Killroy-98

Playable Night Witches?

With the addition of the Po-2 it would be cool if we were able to play as the 43rd squadron (Night Witches) all they would have to do is add female portraits and maybe a custom skin for the ol' crop duster.

They'd have to build a second version of the indentikit software with separate female facial components.  The pilot names would have to change and an alternate female set would need to be made, along with some ability for the UI to switch between the two.  There might need to be some female voice actors required too. 

4 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

They'd have to build a second version of the indentikit software with separate female facial components.  The pilot names would have to change and an alternate female set would need to be made, along with some ability for the UI to switch between the two.  There might need to be some female voice actors required too. 

Yeah it would be for one squad so it wouldn't be that hard except for building the new face software. Idk just a cool idea.

4 hours ago, Killroy-98 said:

With the addition of the Po-2 it would be cool if we were able to play as the 43rd squadron (Night Witches) all they would have to do is add female portraits and maybe a custom skin for the ol' crop duster.

Patience. It is coming.

• Upvote 3

One of my all time favourite video games was Trespasser, where you took the roll of Anne (voiced by Minni Driver). Anne was washed up on a remote island after a plane crash and this was where Jurassic Park had been created, but was now deserted apart from the abandoned Dinosaurs. So Anne had to explore the island to find an old radio set so that she could call for rescue, whilst encountering a variety of Dinosaur life, most of which took a fancy to her as a tasty morsel! You would monitor your health by looking down at your chest at the heart tattoo. The more full of blood this was, the nearer to death you were. I just thought that this might be adopted for our forthcoming female pilots, although I doubt they'd only be wearing a tight T-shirt to be able to see it!

trespassertattoo.jpg

Worse game ever.

”hand simulator 1.0”

Awful, horrible piece of crap game.

LOL - I mean BAD.

I'm wondering how a campaign for the Po-2 will work out.   My experience flying it in combat is that if there is any German AA at all, you are toast.  The poor thing cannot resist AA fire at all, and it's so slow that AA cannot miss.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

Nah - AA set to “low” and can avoid it.

Done it many times already in my special project mission with the U2.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Worse game ever.

”hand simulator 1.0”

Awful, horrible piece of crap game.

LOL - I mean BAD.

Ha ha! To each his own!

I have the U2 in PWCG right now.  Daylight only so it is not being done any favors.  AAA plus enemy fighters.  @gad11 Any feedback?  Is it survivable?

Also a historical question: there are reports of German fighter pilots shooting down U2s.  Were fighter units flying night missions on the eastern front?  Did they just catch some during the day?  Were they specialized units or was it just regular units going up at night?  

37 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Also a historical question: there are reports of German fighter pilots shooting down U2s.  Were fighter units flying night missions on the eastern front?  Did they just catch some during the day?  Were they specialized units or was it just regular units going up at night?  

Most U-2 claims by German pilots flying single-engined fighters happened during the day. An exception was JG 54. In 1942 parts of JG 54 also flew missions during the night to intercept the frequent Soviet nuisance raids and they claimed a number of U-2s.

In 1942 bomber units also flew a few occasional night fighter missions, for example KG 55 over Stalingrad. The first specialized night fighter units arrived on the eastern front in 1943 (NJG 100, NJG 200, parts of NJG 5 and 10.(NJ)/ZG1). They were mostly equipped with Bf-110s and Ju-88 C/Gs.

Edited by Juri_JS

46 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I have the U2 in PWCG right now.  Daylight only so it is not being done any favors.  AAA plus enemy fighters.  @gad11 Any feedback?  Is it survivable?

Keep your AA set at “low”.you're good.

I have a night/early morning mission with randomized, prowling 190’s if you want to take a look.

6 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@Juri_JS Thanks.  So U2s did fly daylight missions?

No bomber missions were flown during daylight, but the U-2 was also used extensively as liaison aircraft.

11 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'm wondering how a campaign for the Po-2 will work out.   My experience flying it in combat is that if there is any German AA at all, you are toast.  The poor thing cannot resist AA fire at all, and it's so slow that AA cannot miss.

I've started a campaign and all the missions are at night (no surprise) but my strategy is to let your wing men fly high and ahead of you (at least one) while you are around 200m. when your wing men get to the bomb target that will trigger the AI AAA and search lights to focus on them while you swoop in and bomb the targets. otherwise you'll be torn to shreds if the lights get on you.

9 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

No bomber missions were flown during daylight, but the U-2 was also used extensively as liaison aircraft.

Not to mention air ambulance.  That would have been a great addition to the career. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Hi Pat!

It's very survivable. I have everything on default (AA and fighters) and while I have been shot down for sure, I find if you go low and slow you can usually get to and from your target most of the time. I always see dogfights above me and German fighters that venture down have trouble hitting me because of speed and altitude. 

• Thanks 1