PerfectionMan

Need ground Refuel, Rearm and Repair so no Respawn!

Posted (edited)

It’s funny people are so concerned about “realism” in MP which is itself the least realistic game mode imaginable 😂

Because WWII was fought by lone wolf bombers and lone wolf fighters flying in circles trying to find other lone wolves...

dying and then respawning in endless battles. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Whatever. Like most requests people probably wouldn’t use the feature. Have you ever seen anyone in MP land? No. They’ll just airquake until shot down and respawn. And then take off across the field instead of using the runway... just like full realism!

You’re flying on the wrong server.  I see people land all the time in WoL.

Some form of this was partially implemented into the game prior, if you look within the Mission Editor you can see airfield objects have Repair Friendlies, Rearm Friendlies, and Refuil Friendlies parameters.

uJm2WRQ.png

Also this thread exists about this very same topic:

This has been discussed thoroughly already, the majority of people DO NOT want this feature implemented because it simply extends the amount of time people have to waste in order to take off again. Same reason you don't see fully interactive cockpits where you can click on every switch, people prefer simplicity over a 100% simulated realistic experience. The realistic experience is supplemented by the combat and the features of the respective planes, not by ancillary features like maintenance and start-up procedures.

I would still argue in favor of this rearm & refuel feature, DCS has had this sort of feature implemented since its very existence. Of course it does not take 1 minute to fully refuel and rearm a modern jet, the time there is accelerated and the invisible ground crew takes care of all the work. For this to work in IL-2 simply follow the model DCS uses, accelerate the rearm and refuel procedure, the time taken wont be 100% realistic but you still have the core feature available so you do retain some of the realism others yearn for. And if people still complain that this makes the game too boring and they can't get their dopamine hits fast enough, just make it a server side setting, server owners can check off if they do or do not want this feature enabled on their server.

This is the main counter argument people give : "it would take too much time even if the procedure is accelerated and augmented to favor play-ability over realism". Sure it still looks cool when your plane is weighed down with bombs and all your ammunition trays are opened to load the guns/cannons, but I am certain the developers have much higher priorities that both they and the majority of players find more worthwhile. For some sitting on the ground watching a plane go through maintenance is not worth their time and money.

DCS only puts this detail into their game because they openly call their game a SIMULATOR (also world), thus they try to simulate as much as they are capable of. This IL-2 uses a much more relaxed term, it calls itself a flight-sim, so it pertains more to the aspects of flight rather than the entire simulated environment.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I have to admit that I have accidentally landed the wrong way a couple of times.   On some fields, if there is no one spawned,  there is no obvious spawn area and there is not enough wind to move the windsock or smoke then it can be difficult to see which runway is active.

Of course,  server creators could help by using runway Ts or perhaps not using identical beacons/flares at both ends of the runway.

Don't worry.   I've pulled some truly jackass landing stunts on airfields when I was sure nobody else was present.  lol   It's really more of an issue when players land against a large or steady flow of planes taking off, then claiming "landing planes get right-of-way" which is true *if* they are landing with the direction flow of planes taking off.  The only time that landing against traffic should be o.k. is emergency landing with only one chance to put the plane down safely.  Please do try to fire flares or declare in chat the emergency before landing.  :salute:

OK enough about that, back to the topic....

The moment high altitude spawn bombers (yes there are such people) start zeroing-in on the maintenance points on the airfield, the "RR = Really Realism" group will de-spawn just like everybody else when they become aware that the ground crew can't reconstitute a plane from scattered parts in a hole in the ground.  I GUARRANTEE it.

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

4 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

You’re flying on the wrong server.  I see people land all the time in WoL.

Of course I’m talking about WoL, it’s the only MP server in this game that ever has players. 

Half the players there take off straight across the field because they don’t know how to taxi. 

Since we’re so concerned about “realism” in MP what about the arcade “my plane” icon on this “Expert” server?

7 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

blah...blah...blah...

Dude, you said "Have you ever seen anyone land?"  I see it all the time.

In any case, you are on the wrong thread.  This is the "R&R is more realistic so we must have it" thread.  You need to find the "no one cares about realism, so we must have R&R" thread.

34 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Dude, you said "Have you ever seen anyone land?"  I see it all the time.

In any case, you are on the wrong thread.  This is the "R&R is more realistic so we must have it" thread.  You need to find the "no one cares about realism, so we must have R&R" thread.

Honestly I don’t think “realism” matters with this one way or the other. Maybe the feature would be a waste of time to implement? Maybe it would create new mission design opportunities? But realism? In Multiplayer? Seriously?

Figure out another reason...

36 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Not sure why you think realism should be discouraged, but that isn't my problem.

Well realism isn't exactly encouraged in this game either. They make an attempt at it but end up falling short in quite a few areas.

Great game but the realism department needs alot of improvement.

RR could potentially encourage realistic behavior even if the system itself isn't realistic.

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

RR could potentially encourage realistic behavior even if the system itself isn't realistic.

It would encourage me to taxi into people who are trying to hoard the better fighters, so maybe not.

