to get first my old Logitech Attack 3 to work, and then bought the TM 16000 with throttle unit. Both i couldn't get working usefully with BoS .... running my older IL-2 1946 FB/AER/PAF works fine however.

The IL-2sturmovik.com site and people here seem to be so much better, so i just bought Kuban to give it a try .... I'll post about it later. regs J

Edited by jackd
correction

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Missionbug said:

If you have lost internet connection completely for whatever reason you can launch offline from the game folder, forgot how but it is doable.

[IL2 root folder]\bin\game\Il-2.exe - create a shortcut pointing to this exe for offline play

8 hours ago, jackd said:

only tried to get first my old Logitech Attack 3 to work, and then bought the TM 16000 with throttle unit. Both i couldn't get working usefully with BoS .... running my older IL-2 1946 FB/AER/PAF works fine however. 

I had TM16000 too, it was good and precise stick for the money. Had no trouble with it, but replaced it with Warthog over time... Is it properly recognized by the system? Are the axes correctly mapped in the game settings? Also, device ID may change if you use it in different USB ports - try remapping manually in game settings, if you had it plugged in more than one USB port.

Edited by J2_Jakob

Posted (edited)

With BoS and Kuban i'm still having a fight with the settings, especially the keymapping and mostly the programmed axes seem OK during addressing them but some don't work at all running the game. Just not being recognized.

Also some keyboard functions are set right but don't work in the game. F.i. key A is addressed OK for autopilot, but does not work running the game. BTW i used USBdeview and cleared all non functional USB registered stuff, like my old Logitech Attack 3 drivers still showing up there .... J.

Edited by jackd
correction

Posted (edited)

@jackd, check if the joystick is working correctly through the device properties (windows calibration tool). If it is, there should be no problem for the game to recognize the device. Try remapping axes manually though - the game could remember the device by the old (now invalid) ID and it won't work until remapped manually. Also, when setting up the axes in the game settings, there is a tool that you can use to adjust the input  - deadzones, sensitivity, etc. (Little curve icon to the very right side of the panel.) Check if it is reacting to your joystick movement.

Concerning the A for autopilot - this function can be affected by the difficulty settings. Check if you have the autopilot enabled in the difficulty settings before firing up the mission. Only Shift + A may work as "level autopilot", if stricter difficulty settings are in place.

Edited by J2_Jakob

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, J2_Jakob said:

Also, device ID may change if you use it in different USB ports

This problem has been fixed by now. The game remembers your devices no matter if you replug them or add more. Windows does renumber your joy# if you add or remove devices but as far as I know IL-2 GB doesn’t rely on those anymore.  

Check out this channel for help with the aircraft etc

https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

@SharpeXB weird... I was cleaning my PC a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten to mark the devices before I disconnected them. After cleaning I reconnected them and of course I put them into different ports. Had to remap some of my axes/buttons afterwards, as they were not working anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J2_Jakob said:

Had to remap some of my axes/buttons afterwards,

I have also had to do this recently. Vexing.

1 hour ago, Diggun said:

I have also had to do this recently. Vexing.

More easily done with Find / Replace of ids on cfg file. Once you know the right ids :)

18 hours ago, J2_Jakob said:

Concerning the A for autopilot - this function can be affected by the difficulty settings. Check if you have the autopilot enabled in the difficulty settings before firing up the mission. Only Shift + A may work as "level autopilot", if stricter difficulty settings are in place.

Axis and deadzone settings done OK, USB on different ports but both buses are addressing the same controller chip.Thanks J

If I remember correctly, to correct this USB annoyance, just delete devices.txt from \data\input ***remember to backup the file first***. When you restart the game your controllers will be detected in the correct order.

Best regards.

fubar

47 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

More easily done with Find / Replace of ids on cfg file. Once you know the right ids :)

Now there are a few .cfg files in the data folder and others too ... which one?

