RedKestrel

3.101 - New Startup Procedures

2 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

My Yak wont start anymore, I have Mixture at full and throttle at null as usual but the engine just sputters and then wont start again.

Help?

try a bit of throttle

3 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

My Yak wont start anymore, I have Mixture at full and throttle at null as usual but the engine just sputters and then wont start again.

Help?

Add some throttle or check video I posted  above.

Posted (edited)

If you have trouble getting your head around moving one lever and pressing a single button, just leave auto engine management checked on. You still can always turn on manual controlls in flight by pressing shift+R, shift+M and shift+S to controll the radiators, mixture and supercharger gear manually (or only one of them).

Too much hysteria about what is a welcome addition to many.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

I believe that the basic engine starts we used to have should be a client-side option and not server-side.

Why not have it be server choice?

Server choice on = People have to do the manual start up (of sorts)

Server choice off = People can do as they please (i.e. either on or off on their client)

It looks like people hate having the choice, seriously...

Please do the same for the UI. Make that a server option too.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

Help?

I just tried and started all three Yaks, so no probs for me. The mixture lever is full rich when pulled BACK on the Yaks; starting in QMB it appears to default to Forward, so check that perhaps? On a slightly different note, I always open the throttle about an inch before starting the engine - it seems to help.

Edit: I see that it's already solved. Jolly good.

Edited by Red_Cat
Beaten to it!
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

I believe that the basic engine starts we used to have should be a client-side option and not server-side. Otherwise it's just another mechanism to fracture the playerbase.

I disagree, the more options server admins have to customise the servers the better.

If I choose to play on a  "Hardcore"  Server then I would prefer it if everyone was on a level playing field, I would naturally gravitate towards those servers because they have the settings I enjoy. One addition I would really love to see is a server side option to allow / disallow tech chat and hud instruments, which has already been mentioned in the thread by some others.

I always thought it was strange that it was not designed like that from the start.

• Upvote 3

I haven't tried this yet but as an extension of this I very much hope they re-introduce complex start ups like we had in CloD, toggle option for simple startup or complex startup in the options and then those who want to do it properly can and those that want to hit E and start flying can.

i really do hope to see that one day.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Melonfish said:

I haven't tried this yet but as an extension of this I very much hope they re-introduce complex start ups like we had in CloD, toggle option for simple startup or complex startup in the options and then those who want to do it properly can and those that want to hit E and start flying can.

i really do hope to see that one day.

its there now, client can choose on servers where complex starts are not enforced.

1 hour ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

Help?

Make sure RPM is fully forward and crack your throttle to about 10% or so, see if that helps. 

7 hours ago, LukeFF said:

The fine makers of the P-39, P-40, and P-47 would like to take this moment to remind everyone that the forward mixture position on the throttle quadrant is marked as "Full Rich." :) 

Not to mention, I found plenty of references to real-world pilots and instructors saying "Full Mixture." :) 

You got me, case closed.

Unfortunately it appears you missed the point ENTIRELY.  😒 Do any of them say "Mix"? I doubt it, that was the salient point in my example of how to talk down to someone, mixture not mix. That went right over your cranium. This is a game...not flying...gamers can and will use whatever terms they want. Gamers, like the cool kids in high school frequently talk down to folks that don't have their insight or knowledge level. While the whole new undocumented "improved immersion" start procedure (262 springs to mind) may indeed be two or three extra presses of two keys, it's NOT like throwing a switch in a cockpit, nor is having stuff mapped to your HOTAS. Thinking it makes things more realistic is not something a RL pilot would claim in my experience. And just because you have it sussed out, please try helping, educating, not demonstrating your incredulity at those too thick to absorb the changes by osmosis.

Based upon my limited RL simulator experience, we went through phases of doing full start procedures. However when our focus was on lets say radar low level, or intercepts, the sim instructor started everything (think the easy E key) so we could spend our brain bytes on the fun stuff.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Hi folks just a short video showing engine start-up with and without assists. Hopefully some of you will find it of use. 

Well done Custard, great little video... Explained and demonstrated in easy steps so even I could take it in.  :biggrin:

Thanks for taking the time to try and help, it's much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Thanks for taking the time to try and help, it's much appreciated.

Happy to help mate ;)

33 minutes ago, busdriver said:

You got me, case closed.

