PerfectionMan

Need ground Refuel, Rearm and Repair so no Respawn!

Are there plans to introduce ground refueling and rearming as well as damage repair so we don't have to respawn into a new aircraft every time we land?  Would add more realism to the game IMO.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

I don't think it would be very realistic but I would like to see it added, maybe not the repair bit though.

But I would definitely like to see refuel and rearm even though it would be faster to just get a new aircraft. Main benefit of rr is that you wont risk losing the last aircraft in slot.

I do believe I saw one of the Devs say they would like to see it added one day, but it's probably in the distant future.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

Making the game less realistic adds realism how exactly?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Making the game less realistic adds realism how exactly?

Are you suggesting that aircraft in real life are never rearmed, refueled or repaired and just thrown in the bin?, whereupon a factory fresh one just pops up out of nowhere, like it happens in "the game" :) 

Edited by Pict
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pict said:

Are you suggesting that aircraft in real life are never re-armed, re-fueled or repaired and just thrown in the bin?, whereupon a factory fresh on just pops up out of nowhere :) 

Think he was responding to legioneds comment.

Just now, Pict said:

Are you suggesting that aircraft in real life are never re-armed, re-fueled or repaired and just thrown in the bin?, whereupon a factory fresh on just pops up out of nowhere :) 

Willing to wait an hour or so to take off again? ☺️

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, pfrances said:

yes, i dont understand how ppl think this is something neccesary, i remenber it in clod on some servers and it was totaly arcade, RRR in 2min lol, no need for such thing here.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Who says it would take that long? I've refueled aircraft myself, and even with barrels and a hand-pump it all depends on how much fuel you are transferring and how much of a hurry you are in.

Say you had run low on fuel, but there was a few satellite airfields near en-route that you could refuel enough to RTB, would you land (5 min) pump some gas (10 min) and take off again (5 min) = 20 min or would you just hit the silk or risk a wheels up somewhere?

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1

'Average' time to rearm and refuel during the Battle of Britain was around 20 mins... although in exceptional circumstances with extra ground crew available it was done in about 10 mins.

During the Malta battle this was reported... On the morning of 9 May. 64 Spitfires destined for Malta took off from the decks of the carriers USS Wasp and HMS Eagle and, this time, Malta was ready for them. The AOC decided that if the aircraft arrived in moderately serviceable condition and in daylight, it should be possible to re-arm and refuel them within ten minutes, thus avoiding a repetition of the damage inflicted following the previous delivery. Five ground crew were to be allocated to each aircraft pen. As soon as the long-range tanks were removed and the fighter refuelled and re-armed, it would take off. this time with an experienced "Malta hand' at the controls.

Meanwhile, the initial batch of Spitfires had got down safely: a few were refuelled within four minutes, the remainder within seven, with pilots strapped in the cockpits ready to scramble.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PerfectionMan said:

Are there plans to introduce ground refueling and rearming as well as damage repair so we don't have to respawn into a new aircraft every time we land?  

No.

Solution is to land, turn of engine, go make a cup of tea, come back after 15 mins and then respawn.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PerfectionMan said:

Are there plans to introduce ground refueling and rearming as well as damage repair so we don't have to respawn into a new aircraft every time we land?  Would add more realism to the game IMO.

Rearm & refuel would be relatively easy to incorporate and certainly realistic, or at least as realistic as the mission builder wanted to make it.

Repair is another kettle of fish and depends on what you mean by damage.

Air-frame damage is going to take anything from, a very long time, to not possible. Engine damage would most likely result in replacing the engine. So either way, it's not a realistic option mission time wise.

I would prefer to see them replace the current egg timer engine damage model (ETEDM) to coin a phrase :) , so that engine & air-frame hours are taken into account. That would open up many realist opportunities mission wise.

20 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Solution is to land, turn of engine, go make a cup of tea, come back after 15 mins and then respawn.

Brits had that one covered so you didn't need to make it yourself :)

Spoiler

623764648_1941-Austin-K2-YMCA-Tea-Van-Croome-Court-Worcestershire.jpg.04bc2d2da67820606bad4651b6800875.jpg

Edited by Pict

would add realism?