3 minutes ago, fubar_2_niner said:

If I remember correctly, to correct this USB annoyance, just delete devices.txt from \data\input ***remember to backup the file first***. When you restart the game your controllers will be detected in the correct order.

Best regards. fubar

only the two used, 16000m and throttle, are there ...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jackd said:

only the two used, 16000m and throttle, are there ...

Yes but not necessarily in the correct order, for instance if you originally has your stick in USB a, and throttle in USB b, the stick will be top of the pile. If you pull  your controllers and reboot, then plug them in the other way round, throttle in a, stick in b, the game will see stick and throttle in the wrong order. This confuses the crap out of the game. 

You can read many similar problems on the F4BMS forums.

Best regards.

fubar

Edited by fubar_2_niner

2 hours ago, jackd said:

I think it's something like current.actions.cfg but I'd have to check. Anyway it becomes pretty obvious when you open the right file. I don't think there are that many.

During the replace, remember that to switch controls a with b and b with a you probably need to create c , replace a with c, b with a and then c with b;)

On 7/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, J2_Bidu said:

I think it's something like current.actions.cfg but I'd have to check.

Checked, its /data/input/current.actions (no .cfg extension).

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:32 PM, J2_Jakob said:

@SharpeXB weird... I was cleaning my PC a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten to mark the devices before I disconnected them. After cleaning I reconnected them and of course I put them into different ports. Had to remap some of my axes/buttons afterwards, as they were not working anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likewise...i had to remap my pitch and roll axis. Yaw was unaffected strangely enough and all throttle axis still worked too.

I thought this had been fixed in IL-2 GB. If you are having trouble with the game losing your controller assignment, let their support know about it. This was specifically addressed in an update quite a while ago. There was a problem with Widows 10 renumbering the joy#s almost every time the PC was restarted and it made this game impossible to use. They fixed is so it doesn’t rely on the joy# anymore even though that’s what you see on the menu. Most games use the actual device ID and not the Windows joy#. That joy# isn’t decided by which port you plug into or the order you connect them. It’s almost at random. Also if you add another controller they’ll all renumber. Obviously having a game use this assignment is a real problem. Again that’s why they fixed it. 

8 hours ago, J2_Jakob said:

Checked, its /data/input/current.actions (no .cfg extension).

Is not .cfg file, is

"Devices.txt" in the folder ...IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\input\

This file register the order of  controllers (joy, throttle, pedal...) plugged:

configId,guid,model|
0,%225286b610-56bc-11e7-0000545345440180%22,VKBsim%20Tiny%20BOX|
1,%22bef47190-4bdc-11e9-0000545345440180%22,VKBsim%20Gladiator|
2,%22d6fa7200-4f31-11e9-0000545345440180%22,VKB-Sim%20Gladiator

Think that the extra Gladiator above happens after joystick firmware update, for whatever reason their name was changed, and game start count joysticks from # 0 (e.g.  joy0_axis_x,)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Is not .cfg file, is

"Devices.txt" in the folder ...IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\input\

This file register the order of  controllers (joy, throttle, pedal...) plugged:

Think that the extra Gladiator above happens after joystick firmware update, for whatever reason their name was changed, and game start count joysticks from # 0 (e.g.  joy0_axis_x,)

Oooh this might prove a better solution! Confirmed it works?

@Sokol1 I was reacting to Bidu regarding the "current.actions" file containing the key mapping. Only corrected that it doesn't have the .cfg extension. Was not talking about "devices.txt" at all. 😉

On 7/7/2019 at 8:16 AM, jackd said:

After buying Cliffs of Dover i bought BoS from Steam. Latter seems a drag to startup, takes a long time, and besides almost impossible to play (TM 16000) even in the most "easy" modes. Also i very much dislike to be online for playing a game. Just asked for a refund BTW. Curious: are there any offline packages for these newer IL-2 games? -J

Go play warthunder boi

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 7:16 AM, jackd said:

Also i very much dislike to be online for playing a game. Just asked for a refund BTW. Curious: are there any offline packages for these newer IL-2 games? -J

Agreed only on this point (I don`t see the game as too hard). I am one of those who will forever not-like the always-online mechanic for flying when in Single Player. It shouldn`t be so.