Unfortunately it appears you missed the point ENTIRELY.  😒 Do any of them say "Mix"? I doubt it, that was the salient point in my example of how to talk down to someone, mixture not mix. That went right over your cranium. This is a game...not flying...gamers can and will use whatever terms they want. Gamers, like the cool kids in high school frequently talk down to folks that don't have their insight or knowledge level. While the whole new undocumented "improved immersion" start procedure (262 springs to mind) may indeed be two or three extra presses of two keys, it's NOT like throwing a switch in a cockpit, nor is having stuff mapped to your HOTAS. Thinking it makes things more realistic is not something a RL pilot would claim in my experience. And just because you have it sussed out, please try helping, educating, not demonstrating your incredulity at those too thick to absorb the changes by osmosis.

Based upon my limited RL simulator experience, we went through phases of doing full start procedures. However when our focus was on lets say radar low level, or intercepts, the sim instructor started everything (think the easy E key) so we could spend our brain bytes on the fun stuff.

In his defence, Luke DID explain early in the thread how to get the planes started very simply in 99% of cases (mixture and prop/RPM at maximum, hit E). 

I agree it should all be documented, preferably in the tech specs. just have a little section saying "To start the engine, advance the RPM lever to fully forward and set the mixture to Full Rich/Auto Rich/whatever it takes to make the engine start, increase throttle to 10%, then press E". if its documented like this its literally seconds of difference from before, there's no confusion. Everyone should be able to figure this out with a minimum of fuss, provided they know they have to do this. A new player may assume the game is bugged or broken if they hit E and nothing happens.

If it can be set on or off I think it should be client side too, and not be a server restriction for realism in multiplayer. To enforce it on the server side would be sort of useless, as starting the engine automatically and starting it with a few lever movements takes the exact same amount of time and confers no advantage or disadvantage at all. 

All that being said this is really a tempest in a teapot.

2 hours ago, ACG_Woop said:

Why not have it be server choice?

Server choice on = People have to do the manual start up (of sorts)

Server choice off = People can do as they please (i.e. either on or off on their client)

It looks like people hate having the choice, seriously...

Please do the same for the UI. Make that a server option too.

1 hour ago, Herne said:

I disagree, the more options server admins have to customise the servers the better.

If I choose to play on a  "Hardcore"  Server then I would prefer it if everyone was on a level playing field, I would naturally gravitate towards those servers because they have the settings I enjoy. One addition I would really love to see is a server side option to allow / disallow tech chat and hud instruments, which has already been mentioned in the thread by some others.

I always thought it was strange that it was not designed like that from the start.

My reasoning is that doing startups manually is an item that has no bearing on the "combat" part in a combat simulator so why should it matter exactly how people start the plane if everything is the same after the engine is started. It's irrelevant to my experience on a server if someone chooses to startup an airplane manually or with a single keypress. Allowing the player to do either start on any server gives the player a choice, if a server enforces a setting then the player's choice is removed and you possibly lose another pilot to shoot at in the air who is put off by having to deal with starting things manually. If you essentially say "good riddance" to a player who doesn't want to deal with that then I don't know what to say.

Complex engine management being a server option while flying makes sense because it directly affects the combat/competitive side of things, but startups are just a mundane process honestly. Whether you click the switches, press a few keys, or press one key, the result is the same but it's just perceived that doing so makes one more expert than another. Making something more difficult does not necessarily make something more realistic. Full on startup processes in sims are more difficult than in real life, because in real life you can easily utilise a flow and kinesthetic memory to reach out and do the process. This is in effect how some people learn best (by touching) and this adversely affects their learning ability in a sim where everything is on a screen or written down. There's also all the fiddling around with the mouse to get it in the right spot, making sure keys are assigned correctly, maneuvering trackIR, etc. to add to frustration. We need to understand that people learn differently which affects how they get their enjoyment out of whatever sim they choose to fly.

Basically, things that may provide an advantage in the air I understand as having a server option for, but on the ground before an engine even starts...who cares?  If I shoot someone down or was shot down by someone the last thing I would wonder is "hmmm did they start their engine manually or automatically" It doesn't affect my multiplayer experience at all knowing how someone got their engine started either way. I just welcome the fact that there was another multiplayer pilot to create that experience with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 10

6 minutes ago, SYN_Requiem said:

My reasoning is that doing startups manually is an item that has no bearing on the "combat" part in a combat simulator so why should it matter exactly how people start the plane if everything is the same after the engine is started. It's irrelevant to my experience on a server if someone chooses to startup an airplane manually or with a single keypress. Allowing the player to do either start on any server gives the player a choice, if a server enforces a setting then the player's choice is removed and you possibly lose another pilot to shoot at in the air who is put off by having to deal with starting things manually. If you essentially say "good riddance" to a player who doesn't want to deal with that then I don't know what to say.