Last time I checked, planes need to be refueled in order to fly again.

So the answer is... yes.

Do we want to wait for the refueling?

Last time I checked, BoX is a FM simulator, not a Real Life Simulator (thats why we dont have clickable cockpits, for example). And the whole community likes that, me included.

So the answer for the second question is... no.

There is no intention of implementing this. It has been argued dozens of times in these forums since the game was released in EA. The DEVS have said no. Just let it die already.

• Upvote 1

Isn't it so that planes that land at any friendly field, even wheels up, are not lost from the slots?

2 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Sounds realistic to me... jump out, quick pee, ram a sandwich and a cuppa down your neck, throw up behind dispersal, jump back in ready to go!

• Haha 2

Plane mechanic simulator,new game on the market on sale on steam.

for me you spend enough time flying from a to b,without extra time spent on refueling etc

• Upvote 1

I hate to respawn.

So I would love to rearm refuel repair.

in accelerated time of course.

Would be MORE realistic than respawn!

If you want it realistic, you will need to taxi to where the fuel is, and by the time all is ready, it would have been at least 15 minutes, if not more.

Not many people would want to wait that long.

But if its made accelerated , so you land, and have taxi to the fuel, wait 2 minutes or something around that, then can take off again, I would not mind it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

would add realism?

Last time I checked, planes need to be refueled in order to fly again.

So the answer is... yes.

Do we want to wait for the refueling?

Last time I checked, BoX is a FM simulator, not a Real Life Simulator (thats why we dont have clickable cockpits, for example). And the whole community likes that, me included.

So the answer for the second question is... no.

I wasn't suggesting we look at each aircraft and check how long it actually took ground crew to refuel the aircraft, reload stores or fix a broken slat, canopy, etc...  God, it only takes like 2 minutes in DCS to do all of the above, maybe 3 depending on damage.  If I was asking for real REALISM then I would go get myself a real pilots license instead of flying sims!

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

++off topic on++

please dont speak for the "whole community" . I dont like the "press E start automatic" and I´m not allone here ,belive me.

thank you.😉

++off topic off++

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I really want the refuel rearm option...

the repair wouldn’t be realistic but if it were included it would be awesome if repairs were shown as patches :)  

Like section of a wing riddled with holes patched up with visual representation and sent out, but structural damage no way.. 

so a limited ground repair... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So you are sat there, waiting while the mechanics refuel your kite, the armourers bung in another load of ammo and maybe hang on a bomb or two, the riggers and fitters look over your kite and stick little patches over the bullet holes and put some duct tape around the splintered wing spar, your batman is painting on little swastikas/stars for your totally realistic number of kills you just got when BANG! some nasty Fascist/Bolshevik comes hurtling in over your airfield and shoots the crap out of your almost repaired plane.  What do you do then? Respawn unrealistically or go and play Civ5?

Edited by 216th_Cat
  • Haha 3

No, fortunately you have BoFP, Funeral Procession and you have a hasty ceremony with the AI priest and amazingly intact bot dead because this game isn’t rated M for Mature.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Semor76 said:

++off topic on++

please dont speak for the "whole community" . I dont like the "press E start automatic" and I´m not allone here ,belive me.

thank you.😉

++off topic off++

You like it. Otherwise why you consume something you don't like? Doesnt makes sense to me

If the devs had the money with a fully animated ground crew then I would love it. But it would take a rediculous amount of effort to animate it to a point where it really wouldn't be worth it.

So for this reason; I'm out.

Unrealistic in most cases, however I always feel obligated in these threads to point out that the Po-2/U2 was rearmed and refueled in just a few minutes, over and over again all night long.

Is this one aircraft reason enough for this feature? Likely not.

However it does fly in the face a bit of the blanket "it's not realistic" statements.

5 hours ago, PerfectionMan said:

Would add more realism to the game IMO.