However,  I`m an old IL2 player from the original (which had both offline and online campaign play) and I love flying good war sims. They charge us more, yet hold a lease on us. Don`t like. Had they allowed an Offline Campaign mode, I would`ve bought ALL the add-ons by now, instead of waiting for the cheapest possible sale.

Now I await the raft of people who think being forced online 24\7 for a single player campaign is wonderful and their attempts to shame those of us who don`t.

Edited by seafireliv
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, seafireliv said:

Now I await the raft of people who think being forced online 24\7 for a single player campaign is wonderful and their attempts to shame those of us who don`t.

Being connected has many advantages in how the Career Mode campaign is generated. 

There are non connected SP modes like the Quick Mission or user made campaigns. I think the official scripted campaigns are possible offline but I haven’t tried doing that. 

It’s hard to imagine situations today where anyone is without access to the internet. So for the vast vast majority of players this isn’t a problem. I’m sure the Antarctica research station has Wi-Fi 

you might as well complain about the game needing electricity. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Being connected has many advantages in how the Career Mode campaign is generated. 

There are non connected SP modes like the Quick Mission or user made campaigns. I think the official scripted campaigns are possible offline but I haven’t tried doing that. 

It’s hard to imagine situations today where anyone is without access to the internet. So for the vast vast majority of players this isn’t a problem. I’m sure the Antarctica research station has Wi-Fi 

you might as well complain about the game needing electricity. 

I appereciate your views but wholly disagree.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

I appereciate your views but wholly disagree.

You’d have to understand how the Career Mode mission generator works. I’m sure it’s explained here somewhere. For example being connected means the ability to put out fixes without whole game update. There is an offline mode for this game though. Just not Career or obviously Multiplayer. 

You realize you're complaining about the need for an internet connection... while writing on a forum connected to the internet... 🙄

Edited by SharpeXB

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You’d have to understand how the Career Mode mission generator works. I’m sure it’s explained here somewhere. For example being connected means the ability to put out fixes without whole game update. There is an offline mode for this game though. Just not Career or obviously Multiplayer. 

Yes, I know. But the Campaign could be made to work offline. I don`t have to be a coder to know this. I have played and flown enough sims in decades.

I could go into far more detail, but it is pointless at this juncture. All I`m doing is showing that not all of us agree with the 24\7 Online mechanic for single player campaigns despite the fact we may partake in it. And some of us, including I, will continue to express our disatisfaction with it so the Devs don`t become too comfortable in thinking everyone must love it. No disrespect to the Devs, but I hope they don`t expect us all to be `Yes, men!` to everything they do.

I love the sim, but I  will not defend things I do not agree with just to keep people happy. I can love something yet still tell it off if it does something wrong in my view.

Edited by seafireliv

4 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

But the Campaign could be made to work offline.

How would you know this? You don’t know anything about how it works. Obviously the advantages of the connection outweighs any disadvantage. In a world that’s perpetually connected online this is really a non issue for the vast majority of players. 

Is there some real reason to have an offline career mode? If you wanted them to consider it you’d have to state a valid reason. 

There’s also Pat Wilson CG which works offline if you want this feature. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

How would you know this? You don’t know anything about how it works. Obviously the advantages of the connection outweighs any disadvantage. In a world that’s perpetually connected online this is really a non issue for the vast majority of players. 

Is there some real reason to have an offline career mode? If you wanted them to consider it you’d have to state a valid reason. 

Because when you`ve driven a car for many years, you develop some understanding of how they work. You don`t need to be a registered car mechanic to have a logical opinion. I have built computers for well over 10 years just because i`m interested in them, I`m not a certified PC maker or designer, but I can have opinions on them from an informed position. The Devs are not magical wizards, just good in their field. The understanding is not beyond anyone with an interest. Maybe we Luddites might actually be right once in a while, it`s happened before.