Complex engine management being a server option while flying makes sense because it directly affects the combat/competitive side of things, but startups are just a mundane process honestly. Whether you click the switches, press a few keys, or press one key, the result is the same but it's just perceived that doing so makes one more expert than another. Making something more difficult does not necessarily make something more realistic. Full on startup processes in sims are more difficult than in real life, because in real life you can easily utilise a flow and kinesthetic memory to reach out and do the process. This is in effect how some people learn best (by touching) and this adversely affects their learning ability in a sim where everything is on a screen or written down. There's also all the fiddling around with the mouse to get it in the right spot, making sure keys are assigned correctly, maneuvering trackIR, etc. to add to frustration. We need to understand that people learn differently which affects how they get their enjoyment out of whatever sim they choose to fly.

Basically, things that may provide an advantage in the air I understand as having a server option for, but on the ground before an engine even starts...who cares?  If I shoot someone down or was shot down by someone the last thing I would wonder is "hmmm did they start their engine manually or automatically" It doesn't affect my multiplayer experience at all knowing how someone got their engine started either way. I just welcome the fact that there was another multiplayer pilot to create that experience with me.

I would agree if the custom option was labelled as a quick start. I would have no problems with that, but they seem to be tied to engine assists which could prevent you abusing them in the air ? 

in which case it kind of does make a difference however slight in combat

21 minutes ago, Herne said:

I would agree if the custom option was labelled as a quick start. I would have no problems with that, but they seem to be tied to engine assists which could prevent you abusing them in the air ? 

in which case it kind of does make a difference however slight in combat

Yes, right now the auto-start method is tied to engine assists, which would make a difference online, especially in some of the more temperamental birds.

So ideally this type of thing should be separated from those settings and be a client-side decision, rather than server side, if we're to have an option. As Requiem says, it conveys no advantage or disadvantage online in combat. If it bothers you that someone else is hitting E instead of adjusting mixture, RPM and then hitting E, just close your eyes and pretend they're doing the same thing you're doing, you'll never know either way.

35 minutes ago, SYN_Requiem said:

~snip~

Agreed. On the other hand, though, let's be honest: for people having mapped RPM and mixture to physical axes, this doesn't change anything. And for the rest, it's still such a minor change I really fail to see what the fuss is all about.

I mean, I assume this was added to make the 262's engine management possible. If it was not tied to that, then yeah, it's a weird design decisions, or at least it's a bit out of the blue.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 7:05 AM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Considering the size of the BOBP map, we are going to have some very thirsty Spits and 109's, so fingers crossed for drop tanks at some point. ;)

flying-dray-on-ground.thumb.jpg.275ef956fc17342730320fe1dba73257.jpg

Bloody hell! Beer keggers! Awesome! Though they induce lots of drag but after one takes a few slugs off of the tube snaked into the cockpit who the hell cares.

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Quinte said:

Agreed. On the other hand, though, let's be honest: for people having mapped RPM and mixture to physical axes, this doesn't change anything. And for the rest, it's still such a minor change I really fail to see what the fuss is all about.

I mean, I assume this was added to make the 262's engine management possible. If it was not tied to that, then yeah, it's a weird design decisions, or at least it's a bit out of the blue.

TBH I think the inspiration came from RoF, IIRC the manual starts were tied in with the complex engine management over there which was enforced server side. RoF player base wanted similar functionality to what they had for flying circus, so bringing that to the rest of GB was a natural evolution.

With warm starts most props really don't care too much about settings, a bit of throttle, full RPM and quite often you can choose whatever mixture you like and it won't care to much and start quite happily.

The engine ignitor bind was needed for engine flame outs, so as long as you have to bind it, then why not include it as part of the engine start ? I think many people find it interesting having the interaction with the throttle advance to idle, and up to taxi power being careful not to overheat the engines.

with hind sight though, I think it would have caused a lot less confusion that for the great battles component at least (BoX) if the custom option was labelled quick start. Although perhaps that would have caused more confusion to the RoF crowd. Anyway it is what it is. I think for some people it will take a bit of getting used to, and grow on many of them. 

The helpers are available if they strongly prefer the single engine start, but what does confuse me a little bit, is that this only really effects people who play MP ? Single player experiences (career mode) hardest available options for us are start from runway, no start up necessary. Now if you are going to take the time to learn to taxi your aircraft to the runway, close the canopy, get off the ground, navigate,  learn level bombing, correct lead for dogfights, and all that stuff, then why is the manual start, which really is not that complex such a hurdle ? I don't get it.