22 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It would encourage me to taxi into people who are trying to hoard the better fighters, so maybe not.

That's your choice bud, kinda strange that you would destroy your own team just because you didn't get a "good" aircraft.

Kinda strange that people on my team feel the need to hoard the best aircraft, so @#&* them.

2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Kinda strange that people on my team feel the need to hoard the best aircraft, so @#&* them.

If they had the aircraft first and worked to keep it safe why should they give it to you? First come first serve, it's always been that way in Il2.

Honestly I think you just look for things to complain about. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Legioneod said:

If they had the aircraft first and worked to keep it safe why should they give it to you? First come first serve, it's always been that way in Il2.

Yeah, I get it.  ‘I got mine and F everyone else” is how a lot of people play this game.  Well, F you too.  I like the current system where it’s slightly more difficult to screw over the rest of the guys on your side.  Honestly, I think you just look for things to complain about.

Landing and re-arming is fine if it's there, and fine if it isn't.  It's not like "oooh we get to rearm/refuel, this game just became so much better!"  Since it isn't there , there are probably about a dozen things that I'd rather see the developers take their time with.

• Upvote 3

As long as there wouldn't be a "repair" function as well, it would be bloody usesless of a feature in WoL. How fast would that happen? If you're just a click away from being refuelled and rearmed and patching up all those holes, cleaning the blood from the seats and windscreen etc., then in practise it is just about "keeping your A/C" instead of potentially seeing the dreaded "airfield conditions have changed" pop up.

I mean, thinking of it: if there would be a time requirement (like DCS, even though it is a short time there) for getting your A/C ready again whlie your bird sits on the ground, that would be vulchers paradise. Just think of how many more targets there would be at the maintenance points. An 1.8 ton cracker would be great for stats then. Or maybe peeps would require to have an aircraft ready in 10 seconds for da grand real realism mode?

6 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Landing and re-arming is fine if it's there, and fine if it isn't.  It's not like "oooh we get to rearm/refuel, this game just became so much better!"  Since it isn't there , there are probably about a dozen things that I'd rather see the developers take their time with.

I agree, much more important things I'd like to see implemented/improved first.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Legioneod said:

It's more of a pathological contrarianism...he's always been that way.

The best thing to do is decide to find it amusing.

He's harmless to have around most of the time if not beneficial in anyway.

Re-arm and refuel is one of his "trigger terms"

The other big one is "Hyperlobby CoOps"

Hey, I think we really need rearm/refuel AND Hyperlobby! ...and I think they both should be priorities that the devs should spend a ton of time on them.

See now he's torn between reacting in his normal predicable (amusing) way, and not wanting to look like he's so easy to predict.

I have him on ignore since most days I just can't handle that much amusement.

Also you know you've gotten to him if he posts a "lol" reaction.

Now he's also torn what to do there as well for the same reason noted above.

See?...amusing.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, PerfectionMan said:

as well as damage repair

While being open to such functionality, how would that look like? In the real world, you‘d be issued another aircraft from the ones that were available at the moment. Almost like we have it now. So, what would be the difference?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

My thoughts exactly.   If one of us whipped up a workable version using scripts in their spare time then I would be grateful for having it in those rare circumstances where respawning has a downside but I would not want one of Jasons team to delay working on something more critical just to do this.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

I also would prefer R/R/R-function like this great function is available in IL2-1946-Mods.

I love such amazing endless missions after serveral rearming-procedures!

The reason is that first it´s absolutely realistic (i.e at 1.9.1942 Marseilles shot down 17 fighters in 3 missions at one day!) and second this is a game and not a trainingssimulator for real life pilots. Therefore the developer has to consider the wishes of the community and I think it would be only a little work to implement the R/R/R-function like in the old IL2-mods. Everybody is free in using such a function - so I cannot understand this persistent refusing of the developer to implement this realistic function.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, simpit1 said:

I also would prefer R/R/R-function like this great function is available in IL2-1946-Mods.

I love such amazing endless missions after serveral rearming-procedures!

The reason is that first it´s absolutely realistic (i.e at 1.9.1942 Marseilles shot down 17 fighters in 3 missions at one day!) and second this is a game and not a trainingssimulator for real life pilots. Therefore the developer has to consider the wishes of the community and I think it would be only a little work to implement the R/R/R-function like in the old IL2-mods. Everybody is free in using such a function - so I cannot understand this persistent refusing of the developer to implement this realistic function.

lol

You know that they are going to implement RRR ? Probably you should look at the latest Developer Diarys.  Besides, it won't be "realistic." There won't be a ground crew coming to fill up your plane with fuel. Neither would the bullet holes suddenly disappear. Because after damage, the bird would stay on the ground until the plane is fully operational. And it will probably take less than 5 minutes until you are back in the air, which is also "unrealistic". 

Yeah, would be great. 5 Minutes is aceptable also for unpatient virtual pilots like me! Thanks for the info!

“After that, we'll get to repairing, refueling and refitting the aircraft on the ground.” 👍

Awesome views! Great job, thanks to the developers!!!!!!!!!!!