In MY actual field of expertise I let people have an opinion and I don`t tell them they can`t have one because they aren`t certified. Sometimes they`re right. I will always allow them a say.

I do have real reasons and quite a few. But i`m not here to argue them with you. Of what benefit would that be? You`re not a Dev and you clearly don`t subscribe to this view.

I know all this. You are wasting your time and mine, my point and that of the op is made, so I think this part of the thread should end, so I will stop here.

Edited by seafireliv

^ whatever. Rant all you like. You don’t have any idea how the engine works. If you want to go search the reasons why the Career Mode needs to be online it’s all been discussed here and in RoF. 

And if you can’t state any real reason why it’s a problem to be online then why should anyone care?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, seafireliv said:

I do have real reasons and quite a few. But i`m not here to argue them with you. Of what benefit would that be? You`re not a Dev and you clearly don`t subscribe to this view.

You make this sound like some sort of moral philosophical diatribe. 

Most people’s reason for wanting an offline mode would just be that their internet service sucks. 

7 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Yes, but that's usually not the main concern. The bigger problem is that you never truly own a game that must connect to a central server to function properly. When the servers are inevitably shut down, those features die.

Games that are purely offline or allow server hosting live forever (or at least as long as suitable hardware is available). I've enjoyed many ancient games long after the publishers had pulled the plug. The same cannot be said for many games with online requirements.

• Like 1

Just now, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Yes, but that's usually not the main concern. The bigger problem is that you never truly own a game that must connect to a central server to function properly. When the servers are inevitably shut down, those features die.

Games that are purely offline or allow server hosting live forever (or at least as long as suitable hardware is available). I've enjoyed many ancient games long after the publishers had pulled the plug. The same cannot be said for many games with online requirements.

Nothing lives forever. Especially computer software. By the time this game is obsolete they’ll have made better ones. Rise of Flight is still supported after 10 years. Now it’s being upgraded as Flying Circus. Same thing will likely happen to GB eventually. 

You're worrying too far into the future. Online or not a game is only going to function for so long especially after it’s no longer supported. Such is life. 

26 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Nothing lives forever. Especially computer software. By the time this game is obsolete they’ll have made better ones.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that nobody will continue wanting to play it.

29 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You're worrying too far into the future.

I'm not particularly worried about Il-2; I'm just pointing out that this is a concern that exists. Looking up news headlines for "servers shutting down" shows that there is considerable interest in such events.

36 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Online or not a game is only going to function for so long especially after it’s no longer supported. Such is life.

The fact remains that offline games can function forever as long as a suitable platform is available. Abandonware last compiled 15 years ago often runs just fine on Windows 10. Meanwhile, many much more recent games are completely unusable due to the loss of online functionality.

• Like 1

hang in there, OP. I have the same stick as you, if you get it working correctly its brilliant, you should have no trouble handling the aircraft. I'm somewhat new to the game but have hundreds of hours racked up already, let me know if you need a hand with keybindings in order to navigate the throttle, engine management and stuff. I use a control scheme that I used with war thunder as I developed the muscle memory in that game

Posted (edited)

PS in the ini, with Cliffs it is the confUser.ini file in C:\Documents and Settings\ ... username...\My Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

===> came across this on the ATAG forum:

Joystick and HOTAS port mapping program - JoyID

JoyID is a great little utility that helps keep all our simulation devices (joystick, throttle, pedals, etc.) in the correct ports under Windows. This utility allows you to choose which port windows will use for each device.

Since Windows has a bad habit of re-arranging ports when you add another USB device, one can imagine how frustrating it might be to finally have all your buttons/axis assigned just to lose them all once you've changed some USB devices around.

This utility keeps the ports where you want them to assigned to regardless of USB changes and is perfect for those with multiple devices from different manufacturers.

joyid picture.jpg

JoyIDsInstall.zip

Edited by jollyjack