Edited by Herne
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

I took the buttons under the levers of my throttle quadrant, that usually increase prop pitch for me. I didn't find any prop pitch for the 262 so far. Problem solved.

Same here - easy, simple, done. 

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

Oh c'mon, relax, it was just a bit a humor and ribbing. It's like those in military calling a helmet a "kevlar" instead of a helmet - everyone knows what the term means and doesn't think a second more of it. Likewise, I would hope that RL pilots wouldn't have a fit over someone calling mixture "mix". :) 

10 hours ago, LukeFF said:

The fine makers of the P-39, P-40, and P-47 would like to take this moment to remind everyone that the forward mixture position on the throttle quadrant is marked as "Full Rich." :) 

But British being "British" put Full Rich in back side of Spitfire Mk.V quadrant. Think this will make the "press E" crow pull their hairs when switch planes. 😀

22 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Haven't had a chance to play the new update yet, I had to do the download overnight. Any notes in the tech tips in-game about startup? They're not any different where posted on the forum but those may be a bit out of date.

I know its not that complicated but I think a simple section on startup procedures at the beginning of each plane's tech tips would be nice to have. E.g. set mixture to auto rich/full rich/whatever, set RPM to max, crack throttle x-amount. Especially for newcomers who will get frustrated if they can't even start the planes and have no idea why. 

Amen!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Herne said:

What difference does it actually make tl your online mp server experience how someone wants to go througj the start up procedure? Does it make it easier for them to fly or navigate? Does it make them a better or worse pilot to not want to do this every time? Does it get them to the target significantly quicker?

I don't believe that how engines are started will have any effect at all on other players. I do agree that management in the air once started is another matter.

I'm not picking on this post or you in particular, it is just handy for me to state my personal opinion

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gridset said:

maybe people then would use the time they save to taxi to the runway instead of running into things at full throttle from parking 🙂

Don't mention this, or soon someone will ask for an "auto-taxi" keybinding...😀

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TP_Silk said:

What difference does it actually make tl your online mp server experience how someone wants to go througj the start up procedure? Does it make it easier for them to fly or navigate? Does it make them a better or worse pilot to not want to do this every time? Does it get them to the target significantly quicker?

I don't believe that how engines are started will have any effect at all on other players. I do agree that management in the air once started is another matter.

I'm not picking on this post or you in particular, it is just handy for me to state my personal opinion

It's ok, I did explain a bit later, that the problem currently is that the assists are tied to assists which do affect flight. If it was simply a quick start option, then there would be no resistance here

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

problem fixed complexity of this aditional manual startup was preventing me to play online so i trained my parrot alfonz to press 2 keys on startup, guess he can now start up vvs ww2 fighters.

Requiem post fully shows whats the problem , its not that its to complex its just that is totaly unneccesary and tedious to do when needs to be repeted for no reason and can not be skiped if you dont have a monkey or parrot at hand when you play this game more then one flight per week.

Edited by 77.CountZero

I just don't get it... what is wrong with some of you people?

We are not all flippin clones... we are all different, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Some people like the idea of extra button presses for that 'realism factor'

Some people like the idea of a '1 click quick start'.

Nothing wrong there with either group.

Yet, for some reason, if you are in the '1 click quick start' group, and you are trying to put your point across, then you are suddenly some sort of problem child or drama queen.

I just don't get this elitist mentality that seems to kick in in these forums sometimes.

It's ok to have different opinions and discuss things with people in a civil manner... but getting all snotty and uppity over what amounts to F-all is just silly.

I will say, people who have bothered to take the time to explain the new process in this thread, many thanks... it has helped clear things up for me, and I am now enlightened :yahoo:

• Upvote 6

Single Player - set "E for all".

15 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Yet, for some reason, if you are in the '1 click quick start' group, and you are trying to put your point across, then you are suddenly some sort of problem child or drama queen.

I just don't get this elitist mentality that seems to kick in in these forums sometimes.

It's ok to have different opinions and discuss things with people in a civil manner... but getting all snotty and uppity over what amounts to F-all is just silly.

I will say, people who have bothered to take the time to explain the new process in this thread, many thanks... it has helped clear things up for me, and I am now enlightened 

The problem extends from select individuals in the forums who have "the game is perfect" mentality as nothing in the game could be incorrect or improved in their view. They also like to pat themselves on the back by positive reactions to each other in nearly every reply. In fact a good number of them filled this thread with replies and thus resulted in the thread we have now. So if you are curious about who they are simply look at the ones that laugh at everything they disagree with it and notice only the select few posters they will upvote. I will also note they like to derail topics they disagree with because that gets the thread locked. Pretty much been the same mantra from them for a while now.  Hopefully this will show how why the forums get this way and 9 out of 10 times it will be the same individuals causing it.. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I just don't get it... what is wrong with some of you people?