3 hours ago, PerfectionMan said:

I wasn't suggesting we look at each aircraft and check how long it actually took ground crew to refuel the aircraft, reload stores or fix a broken slat, canopy, etc...  God, it only takes like 2 minutes in DCS to do all of the above, maybe 3 depending on damage.  If I was asking for real REALISM then I would go get myself a real pilots license instead of flying sims!

So you don't want 'real' realism but you want the fake realism of DCS?:wacko:

2 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

You like it. Otherwise why you consume something you don't like? Doesnt makes sense to me

Because he needs to like 100% of this game to play it? This does not make any sense.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Cue LukeFF and his horse giff.

I would, but I'm at lunch right now. 🐴

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Let’s wait until the people in MP have the maturity and self discipline to taxi out to the runway properly before wondering if it is worthwhile to introduce a refuel and rearm system. 

• Upvote 8

28 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Let’s wait until the people in MP have the maturity and self discipline to taxi out to the runway properly before wondering if it is worthwhile to introduce a refuel and rearm system. 

A M E N. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It's always funny when the people who want R&R because "realism" pivot to "compressed time" when they find out how long it actually takes to rearm and refuel a WW2 fighter.

Edited by BraveSirRobin
  • Like 1

Like I said, it wouldn't be realistic but it would be beneficial, especially when there are no aircraft left and you don't want to rik despawning.

I'm not a fan of the idea myself but to say it's less realistic than what we have now is arguing for the sake of arguing, an internet past time. Pilots didn't jump in a brand new aircraft after a mission irl. They went to a debriefing. Or if they were unlucky, to a pow camp. Laugh at someone who wants RRR and tell them to sit and wait 2 hours. Try waiting 3-4 years until the war is over before returning to your airbase el-oh-el. That's me laughing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

So you are sat there, waiting while the mechanics refuel your kite, the armourers bung in another load of ammo and maybe hang on a bomb or two, the riggers and fitters look over your kite and stick little patches over the bullet holes and put some duct tape around the splintered wing spar, your batman is painting on little swastikas/stars for your totally realistic number of kills you just got when BANG! some nasty Fascist/Bolshevik comes hurtling in over your airfield and shoots the crap out of your almost repaired plane.  What do you do then? Respawn unrealistically or go and play Civ5?

Umm, obviously I scream ‘Vulcher!’ In chat and demand they review server rules....

lol, actually I’d be one of the planes strafing, who am I kidding 🥴

20 minutes ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

I'm not a fan of the idea myself but to say it's less realistic than what we have now is arguing for the sake of arguing, an internet past time. Pilots didn't jump in a brand new aircraft after a mission irl. They went to a debriefing. Or if they were unlucky, to a pow camp. Laugh at someone who wants RRR and tell them to sit and wait 2 hours. Try waiting 3-4 years until the war is over before returning to your airbase el-oh-el. That's me laughing.

Not sure why you're laughing.  Just pretend that when you exit and spawn back in that the you're a different pilot that the one who just exited the last mission.  Just like when you spawn back in after dying.  Or really, when you spawn back in for any reason at all.  It's a lot more realistic than the the 30 seconds that most R&R fans are willing to wait.  It's a game.  You're not really a WW2 combat pilot.  So just pretend that you're a different pilot when you spawn back in.

1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Not sure why you're laughing.  Just pretend that when you exit and spawn back in that the you're a different pilot that the one who just exited the last mission.  Just like when you spawn back in after dying.  Or really, when you spawn back in for any reason at all.  It's a lot more realistic than the the 30 seconds that most R&R fans are willing to wait.  It's a game.  You're not really a WW2 combat pilot.  So just pretend that you're a different pilot when you spawn back in.

That makes sense. But what about the online stats some folk are so fond of?

Yes it's a game, and if the development time and finances would allow, why not have it as an option that some folk obviously would like? It would make their enjoyment of the game much better and would not hurt those who find it unrealistic. I've used it myself in DCS. Repaired my P51 only to crash and burn on the next take off, forgot rudder trim, died had to respawn. Total waste of time.