We are not all flippin clones... we are all different, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Some people like the idea of extra button presses for that 'realism factor'

Some people like the idea of a '1 click quick start'.

Nothing wrong there with either group.

I will say, people who have bothered to take the time to explain the new process in this thread, many thanks... it has helped clear things up for me, and I am now enlightened :yahoo:

I didn't mean any offence to anyone, and happy that you have got stuff sorted. Truth is there are things that could have made these changes easier for everyone, notes in tech specs for example.

It's the guys that don't frequent the forums or discord communities, which are really going to have a frustrating time, and it would be nice to see a sticky, with requiem's and custards vid's and perhaps some written instructions where when they do come searching for answers that they will be easy to find. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

So if an airfield is being raided by the enemy team and there's say DCS manual engine start up procedures, the guy that has to do that all manually under pressure has no disadvantage to the guy who can just press e? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like a pretty large gameplay advantage to me. How about if you don't like the servers rules don't play on that server? Easy enough.

Edited by JgonRedcorn

22 minutes ago, JgonRedcorn said:

So if an airfield is being raided by the enemy team and there's say DCS manual engine start up procedures, the guy that has to do that all manually under pressure has no disadvantage to the guy who can just press e? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like a pretty large gameplay advantage to me. How about if you don't like the servers rules don't play on that server? Easy enough.

Lol what? If you are being bombed, you might want to just not spawn there. As for the "DCS manual engine start", it's just not there. All that's asked of you is setting up two axes before pressing E, and even my grandmother could do that in less than two seconds. And she's been deceased for years.

3 minutes ago, Quinte said:

Lol what? If you are being bombed, you might want to just not spawn there. As for the "DCS manual engine start", it's just not there. All that's asked of you is setting up two axes before pressing E, and even my grandmother could do that in less than two seconds. And she's been deceased for years.

You must be confused.

Requiem is saying servers shouldn't be able to tell people which way to start up engines because it's not something that effects gameplay, I beg to differ. If you bothered to read this thread at all, or even skim it you would of seen the multiple posts I've made in favor of the new startups.... :rtfm:

Jesus, this thread is unreal. I am filled with regret. Somebody go back in time and hit me with a couple Mk109 shells from their new 262s so I never start this thread.

Dear Everyone:
-Moving a few levers before pressing E doesn't make you a better pilot than other people, and wanting a one touch start doesn't make you a fake pilot (most of us already ARE fake pilots).
-Wanting to move a few levers before pressing E doesn't make you an elitist, and enjoying it doesn't make you a nerd (we're all already waaaay past that anyway)
-the engine startup takes the exact same amount of time regardless of whether you move the levers or the computer does it for you, so you're not losing any flying time

-please, for the love of god, don't quit flying online because of this, in a week or two it will be second nature, RedKestrel believes in you, you can do the thing!

-better documentation would be nice to have in general, and in this case a few lines in the tech specs are all that's needed and all I want
-having it client side would probably be OK, but the change is minor enough I think most people won't care

Now everyone take a deep breath, relax, realize that we are all just motes of dust in a vast uncaring universe and we all will die alone, and enjoy the game, even if you have to hit a few more keys to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

Snip 

It's not all about combat though for some of us. Yes it may have no bearing on actual combat, but it has bearing on immersion for example. 

Players must be given the choice to enforce whatever they want on their server or not to. That's the nature of a game like this. It's not just about dogfighting and having an advantage in the air. 

I fly with UI off even though I know I have no advantage in the air over someone who has the engine overheat pop up. 

Edited by ACG_Woop
  • Upvote 1

Time to 🔒

All useful information regarding the “issue” has been posted and people are just squabbling now. :coffee:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Guys I strongly believe the reason there are separate ignition buttons for the 262 is so you can restart the extremely temperamental engines in flight in the most efficient way possible. A way that would be very clunky if it was just left to the e key.

• Upvote 1

Hello all,

I think the manual starting feature is fine for players who are into that type of stuff.

Personally, I prefer automatic starts when playing. I start aircraft engines for a living, so when I'm 'playing' at aviation, I'd rather avoid the stuff that occurs when the kite isn't moving. Taxiing is fine, Box models this quite well in fact, complex engine management in flight? Sure. But starting? Meh for me. One of the things I like about BoX is that the time it takes for the mill to start up when you hit E isn't too short, so it doesn't give players an advantage over players who use manual start in online servers.

Conky

• Upvote 1